NJ Island Event

briansnat

I've seen some islands while canoeing that seem to be popular places for afternoon picnics.

I was wondering if there would be any interest in a cookout type event held on an island on some NJ lake or reservoir.

I know there aren't a real lot of canoers and kayakers among the northern NJ caching community, but if perhaps we can set up some sort of shuttle system, maybe non boat owners can also attend.

So would you be interested in attending such an event? If yes, indicate whether or not you own or have access to a boat.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests.../wawayanda.html

I think that Wawayanda has a boat livery. I know they have a picnic area. I know they have Islands, I don't know if you can picnic on the islands. I know that bears swim to one of the islands. I know this is a very good idea. I know that there are several good hikes and caches in Wawayanda area, among which are several newly placed, so interest should be high.

I would love to attend something like this if possible. I have a canoe and a kayak.

Maybe if that creepy Snat guy isn't there...

I think that Wawayanda has a boat livery. I know they have a picnic area. I know they have Islands, I don't know if you can picnic on the islands. I know that bears swim to one of the islands. I know this is a very good idea. I know that there are several good hikes and caches in Wawayanda area, among which are several newly placed, so interest should be high.

I would love to attend something like this if possible. I have a canoe and a kayak.

I think he knew all the things I knew, especially the part about the island, having a picnic on it, and that the bears live on it, and ferrying people who don't have their own mode of transport to the island. Yes, I think he knew all those things too. It is part of the plan. Hope you enjoy lunch or being lunch. <_<

Seriously sounds like a wonderful day.

Any ideas as to where you would like to hold the event?

Some thoughts:

Wawayanda Lake (they have boat rentals)

Split Rock Reservoir (a nice island with a popular picnic spot, but a loooong paddle)

Green Turtle Pond (a very short shuttle from island to shore, but island is kind of small)

Any other ideas?

Any ideas as to where you would like to hold the event?

Some thoughts:

Wawayanda Lake (they have boat rentals)

Split Rock Reservoir (a nice island with a popular picnic spot, but a loooong paddle)

Green Turtle Pond (a very short shuttle from island to shore, but island is kind of small)

Any other ideas?

Wawayanda lake sounds cool, especially if they have boat rentals. I got stung by a bee on the splitrock island so I'm not partial to that one :blink:

Besides, I really want to find the the trail maps for "Ay Carumba". I'm pretty sure the coordinates for them are out in the middle of the lake somewhere, and I had a theory that maybe they were on the island :unsure:

Either split rock or Waywayanda would be fine with me. Which has more caches around it?

Brian has a lot of nice hydrocaches at Split Rock and there are some hiking caches too. Wawayanda may have more caches overall, but they are all terrestrial. Of course you could bring a bike and do a biathlon :D

Edited by trowel32

This sounds like it would make for a fantastic event!! In a month or two of course when it's a bit warmer :D

PolskiKrol and I have a couple of inflatable kayaks (though last time we were out we snapped a paddle in half, so we'll need to go shopping for a new one!) I can't wait until it's warm enough to kayak! Wayawanda might make for a good choice though if they have rentals; it would enable more people to come.

I walked to ALL of Brian's hydro caches at Split Rock in January so it would be fun just to go and watch the hunts but I don't have a canoe. But if there is space I can paddle well.

Wawayanda would be cool because of the rentals.

Either way I would enjoy the event.

if he waits to July wwe could watchyou swim!

I agree with everything Packanack knows, except the bear thing which I think he made up.

My wife and I went to the Wawayanda beach recently and found the area quite pleasant and accessible. Also, for those without canoes or access to Paramus the fact that you can rent boats (for the canoe adverse) and canoes (for the paddle boat adverse) leads me to change my vote.

So I change my vote from "I'll show up anywhere" to "I'll show up anywhere but wawayanda would be fun"

If the bears show up too that would be even more fun just don't feed them.

I agree with everything Packanack knows, except the bear thing which I think he made up.

My wife and I went to the Wawayanda beach recently and found the area quite pleasant and accessible. Also, for those without canoes or access to Paramus the fact that you can rent boats (for the canoe adverse) and canoes (for the paddle boat adverse) leads me to change my vote.

So I change my vote from "I'll show up anywhere" to "I'll show up anywhere but wawayanda would be fun"

If the bears show up too that would be even more fun just don't feed them.

I'm hesitant to go to a state park because there may be permits involved and prohibitions about gathering on an island and rangers to deal with

I'd rather just pick an island, post the coords, bring some burgers and a small gas grill and go, which is why I'm leaning towards an island on Split Rock I know of that has a flat, open area that would make for a nice picnicing spot.

Not a short paddle or hike (it's close enough to shore that we can spot hikers and pick them up), but who says every event has to be easy to get to? Hey, how many 5 star terrain events are there?

One thing to consider if this is going to involve a large group of people is whether there will be any "facilities", especially if it is an all day affair and if the island is a long ways from shore. You don't want people "going" all over a small island or in the water - could get nasty with a lot of people. I know...why do I even have to think of these things <_<:P

One thing to consider if this is going to involve a large group of people is whether there will be any "facilities", especially if it is an all day affair and if the island is a long ways from shore. You don't want people "going" all over a small island or in the water - could get nasty with a lot of people. I know...why do I even have to think of these things :D;)

I really don't see a major turnout for something like this. Maybe 10-20. The island I have in mind is big enough that people can move about and the mainland is only a very short paddle away.

Of course people are always welcome to pack out their poopies. I try to be low impact in the woods, but there I draw the line. No bags of doots in my pack!

One thing to consider if this is going to involve a large group of people is whether there will be any "facilities", especially if it is an all day affair and if the island is a long ways from shore. You don't want people "going" all over a small island or in the water - could get nasty with a lot of people. I know...why do I even have to think of these things :D:huh:

I really don't see a major turnout for something like this. Maybe 10-20. The island I have in mind is big enough that people can move about and the mainland is only a very short paddle away.

Of course people are always welcome to pack out their poopies. I try to be low impact in the woods, but there I draw the line. No bags of doots in my pack!

Yeah - I don't think I would want to pack that out either ;) I'll save my doots for the mainland. When I worked on an island in Maine they had one of those little camp potties, but that's kind of a pain and I'm not volunteering to bring one :D

On July 16--I did the Sunrise thing at the Meadowlands-- I was reluctantly brought into the trip, because my Husband was running it. It is not all that bad. There is a boat livery there with canoes, solo kayaks and tandem kayaks. There is a place on the river to stop for lunch, there is almost no place to stop in the Meadowlands itself.

Edited by Orly

Ok, I'll bite -How about we do it on August 11 a Saturday starting at 4 and ending at dark.

Alternatives August 12 a Sunday.

If I read Mr. Snat's response correctly, I would read it like this: It is a good idea, but it is not up to him to lead us to the show as he may have other things on his plate at the moment and there is nothing wrong with someone else stepping up to try and put it together.

Now it is up to those who want to go to say they want to go. And to spread the word.

Splitrock Reservoir-no issue with gates or park being full or fees.

Consensus--yes or no.

I am looking at the calendar right now. Aug 11th and 12th are out for me. Perhaps the following weekend. It will be at Split Rock at the coords of my Le Rocher Pendu cache (N 40° 59.479 W 074° 26.353 ) and I will make it a BYOF&D deal just to make things easy.

Edited by briansnat

Ok --looking at 8/18 or 8/19 =Splitrock

Le Rocher Pendu cache (N 40° 59.479 W 074° 26.353 ) and make it a BYOF&D

Time ?

Probably 11 am so we have all afternoon. Have to be off the reservoir by dusk.

I just have to double check the dates and I'll submit an event page.