Metric Tape

Team Fawlty

Does anybody know where (in the US) to get a 100-200M open reel tape measure? All I can find are the ones with front side US and the back side metric. I can live with that kind, but would prefer to find one with the front side metric.

Thanks,

Brendan

Edited by Team Fawlty

Front side / backside problem? I unreeled mine all the way, disconnected the reel end, flipped it over, reconnected it.

Had it for years, from my dad, so I can't steer you on where you can get one. Mine is probably an antique. I was surprised it was both metric and english. Seems to be cloth, so I try not to use it too often. I should get a newer fiberglass type. Home Depot? Hmmmm

Dave,

I got a similar 50 meter tape from my local Harbor Freight and the cheap plastic ring snapped the first time I used it. I still kept it in the car and ended up pushing a nail through the actual tape last weekend when I needed a 100 meter measurement (yes, that took two measurements to get). It worked for what I needed it, but it certainly isn't my primary tape.

As for accuracy, I would have to say I will sacrifice a bit of accuracy for less weight. I am not surveying, just hunting for the marks, so I have other tools in my arsenal: a probe, my 20/20 eyesight, my metal detector, and the sheer size of the tops of most benchmark monuments; in case my tape has stretched an inch or so over 50 feet of measurement. I got the cheapest tape I could find from Lowe's (100 foot for something like $15) and have been completely happy with it for three years. I treat it with somewhat less than total respect and if it breaks I will simply buy a new one.

Dave,

I got a similar 50 meter tape from my local Harbor Freight and the cheap plastic ring snapped the first time I used it. I still kept it in the car and ended up pushing a nail through the actual tape last weekend when I needed a 100 meter measurement (yes, that took two measurements to get). It worked for what I needed it, but it certainly isn't my primary tape.

As for accuracy, I would have to say I will sacrifice a bit of accuracy for less weight. I am not surveying, just hunting for the marks, so I have other tools in my arsenal: a probe, my 20/20 eyesight, my metal detector, and the sheer size of the tops of most benchmark monuments; in case my tape has stretched an inch or so over 50 feet of measurement. I got the cheapest tape I could find from Lowe's (100 foot for something like $15) and have been completely happy with it for three years. I treat it with somewhat less than total respect and if it breaks I will simply buy a new one.

Dave,

I use the tape for sar training on a regular basis laying out 100m pace counts through various types of rough terrain. It also takes quite a beating benchmarking in the mountains. A couple of inches or so one way or another doesn't really matter when your laying it out over all the ups and downs that I run into in the woods.

Dave

Thanks for the responses.

I don't understand how it makes any difference what side of the tape is the 'front side' or how one could even tell. I must be missing some esoteric point.

True - it is only esoteric - but sometimes I like to be that way :unsure: I guess it just bugs me a bit that I can't find exactly what I want.

Front side / backside problem? I unreeled mine all the way, disconnected the reel end, flipped it over, reconnected it.

Good idea - I guess I wiill just do that.

Brendan

Edited by Team Fawlty