reasons for wet log books,,,,

rk91279

Of the caches I've found that the log book has been wet or even damp it is sometime because of cachers putting a pen or pencil in the baggie with it and in doing so a hole getting poked in the bag. It may be a better idea to leave the writing instrument outside the bag to prevent this. any thoughts? maybe a better plastic bag would help too.

We've had this discussion recently. If you have a writing instrument outside of the bag, someone will put it in the bag for you. If you don't put a writing instrument in the cache at all, then someone will leave one in there for you. If you make the cache too small for a writing instrument, they will usually find another way to damage it. Rule of thumb: if the cache container can't keep it dry, then the bag doesn't stand a chance either.

How many wet ammo boxes have you found? Me, maybe 5 in 5 years.

I've got about 5 ammo boxes right now that I have to go and put new logbooks in. I started getting logs stating that the logbooks needed replacing. The only thing I can think of is a week or so ago we had a few rainy days. During that period, a particular cacher came through the area and logged a number of my caches. My guess is that instead of covering the cache and logbook while logging, he allowed the rain to go in the ammo boxes.

Ammo boxes are just as good and holding water in as they are at keeping water out. Very frustrating. If you go caching in the rain, please take care not to let the rain in the cache.

my vote goes to "non-waterproof containers." If you choose a waterproof container, the logbook doesn't even need to be in a plastic bag.

I will use the Walmart waterproof match holders for micros. What I've found is if the log gets a little wet- such as signing the log in the rain- just a little bit of water or dampness-what happens is this water gets "locked" in the container when the airtight lid goes back on. The log doesn't dry- it gets moldy.

I will use McDonalds drinkng straws -cut them down, staple together one end of the straw and place them over the point of pencil to keep pencilpoint from puncturing bag.

Having put out almost 200 caches in south Louisiana I can tell you water is a problem. As previously stated if the container won't keep it dry the ziplock bag won't keep it dry for long. I put out a lot of micros and its easy to find 35 mm cans, matchholders, etc, that are almost 100 % waterproff.

However it rains a lot in LA and folks cache in the rain so water gets locked in your waterproff cont. , condensate forms, etc.

Bottom line....... you're always going to have problems no matter what you do.

ANSWER.......all cachers should carry logs in ziplocks to put in caches they find that need them. I print logs in Excel, cut them, get hundreds of small bags at a craft store, and in no time have a sack full of logs.

Even folks who don't put out a lot of caches can help in this way.

being new - I have a question - is there a standard "log book" format? I haven't gotten my first find yet - so haven't seen one (though wish me luck - tomorrow i am headed out of town and have some caches along my route to look for!)

If there is a standard - can someone post an example (see Bamboozle's post above).

Thanks.

Has anyone tried saving those little packs of dessicant that seem to be shipped in all sorts of different products? I keep a few in the hard case for my digital camera when I go snorkeling and they help with fogging up and just provide some 'insurance'. Granted they won't help if the log gets poured on, but with the usual dampness they may keep things drier.

Just an idea - I have a few that I am going to mess with. Have not looked for a source of them online, but they must be out there somewhere.

Has anyone tried saving those little packs of dessicant that seem to be shipped in all sorts of different products? I keep a few in the hard case for my digital camera when I go snorkeling and they help with fogging up and just provide some 'insurance'. Granted they won't help if the log gets poured on, but with the usual dampness they may keep things drier.

Just an idea - I have a few that I am going to mess with. Have not looked for a source of them online, but they must be out there somewhere.

That's a good idea. <_<

That's a good idea. <_<

We drop a few in each of our Ammocan caches. From my experiences, this cuts down on having a damp log book in a watertight container when others open it in the rain, etc.

Of the caches I've found that the log book has been wet or even damp it is sometime because of cachers putting a pen or pencil in the baggie with it and in doing so a hole getting poked in the bag. It may be a better idea to leave the writing instrument outside the bag to prevent this. any thoughts? maybe a better plastic bag would help too.

Keep your eye out at some of the discount stores for organizers that they are unloading once the calendar is out dated. They sometimes can go as cheap as a notebook. I found a bunch of leather ones for 2.00 each. The nice thing about these is that once you get rid of the calendar, they usually have a higher grade paper in this AND a place to slide the pen into on the side. If you replace the pen in there with one that is shorter than the length of the notebook, it will not have an exposed point.

A few other thoughts although none of this is bullet proof:

1. Use the highest grade freezer style baggies you can find for the log book.

2. Use a pen with a retractable point.

3. Leave extra baggies in the cache for inevitable moment when every precaution you have taken is negated by a King Kong Cacher.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

That's a good idea. <_<

We drop a few in each of our Ammocan caches. From my experiences, this cuts down on having a damp log book in a watertight container when others open it in the rain, etc.

I save every bit of dessicant that I can find, however once the dessicant becomes saturated with moisture that it has absorbed either from the air or direct contact with water, it cannot absorb any more until the water is baked out of it.

Dessicant packs are reusable by putting baking them for a period of time in the oven. I have half of a gallon of the stuff for a nonrelated project, and I just put the jar in the oven every week or two and the stuff is renewed.

Dessicant is cheap in bulk from some vendors including eBay. It is also sold in larg bags as a flower drying agent.

They also come with much better french fries.

Heresy! <_<

I agree. Wendy's has the best french fries.

Topic? Well, we've had a rash of decon containers in the area which are in need of new log books because the containers are full of water. Some cache finders are not closing the lids all the way. Can't really come up with a way to idiot proof that...

I don't have ziplocks for my logbooks.

course, my log books are notebook sized...

and in ammo cans.

so far dry as a bone. :shrug:

I did create one ziplock bag before I found ammo cans to buy, Took a regular ziplock and turned it inside out then put a double layer of packing tape over the edges and the entire ziplock. was a lot of work, but there's no possible way to tear or poke through that bag without trying really really hard to do it intentionally.

Wet ones are a problem but not for me. I always carry a few logs in my wallet in little baggies too small for a pencil. I always carry a pen too so I can log my find and the next few can do the same till the owner can do maintenance. People are surprised that I have them but hey, it makes my life a little better and 5 or 6 take up no more room in my wallet than a credit card. They're about 1.5 inches wide and 8.5 inches long with lines on both sides and can fit in a micro film can or smaller. I don't leave the pen.

Where are some good places to find log sheets to print out?

I've created my own log sheets in MS Word which you can find on my web site (click on the files link or scroll down to the bottom):

http://ca.geocities.com/geocachingcanada/geocaching.html

Also, the 3 top reason for wet logs/caches in my opinion are as follows:

1) Use of a ziplock bag...When you find a small sandwich size container, it is very hard to put the log/ziploc back in the container without part of the ziploc hanging out and hence the cache not being closed properly. If the container is waterproof I think ziploc bags aren't needed.

2) Caches who find your cache in the rain...you open a cache in the rain, it will get wet!

3) Poor choice of container...although I have 6 caches in 600ml yogurt tubs and 2 years later the contents have not gotten wet. Although I don't know what I was thinking when I decided to use those as containers.

4) Cachers not closing the cache properly.