Kentucky Cemetery caches

Big Red Viking

What are the guidelines / protocol for cemetery caches in Kentucky? I recently tried to place one in TN only to find out that they are now illegal (older cemetery caches have been grandfathered). I have a cemetery in mind, but would like to address problems up front. Any and all info / help will be appreciated! ;)

I do not believe permission is necessary in KY to place a cache in a cemetery. It can be a plus, but is not required. I own several and have had no problems from reviewers. I would keep it discreet and respectful, don't place near a headstone for example.

Kentucky as a whole has been very good to caching as far as I know. KY State parks even place their own caches. I think it will stay this way as long as we keep respectful hides that do not cause problems.

Cemetary caches in Tennessee are no longer allowed due to an obscure law against playing games in cemetaries. The law has never been enforced, but the reviewers decided it was in thier best interests to abide by it once it was brought to their attention:

Tennessee Cemetery & Burial Site Laws

Statutory Laws

(Tennessee Code Annotated)

Title 46. Cemeteries

46-2-105. Crimes and offenses

No person shall willfully destroy, deface, or injure any monument, tomb, gravestone, or other structure placed in the cemetery, or any roadway, walk, fence or enclosure in or around the same, or injure any tree, plant or shrub therein, or hunt or shoot therein, play at any game or amusement therein, or loiter for lascivious or lewd purposes therein, or interfere, by words or actions, with any funeral procession or any religious exercises.

(;) A violation of this section is a Class E felony. ,

Class E Felony 1 to 6 years $3,000

Our local geocaching group has actually petitioned our legislators to alter the law to allow these types of caches, as our members often do CITO of these areas and have even done some restoration of markers and clearing of grown up areas. These sacred places have a lot of historical interest and I believe cachers (for the most part) are respectful and tasteful in thier usage of these public spaces.

For any geocachers planning a cemetery cache hide within the state of Kentucky:

Please feel free to write ahead to me at bluegrassreviewer@gmail.com if you have concerns about your geocache being publishable.

In general, cemetery caches hidden within Kentucky are fine as long as they are in a respectful location away from graves. Specific permission from the caretaker is always the best idea. Be prepared for me to ask for specific details about your cache hide if it is within a cemetery. I suggest putting any and all pertinent information about any hide within a Reviewer Note - it typically helps to get your cache published quicker and avoid any misunderstandings.

Please feel free to write ahead to me at bluegrassreviewer@gmail.com if you have concerns about your geocache being publishable.

In general, cemetery caches hidden within Kentucky are fine as long as they are in a respectful location away from graves. Specific permission from the caretaker is always the best idea. Be prepared for me to ask for specific details about your cache hide if it is within a cemetery. I suggest putting any and all pertinent information about any hide within a Reviewer Note - it typically helps to get your cache published quicker and avoid any misunderstandings.

I was going to state that the "other" KY reviewer has approval procedures nearly identical to yours. NAd those seem to work well, I might add.... :anitongue:

I was going to state that the "other" KY reviewer has approval procedures nearly identical to yours. NAd those seem to work well, I might add.... :anitongue:

Nearly identical, mostly because I was trained by Bluegrass Reviewer, and use the same templates. But if you want to contact me, you have to write to ironhorsereviewer@gmail.com Apart from that, BGR has pretty much summed up what we look for. If you have any specific information that you think would support where your cache is hidden, please send as much information as possible: measurements from headstones, descriptions of locations, photos, diagrams, all would be helpful. There is one more KY reviewer, but KY Admin sticks mostly to state parks and the DBNF.

EDIT: fixed my email link

Edited by IronHorseReviewer