There ought to be…

Hobo2

I know some states have their first cache highlighted with a star on the state geocoin. The ones that I can think of off the top of my head are:

Kansas, Massachusetts, and the soon-to-be New Hampshire.

**I think it would be cool to have geocoins commemorating the first geocaches in each state.**

Edited by Want2bemore

There ought to be some coins made commemorating each states first cache. Along with a short story from whoever placed the first cache in that state. What do you-all think? ;)

Not only is that a great idea but if all the states were cutout coins that can fit together to make a unified map of the USofA could be a cool geography tool for kids who are into caching and whose parents are into geocoins.

Never mind ... Texas and California would have to be huge to make the likes of Rhode Island and Delaware even large enough to etch their names.

The NNJC rocks :sad:

They minted a coin to commemorate the first cache placed in New Jersey, Gerbil Cache; finders of (this great cache in my favorite park!) can fill out a coupon to receive a coin! (btw, THANK YOU NNJC!)

Just got mine in the mail yesterday! A very nice coin that was definately earned ;)

WHAT!?!? Geocoins related to caching?!?!?! ;)

Sounds like an idea I could get behind. There are lots of state coins, so if this goes forward I'd call them something like "First Cache Coins" and not present them as "state coins".

See, the occasional good idea does get posted in here!

WHAT!?!? Geocoins related to caching?!?!?! ;)

Sounds like an idea I could get behind. There are lots of state coins, so if this goes forward I'd call them something like "First Cache Coins" and not present them as "state coins".

See, the occasional good idea does get posted in here!

[/quote)

Name them simply “1st Geocache”, then have them each look like the state they represent.

Edited by Hobo2

I do believe that Moun10bike has done this for Idaho even if Indirectly.

On this same theme, each state could have coins for each county to collect.

Maybe I had better learn how to make coins, can anyone help with that?

Have you any ideas what you would like to the coin to look like? I can point you in the right direction.

I do believe that Moun10bike has done this for Idaho even if Indirectly.

On this same theme, each state could have coins for each county to collect.

Maybe I had better learn how to make coins, can anyone help with that?

Have you any ideas what you would like to the coin to look like? I can point you in the right direction.

Sent e-mail

I had put a post in these forums for State organizations to contact me about manufacturing the entire contry as interlocking coins, similarly to Our Geocaching Pin Collection.

I only received 6-8 responses. I did not want to cause a huge uproar as we are located in New Jersey and don't feel it would be proper for us to manufacture other state coins without including them.

Our plan was to Manufacture the coins at near cost so the state organizations would actually sell their coins so they could generate revenue for their organizations and to promote caching within their state. I don't think the state organizations are the only one's who can be involved. I guess you would have to live in the state that you wanted manufactured.

If people are interested we will still consider it. Please contact us.

This is a cool Idea. It could be something along the lines of the Geocaching Zone coins. Except have more zones. Like maybe eight zones just take the existing zones divide them in half and make the coins 50-100% larger with a dot or number for the oldest cache in each state then on the back name the cache per state or by number.

The hardest would be the Northeast since there is a bunch of states and it might be hard to get all the cache names on the back.

DSC00899.JPG

DSC00901.JPG

Today the assembled coins are approximately 3" long by 2" high.

Assuming it was doubled it would be a whopping 6"X4" with each sector approximately .75"X2". Would be really cool when all connected.

This is a cool Idea. It could be something along the lines of the Geocaching Zone coins. Except have more zones. Like maybe eight zones just take the existing zones divide them in half and make the coins 50-100% larger with a dot or number for the oldest cache in each state then on the back name the cache per state or by number.

The hardest would be the Northeast since there is a bunch of states and it might be hard to get all the cache names on the back.

DSC00899.JPG

DSC00901.JPG

Today the assembled coins are approximately 3" long by 2" high.

Assuming it was doubled it would be a whopping 6"X4" with each sector approximately .75"X2". Would be really cool when all connected.

I like this idea, but as some have said it would be too big when you include some eastern stases, with enough room to write anything on them anyway.

I also agree it should be left up to each states chapter for the design.

But I don’t understand the lack of interest here, as Shop99er referred to. But of coarse do have strange interests, after all I Geocache?

I had a design similar to this mocked up and the price of the larger states would be well over $10 per coin.

Are there 50 people out there that can put up the $500 at least ($10 per coin per 50 states)?

If there are and enough people would be willing to prepay, I would be willing to move ahead with this as a limited edition coin run trackable with no icon (I am thinking 50 sets).

The only way I would do it is to have the entire 50 coin sets made at once though.

Maybe I would be surprised, but I don't think there is that much interest.

geo-mail me if you are interested......... but I won't hold my breath.

I had a design similar to this mocked up and the price of the larger states would be well over $10 per coin.

Are there 50 people out there that can put up the $500 at least ($10 per coin per 50 states)?

If there are and enough people would be willing to prepay, I would be willing to move ahead with this as a limited edition coin run trackable with no icon (I am thinking 50 sets).

The only way I would do it is to have the entire 50 coin sets made at once though.

Maybe I would be surprised, but I don't think there is that much interest.

geo-mail me if you are interested......... but I won't hold my breath.

I see what you are saying, but I think you are forgetting trading. I’ll just bet that if someone has been in this sport for a few years they have, or at least have had 50 coins pass through there fingers. Moreover, a true collector is willing to pay this kind of money for something so special.

I would want all the coins myself, but it would be something (collecting), that I would do over the long haul. Use the quarter for example, how many kids/collectors have been saving each state quarter when they come out.

Yes this would be a long term thing, that’s the point. I cant think of another item that would bring such anticipation in seeing each year as this would bring.

Hope you do it… put me down for 50, over time that is. How about minting only five this year, the first five states that had the first five caches, starting with Oregon. Then next year the next five states that joined this sport, and so on… Commemorating (if you can find it, someone is working on that very thing right now), the first cache of that state.

Thanks for the input.

Hobo2