Earthcache Help

Oilman

I need some help with trying to submit an EarthCache. I am using HTML tags in the code. I am under the character count on every one of the boxes.

Question 1. When I hit the submit button, here is the error I am getting. What is the problem?

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]

Cannot create a row of size 9813 which is greater than the allowable maximum of 8060. 

/forms/EarthCacheForm2.asp, line 131

Question 2. These two caches are on open / Public land ( it is not in any park system of any kind ). I am being forced to enter a telephone number but there is not one, so I am entering 111-111-1111. Is this a problem?

Thanks,

Oilman

I need some help with trying to submit an EarthCache. I am using HTML tags in the code. I am under the character count on every one of the boxes.

Question 1. When I hit the submit button, here is the error I am getting. What is the problem?

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]

Cannot create a row of size 9813 which is greater than the allowable maximum of 8060. 

/forms/EarthCacheForm2.asp, line 131

Question 2. These two caches are on open / Public land ( it is not in any park system of any kind ). I am being forced to enter a telephone number but there is not one, so I am entering 111-111-1111. Is this a problem?

Thanks,

Oilman

1. That sounds like a server issue dealing with size. Trim down the description more and more until it goes through -- if it doesn't, then contact the administrator

2. You still would be best to enter in some sort of contact number, such as the closet government authority, a public land's management office, or the like. Just throwing in random information tells nothing about the status of the area and doesn't provide a method to follow-up.

From the Earthcache Submittal Guidelines:

To meet the Earthcache guidelines and be approved, your EarthCache MUST:

* have received appropriate permission from the land owner or manager to place an EarthCache site on the land. For your EarthCache to be approved, you must list this information in the form below.

Every piece of land is owned and managed by someone or some entity. You've got to get the explicit okay from that authority, or the GSA won't approve the report.

I reported an Earthcache at a rest area off of an interstate highway, which I thought wouldn't need any permission at all. But I figured that I'd just make sure and try to get permission anyway before reporting it.

I'm really glad that I did, because both the DOT and fish and wildlife folks needed to okay it and had strong concerns about it being reported as an earthcache. They were mostly concerned about whether or not there would be any physical items (such as containers, stickers, signs, etc.) that would need to be installed at the site. Assuring them that there would be no additional physical evidence was the only way to get their approval.

-eP

From the Earthcache Submittal Guidelines:

To meet the Earthcache guidelines and be approved, your EarthCache MUST:

* have received appropriate permission from the land owner or manager to place an EarthCache site on the land. For your EarthCache to be approved, you must list this information in the form below.

Every piece of land is owned and managed by someone or some entity. You've got to get the explicit okay from that authority, or the GSA won't approve the report.

-eP

Oh, well, then that might be an issue. I am trying to make some Earth caches dealing with the levee breaches in New Orleans. I do not think anyone from the Amry corps of Engineers nor the goverment will sign off on what I have to say about them ( both the levees and the corps ). ;) . I live here, I have seen the evidence myself having gone to all of the failed levees in the city, and I am a geologist so I know what I am doing ( most of the time ).

I will see if I can track something down.

Thanks,

Oilman

This topic leads into my question. I'm planning several Earthcaches where I live based on glacial features. One will be driving up US Highway 10 from Moorhead to the top of an ancient lakeshore, and recording the altitude change (thereby showing the depth of the old glacial lake).

Who do I ask for permission for this? US Highway Department, county authorities, city road department, all of the above?

I understand the required need for permission, especially in parks, forests, etc., but I think it's going a little overboard to list a contact on a public roadway. That's my $0.02 anyway.

Oilman, It's possible the cache went through, even though it doesn't indicate that it did. My last Earthcache did just what you describe, but it went through OK on their end. I'd wait a day to see before I submitted it again or shoot them an email to ask about it.

Oh, well, then that might be an issue. I am trying to make some Earth caches dealing with the levee breaches in New Orleans. I do not think anyone from the Amry corps of Engineers nor the goverment will sign off on what I have to say about them ( both the levees and the corps ). <_< . I live here, I have seen the evidence myself having gone to all of the failed levees in the city, and I am a geologist so I know what I am doing ( most of the time ).

I will see if I can track something down.

Thanks,

Oilman

You could move the basic coordinates of the cache to a nearby park or other location that can still see the breaches.

An Earthcache is a cache without a container and logbook, like the Virtual caches, but one that shows off specific Geological Features like this one, "Cannonball Wash and the Diablo Formation."

earthcache_80.gifEarthcache

An Earthcache is a special place that people can visit to learn about a unique geoscience feature or aspect of our Earth. Earthcaches include a set of educational notes and the details about where to find the location (latitude and longitude). Visitors to Earthcaches can see how our planet has been shaped by geological processes, how we manage the resources and how scientists gather evidence to learn about the Earth. For more information about Earthcaches, visit http://www.earthcache.org/.

So an earthcache shows off a geological feature.

Is there a cache without an actual container that could show other interesting things- like remnants of an old home from civil warm times or something along those lines?

I am interested in that kind of stuff.

I am still a little confused. I went to Waymarking site and in my area there are a few historical signs marked, a waymark that is someones stupid blog online and a mcdonalds!!! What a useless site.

Is there a cache without an actual container that could show other interesting things- like remnants of an old home from civil warm times or something along those lines?

I looked up local earth caches and found an old building- i think a church. Posted 2/07 How is that geological?

I looked up local earth caches and found an old building- i think a church. Posted 2/07 How is that geological?

If you are talking about this one, it's the Orton Geological Museum! It's made of 40 different kinds of stone from Ohio. From the description it also appears that the way the rocks are arranged is symbolic of something about Ohio geology and there are features on the building that are related to Ohio geology. Sounds pretty well related to geology to me--and it sounds interesting. I'll have to add that one to my to-do list. Thanks for pointing it out!

Edited by Neos2