Suggested list of enhancements

Desert Trekker

Here are my suggestions for enhancements to the geocache web site. A lot of these arise because there are relatively few caches in my country the UAE (currently only 52). These are widely dispersed and my cache hunting ground in very large, encompassing our neighbouring country, Oman and on occasions Qatar, Saudi, Bahrain and Kuwait.

1. That the “Search Travel Bugs” page shows the Country, as well as the location for the Travel Bug. It’s nice to know which part for the world my bugs are in – the cache name doesn’t really help. Of course I can open the cache Web page to find out but it would be nice to have on the summary page.
  2. The “All Geocaches In Country” page should always have a check box to filter out caches already found. This check box appears randomly, sometimes it is there and other times not – it is very annoying to have to go to a “new Search” to filter out my finds.
  3. I would like to see the “(filter out finds)” option for “List newest in <country>” on the “My Account Details” page. We only have 50 odd caches in the UAE so this is the search usually used here in place of “Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates”
  4. On the “Add/Edit Insta-Notify Subscription” page I would like to see the option “Posted a Note” to the existing ones of
    • Found it
    • Retract Listing
    • Didn't find it
    • Temporarily Disable Listing
    • Archive Enable
    • Listing
    • Unarchive
    • Update Coordinates
    • Publish Listing
    • Needs Maintenance
    I am more interested in notes that are posted against a cache than the very rarely used options such as “Retract Listing”.
  5. On the “Add/Edit Insta-Notify Subscription” page I would like to an option added to “Type to watch” to be “all types”. When I am watching an area I would like information about all of the caches in it. The only way I can do this is by creating a notification page for each individual type. This is most annoying especially as we only have a very small number of caches in the entire country.
  6. I would like the limit of 80 km on the “Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates” removed. The search only gives me 26 caches. If the limit was taken off I could more easily see caches in neighbouring countries that I could also go for. The UAE is small and it is easy to visit Oman, Saudi, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait. These all fall within my caching area and it would be very useful to see all of these caches as the result of a single search instead of having to first select an individual country.
  7. On the “All Geocaches” summary page I would like to see “number of finds” and “number of did not finds”. This would give me an idea of how popular a cache was and some sort of indication of how difficult it was to find.
  8. On the “All Geocaches” summary page I would like to see “terrain” and “difficulty”.
  9. On the travel bug page, I would like the photos in the records to “pop up” when I hover the cursor over the icon in the same way that they do on the cache page logs.
  10. I would like to see photos also included in the “pocket queries” results. Often you need the photos in order to find the cache.
  11. I would like to see photos also included in the Geocaching WAP site (which is otherwise excellent). Often you need the photos in order to find the cache.

All these suggestions sound great but I would like to just be able to not see servor busy errors about everytime I go to the cache pages, that would be a great start. ;)

We hardly ever get "Server Busy" errors :sad: , maybe because, being in the UAE we are 12 hours ahead of LA, I use the service while most users are asleep.

A couple of workarounds for your suggestions.

I use http://www.geocachingadmin.com/search.pl a my home page and it is very easy to add a few favorite links.

After using the default 50 mi/ 80 km filtered search from your home coordinates, add &dist=200 to the url which will give you 200 miles. Then save the url as a Link on home page that I mentioned or just a a favorite in your web browser.

For your newest in country search, just add &f=1 to the url and save that as well.

A couple of workarounds for your suggestions.

I use http://www.geocachingadmin.com/search.pl a my home page and it is very easy to add a few favorite links.

After using the default 50 mi/ 80 km filtered search from your home coordinates, add &dist=200 to the url which will give you 200 miles. Then save the url as a Link on home page that I mentioned or just a a favorite in your web browser.

For your newest in country search, just add &f=1 to the url and save that as well.

Thanks for this - your suggestions certainly help. I like the list of addtiions to the URL, I'm now hunting to see what else I can find. :anitongue:

• I would like to see photos also included in the “pocket queries” results. Often you need the photos in order to find the cache.
  • I would like to see photos also included in the Geocaching WAP site (which is otherwise excellent). Often you need the photos in order to find the cache.

Pictures to find geocaches? I thought that's what GPSrs were for. Maybe it's a foreign thing... very rarely have I ever seen a spoiler picture on a cache page. Can you post a link for an example? That's very interesting, I wonder why they do that... :anitongue:

Here are my suggestions for enhancements to the geocache web site. A lot of these arise because there are relatively few caches in my country the UAE (currently only 52). These are widely dispersed and my cache hunting ground in very large, encompassing our neighbouring country, Oman and on occasions Qatar, Saudi, Bahrain and Kuwait.

1. That the “Search Travel Bugs” page shows the Country, as well as the location for the Travel Bug. It’s nice to know which part for the world my bugs are in – the cache name doesn’t really help. Of course I can open the cache Web page to find out but it would be nice to have on the summary page.
  2. The “All Geocaches In Country” page should always have a check box to filter out caches already found. This check box appears randomly, sometimes it is there and other times not – it is very annoying to have to go to a “new Search” to filter out my finds.
  3. I would like to see the “(filter out finds)” option for “List newest in <country>” on the “My Account Details” page. We only have 50 odd caches in the UAE so this is the search usually used here in place of “Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates”
  4. On the “Add/Edit Insta-Notify Subscription” page I would like to see the option “Posted a Note” to the existing ones of
    • Found it
    • Retract Listing
    • Didn't find it
    • Temporarily Disable Listing
    • Archive Enable
    • Listing
    • Unarchive
    • Update Coordinates
    • Publish Listing
    • Needs Maintenance
    I am more interested in notes that are posted against a cache than the very rarely used options such as “Retract Listing”.
  5. On the “Add/Edit Insta-Notify Subscription” page I would like to an option added to “Type to watch” to be “all types”. When I am watching an area I would like information about all of the caches in it. The only way I can do this is by creating a notification page for each individual type. This is most annoying especially as we only have a very small number of caches in the entire country.
  6. I would like the limit of 80 km on the “Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates” removed. The search only gives me 26 caches. If the limit was taken off I could more easily see caches in neighbouring countries that I could also go for. The UAE is small and it is easy to visit Oman, Saudi, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait. These all fall within my caching area and it would be very useful to see all of these caches as the result of a single search instead of having to first select an individual country.
  7. On the “All Geocaches” summary page I would like to see “number of finds” and “number of did not finds”. This would give me an idea of how popular a cache was and some sort of indication of how difficult it was to find.
  8. On the “All Geocaches” summary page I would like to see “terrain” and “difficulty”.
  9. On the travel bug page, I would like the photos in the records to “pop up” when I hover the cursor over the icon in the same way that they do on the cache page logs.
  10. I would like to see photos also included in the “pocket queries” results. Often you need the photos in order to find the cache.
  11. I would like to see photos also included in the Geocaching WAP site (which is otherwise excellent). Often you need the photos in order to find the cache.

12. Have the ability to tie two or more user profiles to the same log entry. For instance, when I go caching with the same person often, we both log the same thing separately but say the same thing. Would be nice to handle it with one log entry, but have it count as a find for all involved.

Good suggestions - but some of them already exist on the site.

:) Add &f=1 to the end of the results page URL. That will filter out your finds.

4. On the “Add/Edit Insta-Notify Subscription” page I would like to see the option “Posted a Note” to the existing ones of...

:) I don't know if that will be implemented... Read here.

:P This has been asked MANY times before - Yes it's a pain, but once it's set up you never have to do it again, and there's no limit to the NUMBER of notifications you can set up, right? I guess I don't see the need to include the All Types, but it would make it easier. Maybe there's a reason that we don't know as to why it was set up the way it was. I'd LOVE to hear that reason.

B) Add &dist=100 to get 100 miles, and that number is completely variable IN MILES. I did a test and ran &dist=10 miles from one point and got 20 caches. Same point, with &dist=750 and got 142,119 :)

:D Isn't it already there?

dc4122c7-817b-4ff2-9567-5fd096b01179.jpg

:P Probably not going to happen because of bandwidth limitations. However, all of the photos that are LINKED on the page are LINKED in the PQ if it's in the description. Also - if it's HTML formatted, it will have the image HTML and should display if you're online. Are you talking about including the images from the LOGS?

B) I thought the whole purpose of the WAP site was to reduce the bandwidth to navigate - just give it the bare-bones so that it doesn't take as long. The photos would increase the download time, right?