Community Support for New Map System

Just a bit of background:

I'm a Computer Engineer (in training) at the University of Pittsburgh. As part of our graduation requirements, we have to 'create' something. It's vague, but that's on purpose.

So I was driving home and I had my GPS on my dash and I was passing up all these shops and was thinking "Hmm, it would be great to have more waypoints on my GPS" and when I passed up the new express-way "Hmm, it would be great to up-to-date maps on my GPS".

So I got to thinking... why not create a wikipedia type thing for maps? People could draw new roads in (of course the new roads would be sent to users who live around them for review) and add in waypoints, etc. It would be up to date, free, people could export them to their GPS, make up to date driving directions (with construction (user updated)) and hopefully companies like Garmin/Magellan would use this data for their maps.

What do you think? Would you support it or not?

I think the real question would be "Would I trust it not?". Not too sure I would trust waypoints that just anyone could dump into a database.

Ummm, so what is Geocaching again?

:laughing:

It would all be user reviewed. The waypointed wouldn't go live until X number of users (from around the area) approved them.

And it related to Geocaching because this could be a new way to pocket query. Draw an area on the map and get the caches.

People could draw new roads in (of course the new roads would be sent to users who live around them for review) and add in waypoints, etc. It would be up to date, free, people could export them to their GPS, make up to date driving directions (with construction (user updated)) and hopefully companies like Garmin/Magellan would use this data for their maps.

I think there is already something similar to this in Austrailia. I forget its name, but its the road system mapped by GPS users. May have waypoints too. That I don't know about.