What do you use for making a medium sized cache?

Hello all. I've been using paintball loaders for my caches. Has anybody used these before? Their cheap ($1.50 @ walmart) and have spring loaded caps which I've found are pretty weather proof.

http://www.paintballemporium.com/paintball-tubes.html

What do you all use?

I suspect that if a paintballer were to stumble across one, they would steal it. :anitongue:

Personally, I use the lock and locks.

BTW, they are known as guppies.

Riffster is correct, paintball loaders are water resistant, not waterproof. As former paintballers we dove into shallow creeks & had to dump our front tubes cause they got wet. We played in a hurricane rain many yrs ago up in the Poconos that trashed our balls again, due to the tubes getting wet. Then again our balls on the gun were just as wet so we gave up since everyone was wearing ponchos & cheating anyway. :unsure:

If you dont mind doing constant maintenance on them then they are as good as mint tins, but not a excellent idea.

I picked up some neat tupperware style containers at my local dollar store, they just arent branded tupperware. But they have that flexible lid on them, rubber like. Not as good as lock n locks but lock n locks are hard to come by here right now & expensive. For some reason our local wally worlds dont stock em & the local food beast occasionally has them for over $7 for a medium size.

We have been testing the rubber lid container for a couple months now & so far its staying dry inside, the only issue is the paint is flexing off the lid lip wheres it being pulled to open.

nalgene will break.

DiS02 had some from her paintball playing days, about 8 yrs old, that had been exposed to sunlight for 6 mths before she recieved them. When she was getting ready to do her CAA cache she figured she would use 1 of them, emptied & cleaned of course.

First one she dropped & shattered in many shards, 2nd shattered also when she got umm mad & tossed it onto the ground. (not concrete or cement but plain old wooody dirt).

3rd & last one lasted until it got muggled, she wrapped cloth camo tape (like hunters use on their guns during season) to help protect it, just in case & it had been flat spray painted to help blend in.

None of these bottle were exposed to gas fumes because they were stored with our lexan lenses, & gas hates lexan, eats it right up.

They are a good idea but dont expect them to never break, everything eventually breaks, rusts, or walks off it its nice enough.

We were going to use a old otter box but we figured that would walk off fast for where we wanted to use it. And the wildlife refuge wont let us chain it to the tree :lol:

I tried building a smallish medium (or mebbe largish small) today out of PVC pipe with a screw on lid and round end cap. I've seen several of these in central KY made from larger bore pipe. Unfortunately, my 2 in x 8 in container made my roommate think I had a pipe bomb. Obviously not something I can safely put in an urban setting, but what about rural with the landowner having seen and ok'd? I plan on camo painting it and getting one of those "Hey it a geocache" stickers. Safe enough?

I tried building a smallish medium (or mebbe largish small) today out of PVC pipe with a screw on lid and round end cap. I've seen several of these in central KY made from larger bore pipe. Unfortunately, my 2 in x 8 in container made my roommate think I had a pipe bomb. Obviously not something I can safely put in an urban setting, but what about rural with the landowner having seen and ok'd? I plan on camo painting it and getting one of those "Hey it a geocache" stickers. Safe enough?

Sounds good man... Nowadays anything can be mis-constrewed for a bomb. Even a small container of hair gel! So with the sticker you should be fine.

P.S. Good idea...

What does everyone think of using a nalgene type waterbottle? (These are the unbreakable ones) Nalgenes are exceedingly expensive but i know there are generics out there for much cheaper. has anyone used these before?

I've seen these work well but get one with a widemouth. The narrow mouth ones are difficult to get things out of that people have wadded & rolled & crammed in them.

Quart and Gallon size plastic paint containers, the new square ones, the pour spout just pops right out and they have a nice wide mouth, also the lid has a seal and screws down over the lip of the container. So if you know someone thats a painter have them hook you up. I have put one of these out and they seem to work well so I am going to put more out.

human skulls, great for urban camo, though lacking a bit in the weatherproof department.

oh my goodness, that is the greatest idea for a cache container.

I have a human skull (realistic plastic replica) I buried it in my parent's crawlspace so it was just poking out of the sand as a practical joke on my dad. I think it'd be a killer cache container, though theft and police reports might be a problem. :huh: