Uploading to GPS - error message

I searched for this problem and didn't see anything relating. Have a 5 day old 76CSx and City Navigator v8. I have a 2gb microsd on the way, but figured in the mean time I will load California, Arizona, and Nevada onto my 128mb oem microsd card.

The area of map I highlighted was 111mb, I then hit "send to unit". It identifies my GPS and goes through the series of Building Index, Building Mapset, and then starts Sending Mapset. At 17% it halts with an error message and tells me to check the connection and make sure the device is turned on. Well, everything looks fine on my end.

When I check the status of the sd memory after, it says 18mb used 101mb free. Any clues to why it would crash when there is plenty of space left? Should I just wait for the other chip? Shouldn't I be able to load a partial map?

Thanks.

Terry

128mb Sandisk that came with the unit. I removed and reinstalled the memory card, but had the same result at almost the exact same spot.

You may have already tried this, but could you reformat the card? I know that is a real shot in the dark...but may be worth a try to see if it resolves the problem.

What brand card is it?

Thanks guys, but I will just wait until the 2gb card shows up. I don't have any microsd readers and no adapter for my laptop to format the same. It's probably the memory card because if I change the size of file loading it seems to stop at the same point in the card.

128mb Sandisk that came with the unit. I removed and reinstalled the memory card, but had the same result at almost the exact same spot.

You may have already tried this, but could you reformat the card? I know that is a real shot in the dark...but may be worth a try to see if it resolves the problem.

Just a follow up for others who may encounter these issues. I'm sure they've been well documented here before, but my search didn't find them.

I finally got an adapter to read the micro card in my laptop. In fact, it was necessary to re-format the original 128mb card that came with the 76CSx before I could load part of City Navigator. I was able to load 100mb directly onto the GPS with the USB cable.

A day later the 2gb micro sd was delivered and, during the loading of the entire mapset, gave the same error message. I then formatted that card and tried again without success using the USB cable. I had to transfer the mapset directly onto the card via the card reader on my laptop. The conclusion I draw is to avoid the USB cable for any substantial file transfers whenever possible.

Well, I had some frustration while doing what should be a simple tasks. The 76csx works well and Garmin maps look great, but so far the user friendly part of our relationship really sucks, for lack of a better word. Their software isn't written to follow basic install instructions as it won't completely install on any drive other than C. Loading the software onto my computer was almost as frustrating as loading into the GPS.

Finally, when you buy electronics, you assume there will be peripherals at additional costs. But it adds up pretty quickly if you want a handheld with decent maps and I don't even have a car mount yet. You can easily double the cost of the GPS by the time you're finished.

GPS 330

Maps 100

Case 20

MEM 30

DC 20

lens 20

protect

Then there's batteries/charger. I have rechargables from an older digital camera I'm no longer using, but probably another $40-$50 investment there. I'm almost at the point where I can finally start enjoying our newest toy for caching and traveling. :huh:

Edited by Turbobuick86