West Harrison FSR - British Columbia

Deneye

Just a heads-up for anyone interested, the West Harrison Forest Service Road that heads north from Weaver Creek all the way up to Tipella at the north end of Harrison Lake...

They are actively logging once again as far up as Trio Creek (50 km marker) with quite a bit right at the roadside around the Mystery Creek turn-off (about 36 km marker). They have installed new km markers all the way up (to 50), the road is freshly graded and can be travelled with a car.

I stopped in at Hale Creek along the way and the forest service boys have been there...the place is cleaned up, the shelter is torn down and they have installed garbage bins, picnic tables and fire rings. The road down is 4 WD only. It's quite washed out and ripped up from the norm but with the work they've down down at the beach I'm sure they'll be fixing the road soonly. (or maybe not, come to think of it, since there *is* boat access here..Doh!)

West Harrison from Doctor's Point, north to Tipella is still rough in places but hasn't changed. Clear of snow and driveable. Sloquet hotsprings were as great as usual although they've started charging the camping fee earlier this year.

Just a heads-up for anyone interested, the West Harrison Forest Service Road that heads north from Weaver Creek all the way up to Tipella at the north end of Harrison Lake...

They are actively logging once again as far up as Trio Creek (50 km marker) with quite a bit right at the roadside around the Mystery Creek turn-off (about 36 km marker). They have installed new km markers all the way up (to 50), the road is freshly graded and can be travelled with a car.

I stopped in at Hale Creek along the way and the forest service boys have been there...the place is cleaned up, the shelter is torn down and they have installed garbage bins, picnic tables and fire rings. The road down is 4 WD only. It's quite washed out and ripped up from the norm but with the work they've down down at the beach I'm sure they'll be fixing the road soonly. (or maybe not, come to think of it, since there *is* boat access here..Doh!)

West Harrison from Doctor's Point, north to Tipella is still rough in places but hasn't changed. Clear of snow and driveable. Sloquet hotsprings were as great as usual although they've started charging the camping fee earlier this year.

Wow, I did my Master thesis in this area over 20 years ago and drove the forestry road every day for a summer. Lots of great hikes and geology in the area and lots of fossil sites for those who like to collect. We used to camp at Wood Lake sometimes and catch trout for breakfast. I'll have to head up there again some day. I imagine there are a few caches along the route. Thanks for the memory flashback. :unsure:

I'll have to head up there again some day. I imagine there are a few caches along the route. Thanks for the memory flashback. :wub:

Go for it! [:D]

There are about half a dozen caches at the south end between the Sasquatch Inn and Grace lake with a few more along the trail all the way up to Tipella. I've been meaning to do them myself but can never seem to find the time when I am out there...maybe this weekend i'll get to make a cache-specific trip...

Just an FYI. The Hale creek campsite was cleaned up by the Herd of Turtles 4wd club and the tables, outhouses etc were courtesy of the ministry( I think). The club has adopted this site as the ministry no longer maintains it. Monthly runs will be held to maintain the site itself but the road will NOT be maintained. The worse the road gets the more we 4wheelers like it. LOL!

I belive the club gets some kind of support from the 4wd assoc. of BC or the province, hence the monthly maintenance runs but I don't really know any details. If you are interested in more info I suggest contacting the Herd at www.HOT4x4.ca

Cheers.