Cachemate and hints

Hmm...I guess I don't use any special software to load the info into Cachemate. I also run Mobipocket and when I hotsync the info goes to the Mobipocket Reader. I then go to Cachemate and run a scan to automatically load the info. into the program.

What are the methods you are describing?

OK. Mobipocket. I have no clue. There are two versions of CacheMate. Palm and Pocket PC. I am a Palm user. Now that you have provided additional information I expect you will get better advice.

Mobipocket reader allows you to read various documents in book form such as adobe files and ebooks. It does a nice job with letting you read the geocache files also.

Hmm...I guess I don't use any special software to load the info into Cachemate. I also run Mobipocket and when I hotsync the info goes to the Mobipocket Reader. I then go to Cachemate and run a scan to automatically load the info. into the program.

CacheMate does not read Mobipocket PDB files. There has to be a step that you're omitting.

CacheMate does not read Mobipocket PDB files. There has to be a step that you're omitting.

When I get my pocket queries I also check ebook format and I recieve a zip file with a ebook file along with the 2 GSAK files. I hotsync the ebook file and it ends up in the "Book" index of the pocket reader. Then I go to Cacsemate-options-rescan mem card and it scans and informes me that it will include the new data the next time I start Cachemate. My only problem is the hint thing, not that that's the end of the world.

Actually Mobipocket does a pretty good job of helping with the files. It allows you to load as many caches as you want in one file unlike the limit on Cachemate. You can also organize your caches into seperate "books". It has a nice search funtion also.

Fiatster AKA Pop'sse

When I get my pocket queries I also check ebook format and I recieve a zip file with a ebook file along with the 2 GSAK files. I hotsync the ebook file and it ends up in the "Book" index of the pocket reader. Then I go to Cacsemate-options-rescan mem card and it scans and informes me that it will include the new data the next time I start Cachemate. My only problem is the hint thing, not that that's the end of the world.

It still sounds like you're leaving out a step. Are you sure you're not doing a CacheMate PDB export from GSAK, or have that set up to happen automatically somehow? There'll be an option there to encode the hints rather than leave them unencoded. As I said before, CacheMate does not read Mobipocket files... a step has to be in there somewhere converting the info from the GPX files to a CacheMate import file. If you're using GSAK, it's likely done there.

It allows you to load as many caches as you want in one file unlike the limit on Cachemate.

Assuming you actually registered the software, what limit?

Actually Mobipocket does a pretty good job of helping with the files. It allows you to load as many caches as you want in one file unlike the limit on Cachemate. You can also organize your caches into seperate "books". It has a nice search funtion also.

Fiatster AKA Pop'sse

Cachemate has no limit I have ever bumped into. For a couple of roadtrips I took, I created several separate databases for the different States I traveled through. I had thousands of caches on my Palm M500, which has an additional memory card. Within each database, I even create separate Folders, as needed, to further organize the data.

It is nice to just use that one program for all the cache information necessary, including Past Logs, as well as having a page for putting the log information after I find the cache.

And, I can have the Hints encrypted, if desired . . . :laughing:

Fiatster AKA Pop'sse

Cachemate has no limit I have ever bumped into. For a couple of roadtrips I took, I created several separate databases for the different States I traveled through. I had thousands of caches on my Palm M500, which has an additional memory card. Within each database, I even create separate Folders, as needed, to further organize the data.

It is nice to just use that one program for all the cache information necessary, including Past Logs, as well as having a page for putting the log information after I find the cache.

And, I can have the Hints encrypted, if desired . . . :laughing:

The only limit is only being able to run 5 PQs a day. I've had to run PQs for friends that hit that limit and needed more PQs for a trip...

Ok, I give up. I used cmconverter to load the files to my Treo and yes it did load as many as I wanted (guess I was wrong on the limit thing, but I could swear I read about a limit). I made sure the option for "Decoding Hints" was left unchecked. Everything loaded fine but the hints still showed up. Guess I'm doing something wrong, but I can live with it.

Mike

I can't even imagine why having it pre-unencrypted is a problem to begin with. I use cachemate for Palm... and in order to even ACCESS the hint, you need to click on the pulldown menu for the cache, and click on "hints".

If I don't want the hint... I don't click on the word 'hint'. I really can't fathom why I would want it encrypted to begin with. If ALL cache information were on a single page like on geocaching.com, I can see the point of encryption. However, when it requires a certain action to access the hint, then just don't do that certain action unless you want the hint. If I want the hint, I don't want to sit in the rain/snow/etc for 5 minutes trying to decrypt something that likely says "too easy for a hint" anyway <_<

If you're too weak-willed to simply not view the hint when you don't want to, perhaps you should stick with just printing out the cache page and taking it with you :laughing:

EDIT: Come to think of it, when creating the palm file from GSAK, I think there's an option in there to keep hints encrypted, but don't quote me on that.

Edited by Kabuthunk

I can't even imagine why having it pre-unencrypted is a problem to begin with. I use cachemate for Palm... and in order to even ACCESS the hint, you need to click on the pulldown menu for the cache, and click on "hints".

If I don't want the hint... I don't click on the word 'hint'. I really can't fathom why I would want it encrypted to begin with. If ALL cache information were on a single page like on geocaching.com, I can see the point of encryption. However, when it requires a certain action to access the hint, then just don't do that certain action unless you want the hint. If I want the hint, I don't want to sit in the rain/snow/etc for 5 minutes trying to decrypt something that likely says "too easy for a hint" anyway :laughing:

If you're too weak-willed to simply not view the hint when you don't want to, perhaps you should stick with just printing out the cache page and taking it with you <_<

EDIT: Come to think of it, when creating the palm file from GSAK, I think there's an option in there to keep hints encrypted, but don't quote me on that.

Wow, I'm sorry that I upset you so much. It's not a big deal just was curious to see why it was not working for me. Please accept my humble apologies for being weak-willed and I'll try to toughen up for you. BTW... The hint are shown on the "Overview" page as well. Thanks for your kind words. <_<

Whoops, sorry to come off sounding harsh there. I honestly didn't mean to. I was just like "huh... they're on another page though" type of thing, and when I start to type, I can kinda keep typing, and sometimes that basically ends up with my foot in my mouth <_<

For example... my average gc log length is over 200 words :laughing:

But seriously... sorry if I sounded harsh there. Also, I was completely unaware it showed the hint on the overview page. I never really view that one. I usually only dwell around 'previous logs' and 'description'.

But... that said, I should probably just click 'reply' before I chatter away enough to cram my other foot into my mouth <_< Sorry again though.

<snip> I use cachemate for Palm... and in order to even ACCESS the hint, you need to click on the pulldown menu for the cache, and click on "hints".<snip>

That is not true. The Hint is the ONLY item provided in the Hint selection. But after a whole bunch of other informaton, the Hint is also provided as the LAST item at the end of the Overview selection. And if it is not encrypted, will display as plain text.

I suspect this has to be a GSAK setting. You realize you do not need to use GSAK. If you bypass GSAK and use only cmconvert, does that leave the hint encrypted?

Whoops, sorry to come off sounding harsh there. I honestly didn't mean to. I was just like "huh... they're on another page though" type of thing, and when I start to type, I can kinda keep typing, and sometimes that basically ends up with my foot in my mouth :huh:

For example... my average gc log length is over 200 words ;)

But seriously... sorry if I sounded harsh there. Also, I was completely unaware it showed the hint on the overview page. I never really view that one. I usually only dwell around 'previous logs' and 'description'.

But... that said, I should probably just click 'reply' before I chatter away enough to cram my other foot into my mouth :sad: Sorry again though.

Not a problem. Thanks for the note. ;)

Edited by fiatster