Garmin c330

What I want to do is use a Garmin c330 to navigate between caches. I have found a 330 for the right price. I believe I could load them in as 500 waypoints. I’m guessing I would be able to do this but would appreciate some input from anyone that does this. I have had some experience with hand held units but none with automotive units. My other question is how are the maps upgraded. Does this work the same way as my 60CSX? I have auto-routing with several of my handheld units but want to try something new.

Thanks in advance

What I want to do is use a Garmin c330 to navigate between caches. I have found a 330 for the right price. I believe I could load them in as 500 waypoints. I’m guessing I would be able to do this but would appreciate some input from anyone that does this. I have had some experience with hand held units but none with automotive units. My other question is how are the maps upgraded. Does this work the same way as my 60CSX? I have auto-routing with several of my handheld units but want to try something new.

Thanks in advance

Waiting to see answers to your question as my friend has a C330 & a Garmin etrex legend & wants to do the same.

For me I have a 60 CSX & bought the City Navigator North American V8 & loaded it along with US TOPO, works great to get me to the area & than find the cache.

I use my c330 as a 'coarse' caching tool all the time, it does make life easy.

You can use MapSource normally with the c330. (The 330 even works with nRoute normally too if you want some redundancy)

The only thing I dislike is the point by point method you have to use to delete uneeded wpts (or you can do a reset but then have to reset all your preferences)

I have a Garmin 2610 auto GPS that I use with my Garmin Legend C. I load the caches into the 2610 with easy GPS just like loading them in the Legend. They show up has waypoints in the 2610. They work great together.

To upgrade your maps you have to buy the current upgrade from Garmin, City Navigator V8 is the current upgrade I think, $75.00 for the 2610 upgrade.

I use a magellan Roadmate 6000T. I use GSAK to make a CSV file of my caches for the weekend. I load in my caches into the unit using its POI manager. I select the caches I am going to start with, then select the other caches and create a route file and optimize it. Then I am off. It usally gets me as close as it can via the road and then I look for places to pull off or park and then use the handheld to find the cache.

Storm180

C330 supports waypoints and custom POIs and is supported by toolks like GPSBabel (which means it's supported by GSAK) and EasyGPS, Mapsource, and POILoader.

The C3x0 models aren't fantasy power navigators for a geocacher in my book. The inability to delete waypoints without a full reset or build routes with more than one via point make it pretty clumsy if you're planning to load it up with a few dozen points and efficiently route between them.

Maybe a c330 isn’t what I would want for this. Right now I’m so intrigued by the idea I would forgo the “good deal” on the 330 for a better-suited unit. I like the sound of a dedicated navigation unit. Anyone have any suggestions?

DOH...I didn't read your post carefully enough. Sorry...apparently you already have a handheld.

I use my Nuvi 360 and do something similar to what another poster said. I create the POI file and upload the same file to both the Nuvi and my handheld. Then I can just overwrite the POI the next time I generate a new one. I use GSAK.

Edited by French.

I too use the C330 to navigate between caches. I use a GSAK export macro that I downloaded and it creates custom POI's by catgorery like Traiditional, Multi, Mystery, Virtual, etc. It works great for me. Everytime I get ready to hit the field, I just export my custom POI's it overwrites the old ones and I use POI Loader to put them in. My ones I found last trip now show up in the found category and all others show up in their appropriate tabs. Granted you cannot delete them 1 at a time as you find them (though that would be a nice feature), you can get rid of the old ones by loading a new file wth what you want that has the same name.

I found this thread and tried it, it works to a point (pun intended) :laughing:

"OK

I found my Waypoints in Google Earth, and drag/Dropped them into a file in my Fav. Then I clicked on that File and hit Save As, and saved them in .klv format.

This is reconized by PoiEdit, then saved that as a Garmin .cvs file.

Then switched to PoiLoader, and downloaded it to the Garmin.

Sounds like alot, But it worked GREAT."

Here's the download

http://www.poiedit.com/downloads.htm

I get alot of "bugs" that pop up when I'm converting to a .cvs file but it does work, the nice thing is when you save as a .klv file, it saves the coordinates.

I route with my c330 and then geocache closer with my E-trex Legend

Edited by deej114