Seattle Caches

DaisyChain

Hi!

I'll be visiting the Seattle WA area this week. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some caches for us to do. We prefer the old fashioned "Wow factor" caches. :o We'll be in the area for two days of sight seeing (caches) then we'll be there for a conference and can cache in the evenings (c&d's to see some of the city). We're also hoping to go to Victoria for a day (caches along the way and there).

After the conference we're driving to CA to Crescent City. Any suggestions on the way or there?

I appreciate your advice. I've had several on my list but my bubble was burst when reality (and a reminder about snow in the mountains) hit. :blink:

Hi!

I'll be visiting the Seattle WA area this week. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some caches for us to do. We prefer the old fashioned "Wow factor" caches. :o We'll be in the area for two days of sight seeing (caches) then we'll be there for a conference and can cache in the evenings (c&d's to see some of the city). We're also hoping to go to Victoria for a day (caches along the way and there).

After the conference we're driving to CA to Crescent City. Any suggestions on the way or there?

I appreciate your advice. I've had several on my list but my bubble was burst when reality (and a reminder about snow in the mountains) hit. :o

Assuming you mean Mission 9: Tunnel of Light, someone found it this weekend without show shoes if you're still interested... :blink:

Otherwise, I'll let Seattle people tell you the best ones there...but from what I've heard, A Criminal Education is a good one.

I have a bookmark of caches along the coast that I have done and enjoyed. This list goes from Astoria to San Francisco so there will be some too far south for you, but it is a good starting point. There are several others on my list to do on my next trip, but these I know are good caches.

For the caches in and around Seattle that you want to do, how much time will you have to do those? If you have plenty of time we could suggest some caches out of town. If you only have a few hours, then caches inside the city would be best.

Yes I wanted to do the ape cache, but it looks like it's out. I want to do gc8 but wonder if it's accessible? I'm hoping to go to the CAA for WA and OR. We have some time to do caches out of the city. Then in the evenings while the conference is going on we'll do some city cache. I like camera caches and will attempt doing one. Unfortunately the time difference might be a problem. While I'm out playing, my geobuddies will be at work.

The bookmark is extremely helpful, thanks!

My head is spinning. :unsure:

I contacted the owner of the Cache Across America-Oregon cache to see if they would have it back up in time for your trip. If I recall, it has been stolen/muggled twice now. I will let you know when I hear back from them.

Actually, they were kind enough to respond to my email. They are going to replace it. Is it in a location that is too easily seen by muggles perhaps? I guess I'll know in two weeks time. I really haven't followed these since the initial placement (other than to uber-maintain mine) Now that I'm traveling some, I've been looking.

Thanks Blue PR! :unsure:

Does anyone know how to select a hwy when creating a route in Google Earth for caches along a route? I want to go on Rt 101 and it keeps using Rt 5.

:laughing:

Thanks.

What I do is break it up into pieces where the only way is the highway you want. I then make a PQ for that route and look at it in preview only. I select those caches I want to do and bookmark those. That bookmark is the PQ I download. For the Oregon coast trip you want, you should try Seattle to Astoria, Astoria to Coos Bay, and Coos Bay to Crescent City. I think that is close to the set I use.

Hi!

I'll be visiting the Seattle WA area this week. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some caches for us to do. We prefer the old fashioned "Wow factor" caches. :sad: We'll be in the area for two days of sight seeing (caches) then we'll be there for a conference and can cache in the evenings (c&d's to see some of the city). We're also hoping to go to Victoria for a day (caches along the way and there).

I appreciate your advice. I've had several on my list but my bubble was burst when reality (and a reminder about snow in the mountains) hit. ;)

Assuming you mean Mission 9: Tunnel of Light, someone found it this weekend without show shoes if you're still interested... ;)

Otherwise, I'll let Seattle people tell you the best ones there...but from what I've heard, A Criminal Education is a good one.

Wow! I didn't realize this was already reasonably doable. If you can do it DaisyChain, I would go well out of my way to hit it. There won't be many more chances to do an Ape Cache.

Hi!

I'll be visiting the Seattle WA area this week. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some caches for us to do. We prefer the old fashioned "Wow factor" caches. :sad: We'll be in the area for two days of sight seeing (caches) then we'll be there for a conference and can cache in the evenings (c&d's to see some of the city). We're also hoping to go to Victoria for a day (caches along the way and there).

I appreciate your advice. I've had several on my list but my bubble was burst when reality (and a reminder about snow in the mountains) hit. ;)

Assuming you mean Mission 9: Tunnel of Light, someone found it this weekend without show shoes if you're still interested... ;)

Wow! I didn't realize this was already reasonably doable. If you can do it DaisyChain, I would go well out of my way to hit it. There won't be many more chances to do an Ape Cache.

The tunnel does not have to be open to get to the cache. You can come up from the Annette Lake Trailhead. Coords are on the cache page. I notice several logs saying something about getting across a creek. If you follow the trail properly, there is a bridge across the creek. Several people (myself included) have mistaken a road for the Iron Horse Trail. I was able to figure out my mistake early enough to avoid the creek. Mostly because I was going for Avalanche Shed first so I turned right and saw fairly soon that what I was on could not be the Iron Horse Trail. Others have forded the creek.

There was supposed to have been some snow fall in the pass in the last few days so the pics may not be current.

Anyone have the PASS needed to park for the ANNETTE LAKE Trail? I'd need to hook up early tomorrow morning, btw. I know, I'm dreaming. Maybe it's the jet lag I've been suffering. I stayed up 24 hours yesterday. It's hard to justify a $30.00 cache, I mean pass that we'll use only once.

:huh:

Anyone have the PASS needed to park for the ANNETTE LAKE Trail? I'd need to hook up early tomorrow morning, btw. I know, I'm dreaming. Maybe it's the jet lag I've been suffering. I stayed up 24 hours yesterday. It's hard to justify a $30.00 cache, I mean pass that we'll use only once.

:huh:

The pass is $5 for one day. You can buy one at any REI. You might be able to buy one in North Bend, but I would not know where.

I think the $30 is for an annual pass and you don't need that. Be sure to put the right date on the pass when you use it.

I can't begin to tell you how much fun we've been having. Had to ditch a few minor caches for the better good. We arrived at the conference in Seattle. You aren't kidding when you say sat lock is hard! We've found it impossible. Our DNF list is getting longer than our found list. We're not finding any of the urban caches. :D I have fallen in love with Seattle.

I can't begin to tell you how much fun we've been having. Had to ditch a few minor caches for the better good. We arrived at the conference in Seattle. You aren't kidding when you say sat lock is hard! We've found it impossible. Our DNF list is getting longer than our found list. We're not finding any of the urban caches. :D I have fallen in love with Seattle.

:D Shhhhh, don't tell anyone. We like to keep our city a secret. :D

We arrived at the conference in Seattle. You aren't kidding when you say sat lock is hard! We've found it impossible. Our DNF list is getting longer than our found list. We're not finding any of the urban caches.

I work in Downtown Seattle, I know how hard it can be, either the satellites or muggles drive you crazy. If you are still in town and have time contact me through my profile. There are a couple you have to do before you leave!