It's spring, Need ammo cans?

magking1971

As I recall only one pallet load was purchased. The problem is that someone has to front the money and haul the cans away. I also looked over the page and see that many of the cans have water in them. Ammo cans with water in them will rust so it is quite likely that there will be many of the cans that won't be usable.

As I recall only one pallet load was purchased. The problem is that someone has to front the money and haul the cans away. I also looked over the page and see that many of the cans have water in them. Ammo cans with water in them will rust so it is quite likely that there will be many of the cans that won't be usable.

If someone is willing to front the money and haul away the cans, I have no doubt that there will be more than enough takers for all but the damaged ones.

I don't have the resources to front the funds for the buy however I would buy some. Quantity would depend on the price.

edit to add - That I suspect they haven't been sitting out too long so I'm not going to assume if they have/had water in them they'd be junk. Give em a good drying out. Maybe hit them with a little De-rusto paint. And they'd be good to go. My concern would be that we get enough lids for them.

Edited by Recdiver

Thanks to a tip by great cacher, I was forwarded onto this forum.

Worldcaching.com - that would be me- would love to do a bulk buy on ammo cans and we would foot the initial bill ! I would make sure they were picked up.

We would be keen to have anyone who would like to join in the bulk buy to grab what they need off of us .... not sure how we would set it all up.

We could win the auction and then set up a time for everyone interested to come by and pick them up soon after the auction occured.... basically at cost covering all fees incurred (auction, taxes etc.)

I would be keen to do it in conjunction with individuals or even groups ( washington state geocachers interested?)

Apparently last time they were purchased it was the bigger ones. I think I would purchase the 30 gal size as I heard the 50 cal were "almost too big ".

Let me know what everyone thinks about this idea !

We would be interested in the 30 cal. cans. 10 - 15 of them. From the pictures it looks like the lids are detached from the top and the cans are sitting on them. Hopefully all of the cans are that way. It doesn't seem like rust should be a big problem since a little bit of steel wool and paint can take care of that little issue.

If we need a pool of funds just to make the buy we would be willing to go in for $150 and take however many cans that works out to. We have enough space to store them for a while and would be happy to sell them off to other cachers as needed over time.

Thanks to a tip by great cacher, I was forwarded onto this forum.

Worldcaching.com - that would be me- would love to do a bulk buy on ammo cans and we would foot the initial bill ! I would make sure they were picked up.

We would be keen to have anyone who would like to join in the bulk buy to grab what they need off of us .... not sure how we would set it all up.

We could win the auction and then set up a time for everyone interested to come by and pick them up soon after the auction occured.... basically at cost covering all fees incurred (auction, taxes etc.)

I would be keen to do it in conjunction with individuals or even groups ( washington state geocachers interested?)

Apparently last time they were purchased it was the bigger ones. I think I would purchase the 30 gal size as I heard the 50 cal were "almost too big ".

Let me know what everyone thinks about this idea !

Speaking for the WSGA, what do you mean by this?

I'll keep an eye on the auction.

I can't make it to Spring FLing as I am hosting an event in Vancouver the same day- sounds like a great time.

World caching has a pile of donations at the event though!

If someone would like to take a trunk load to the Fling and sell them there- that would be great. I can contact the Spring Fling gang and see if that would be welcome.

Any volunteers to load a trunk with ammo cans ?

I'll keep an eye on the auction.

I can't make it to Spring FLing as I am hosting an event in Vancouver the same day- sounds like a great time.

World caching has a pile of donations at the event though!

If someone would like to take a trunk load to the Fling and sell them there- that would be great. I can contact the Spring Fling gang and see if that would be welcome.

Any volunteers to load a trunk with ammo cans ?

Don't know about a truck, but can help out with the station wagon.

I would also be up for 10-15 ammo cans myself.

cheers,

Poppa J

Amazingly enough I have found multiple uses for ammo cans.

For one thing they actually do hold ammo...

And other stuff you want kept safe, secure and dry.

I'll purchased at least 10 and probably as many as 15.

As the treasurer of the WSGA I will only say that our funds are already committed to a large purchase this year so bidding on ammo cans is out. However that is a really neat idea. Can you say fund raiser?

Can we clarify as to who is planning on bidding on what?

I don't think we all want to be bidding against eachother. For example, I might be willing to take lot 7401 myself. Two pallets, that would probably fit in my van. 20 pallets... probably not.

7401 - LOT (2) PLTS (24) EA MILITARY AMMO SHIPPING & STORAGE CANS, SZ EA 17. 5"L X 7 3/ 4"W X 14"H. MANY CANS HAVE WATER INSIDE

7402 - LOT (15) PLTS MILITARY 30 CAL AMMO CANS, SZ EA 10"L X 3"W X 7"H. MANY CANS HAVE WATER INSIDE

7403 - LOT (7) PLTS MILITARY FAT 50 CAL AMMO CANS, SZ EA 12"L X 7"W X 8 1/ 2"H. MANY CANS HAVE WATER INSIDE

7404 - LOT (20) PLTS MILITARY REG 50 CAL AMMO CANS, SZ EA 11"L X 6"W X 7"H. MANY CANS HAVE WATER INSIDE

7405 - LOT (12) PLTS MILITARY 30 CAL AMMO CANS, SZ EA 10"L X 3"W X 7"H. MANY CANS HAVE WATER INSIDE

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

Can we clarify as to who is planning on bidding on what?

I don't think we all want to be bidding against eachother. For example, I might be willing to take lot 7401 myself. Two pallets, that would probably fit in my van. 20 pallets... probably not.

7401 - LOT (2) PLTS (24) EA MILITARY AMMO SHIPPING & STORAGE CANS, SZ EA 17. 5"L X 7 3/ 4"W X 14"H. MANY CANS HAVE WATER INSIDE

7402 - LOT (15) PLTS MILITARY 30 CAL AMMO CANS, SZ EA 10"L X 3"W X 7"H. MANY CANS HAVE WATER INSIDE

7403 - LOT (7) PLTS MILITARY FAT 50 CAL AMMO CANS, SZ EA 12"L X 7"W X 8 1/ 2"H. MANY CANS HAVE WATER INSIDE

7404 - LOT (20) PLTS MILITARY REG 50 CAL AMMO CANS, SZ EA 11"L X 6"W X 7"H. MANY CANS HAVE WATER INSIDE

7405 - LOT (12) PLTS MILITARY 30 CAL AMMO CANS, SZ EA 10"L X 3"W X 7"H. MANY CANS HAVE WATER INSIDE

Be aware that the lot 7401 cans are bigger than 50 cal. Most people want the 30 caliber cans so it would be lot 7402 or 7405. Most likely 7405 since there are 120 less cans to transport.

That said I am not involved with this purchase.

If everyone can decide on one size I can talk to my work about buying the the cans and then my work could sell what ever is left over at our shop. I don't know if they will go for it but it is worth a shot. The first step is every one deciding on which lot every one will be happy with, also if I can get work to buy the lot it justifies me to use the company flat bed to pick them up. Then all interested parties would have to pick them up from my work.

World Caching- (me from the wild wiggly beanz) once again is keen to buy 30 gal ammo cans and I will foot the bill. I would like to sell a good part of them that day to cachers at cost. I will set up a spot we can meet in Fort Lewis and various spots on my way back to Canada.

Then will come back in teh summer to find all those great ammo can caches that are placed !

WIll look into how long I can leave them at the auction site ... to set up pick up/ buy your cans or I can even mail them from the post office with addresses etc. before I head up north. I might even have a spot to store some in Seattle...

I am now thinking of heading to the Spring Fling on the 5th of May as well and sell them at a good (cheap) price to cachers there.

The next day (May 6th) I have an event in British Columbia that I am hosting so some more will dissappear there.... in the end I would like to take home to my shed to clean up and sell on Worldcaching.com somewhere between 100 -200 !

SO superhoser, talk to work.... and lets make this great for us all !

I will be bidding on lot 7402 or 7405.

World Caching- (me from the wild wiggly beanz) once again is keen to buy 30 gal ammo cans and I will foot the bill. I would like to sell a good part of them that day to cachers at cost. I will set up a spot we can meet in Fort Lewis and various spots on my way back to Canada.

Then will come back in teh summer to find all those great ammo can caches that are placed !

WIll look into how long I can leave them at the auction site ... to set up pick up/ buy your cans or I can even mail them from the post office with addresses etc. before I head up north. I might even have a spot to store some in Seattle...

I am now thinking of heading to the Spring Fling on the 5th of May as well and sell them at a good (cheap) price to cachers there.

The next day (May 6th) I have an event in British Columbia that I am hosting so some more will dissappear there.... in the end I would like to take home to my shed to clean up and sell on Worldcaching.com somewhere between 100 -200 !

SO superhoser, talk to work.... and lets make this great for us all !

I will be bidding on lot 7402 or 7405.

You do realize that those are 30 cal not gal right? Don't want to you be dissapointed. Depending on final price, I'll likely take several of those off your hands.

I may bid on 7401 for my own use even though those are a bit larger. I don't mind hiding the bigger boxes if you all don't mind looking for them.

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

My boss is interested but like I said I need a firm agreement on which lot, how many people going to buy, and a maximum bid amount people can live with. He does not want to get stuck with 600 cans and all the cans that are not perfect. We have 4 days to the opening bid so people need to get together and make some decisions on how many they really want and which size.

Opps - yes I do know its "cal" but thanks for the note !

Definately lets coordinate this- I am looking at no more than $1.75 per can- less definately if possible.

Over that price and I am out.

Lets keep an eye on bidding but the smaller lot is better. 7405

So far it looks like we have buyers for about 100 of them .

I am in for 100-200 and would even pick up a few of the bigger ones for personal use if you want to swap some around.

How many does work want and we would have to figure out how many were damaged etc and work out a price by that.

Again I would like the 30 cal.

We are certainly in for the 10-15 I mentioned in a previous post and will go for whatever $150 buys if needed to help make this happen. If the max bid is $1.75 it looks like we would be in for about 85 cans. Maybe we could start leaving them as trading items at micros! :huh:

We are certainly in for the 10-15 I mentioned in a previous post and will go for whatever $150 buys if needed to help make this happen. If the max bid is $1.75 it looks like we would be in for about 85 cans. Maybe we could start leaving them as trading items at micros! :huh:

LMAO...

If we can get them for <$2.00 each, I'll take 15.

So the maximum bid should be no more than 950.00 for lot 7405 which would end up being 1.79 per can but to compensate for the unknown number of bad cans I would say bump the cost to all of us to be 2.00 each unless 95% of the cans are usable condition. Seems how the company will have all the bad cans to dispose of I think this is still a fair deal.

AJR 15

BPR 25

PP 20

GX 15

AL 15

WR 15

WWB 150

HTS 15

TC 15

RD 15

TJ'd 15

So as it stands there are 315 spoken for, maybe as much 365. If this looks good to everyone I will talk to my boss again this weekend and see if he is willing to go ahead and bid on lot 7405. Any concerns then we need to address then soon because I do not want any bad feelings toward me if this does not work out.

I also have transport lined up if need be.

I will take 200 and will bring some to the Spring Fling and to the BC Cache Blitz event to sell to cachers basically at our cost.

Thanks Superhoser for taking over all the buying logistics and once again thanks magking for getting this all started up !!!!

Oh the nice big caches in BC and Washington ... can't wait.

WWB if there are enough of us northerners who buy cans would you be interested in making a pit stop on your way back to BC? We could meet you along I-5. Between Lizzy and I there are 40 cans. Not everybody reads the forums so I will see today at the CITO if anybody else is interested.

Edited by Harriet the Spy

WWB if there are enough of us northerners who buy cans would you be interested in making a pit stop on your way back to BC? We could meet you along I-5. Between Lizzy and I there are 40 cans. Not everybody reads the forums so I will see today at the CITO if anybody else is interested.

If the auction is for the 30 cal. size, I'll take 50 and can pick up anywhere from the Arlington/Everett area north. Maybe WWB and I can hook up in Blaine?

So the maximum bid should be no more than 950.00 for lot 7405 which would end up being 1.79 per can but to compensate for the unknown number of bad cans I would say bump the cost to all of us to be 2.00 each unless 95% of the cans are usable condition. Seems how the company will have all the bad cans to dispose of I think this is still a fair deal.

So as it stands there are 315 spoken for, maybe as much 365. If this looks good to everyone I will talk to my boss again this weekend and see if he is willing to go ahead and bid on lot 7405. Any concerns then we need to address then soon because I do not want any bad feelings toward me if this does not work out.

Don't forget you will need to pay a fee to the web site and state sales tax on top of the bid price.

I will check on the fee as far as sales tax I will check on how this will affect the price to us because they would be bought for "resale" from the company I work for. Any left over containers would be sold at our shop for retail customers. I am now thinking that the larger lot(7402) may be better.