GPS use in Russia?

NevaP

I just read the following warning on the State Dept. Travel advisor site:

>The importation and use of Global Positioning Systems and other radio electronic devices are subject to >special rules and regulations in Russia. In general, mapping and natural resource data collection activities >associated with normal, commercial, and scientific collaboration may result in seizure of the equipment >and/or arrest of the user.

>No traveler should seek to import or use GPS equipment in any manner unless it has been properly and >fully documented by the traveler in accordance with the instructions of the Glavgossvyaznadzor (Main >Inspectorate in Communications) and is declared in full on a customs declaration at the point of entry to >the Russian Federation.

:o

Anybody here have any experience traveling in Russia with a GPS? There are a few caches there.

We will be on a tourist trip in August. Moscow to St Petersburg , traveling between to the two cities on a river cruise ship. I have only a couple geocaching I could look for but there are many Waymarking possibilities. I hope to use a GPS.

Any words of wisdom? :blink:

Suspicious activity could get you into some serious trouble in Russia. As an American, you may be watched more closely than you think. If I were you, I wouldn't want to spend any time in a Russian cell waiting for my day in court because I couldn't explain why I was lifting up lamp post skirts.

I received some useful, up to date , information from a cacher who recently logged caches in Russia:

>The Russian government recently changed the rules (within the last

>year) and it appears all you need to do is to declare the GPS unit on

>your customs declaration form and go through the "red" line at

>customs. After that I wouldn't be too worried about it - just make

>sure you have the declaration form with your GPS.

So I probably will take a GPS, (the second or third back-up one, not my full bells and whistles model).

I won 't use it around Military installations ( I don't expect to be near any) and will mainly be Waymarking old churches and such. But I might need to be cautious about Waymarking the locks the cruise ship will pass through. (And I won't lift any lamp post skirts :unsure: )

There is an active Geocaching community in Russia, http://www.geocaching.su/ is their website. If you "ne gavaryesh po rasiyski" use http://babelfish.altavista.com/ to get a general translation. They are a bit more strict in their rules, perhaps you could send a message in the "Other Nations" forum. Schastlevee Geocachke po rasiya ;)

"Gdye Geocache?" = Where is the geocache?

Years ago there used to be a game of finding radio transmitters hidden in the countryside. Local chapters of "Scouts" would make a Radio Direction Finder and set off looking. I forget where I left the plans/schematic, they're classic Soviet.

DANG IT!!! no Cyrillic in Geocaching !!!! :sad:

From the Foriegn Clearance Guide (US MIL)

Special rules and regulations govern the importing and use of radio-electronic devices, a category that includes all emitting, transmitting, or receiving equipment such as satellite telephones and GPS receivers. (Consumer electronics such as AM or FM radios and cellular phones are not considered radio-electronic devices.) You must obtain a certificate from Glavgossvyaznadzor (the Main Inspectorate of Communications) before importing any radio-electronic device. A general information sheet on the importation and use of GPS devices, other radio-electronic equipment, and computers may be obtained at http://travel.state.gov, from the DoS automated telefax at 202-647-3000, from the American Citizens Services Unit of the AmEmbassy in Moscow, and from US consulates elsewhere in Russia.

From the Foriegn Clearance Guide (US MIL)

Special rules and regulations govern the importing and use of radio-electronic devices, a category that includes all emitting, transmitting, or receiving equipment such as satellite telephones and GPS receivers. (Consumer electronics such as AM or FM radios and cellular phones are not considered radio-electronic devices.) You must obtain a certificate from Glavgossvyaznadzor (the Main Inspectorate of Communications) before importing any radio-electronic device. A general information sheet on the importation and use of GPS devices, other radio-electronic equipment, and computers may be obtained at http://travel.state.gov, from the DoS automated telefax at 202-647-3000, from the American Citizens Services Unit of the AmEmbassy in Moscow, and from US consulates elsewhere in Russia.

If anybody else is looking this stuff up be sure you get the most recent information. I have been given links to a lot of out of date pages.

Look for a March or April 2007 date.

The most recent advisories are: no limitations on cell phones. GPS receivers should be declared in customs but advance permission isn't needed any more.

Edited by NevaP