Naked Caching - It's not what you think...

I recently grabbed a cache without my GPS receiver. I have done this a couple of times previously and thought this would make a nice hardcore twist to Geocaching. This usually works best with caches that have descriptive names or clues and are in areas that you are familiar with.

Proposed rules for Naked Caching.

This applies to regular caches only.

GPS cannot be used within 0.1 miles of cache location.

No aid can be given by someone else with a GPS or someone who has been to the cache before.

Unlimited research can be used while at home. i.e. Google Earth

If enough people start doing this maybe Geocache.com will add this as a new category. :blink:

Tell me what you think about Naked Caching - For Hardcore Caches only....

I recently grabbed a cache without my GPS receiver. I have done this a couple of times previously and thought this would make a nice hardcore twist to Geocaching. This usually works best with caches that have descriptive names or clues and are in areas that you are familiar with.

No aid can be given by someone else with a GPS or someone who has been to the cache before.

If enough people start doing this maybe Geocache.com will add this as a new category. :blink:

This is hardly new. I have found several caches without the use of a GPSr (including a very recent find last month while I was visiting Los Angles, wherein I realized as I walked past a spot that there was a webcam cache located there...), and one of our more prolific and well-known local cachers found his first 80 or so caches without using a GPSr. And, if I recall correctly, there are at least two cachers who are/were quite active on these forums who did not use a GPSr for their find efforts during their first couple of years in the sport, and each, as I recall, has accrued at least several hudnred finds. And, there is a third cacher who useta be active on these forums whom I belive found his first 300 caches without a GPSr, and at some point he broke down and purchased a GPSr and started using it.

The other way is nude caching.

Enough people do the naked caching to where it's nothing new.

However if enough people do and like to compare notes it may be worth having some guidelines to keep everones bragging rights on the same page.

How about nude naked caching! That would be fun too. It would be a lot harder though, because the nude friendly caches are usually somewhere there finding them without a GPSr would be all but impossible. :blink:

Nudecacher

Well, i guess by the OP guidelines i don't go totally "naked", but I do MOST of my finds by driving up to a parking spot within "gettin distance" of a cache icon downloaded on TOPO 6 from GSAK and from there using a compass and roughly pacing the distance till I find the cache.

I am "out of spec" with the OP because most of the time I am within 250 feet or so of the cache when i take my TOPO measurement from the vehicle mounted laptop, grab my compass, and begin my search.

I have found that caches located more than 250 feet from my last GPS assisted measurement take too long to find- especially if there is no clear sight of the starting point (car). Usually a quick find is imperative as i am using the search as a "rest stop" in my typical 300 mile per day drives "wandering Indiana" on company business.

I might propose that the proposed guidelines omit the 0.1 mile rule and simply state "naked caching is considered any cache hunt where no handheld GPSr is used."

It is not that further distances without the GPSr are impossible or for that matter necessarily difficult, especially when one is experienced at finding "cache sign", but only that searches in the more "extreme" distances take much longer due to the ambiguity of one's personal navigation skills (or lack thereof) which increases exponentially with increasing distance from known waypoints or landmarks.

i greatly enjoy this brand of caching because of its spontaneity.

Edit "rules" to prohibit ownership of a GPS? :unsure:

Why regular caches only? It is also fun to do a multi without a GPS. I get to calculate the next spot, then plot it on my map with a dried up pen in a rainstorm. Half the time the coordinates are off the edge of my map and I have to go home to print out a new one and come back... Some puzzle caches are very interesting without a GPS as well, but in all honesty many caches are easier with a map than with a GPS. With the best aerial photos out now an experienced map/photo reader can often identify some of the individual trees in a woods.

I found my first 11 geocaches with nothing more than the geocaching website, google maps, and a printer. And if I didn't print it, I used google maps and my memory <_<

Note: the printer was also mostly out of ink. Here's a pic of the quality I had to work with:

290315da-d70e-488d-8782-1ff84b43f859.jpg

That PARTICULAR cache I DNF'd without the GPS, but 11 others, that's what I had to work with. I've done several others working off only memory, but not many. My GPS is almost always attached to me these days :laughing:

I found my first 11 geocaches with nothing more than the geocaching website, google maps, and a printer. And if I didn't print it, I used google maps and my memory :sad:

Note: the printer was also mostly out of ink. Here's a pic of the quality I had to work with:

290315da-d70e-488d-8782-1ff84b43f859.jpg

That PARTICULAR cache I DNF'd without the GPS, but 11 others, that's what I had to work with. I've done several others working off only memory, but not many. My GPS is almost always attached to me these days ;)

My god, man. You should work for the government.

Edit "rules" to prohibit ownership of a GPS? :anitongue:

Why regular caches only? It is also fun to do a multi without a GPS. I get to calculate the next spot, then plot it on my map with a dried up pen in a rainstorm. Half the time the coordinates are off the edge of my map and I have to go home to print out a new one and come back... Some puzzle caches are very interesting without a GPS as well, but in all honesty many caches are easier with a map than with a GPS. With the best aerial photos out now an experienced map/photo reader can often identify some of the individual trees in a woods.

I've started a bookmark list called "San Diego Without a GPS" in case anyone in this area would like to do some (or if you're a tourist who forgot to bring your GPS with you!). These usually require using the encrypted hint and/or Google Map or topo map but I have found all of them without GPS. I usually use GPS but it's fun to try finding some without it.

Is there a big worldwide bookmark list of caches that are findable without GPS to which people could contribute, I wonder? Or maybe I could set up a web page collecting a list of such bookmark lists for localities?

I've started a bookmark list called "San Diego Without a GPS" in case anyone in this area would like to do some (or if you're a tourist who forgot to bring your GPS with you!). These usually require using the encrypted hint and/or Google Map or topo map but I have found all of them without GPS. I usually use GPS but it's fun to try finding some without it.

Is there a big worldwide bookmark list of caches that are findable without GPS to which people could contribute, I wonder? Or maybe I could set up a web page collecting a list of such bookmark lists for localities?

Yes it is called Geocaching.com Anything listed there is findable without a GPS if you can read a map. :lol:

Yes it is called Geocaching.com Anything listed there is findable without a GPS if you can read a map. :wub:

Hee hee :D There are a few exceptions, I guess, especially around here -- like when the topographic map shows a pristine wilderness of hills and canyons, and you go there, and it's a flat parking lot outside Qualcomm's 1,287th office building :wub:

Yes it is called Geocaching.com Anything listed there is findable without a GPS if you can read a map. :huh:

Hee hee ;) There are a few exceptions, I guess, especially around here -- like when the topographic map shows a pristine wilderness of hills and canyons, and you go there, and it's a flat parking lot outside Qualcomm's 1,287th office building :rolleyes:

Yep... those are the ones that go from a 1/1 GPS cache to a 4/1 GPS-Less cache. I have nearby caches to find that are in local shopping malls that show up on my aerial photo as being in cornfields. But some things remain like road intersections, other buildings, or power lines and I can find them. Usually I do these at night so pacing 500 meters across parking lots with a compass doesn't arouse so much curiousity.

Edited by edscott

yep, that's one of the biggest issues with topo maps and even google earth. They are not up-to-date. If you are counting on them for landmarks, you might be "out in left field", literally.

Yes topos are not updated often enough in lots of urban and suburban areas and I am not a fan of

Google maps for several reasons... but if you get Topozone maps you have the latest published USGS data and the best Aerial Photos data that I can find.

We inadvertantly did "naked geocaching" once.

Batteries died on GPS on a sort of "urban micro" (a magnetic key hider in a city park) and using the map (which had it in a corner of the park) combined with knowledge of past similar hides got it for us.

Yes one similar here also, but for me that was getting to the park and realizing the map showing the exact location was still home on the table. Had to do that one from memory.. no GPS, no map, and a bit of luck.

The other way is nude caching.

Enough people do the naked caching to where it's nothing new.

However if enough people do and like to compare notes it may be worth having some guidelines to keep everones bragging rights on the same page.

How about nude naked caching! That would be fun too. It would be a lot harder though, because the nude friendly caches are usually somewhere there finding them without a GPSr would be all but impossible. :laughing:

Nudecacher

i so thought this is what this topic was about. someday i'm goind to do this just once and post a pic, i love what you do! GO you.

Tim