Cig lighter wiring for GPSMap 76csx

I bought a Pfranc adapter to go in the round 4 pin hole for my 76csx. My intention is to power my 76csx via the cig lighter on long car trips. I also bought a cig lighter extension cord, and cut off the end I don't need. Now I have 2 wires, completely unmarked. So I no longer know which wire is positive or which negative.

I got out my multimeter and set it for resistance. Going from the center of the plug part, to wire A, gave me 0 resistance, meaning those 2 were connected. Going from the center of the plug to wire B, I got infinite resistance, meaning there was no connection. So now the question becomes, is the center plug positive or negative?

Next question, the guy who made the adaptor said get a cig lighter plug with a fuse and a 1/2 amp fuse. I got one with room for a fuse, but none of the fuses in the automotive aisle are labeled with amps. How do I tell which fuse is 1/2 amp?

Most auto fuses start at 5 amps, then go 10 amps, 20 amps, 30 amps, etc. This will not protect my GPS.

Thanks for your help.

Your 12v plug center is +12v. The outer case is gnd.

Fuses are usually stamped. The glass fuses are stamped on the end. .5 amp is a tiny fuse. Might have to go to an auto electric store and get one there.

Instead of going through all that trouble just get the car charger for a Motorola Razr cellphone. It's the same mini-usb as the phone uses and on the GPSr. I already had the charger for my phone and it works great on my 60CSx. Should be the same on your 76.

Yes I had the 76CS and had the big bulky charger

I updated to the 76CSx and noticed that while it plugged in to the laptop via USB it was charging.

I also then tried my wifes Moto Pebl phone charger and it charges the unit

There is now no need for the round pin charger just the mini usb charger will do

DON'T forget to change the " Setup / System / battery type to the type of rechargeable batteries you have

If you leave it on Alkaline it will not charge the unit just power it while plugged in

and I have yet to see Li Ion in AA size so you will probaly have NiMH batteries if they are rechargers

There are numerous mini usb chargers I also have 2 adapters that are like a mains 13amp plug tha a usb cable fits in which makes a really light weight travel charger its a bit like a shaver plug this charges the moto phone and 76csx while on holiday round europe

Instead of going through all that trouble just get the car charger for a Motorola Razr cellphone. It's the same mini-usb as the phone uses and on the GPSr. I already had the charger for my phone and it works great on my 60CSx. Should be the same on your 76.

I thought about that. But while the GPS is in the auto mount, the mini-usb jack is not usable. Only the round jack is accessible while in the auto mount.

Wait wait WAIT!!!!!!!!!!

The 76CSX will charge the rechargable batteries while INSIDE the unit?

First issue: Is everyone certain of this??? I have never heard of a device that would charge up the batteries in the battery compartment directly. You always need to remove the batteries and put them in a charging device separately.

Second issue: Also I was thinking that everyone needs to check that the correct voltages on these aftermarket chargers will be supplied to the GPS. Some chargers change the voltage at the cigarette lighter plug to something way less that connects to the actual device (12V to 3V sometimes).

well if it is working I can not argue with that fact.

Edited by Ellteejak

Wait wait WAIT!!!!!!!!!!

This has been discussed before, and IIRC, the unit will NOT recharge your batteries while plugged in to external power. The purpose for having different battery types is so that the meter will work correctly.

Wait wait WAIT!!!!!!!!!!

This has been discussed before, and IIRC, the unit will NOT recharge your batteries while plugged in to external power. The purpose for having different battery types is so that the meter will work correctly.

Did not think it could. Just everyone's comments maybe me think that Garmin actually "over designed" the GPS with some extra technology. Glad to see they are focusing on GPS and not on power (except to reduce power consumption).