My GPS noob review of the Garmin 60Cx

You could submit a proposal to Garmin to rewrite their manual. :D

Someone should rewrite the manual and I hope that Garmin listens. I had almost 300 finds with my Magellan Explorist when I purchased a 76CSx. The manual is next to useless and unfortunately the support at Garmin is almost as good. I was told in no uncertain terms by Garmin tech support that the only way to enter waypoints for geocaches was by hand and one at a time! :D The manual tells you to go to the Garmin website for more information - to bad nothing is there. :D If it weren't for this forum, I would have returned the unit immediately.

Personally I'm fine with the UI on the 60Cx, which I've owned for about a half year now. Before the 60Cx, I owned a Legend Cx, an eTrex Summit and a GeoDiscovery Geode springboard module for the Handspring Visor.

I've seen a LOT worse software; the Geode's was horrific.

My biggest complaint is about the cost of the maps. It's absolutely ridiculous how much Garmin charges for updates and base maps and that's assuming they include your area! Up until v9 of CN or Metroguide, Poland and Slovakia weren't ....so the comment about geodude.nl's web site were awesome - I didn't know about that at all. U

I'd also suggest cgpsmapper.com for user-built, free maps that for sure don't violate any licensing agreement(s).

You could submit a proposal to Garmin to rewrite their manual. :laughing:

Someone should rewrite the manual and I hope that Garmin listens. I had almost 300 finds with my Magellan Explorist when I purchased a 76CSx. The manual is next to useless and unfortunately the support at Garmin is almost as good. I was told in no uncertain terms by Garmin tech support that the only way to enter waypoints for geocaches was by hand and one at a time! :) The manual tells you to go to the Garmin website for more information - to bad nothing is there. <_< If it weren't for this forum, I would have returned the unit immediately.

I was able to upload all my geocaches thru GSAK. Works well. Only the first 30 characters of the hint come thru however, which sucks.. be nice if u could see it all.. (after all, with the card that space is there)

BUT, what i don't like is the geocaches show up on my waypoint menu, as well as on my geocache menu.

Whats up with that?

Why have a seperate geocache menu if u are going to put them in with the regular waypoints?

Anyway i can exclude just the geocaches symbols (found, not found) from the regular waypoints?

Now i don't mind them going into the recent find menu.. Thats normal and desired..

Any help is appreicated.

--danny