My new XL is frozen

CCRob

I am sitting in Moab wanting to upload basemaps onto my XL. I am using Mapsend Topo (not 3d) and have the conversion manager etc. For some reason I have forgotten the steps to take but i managed to do something. Now when the gps turns on it goes to the blue screen reading "eXplorist XL checking media" and doesnt go any further.

Is there anyway to do a hard reset on this thing to get it back to normal and start over?

any help asap would be appreciated.

Edited by CCRob

Try taking out the SD card to see if the unit will then turn on. If it does, then you might try to find someone with a computer or a camera that takes the SD card. They could format the card for you.

If they can't format the SD card, then it is time to buy a new one. Sometimes they do go bad.

The FAQs page here lists several links to how to do things on the GPS. See http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=140085

Try taking out the SD card to see if the unit will then turn on. If it does, then you might try to find someone with a computer or a camera that takes the SD card. They could format the card for you.

If they can't format the SD card, then it is time to buy a new one. Sometimes they do go bad.

The FAQs page here lists several links to how to do things on the GPS. See http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=140085

with or without the card it goes to the "checking media" and freezes.. its like its with the internal memory. Is there any way to bypass this do a hard reset or something?

I am sitting in Moab wanting to upload basemaps onto my XL. I am using Mapsend Topo (not 3d)

MapSend Topo is not compatible with the Explorist line; you need the 3D version. I thought that they had changed the firmware to not get trapped by the attempt to load an incompatible file format...when the 500 first came out, a few pioneers froze up their units when they tried the old Topo out.

Magellan wanted those people to send their units in, but it is recoverable. I would have thought removing the card (if the map file was on the card) would have done it...so maybe there's a different holdup in progress. But try some of these key combinations.

From power off state, simultaneously push GOTO + OUT + POWER (clear memory and set all settings as default)

You can find other service functions that might help here. If nothing else, #95 will probably clean it up, but that will blow out the basemap and require re-installation (also described in that FAQS collection--see endless NAND loop)

I am sitting in Moab wanting to upload basemaps onto my XL. I am using Mapsend Topo (not 3d)

MapSend Topo is not compatible with the Explorist line; you need the 3D version. I thought that they had changed the firmware to not get trapped by the attempt to load an incompatible file format...when the 500 first came out, a few pioneers froze up their units when they tried the old Topo out.

Magellan wanted those people to send their units in, but it is recoverable. I would have thought removing the card (if the map file was on the card) would have done it...so maybe there's a different holdup in progress. But try some of these key combinations.

From power off state, simultaneously push GOTO + OUT + POWER (clear memory and set all settings as default)

You can find other service functions that might help here. If nothing else, #95 will probably clean it up, but that will blow out the basemap and require re-installation (also described in that FAQS collection--see endless NAND loop)

none of these options are doing anything for me. i would gladly do the #95 and reload everything but no matter what combinatiosn i try it will only startup and go to "checking media" and freeze there

Two questions to better understand what is/isn't happening:

1. Are you able to get to the service function menu? As I read you, it sounds like whatever you try you only get the checking media message, but it's not completely clear to me whether you are able to invoke the other menus and they're having no effect on your problem, or you're not able to invoke them.
  2. Did you load a detail topo map to internal memory?

Edited by embra

1. Are you able to get to the service function menu? As I read you, it sounds like whatever you try you only get the checking media message, but it's not completely clear to me whether you are able to invoke the other menus and they're having no effect on your problem, or you're not able to invoke them.

No I am not able to get to any menus. It only goes as far as "checking media" no matter what I try.

Yes there is a detailed topo on the internal memory. Which is probably what is doing all this.

No I am not able to get to any menus. It only goes as far as "checking media" no matter what I try.

Yes there is a detailed topo on the internal memory. Which is probably what is doing all this.

Ok reply. Last night no matter what I did ti wouldnt get past checking media. This morning I tried a goto - out - and power just as I had dont 20 times last night. it worked. The gps started up restored to all the default settings. I immediately took off the culprit file from the internal memory.

NOW I have another problem. I didnt realize I couldnt use my Topo program. I figured it and 3d were the same thing so I didnt bother to take my 3rd 3d disk with me. Is there a way around this or what? I do have the 3d program on my pc just didnt think I needed to take the disk.

Ok reply. Last night no matter what I did ti wouldnt get past checking media. This morning I tried a goto - out - and power just as I had dont 20 times last night. it worked. The gps started up restored to all the default settings. I immediately took off the culprit file from the internal memory.

NOW I have another problem. I didnt realize I couldnt use my Topo program. I figured it and 3d were the same thing so I didnt bother to take my 3rd 3d disk with me. Is there a way around this or what? I do have the 3d program on my pc just didnt think I needed to take the disk.

Ok another update. I used this patch program off of this siteLINK

I dont see where this is bad since its not like I stole the program. I already owned it, I am just hundreds of miles from home on vacation without my 3rd cd. This program allows me to actually use my program without dragging that around to get lost.

Ok another update. I used this patch program off of this siteLINK

I dont see where this is bad since its not like I stole the program. I already owned it, I am just hundreds of miles from home on vacation without my 3rd cd. This program allows me to actually use my program without dragging that around to get lost.

A lot of us use that patch it saves the disk from being damaged

Ok reply. Last night no matter what I did ti wouldnt get past checking media. This morning I tried a goto - out - and power just as I had dont 20 times last night. it worked.

I *hate* it when that happens (ah, the perversity of inanimate objects). :blink:

I'm in accord with that patch. The copy protection scheme is intended to deter use of the program without paying for it. They have my sympathy in that endeavor, but I don't like it when it makes my use more difficult. So I feel ok taking advantage of the hack for my (or any one else's) legitimate use. Technically it must be a violation of the EULA, but I rather doubt any court would convict us. But shame on anyone who uses it to avoid licensing fees.

Edited by embra