Garmin WILL NOT let you keep unlock codes!

Here is a warning. I just got an email back from Garmin. They are saying that the UNLOCK code I used to link my MAPSOURCE MAP CD (City Select North America V7) with my Garmin Legend is now GONE!! If I sell the Garmin Legend.

I can not retrieve my MAPSOURCE CITY SELECT unlock code, and use it for a new unit.

Effectively for every GPS that you buy from Garmin, you need to buy MAPSOURCE CITY SELECT again (can not use your old code).

On top of that I wonder if the person who bought my old Garmin Legend can use my old unlock code, if I sent them the MAPSOURCE CITY SELECT CD, or if there would be some block for that too.

This all sounds like very poor customer service on Garmins part. Maybe we all need to consider Magellen units or Lowrance units??

Do I have this wrong??

Edited by Ellteejak

I have a streetpilot 2610 that came with mapsource v5 and I just bought a GPSmap 60CSx, I wanted to upgrade my 2610 to v8 so I ordered the dvd and paid the $75, I got the unlock code for the 2610 for v8 and then went to the garmin mapsource update site and entered the s/n for my 60CSx and got another unlock code for it as well for free, my understanding is you can get unlock codes for 2 units. oh, I also got the second unlock code for my 60CSx for v 5. I think if you have the unlock code for your Legend and you have a new garmin unit you should be able to get a second unlock code for it.

Thats how it worked for me anyway.

...my understanding is you can get unlock codes for 2 units. oh, I also got the second unlock code for my 60CSx for v 5. I think if you have the unlock code for your Legend and you have a new garmin unit you should be able to get a second unlock code for it.

Thats how it worked for me anyway.

Yep, what he said.

This all sounds like very poor customer service on Garmins part. Maybe we all need to consider Magellen units or Lowrance units??

Do I have this wrong??

Be careful....not only does Magellan have a similar set-up, they actually tie your gps unit and software to a single computer, so if your computer dies and you replace it, guess what.....you're going to need to buy another unlock code.

You correctly explained Garmin's policy as I understand it and I don't have a problem with it. If you sold your existing software/gps/unlock code to someone else, they would be able to use it. Again, not possible with locked Magellan products (unless you threw in your computer too).

Edited by gnbrotz

When I purchased mapping software from Garmin, according to the packaging/paperwork you could unlock the software and ‘tie’ it to two GPS’s max. Once you did so you could not transfer any unlock to another other GPS without purchasing a new unlock code, even if you lost or sold the gps, period. A new unlock code cost about $75.00

Edited to add the unlock code is tied to an internal code within the GPS, that doesn't justify not being able to transfer to a new gps, but it is a technical fact.

In one way it's a good process, I can share my software with anyone provided they have an unlock code for that version. This happened with a recent upgrade when people purchased an earlier copy after a new release.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I think being able to put Mapsource maps on two GPSr units, and as many computers as you use, is more than fair.

I purchased City Select, and because of the timing of that purchase, got a free upgrade to City Navigator. I have only used one Unlock code so far. When/if I upgrade my GPSr, I will be able to put my City Navigator maps on it.

So far, I've put the Garmin maps on the four different PCs because, since I purchased the maps, I replaced both my desktop and my laptop . . . :)

Doesn't seem like such a bad deal to me . . . :)

I think being able to put Mapsource maps on two GPSr units, and as many computers as you use, is more than fair.

That's it. It's not about the computer, it's about code tied to the gps. You can have the software loaded anywhere.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Here is a warning. I just got an email back from Garmin. They are saying that the UNLOCK code I used to link my MAPSOURCE MAP CD with my Garmin Legend is now GONE!! If I sell the Garmin Legend.

Well, not exactly GONE. It's more accurate to say it effectively gets transferred along with the sale of the Legend (license restrictions notwithstanding).

Maybe LOWRANCE is better than this?

I have no experience with Garmin or Magellan mapping, but Lowrance mapping works like this.

You must have a Mapcreate CD or DVD in the drive, but can install on any compatible computer, and on multiple computers. (I have installed my copy on 3 different computers.)

You must have a Lowrance brand SD reader/ writer to make maps, but any reader will work for GPS data.

You are limited to 5 SD cards. (I have never needed more than 2, and thats because one of them is only 64MB.)

The SD cards and maps should work in any Lowrance unit if I'm not mistaken.

There are some hacks and workarounds for most security features, but I won't go into that here. The latest version of Mapcreate just came out, but I have heard of no major changes in the way maps are created and loaded to the GPS.

Effectively for every GPS that you buy from Garmin, you need to buy MAPSOURCE again (can not use your old code).

Not exactly - you can unlock maps to two units. But you really need to read the licensing agreement which Garmin actually does a pretty good job of documenting. It's not unreasonable, honestly. Also, Mapsource is *NEVER* locked, although some of the map products which you may load via Mapsource are.

Edited by scotte

Here is a warning. I just got an email back from Garmin. They are saying that the UNLOCK code I used to link my MAPSOURCE MAP CD with my Garmin Legend is now GONE!! If I sell the Garmin Legend. ...Do I have this wrong??

Maybe in part. The unlock code should continue to work for that legend. You can't undo the unlock code for the legend and then use it again on another GPS. You should be able to use the 2nd unlock code that Garmin gives for their software for your next GPS.

I could be wrong as well.

Edit: Typo's, Clarity.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Here is a warning. I just got an email back from Garmin. They are saying that the UNLOCK code I used to link my MAPSOURCE MAP CD with my Garmin Legend is now GONE!! If I sell the Garmin Legend. ...Do I have this wrong??

Maybe in part. The unlock code should continue to work for that legend. You can't undo the unlock code for the legend and then use it again on another GPS. You sould need to use the 2nd unlock code that Garmin gives for their software.

I could be wrong as well.

Garmin is very clear in that the unlock code is tied to a single unit. However you can obtain a second NEW FREE unlock code for a second unit if you have the original software.

1) Original purchased Garmin IQUE 3600 that includes CITY SELECT NORTH AMERICA V7 DVD with two unlock codes (one for the IQUE and one spare-free)

2) Bought a Garmin LEGEND and used my second unlock code. (Looks like unlock code is perminantly linked to the serial number for the unit; and maybe your user name; and maybe even the original source DVD)

3) Sold my LEGEND, and effectively sold my unlock code (did not realize that was happening).

4) Bought a 76CSX brand new, but no unlock codes available. Should have bought a used 76CSX with the unlock code already installed for CITY SELECT NORTH AMERICA V7 DVD, and saved myself $75.

Options:

A) Send the 76CSX back to the company I bought from for a full refund (WALMART online in my case, so they will do a refund - just eat the cost of shipping). Then buy a used device with unlock code installed. (effectively a used unit with UNLOCK code assigned, is more valuable than a new unit)

B) Try to load maps to my SD memory card for my IQUE and see if the 76CSX will read the card. Not likely, but could be the same.

C) Spend $75 for two additional unlock codes.

D) Ask someone to sell me their second unlock code for something less than $75. You own it and you can sell it. Else buy CITY SELECT NORTH AMERICA V7 DVD with unused unlock codes off of ebay.

Edited by Ellteejak

Options:

A) Send the 76CSX back to the company I bought from for a full refund (WALMART online in my case, so they will do a refund - just eat the cost of shipping). Then buy a used device with unlock code installed. (effectively a used unit with UNLOCK code assigned, is more valuable than a new unit)

I THINK you have Mapsource and the maps mixed up here. It is the Maps that are locked, not Mapsource. Buying a used GPSr will not solve this problem. I have Mapsource installed on multiple computers for convenience sake, however I only have maps "unlocked" and installed on one 60Csx.

You won't be able to transfer the unlock from someone else (or to someone else).

From Garmin's website:

"Q. What if I upgrade to a new Garmin GPS unit?

A. As long as you have only obtained one unlock code for a given MapSource product and version, then simply follow the procedure a second time and get your second unlock code. You may unlock up to two units with one coupon code. (see ?What if I own more than one Garmin unit compatible with a specific locked MapSource product??).

If you have already unlocked a particular product (and version) for two different compatible Garmin units you own, then you would go through the procedure of purchasing additional unlock codes. We do NOT allow transfer of data when you upgrade your unit."

Edited by dsshepard

Do I have this wrong??

Be careful....not only does Magellan have a similar set-up, they actually tie your gps unit and software to a single computer, so if your computer dies and you replace it, guess what.....you're going to need to buy another unlock code.

That is a flat out lie!

Magellan does not lock your units, SD-cards, maps or any other software to a single computer. Or maybe I missed that during my 5 years as a Magellan technichan (among other brands).

Edited by Dr_Dajom

I THINK you have Mapsource and the maps mixed up here. It is the Maps that are locked, not Mapsource. Buying a used GPSr will not solve this problem. I have Mapsource installed on multiple computers for convenience sake, however I only have maps "unlocked" and installed on one 60Csx.

okay I changed my post to call the product CITY SELECT NORTH AMERICA V7 DVD as that is exactly what it is.

Options:

The GPS itself doesn't contain any unlock code -- the map data does. If you buy a used GPSr, you'd need to obtain the mapsource unlock code from the previous owner, as only he could get it from his personal Garmin website login. When you unlock map data, the mapsource software obtains an unlock code based on your GPSr serial number and data from Garmin's web site. This code is then written into any map data you save using that installation of mapsource. You can load that map data into any GPSr you want, but the GPSr will look at the unlock codes in the map data to see whether one is based on its own serial number. If not, you won't get the unlocked map features.

:blink: Try to load maps to my SD memory card for my IQUE and see if the 76CSX will read the card. Not likely, but could be the same.

As I said, the code is contained in the map data, not the unit itself, so changing maps between units will not work. Each unit will check the embedded code in the map data and know whether it's valid or not.

This is your only legal option.

D) Ask someone to sell me their second unlock code for something less than $75. You own it and you can sell it. Else buy MAPSOURCE with unlock codes off of ebay.

This violates the Garmin licensing agreement, which indicates that unlock codes are not to be shared between multiple users. While you could technically do this, it's not legal. In other words, while you could "split the cost" of the software with a friend and each get one unlock code, doing so violates the Garmin license agreement.

Edited by DocDiTTo

That is a flat out lie!

Magellan does not lock your units, SD-cards, maps or any other software to a single computer. Or maybe I missed that during my 5 years as a Magellan technichan (among other brands).

Let's not go here. To say it's a lie is to call that person a liar. Even if the information they have is incorrect, it is not a lie. It is simply misinformation of which every forum has to a large degree. Let's be civil here.

This is your only legal option.

D) Ask someone to sell me their second unlock code for something less than $75. You own it and you can sell it. Else buy CITY SELECT with unlock codes off of ebay.

This violates the Garmin licensing agreement, which indicates that unlock codes are not to be shared between multiple users. While you could technically do this, it's not legal. In other words, while you could "split the cost" of the software with a friend and each get one unlock code, doing so violates the Garmin license agreement.

I see many "vendors" selling CITY SELECT or CITY NAVIGATOR (DVD by itself in "sealed" package) on ebay that include the unlock codes. I could even buy a bundle package of a GPS and CITY NAVIGATOR with that extra UNLOCK code.

Many options to try. And lots of time to consider saving some dollars.

Also just found out there are three different versions of map software for Garmin, and each has a few different revisions depending on how old they are.

METROGUIDE

CITY SELECT

CITY NAVIGATOR

So, combined with how many bundled GPS are available used and new.

It looks like I have lots of options.

Also just found out there are three different versions of map software for Garmin, and each has a few different revisions depending on how old they are.

METROGUIDE

CITY SELECT

CITY NAVIGATOR

So, combined with how many bundled GPS are available used and new.

It looks like I have lots of options.

Metroguide does not include routing data (well, it has been hacked, but out of the box it does not)

City Select as a stand alone product has been discontinued.

City Navigator V8 is the mapping program that is currently available. You may find an older version of City Select on the internet, provided the unlocks have not been used.

...In one way it's a good process, I can share my software with anyone provided they have an unlock code for that version. This happened with a recent upgrade when people purchased an earlier copy after a new release.

You wouldn't happen to have a City Navigator NT v8 DVD would you? Someone I know just bought a Nuvi 660 and it did not come with a disc or Mapsource. I have contacted Garmin and they said that it would cost 15.00 to get a DVD of City Navigator NT v8 shipped to me after calling a 800 number.

Edited by Seedillume

That is a flat out lie!

Just bought my wife and I each an Explorists 500 for Christmas. After reading for hours I discover (on this board) that you need Map Send Topo 3D v 1.5 for best results and ease. As I was about to install and purchase in small print it says one unit per software. Does this really mean I have to purchase this software two times?? For more than I paid for the units?? Is there any way around this?

It's worse than you think...not only two T3Ds, but also two computers. Magellan's one GPS/one computer/one software program copy-protection arrangement is the most adle-brained scheme I've have the misfortune to witness. I had a father who bought his family of 4 their own GPS/DirectRoute packages note his frustration (note: this is known to be the situation with the newest MapSend DirectRoute, and I *presume* it to be so for T3D, although I must confess I've not heard this verified from anyone yet).

If you can find v1.0 of T3D (the version that comes on CD), you can run both GPS units off the same computer...and, for that matter, you can get by with a single copy of the program, although it would be a violation of the EULA.

I ran into this idiotic Magellan problem when my two children started geocaching also. We have had better luck using a VERY old version of MapSend. We would not mind having the advantages of the new versions, but just can not afford to buy multiple copies.

From your description of desired features, the Magellan Explorist 600 would seem a likely fit with the 3-axis electronic compass, barometer, and thermometer. You should look at it, but there are several things that I think would argue against it:

• the compass works pretty well, but the other sensors aren't that accurate and most people don't find them very useful.
  • I don't know how many units you are buying, but each Explorist will require not only its own copy of a detailed mapping program, but also its own computer to run on. There appears to be an unofficial workaround for this, but it's cumbersome. Garmin lets you add additional units for what I consider a reasonable license fee.

Bold emphasis added by me.

Admittedly my statements were based on information that I myself read in other postings, but for now, I'm sticking by it. I've seen many posts by embra in regards to Magellan products and services, and consider him to be one of the resident Magellan 'gurus' on these boards. I also know if the info is incorrect, it certainly wasn't a lie, but rather a mistake. Also, notice similar experiences by other users. Until you're post, I've never seen this assertion challenged or seen anyone explain how to (legally) get around this odd restriction.

For now, I'm standing by my previous comments.

Edited by gnbrotz

I may be wrong, but I don't believe you can sell your unlock code. From my experience the unlock code is not only tied to your unit, but also to your account with Garmin. Of course you could give someone access to your account.

El Diablo

I always read about people selling or giving their unlock codes for various map products. However, when I look at my account on Garmin's site, I can see my name and address. I suppose people use fake addresses when unlocking their maps?

That is a flat out lie!

gnbrotz cited the information a few posts up of the information that was passed to me and I had shared here. I'll have to admit that it's second-hand--I've stuck with an older version of DirectRoute and Topo3D that are not as restrictive. But the guy who complained that he had to buy a separate computer for each software/GPS combination was heartfelt and pretty clear. He said he had communicated with Magellan about it, and was essentially told that it had to be that way (i.e., it seemed they were unable to find any work-around for him, my presumption being that the program required this arrangement).

I believe that this copy-protection arrangement applies to both the MapSend DirectRoute v3 and Topo3D v1.5: the DVD versions. If you are aware of something other that that from first-hand experience, we certainly want to be set straight as our main desire is to provide accurate information (but please don't question our personal integrity until you have more substantial cause...we are sharing this information in good faith).

I have since learned (I think...it's a little hard to keep this stuff straight second-hand) that the DVD versions *will* allow multiple installations for any given GPS unit. So someone who wants to install DirectRoute v3 on his desktop and laptop for the same GPS can do so. But my understanding remains that if he wants to load DR maps on both his and his wife's Explorist XL, that he will need a separate computer for each unit.

In light of that, gnbrotz's description of the policy as "locked to one computer" is not exactly right. It seems to be more a matter that each copy of the program needs a dedicated computer and GPS...it won't play nice with a second copy installed on the same computer, and a single program cannot handle multiple GPS units. This is very restrictive for a family with multiple GPS units.

It is not clear to me if someone could have DirectRoute unlocked to his XL *and* Topo3D unlocked to someone else's 600 on the same computer. Maybe that's possible, maybe it isn't.

One other thing gnbrotz said that might be overstating the case would be the need to buy a new unlock code if the computer died. First of all, the new information I just cited suggests that if you still have the unlock code, it could be used on a second computer (I'm sure he wasn't aware of this, and I only learned it after the posts he cited were made). Even if the unlock code was lost in the dead computer, I would expect that if the situation were explained to Magellan tech support they would issue a new unlock code...but it would be an exception to the general policy. I don't have a sense of whether they are flexible or rigid on this, as it's not come up too much on the boards I frequent.

If all this seems complicated to anyone, it sure feels that way to me. I suppose for the vast majority of users it doesn't make much difference. But for some, it's a very big deal.

Embra, thanks for the further clarifications and updates on my comments. Lets see if I have it right now:

• Magellan software comes with a single unlock code
  • You can install the software to more than one computer (desktop/laptop, etc.)
  • You cannot install maps to two different gps units from the same computer because you can't install the same application to the same computer twice
  • It might be possible to install two different mapping products to two different gps units from the same computer (one type per specific unit), but this had not been definitively confirmed
  • The dying computer=new unlock code purchase was off-base. One would hope Magellan would help out in this situation, but there is no clear published answer to this situation

Did I miss anything?

That's about as concise an understanding as I know it--I'd be happy for any confirmation or disputation. The final point about buying a new unlock code because of a dead computer is sort of a worst case scenario, I suppose--what one would have to do if tech support took a hard line. Despite my generally negative feel towards Magellan tech support these days, I still think they would be reasonable about this.

In light of the whole thing, *my* preference is much more along the Garmin approach.

Reading all this makes me glad I live where I do.

In Canada, we don't have any lock codes, well not in the topo or metroguide.

Those don't use unlock codes. City Select and City Navigator do.

Exactly, I am a Canadian in Florida, have US TOPO & there are NO UNLOCK codes .......as there are none for the Canadian TOPO. However the US one leaves a lot to be desired, would not recommend buying this.

My Experiences

I had Etrex and Metroguide 6 changed to GPSmap 76CS Changed to GPSmap 76CSX

Metroguide has worked on all THREE units no problem Yes Metroguide does do navigation out of thee BOX No hacking

I also got City Select V7 with my GPSmap 76CS That works on the New GPSmap 76CSx on the second unit system when I unlock map it says not valid Login to Garmin and it unlocks maps for second unit

I have got Topo GB with my 76CSx so when and if I change that unit I will still have a free code to go on a new Garmin Unit

I have changed my PC several times during the ownership of MapSource and each time it has installed with out problems and it runs on my home and work machine together.

When I sold my GPSmap 76CS it still had the UK city select V6 loaded and I printed off the 25 digit code as it is licensed to the unit after that I don’t know it works on their PC as I have had no contact since

I am more than happy with the licence locks on the Garmin

I also have a TomTom 910 That got stolen from my car obviously the extra TomTom map disks I had at home when I tried to put my purchased software in my replacement TomTom my extra maps were locked to my stolen unit No amount of emails to TomTom will persuade them to give me the new codes to work in the new unit Seems the thieves have the licence for all my TomTom disks now not me. and of course the insurance wont pay to replace the maps that were not stolen even they don’t work I think the TomTom system is a total farce Common sense should tell them that the disks are unlikely to be stolen with the unit and they should have the ability to change to a new unit even if only once

So the Garmin system may not be the best but it is certainly NOT the WORST

Hi,

I have a 60cx, which I bought with CS7. I eneded up getting a nuvi 350 for my wife (she kept taking my 60cx), and it came with CS7, but a free upgrade to NT8. I asked the garmin rep if I could get NT8 codes for my 60cx, and they zapped me codes without any questions, so I have NT8 on 2 garmin units. YMMV.

Randy

I happened to come across the following while researching something else for a friend which describes further the Magellan licensing, and I remembered the thread here, so figured I may as well post it...

http://www.gpsinformation.net/waas/Mag3-D/eXplorist.html states:

MapSend Topo 3D USA 1.00 (which comes on CD) is licensed for use with one Magellan GPS receiver, although the program allows up to three changes to the original serial number entry. However, the new Topo 3D USA v1.5 (on DVD) will allow uploading maps to only one receiver: the program requires an unlock code associated with the GPS serial number. The program and its unlock code can be loaded on multiple computers for use with the same GPS. However, if you have a SECOND receiver bundled with the new Topo 3D USA requiring a second unlock code, you will need a second PC Computer to install the maps in order to upload them to the second unit--a given computer can apparently handle only a single GPS serial number.

DirectRoute's copy protection is similar: DirectRoute v1 and v2 were sold on CD and allowed one to change serial numbers for up to 3 times (for a total of 4 different units). DirectRoute v3 comes on DVD and requires a dedicated GPS/computer pairing. Multiple MapSend programs (e.g., Topo3D and DirectRoute) can operate with the same computer so long as the unlock codes are for the same GPS.