I just dont get it

Ok I am using the Exploist 500 and love it. I just got direct Route today and the cd is marked version 2.00f witch is what I was told was the newest. So I installed it read the booklet and then wham brick wall. I select my region goto upload it to my explorist 500 and theres only com1 and com2 and it never finds it because its hooked up threw the usb cable that came with the explorist 500. So i am at a total loss the GPSr has the latest firmware. So all I can figure is I was screwed and sold the wrong software. Any help at all please I am the smash first regret it later type lol.

1. The newest version, 3.0, comes on DVD. Personally, I think you're better off with the 2.0 (see this review of v3).

2. V1 and v2 of DR are not USB-aware...they came out before the Explorists did. Essentially you have to compile your detail map files to the hard drive, and then copy them to the SD card or internal memory. You can find more detailed instructions (including a nice video tutorial) in the "Uploading maps" section in this review of the Explorist.

Dude,chill.Take a deep breath.I just recently bought the V2 from ebay and have successefully loaded all of the Us in one file on my 500.You dont have to remove the sd card,it works same a topo usa.just create a region in mapsend and send it to sd card instead of internal memory.Pretty easy,Im not reall computer savvy.

Ok dude,It works and yes card has to be taken out and put into a sd reader and uploaded too then put back in because the 500 is usb and the program only reads com ports. If you like the hassle fine by me I dislike it and was informing others of the pain thanks

Save your maps to your hard drive. When you connect your eXplorist 500 to your computer you should get an option to select the type of communication. I don’t remember the exact mode but it’s something like SD or external memory mode. This allows you to connect your GPS as an external drive and works like a card reader allowing the transfer of files to you SD card without removing it. It's just a mater of copying the map file from your hard drive and paste in your detail map file on the SD card in your GPS.

Edited by Cacheoholic

Save your maps to your hard drive. When you connect your eXplorist 500 to your computer you should get an option to select the type of communication. I don’t remember the exact mode but it’s something like SD or external memory mode. This allows you to connect your GPS as an external drive and works like a card reader allowing the transfer of files to you SD card without removing it. It's just a mater of copying the map file from your hard drive and paste in your detail map file on the SD card in your GPS.

You know I wonder if this will work with my existing Garmin IQUE 3600 (a PALM PDA) and my SD card for the IQUE. If I put everything on the SD card, can I then use this SD card in my Garmin 76CSX and have the maps work.

Effectively a "work around" to allow the maps to be used on two devices, without unlock codes. Well eventually I will try, but I have doubts it will work.

I have not removed my sd card or battery in months on my 500.Easily transfer pocket querries and topo map and direct route maps from mapsend program.In mapsend it gives an option,save to hard drive,save to gps, or sd card.If communications are set for sd card on unit,everything you export or save to: will go to sd card in unit.

I have been told (or read) that using an SD card writer, rather than writing directly to a card in the unit is much faster

Any experiences with this?

'Tis so. Apparently the GPS allows USB 1.0 communication, but a 2.0 USB card reader will allow for transfers much faster. It's been a very long time since I did a comparison, but I think I recall a file that took less than a minute to move through the reader took nearly 10 minutes to go to the card while in the GPS.

My memory may be exaggerating things a little, but I believe that 2.0 is supposed to be up to 4X faster than 1.0. I'll still leave the card in the GPS for waypoint and track transfers and even smallish map files because it is more convenient to leave the card in the GPS. But for big files, it's worth the hassle to pull it.