question on downloaded info

tumbleweed1965

When you get a Premium Membership to the site, you can create Pocket Queries. These contain the information on up to 500 caches.

Also, after you become a Premium Member, you can download the individual .gpx files from each cache page.

These files have a lot more information in them than the .loc files you get now.

GSAK can do lots with all that information. PQs and GSAK (and Cachemate if you have a Palm or Pocket PC) make a great combination. :)

When I first started Geocaching (which has not even been a year yet!!), I just printed out the sheets of the caches I was hunting for. Then I got hooked!! (Getting hooked only took 3-4 finds!!) I found when I was in an unexpected area of town, I could not really go caching because I did not have coords and printouts. So I went with the monthly Premium Membership (at first) to see if the fee would be useful. Then I bought GSAK and Cachemate and got a used Palm off Craig's List. I have never looked back. What other hobby/sport can you get into for under $250-300 and have as much fun as you have time. Even if you go top of the line you would be hard pressed to spend over $1000 (excluding that new Jeep!!).

The monthly Premium membership as $3. Heck, you can hardly get a lunch for that off the dollar menu. Try it - it'll make your geocaching so much easier and fun!

Outspoken1

When you get a Premium Membership to the site, you can create Pocket Queries. These contain the information on up to 500 caches.

Also, after you become a Premium Member, you can download the individual .gpx files from each cache page.

These files have a lot more information in them than the .loc files you get now.

GSAK can do lots with all that information. PQs and GSAK (and Cachemate if you have a Palm or Pocket PC) make a great combination. :)

When I first started Geocaching (which has not even been a year yet!!), I just printed out the sheets of the caches I was hunting for. Then I got hooked!! (Getting hooked only took 3-4 finds!!) I found when I was in an unexpected area of town, I could not really go caching because I did not have coords and printouts. So I went with the monthly Premium Membership (at first) to see if the fee would be useful. Then I bought GSAK and Cachemate and got a used Palm off Craig's List. I have never looked back. What other hobby/sport can you get into for under $250-300 and have as much fun as you have time. Even if you go top of the line you would be hard pressed to spend over $1000 (excluding that new Jeep!!).

The monthly Premium membership as $3. Heck, you can hardly get a lunch for that off the dollar menu. Try it - it'll make your geocaching so much easier and fun!

Outspoken1

Thanx for the information I will get the paid membership in a few min. and miragee I am using a palm if i can get all the bugs out of it lol and outspoken1 I also was hooked after my first few finds,but Im to techey for my own good sometimes (I love my "techey toys" ) didnt even think about printing out the info......duh

:)

Well now Im more confused than before. I paid for the membership but the search comes up the same still downloads as a .loc and GSAK still dosent show anymore info. Tried a "Pocket Query" got the same as if i did a normal search when I clicked download waypoints they were .loc ??? btw nothing came in email (and I had it checked to)..........ohhhh wait I GOT MAIL.... we'll see once again.....crossing fingers

Well now Im more confused than before. I paid for the membership but the search comes up the same still downloads as a .loc and GSAK still dosent show anymore info. Tried a "Pocket Query" got the same as if i did a normal search when I clicked download waypoints they were .loc ??? btw nothing came in email (and I had it checked to)..........ohhhh wait I GOT MAIL.... we'll see once again.....crossing fingers

Make sure you choose GPX and not LOC! At the bottom of you Pocket Query page, there is a drop-down selection box.

I use GSAK and my pages look VERY much like the geocaching.com pages, except no pictures. But if you ran the PQ looking for LOC files, you'll get almost no info.

Edited by michigansnorkeler

Can anyone tell me how to import GASK files into cetus on my palm?Ive tried installing the pdb file,tried copying it to several differant locations on my palm,and exported the file as a .loc and put it in several differant locations on my palm to no avail.I just cant seem to get cetus to find/read any db

Can anyone tell me how to import GASK files into cetus on my palm?Ive tried installing the pdb file,tried copying it to several differant locations on my palm,and exported the file as a .loc and put it in several differant locations on my palm to no avail.I just cant seem to get cetus to find/read any db

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with Cetus.

Many of us use Cachemate on our Palm devices. It costs $8 and is well worth it.

From GSAK, there is a menu option to send the files to your palm via cachemate. It takes a couple seconds.

From GSAK, there is a menu option to send the files to your palm via cachemate. It takes a couple seconds.

Cachemate keeps rebooting my palm,I connect to the bluetooth gpsr works good for about 2 min then loses connection as soon as i touch anything on palm *poof* it reboots...lol

I am having sort of the same problem, I thought that when you loaded the .gpx file into GSAK and sent it to the GPSr (GPSmap 60CSx) that it would put the hint if there was one in the note field on the GPSr, have I got this wrong or do I just not know what I am doing?

I am having sort of the same problem, I thought that when you loaded the .gpx file into GSAK and sent it to the GPSr (GPSmap 60CSx) that it would put the hint if there was one in the note field on the GPSr, have I got this wrong or do I just not know what I am doing?

I think I know what you want. I just learned how to do this myself. Go into GSAK. Open up Help and search the topic, "specialty tags." You can choose how you want the information to read on your GPS by customizing your tags. I chose that I wanted the container size listed, the type of cache, the difficulty level, the terrain level and the hint. You will see what I mean when you open this topic in help.

Once you understand what tags are and how they can be used you'll wonder where you put that information. When you open up "GPS" at the top line of tabs you'll find the choice "sending waypoints." Click on that and you will see that you can choose default or uncheck default. That will allow you to put in your customized tags.

I use GSAK and after dragging my Pocket Query results to GSAK to unzip them, I then export from the File menu to a HTML file.

After that I use isilo to convert those files which puts them in my Palm Sync file. When I sync my Palm Tero 700p I then have a file in my "Isilo" folder to browse the caches just like you had printed them out.

Cachemate keeps rebooting my palm,I connect to the bluetooth gpsr works good for about 2 min then loses connection as soon as i touch anything on palm *poof* it reboots...lol

I've been using Cachemate for more than two years on my Palm M500 and have never had a problem. I wonder what could be causing that with your Palm . . . ? :unsure:

To get the hint on your GPSr, you use the Special Tags in GSAK.

I use this code for the name of the cache:

%smart=6 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

In the Waypoint Description blank, I use this code:

%Name=10 %hint

You can use all sorts of tags to customize for what you need or want. :)

When exporting from GSAK to CACHEMATE, I use the following

%drop2/%con1%bug=+-

%drop2 removes the GC part of the name

/ is a slash

%con is the container code

1%bug=+- shows a + if there is a TB, and a - if not

Where this comes in handy is when you run a "nearest cache" search, and you can quickly see the container and TB status of each cache on the list.

-----------------

When downloading from GSAK to my GPS, I use the following for the WAYPOINT NAME ...

%con1%bug%smart=8

%con1 shows a one letter container description

%bug shows Y or N for status of TBs

%smart=8 is a "smart" abbreviation of the name

This is what shows on my map screen, so I can instantly see the size of any cache, an if there is a TB present

... And the following for the Waypoint description

%name=16%Dif/%Ter%hint

%name=16 uses 16 characters maximum for the name

%Dif shows the difficulty

/ is a slash

%Ter is the terrain

%hint is as much of the hint that can fit in the remaining space (prettyuseless usually)

This info shows in the NOTE section of the GPSr. Depending on your needs, you could simply make it

%hint and only the hint would show up. The trouble is that hints are usually so lengthly that this still isn't very helpful.

Edited by michigansnorkeler

When exporting from GSAK to CACHEMATE, I use the following

%drop2/%con1%bug=+-

%drop2 removes the GC part of the name

/ is a slash

%con is the container code

1%bug=+- shows a + if there is a TB, and a - if not

Where this comes in handy is when you run a "nearest cache" search, and you can quickly see the container and TB status of each cache on the list.

-----------------

When downloading from GSAK to my GPS, I use the following for the WAYPOINT NAME ...

%con1%bug%smart=8

%con1 shows a one letter container description

%bug shows Y or N for status of TBs

%smart=8 is a "smart" abbreviation of the name

This is what shows on my map screen, so I can instantly see the size of any cache, an if there is a TB present

... And the following for the Waypoint description

%name=16%Dif/%Ter%hint

%name=16 uses 16 characters maximum for the name

%Dif shows the difficulty

/ is a slash

%Ter is the terrain

%hint is as much of the hint that can fit in the remaining space (prettyuseless usually)

This info shows in the NOTE section of the GPSr. Depending on your needs, you could simply make it

%hint and only the hint would show up. The trouble is that hints are usually so lengthly that this still isn't very helpful.

A picture is worth a 1000 words

4102007102544.png

and

4102007102330.png

kfrere, Thanks for the response with the special tags in GSAK, I read the help topic on it and thought I had it figured out but when i tried to put the tags into affect it still shows nothing on my GPSr except the smart name. :huh: So I still am not doing something right. Anybody have any idea what I am doing wrong? When you string those tags together do you have to put a comma or anything between them?

Thanks, Tim

You can use the special tags in any order you like. I use these codes:

%smart=6 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

That gives me the Smart Name, the Size of the Container, the Type of Cache, and the Difficulty and Terrain, based on a 10-point scale.

For the Notes section, I use this code:

%Name=10 %hint

That gives me the name again, and the hint, if it is short. :huh: