Camping for Caches

I'm planning on taking the kids on some camping trips this summer/fall (we're from the Chicago area) and was wondering if anyone had suggestions of good places to camp that have a decent amount of caches in the area that can be reached. My oldest kids are 4 & 5 so nothing that involves spelunking or rock climbing, please :cry:

I would be willing to travel outside the midwest if it was worth it, so feel free to give any suggestions you can think of!

=- Chris

I would go the other way around, where am I going to camp?, what caches are in the area? being in the chicago area, you have three state park system to camp in within fifty miles. Use the google maps to scout the caches in the parks and along the route. Other than that just have fun, caching is just another camping activity. (did I really just say that)

Hello,

If you want to travel a little on your cacheing adventure, try Burns Park in North Little Rock, AR. It's about 1600 acres with 40+ caches already in it. We have an event there the 28th of this month so I'm sure there'll be more added. The have a good little campground in the middle of the park. I've seen it and it is well maintained, but not stayed there yet. Ask me after the 28th how the camping acutally is and I'll know for sure. I'll spend several days there for the event.

You can look it over at http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/media/display.asp?id=313.

Hope you have fun in your camping travels.

Scooter

I apologize for not replying sooner (apparently I check the forums once a year), but thanks to all of you for your replies! We're intending to get a pop-up camper sometime soon, so the AR site may be in the works ;-)

Edited by Hootsies

There's a pretty good collection of caches in and around Salt Fork State Park near Cambridge, OH. I spent a very pleasant day caching there last fall. Got 10 or 11 caches before my wife's patience ran out, and there are still a few I havn't gotten. I'll likely head back there this summer.

hairball

I'm planning on taking the kids on some camping trips this summer/fall (we're from the Chicago area) and was wondering if anyone had suggestions of good places to camp that have a decent amount of caches in the area that can be reached. My oldest kids are 4 & 5 so nothing that involves spelunking or rock climbing, please <_<

I would be willing to travel outside the midwest if it was worth it, so feel free to give any suggestions you can think of!

=- Chris

Geocaching is allowed in Wisconsin state parks. Take a look and see what you can find........ Have a fun vacation!

We just sold our pop-up and bought a regular trailer , it's only an 18'er but this one has a bathroom and a real sized fridge!!Hootsies, I'd think twice on buying a pop-up. We only had ours for two years. And we wished we'd bought a conventional trailer from the day we bought that thing!

Lake Tahoe is a great place to cache, tons of caches and camping to be had and one of the most beautiful places on earth! I've even had one of my record days up there! :D

I would definitely pick a park or campground based on what everyone likes to do -- geocaching is absolutely secondary. My experience camping with small children is that the logistics (tending the camp, cooking, potty breaks, snacks, naps, etc.) dominate. Spent a week driving around SD, MT, WY last summer and didn't do a single geocache. Just did not have time. Honestly, I had a better time when I put the Garmin away.

That said, if you are just getting a pop-up, keep the first few excursions short, simple, and close to home. If things go to hell, it is easier to manage. Our first family trip of the year usually is within an hour of home, and most of the meals are ready to eat picnic foods. We get more elaborate, go further out and bring the dutch oven as the summer goes along.

I will second the recommendation for checking out the state parks in Wisconsin. Close (within two hours or so) to the Chicago area are:

- Devils Lake (Baraboo and Circus World Museum)

- Yellowstone Lake

- Mirror Lake (Near the Dells)

- Governor Dodge (near Ddogeville and Spring Green, and home to the 2008 WGA Geo Campout)

- Pike Lake (near Holy Hill, NW of Milwukee)

A little further down the road:

- Peninsula and Potowatami (Door County, nuff said!)

- Hartmann Creek (Waupaca Chain O Lakes)

There are more, but I am limiting to places I have actually camped at. Kettle Moraine State Forest North Unit (Kewaskum) and South Unit (Eagle) have lots of caches -- I have hiked around there lots -- but not sure what the campgrounds are like.

In Illinois, I love Starved Rock, but geocaching opportunities seem a bit sparse. In Illinois there is also Shabonna Lake (north) and Giant City (south by Carbondale).

Indiana Dunes State Park has an awesome campground, but again, caching is a little sparse. It has been a long time, but liked camping at Lake Monroe near Bloomington.

Happy Camping!