What Swag do you put in a Cache?

I've just put out my first cache. I'm fairly new to the hobby and placed toys and games to start mine off. I of course was thinking that kids might find these enjoyable.

How about you Adults out there? What do you place in your caches when you put them out there? What do you you leave in caches when you find them? What do you like to find in caches?

If you choose not to put anything in or trade nothing, please don't reply to this, since it defeats my purpose. I know you're out there and I myself almost never take anything, but almost always leave something (I'm wavering now, I usually leave small plastic lizards, at Christmas I left jingle bells). But I would prefer to leave not only something that says I was there (I'm looking at geocoins or tags) but something also worth being traded for later.

Your thoughts? :cry: What swag do you like? ;)

I've been to a lot of caches where someone has left a single die. I always thought, "what can you do with a die?" ;)

I went on the internet and looked up dice games. A couple of interesting ones I printed off the rules for and made a game board. I package two dice, the rules and the game board in a vacuum pack bag 3"x4"x3/4". I've vacuum packed other things labeled "in case of a geocaching emergency, break plastic"; batteries, complete micro cache, spare log book, etc. :)

Otherwise, anything outdoorsy.

I go to the camping section in stores and look for items that cost around a dollar or two. I might carry along something a little more costly for a better trade. :cry:

I asked a similar question recently. See

decent reasonable swag

I've just put out my first cache. I'm fairly new to the hobby and placed toys and games to start mine off. I of course was thinking that kids might find these enjoyable.

How about you Adults out there? What do you place in your caches when you put them out there? What do you you leave in caches when you find them? What do you like to find in caches?

One thing I have been leaving recently is small first aid kits that I get at the Wal Mart checkout line for 94 cents. They are small and self contained, with bandages, first aid ointment, and a few other things in them. Just right for dropping in the geo pack and keeping on hand for those occasional bumps and scrapes. Small enough to fit in a glove box as well. Also, screwdrivers with bit attachments that I pick up at the dollar store seem to be popular. I always try to put an assortment of things in my new caches, or when I am restocking. I always try to keep in mind the things that I would like to find or see as useful, and what things me kids like to trade for.

One thing I have been leaving recently is small first aid kits that I get at the Wal Mart checkout line for 94 cents. They are small and self contained, with bandages, first aid ointment, and a few other things in them. Just right for dropping in the geo pack and keeping on hand for those occasional bumps and scrapes. Small enough to fit in a glove box as well. Also, screwdrivers with bit attachments that I pick up at the dollar store seem to be popular. I always try to put an assortment of things in my new caches, or when I am restocking. I always try to keep in mind the things that I would like to find or see as useful, and what things me kids like to trade for.

Have you looked at the $ store first aid kits. They may have just one or two more items in them, and are in a snap close plastic box. They also have a $1 sewing kit(first aid fer yer clothes)

Here's a partial list of some of my most common drops that seem to get a good response from the takers

My signature GameCards

various other sigitems

key ring notebooks

petrified wood

small bag of marbles

pair of tiny fridge magnets

auto fuses

half dollar coins

I'll think of more of course. I'm trying to decide how to best use a large supply of magnetic sheets that I got for free. I'm trying to find the right stickers to cover the existing printing.

Marbles...100 for a dollar, and I put 6-8 in a little baggie.

Fuses...I ended up with most of a case that had about 200 pkgs in it...for free!!

Petrified Wood...I went to a cache site in AZ where you can gather the stuff...gathered a couple hundred pieces(still well under the 25lb daily limit) Carved a rubber stamp "Petrified Wood" stamped onto leftover scraps from making my GameCards(glad now that I never threw away the 1" x 11" strips) paper and wood bit into baggie. cool trade item. the wood bits range in size from a golf pencil or half a kit-kat bar down to a quarter, dime or half a dime(the littlest ones can have the baggie rolled up, and still fit two in a film can.

I'm thinking of doing the same with other mineral and stone samples. there are places where you can gather things like quartz crystals. Not really worth anything but cool for rockhounds or kids who collect rocks(most of us at some point)

Tiny Magnets...found at the $ store 8/$1, put two in a tiny baggie, fits in a film can. They are cool little rubber figures with one of the really strong magnets(the magnet part is about half the size of the eraseryou would find in a mechanical pencil)..Rabbits, Ladybugs, Strawberries, Scooters, Cats, Helicopters, Several more styles, about 15 I think

Oh Yeah, Maps!! I grab a few of the free ones at visitor centers, and drop them a few states away, so they can be grabbed before you get there, I also get them from AAA (but don't tell them what I do with them)

It's not usually a choice of an item off the list, but may be up to all the things on the list, I sometimes leave up to a dozen trade items.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

As a secondary note I've found online sites that sell many (a gross of an item for example) of different things and they can be quite cheap. They tend to range more in the kid area but there is some things adults might like as well:

Rhode Island Novelty

Oriental Trading Company

Good Time Attractions

Some carry different Items than others, some at better prices. For those that like to plan on what they're going to use and have it ready, these are fine sources.

Edited by spoongouge

As a secondary note I've found online sites that sell many (a gross of an item for example) of different things and they can be quite cheap. They tend to range more in the kid area but there is some things adults might like as well:

Rhode Island Novelty

Oriental Trading Company

Good Time Attractions

Some carry different Items than others, some at better prices. For those that like to plan on what they're going to use and have it ready, these are fine sources.

You'd better lookout, the dollar store owners are coming to get you!!!

I'm a very new cacher, and haven't placed one of my own, but when I take something I've gotten into the habit of leaving a bandana. They're $1 at WalMart, and fold up nicely into ziplock-bag size. They seem to go over pretty well, because the logs indicate they're usually the first thing the next person grabs. I figure they're handy and versatile - you can use it as a scarf, or a neckerchief or a sweatband or pour water on it and use it to cool down or clean off (you can make a hat, or a brooch or a pterodactyl.....[five points to the first one who gets that reference]... :blink: )

(you can make a hat, or a brooch or a pterodactyl.....[five points to the first one who gets that reference]... :blink: )

[Raising my hand and yelling "I know, I know!!"]

It's from one of my all-time favorite silly movies, "Airplane!":

Tower Guy: Chief, this weather bulletin just came off the wire.

MCrosky: Johnny, what can you make outta this?

Johnny: This? Why I could make a hat, or a brooch, a pterodactyl...

:o;):o

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

I wanted to add that your own sig item, meaning something personalized in some way, is far more appreciated than generic stuff. I bought some great little flashlights until I figured out what I was going to do for a sig item.

Very gratifying to leave your own thing. FIMO clay is a great medium and a local geocaching sage puts on workshops to help people out.

Cheers,

nooks

I'm a very new cacher, and haven't placed one of my own, but when I take something I've gotten into the habit of leaving a bandana. They're $1 at WalMart, and fold up nicely into ziplock-bag size. They seem to go over pretty well, because the logs indicate they're usually the first thing the next person grabs. I figure they're handy and versatile - you can use it as a scarf, or a neckerchief or a sweatband or pour water on it and use it to cool down or clean off (you can make a hat, or a brooch or a pterodactyl.....[five points to the first one who gets that reference]... :unsure: )

If you're ever geocaching in Los Angeles, you might want to leave those at home, as it might be misunderstood by some of the local gangs. Man, if they even see one hanging out of your pocket...yeesh, you don't even want to know what runs through their heads.

What I have left in my own caches:

• novels
  • music CDs
  • craft punches (hole punches that make fancy shapes)
  • keychain flashlights and full-sized LED flashlights
  • multi-tools
  • gel pens
  • toy animals
  • carabiners
  • various knicknacks
  • DVDs
  • a hummingbird feeder (it was a whim)
  • die-cast toys

Do I recommend adding these to a new cache? Probably not. Every time I place one I'm usually telling myself that it's the last one. Too much $$$ But then, it compels me to put more effort into the hide. Sometimes I wonder if people would place caches more carefully if it hurt them in the wallet.

When I find other people's caches...well, I try to trade even, which means I don't generally need to bring anything more expensive that a buck. The dollar store is great for that.

What do I like to find in other people's caches? Wealth. Pure unspoiled wealth. :) Actually, my favorite item of all time is a plastic gray rat, which I have sitting in front of me at the moment. Don't ask me why, because I haven't got a clue.

(you can make a hat, or a brooch or a pterodactyl.....[five points to the first one who gets that reference]... :D )

[Raising my hand and yelling "I know, I know!!"]

It's from one of my all-time favorite silly movies, "Airplane!":

Tower Guy: Chief, this weather bulletin just came off the wire.

MCrosky: Johnny, what can you make outta this?

Johnny: This? Why I could make a hat, or a brooch, a pterodactyl...

:D:unsure::D

--Larry

**Dingdingding**

We have a winner! Five points to Larry!

"Surely you can't be serious!"

Yes, I am. And don't call me Shirley. :):D

I started leaving green monkies from Barrel of Monkies games on a trip to Delware. It just kinda stuck and now I always make sure to pick up a barrel or 2 everytime I go to reserve duty. The games themselves are kinda hard to find but they carry them on base for some reason.

It's cheap, small and eveyone knows what they are.

I live in Florida, where the mosquitoes show up on radar. I often leave those pre-packaged deet wipes. Those seem very popular. One thing though... when you use those wipes and touch your GPS, it will get all gummy. I have no idea why.

As for taking froma cache, I am a sucker for anything that glows in the dark. I never found a micro cache set in a cache, but if I did, I would flip. For some reason, those little bendy guys seem to always go home with me. I have left caribiners, but they just seem to sit there and do nothing but rot.

My single most favorite thing to leave is a new $1 whoopie cushion. You just can't not smile at a whoopie cushion! :unsure:

I have started leaving the new dollar coins of the presidents series. Local state quarters are also give a local flavor.

They seem to be interesting. In some cases though, people don't know what they are and say they took a game piece :unsure::)

dad2jnk

I read the post above...too lazy to quote...but i also leave quartz crystals. mined a bunch a few years back, and thought they would make good swag. some people seem to like them. plus, they are cheap! i'm also geting into the wooden nickel thing. just picked some up and started experimenting, so hopefully i will have a sig nickel out there soon. other than that, i just leave whatever cool stuff we have laying aorund. we have been moving for the last 2 weeks, so while i haven't been able to get out caching, the swag bag has doubled in size! anyways, that's about all i leave....happy caching!

dtc

We've placed a few caches with what i consider to be really good swag in them. Mapping software, GPSrs, frs/gmrs radios, flashlights, compasses, digital camera, battery operated tv, even an electric scooter. Of course we can't afford to do that all the time so some of our's have started out like alot of other caches out there, with a conglomeration of dollar store items. :unsure:

If I think about it ahead of time, I'll leave a wheresgeorge labled and registered dollar. Thought being that maybe the next cacher is also a wheresgeorge person and will effectively get my buck moving :unsure: At one point I was leaving little green men, but found a cache that had a whole colony in it. Will eventually see if I can get a wooden nickle sig item.. or something else cool. Yesterday I left a short (2") pencil to aid people who may have forgotten their pen. I left it in a film can micro.

Vince

Edited by sargenv

Since Fiona (Our daughter) is usually with us on the hunt with us we've been putting little "camo" rubber ducks and "fairy tale" rubber ducks with our GeoNick on the bottom. Our 4 travel bugs are also rubber ducks, I'm starting to think maybe there's a theme here.

I can't wait to get my coins in so I can leave a few of those here & there.

Carabiners . . . :o

Maybe it is their bright colors, but I like them. I also leave carabiners . . . go figure. :unsure:

I often trade for very silly little things that serve as a reminder of the cache.

Just as an off note - if they are the carabiners I'm thinking of - the bright color is the result of a process called anodising(sp?). It's done with some metals (such as aluminum) to not only make them pretty but to give the metal a little bit more protection. Here's a link for more info - and I made sure it was a link that had pictures of carabiners.. <_<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodising

I thought it was a really neat thing to learn about some time ago when I found out just why some metal stuff has that pretty shiny surface. I guess since rust is a metal's way of forming a protective coating to protect the rest of the metal from the natural oxidization process - anodising helps bypass all of that. =)

Sometimes I think I would have made an interesting chemist but I wouldn't trust myself with chemicals around me.. >_>

I usually leave various polished minerals/stones since I live in a very urban area near Los Angeles and most caches don't have a lot of room

Among the types I leave in caches are:

Hematite

Ocean Jasper

Mookaite Jasper

Apricot Agate

Goldstone

Picasso stone

Melted copper (No joke! Melted copper pieces - laff)

Snowflake obsidian

Tigers eye

I eventually plan on having a very large and extensive polished stone collection - mass quantities of which I can really leave all different kinds of stones - but those will have to do for now. I bundle each stone into a little mini-baggy and a print out explaining what kind of stone it is and a little bit of info on it.

Is that an acceptable thing for me to leave? I'll leave them even if I don't see anything I like - because I want other people to have something neat. =o)

I usually leave various polished minerals/stones since I live in a very urban area near Los Angeles and most caches don't have a lot of room

I think that's a great idea - I may have to steal it <_<

Seriously, I think polished stones (especially semi-precious ones such as the ones you've mentioned) are very cool things to find. I've left a polished sodalite at least once, but just by itself - I love the idea of a baggie with some info on the stone!

bunnylady =:3