The Perseids Meteor Shower Event

Criminal

The Perseids Meteor Shower Event will be on 11 - 12 August at Moonshine Flats in the Col Bob Wilderness. This year there will be almost no moon to foul up the night sky. I posted this event early so you have time to pick up some supplies for the hike and camp-out if you need to.

Do NOT be intimidated by the hike, you can take the whole day and most of the evening to do it.

Kids and pets welcome.

Edited by Criminal

The Pete's creek TH is at 1000' and Moonshine is at 3500', no small elevation gain but not the worst. Six years old might be pushing it. I took TroubleChild when he was 12 or 13 and he slept on the trail. He made it though, even with a rather heavy pack.

Like I mentioned, you have all day and some of the evening to get up there, rest as much as you want since you are spending the night up there. It doesn't get dark until after 10 pm, so there will even be time to nap before the show starts.

There is a great water supply rest stop about half way up before you break out of the woods. I think I saved my track log so will take a quick look see and point out the aproximate coordinates. It makes for a good spot to have lunch and rest those weary legs.

I'm going to try to be in on this one.

There have been a couple of questions about children and the difficulty of the Pete’s Creek Trail hike to Moonshine Flats for this event. This is what I posted on the event page:

I think there are a lot of people who are hesitant to attempt this hike, some for fear of not being able to complete the ascent, others with children who are untested on a hike of this length. I will try to be as accurate as I can.

This is a relatively strenuous hike. It’s 3 to 3½ miles from the Pete’s Creek trailhead to Moonshine Flats. Overall, that’s not really far when you consider that you have all day and a good bit of the evening to get there. If you arrived at the trailhead at 9am, you’d have 12 hours or more to reach the Flats. Then set up your camp, eat, and take a nap while you wait for the darkness that won’t come until at least 11pm. Set your alarm for 2am to see the light show.

The next morning you can elect to hike the remaining mile to the summit of Col Bob and the Salute to Col Bob geocache, an experience you won’t soon forget, or just hike back down.

Pete’s Creek Trail: The first 2 miles climb steadily through the forest, so you’re shaded for the majority of this part of the trail. Just before the intersection with the Col Bob Trail, you will switchback up what I like to call, “Heartbreak Hill”. This is the toughest part of the trail because it switchbacks up the exposed south facing hillside, and you’ll get pretty hot. Then you’ll reenter the forest and meet the Col Bob trail, after which you’ll come back out on the hillside again for another short round of switchbackage.

The trail will straighten out for a bit and soon you’ll meet a breathtaking view down Fletcher Canyon. From there it’s all level and only a few hundred yards to the Flats, and cool delicious water.

KIDS: Kids can do this hike. I don’t know the physical condition of your children so it’s tough to predict how well they will perform. You might consider taking them on a hike to two to give them a feel for how well they’d do. Very young children often have pretty short attention spans, so a long day on a boring old trail might not appeal to them as much as, say, the X-box. Again, it’s hard for me to guess how your kids will do. I would be reluctant to bring three or four year olds up here, like I said, it’s all uphill the first day.

The long and short of it is this; if you’re an adult in reasonably good physical condition and don’t suffer from any medical condition that makes it difficult for you to walk, you should be able to do this. It is a strenuous hike and you may feel some despair as you’re grunting up the mountain under a heavy pack. Nevertheless, it’s an unforgettable journey along one of Washington’s most beautiful forest trails, and you’ll feel ten feet tall for having done it.

There have been a couple of questions about children and the difficulty of the Pete’s Creek Trail hike to Moonshine Flats for this event. This is what I posted on the event page:

I think there are a lot of people who are hesitant to attempt this hike, some for fear of not being able to complete the ascent, others with children who are untested on a hike of this length. I will try to be as accurate as I can.

This is a relatively strenuous hike. It’s 3 to 3½ miles from the Pete’s Creek trailhead to Moonshine Flats. Overall, that’s not really far when you consider that you have all day and a good bit of the evening to get there. If you arrived at the trailhead at 9am, you’d have 12 hours or more to reach the Flats. Then set up your camp, eat, and take a nap while you wait for the darkness that won’t come until at least 11pm. Set your alarm for 2am to see the light show.

The next morning you can elect to hike the remaining mile to the summit of Col Bob and the Salute to Col Bob geocache, an experience you won’t soon forget, or just hike back down.

Pete’s Creek Trail: The first 2 miles climb steadily through the forest, so you’re shaded for the majority of this part of the trail. Just before the intersection with the Col Bob Trail, you will switchback up what I like to call, “Heartbreak Hill”. This is the toughest part of the trail because it switchbacks up the exposed south facing hillside, and you’ll get pretty hot. Then you’ll reenter the forest and meet the Col Bob trail, after which you’ll come back out on the hillside again for another short round of switchbackage.

The trail will straighten out for a bit and soon you’ll meet a breathtaking view down Fletcher Canyon. From there it’s all level and only a few hundred yards to the Flats, and cool delicious water.

KIDS: Kids can do this hike. I don’t know the physical condition of your children so it’s tough to predict how well they will perform. You might consider taking them on a hike to two to give them a feel for how well they’d do. Very young children often have pretty short attention spans, so a long day on a boring old trail might not appeal to them as much as, say, the X-box. Again, it’s hard for me to guess how your kids will do. I would be reluctant to bring three or four year olds up here, like I said, it’s all uphill the first day.

The long and short of it is this; if you’re an adult in reasonably good physical condition and don’t suffer from any medical condition that makes it difficult for you to walk, you should be able to do this. It is a strenuous hike and you may feel some despair as you’re grunting up the mountain under a heavy pack. Nevertheless, it’s an unforgettable journey along one of Washington’s most beautiful forest trails, and you’ll feel ten feet tall for having done it.

As a Parent, I appreciate the attention you have shown to this subject. It apparently is a question you are being asked. It definately is a hike that I want to take with my kids, all of us being inexperienced hikers. This is a great explanation as to what we can expect if we are able to go!

Bumping this back up. It looks like we've got ~10 interested or confirmed, so it's starting to look like a pretty good party. The more the merrier though, so block that weekend out on your calendars. I'm pretty sure one particular Whacko will be calling in sick to attend (if he knows what's good for him).

Bumping this back up. It looks like we've got ~10 interested or confirmed, so it's starting to look like a pretty good party. The more the merrier though, so block that weekend out on your calendars. I'm pretty sure one particular Whacko will be calling in sick to attend (if he knows what's good for him).

If I can get the wife to actually settle on a vacation time for east of the mountains, I might actually be able to make this.

If I can get the wife to actually settle on a vacation time for east of the mountains, I might actually be able to make this.

Without the wife?!

:(

Without the wife?!

:(

This kind of overnight is not her thing. If there isn't a hot shower and a real commode to sit on, she ain't goin'.

I seem to recall counting around a dozen camp sites in a central area. Most of them can handle one to two tents each and if need be, another can be squeezed in. Then there are some outlying camp locations outside of the central location so there should be plenty of space so far. Capacity for us also depends on others (not geocachers) using the same area for similar reasons.

My biggest caveat would be bug protection. So if you're going to be just in your sleeping bag, at least have a bug screen for it.

Edited by TotemLake

The event page has been averaging about 15 hits a day, more or less, since it was published. Suddenly yesterday it spiked to 96 and as of this time today has 38. I think it must have been mentioned somewhere but I can’t find it.

It’s shaping up to be a fun event; all we have to do is be able to stay awake for it.

Any gear help for this one I would be happy to help with. Everything from the packs and tents to anything else you think you might need. Working at an outdoor store definitely has its advantages as far as knowing the gear goes.

I am still planning on attending this event. It sound's like a fun one that I shouldn't miss out on.

Is this event inside the Col Bob Wilderness area? If so we could run afoul of the 12 heartbeats rule

The 12 heart beats rule falls under permit guidelines. If we all do not go up at the same time we get around that. The real problem is there is no other campsite within one mile to land at.

Hi... new to the backpacking camping (usually a car camper) are bear canisters or other storage devices needed in this part of the Olympics?

It is a wilderness and it is bear country. That being said, I think with this many people milling about, we're going to be frightening them off to a different location 2 peaks over. That being said, when SquareBear and I camped there, we were not hassled by any big or little critters.

TotemLake is right, with such a large party there won’t be a bear or cougar within 20 miles. I have never, and likely would never, use a bear can in the National Forests. Hang your food, garbage, and scented candles and you should be fine.

Well this is turning into to a Shop99erish event. I expect it will be crowded at Moonshine Flats, and we’re going to have to try to maximize the available campsites as much as possible. The trailhead will be packed as well; carpooling would be a good plan. I can take a couple in the Crown Vic, but be warned I get a little nutso on the FS roads.

I never expected such a turnout, but we’ll make it work!

Well this is turning into to a Shop99erish event.

I will assume this is a good thing, at least it is for us, again with the more the merrier!

I sure wish I would be able to make this one, but bad timing. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Congrats Criminal on hosting such an awesome and successful event!!

This guy sure had a bad time up there!

http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin/wtaweb.pl?...+display+time+o

Fresh from the Trail!

Jul 24, 2007 by Ye Olde Allyn Hiker

Colonel Bob #851

The Olympics | Link to this report

I Hiked up from the Lake Quinalt side on Tuesday and am sorry I did, They meant it when they said they trail is not maintained. There were about thirty wind-falls up to the shelter and some of them were not easy to get around. The trail above the junction with Pete's Creek had several over grown areas where it was virtually impossible to see the trail. To compound matters, it had rained for several days and I was soaked to the bones. Upon finally reaching the summit, the views were totally blocked by the clouds.

I took a very bad tumble on the way back down in one of the densely over grown areas and another while circumventing the last wind-fall before the trail head.

All in all, it was a hike from hell. I would not recommend this trail to anyone- even the most experienced hikers. The only views are near the summit and if it is cloudy like it was for me, it is NOT WORTH IT !!!!!!!!!

The only saving grace was the HUGE hemlocks and Doug firs which are a delight to see..........

This is a nearly 15 mile hike and about 4800 feet of elevation gain.

This guy sure had a bad time up there!

http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin/wtaweb.pl?...+display+time+o

Fresh from the Trail!

Jul 24, 2007 by Ye Olde Allyn Hiker

Colonel Bob #851

The Olympics | Link to this report

I Hiked up from the Lake Quinalt side on Tuesday and am sorry I did, They meant it when they said they trail is not maintained. There were about thirty wind-falls up to the shelter and some of them were not easy to get around. The trail above the junction with Pete's Creek had several over grown areas where it was virtually impossible to see the trail. To compound matters, it had rained for several days and I was soaked to the bones. Upon finally reaching the summit, the views were totally blocked by the clouds.

I took a very bad tumble on the way back down in one of the densely over grown areas and another while circumventing the last wind-fall before the trail head.

All in all, it was a hike from hell. I would not recommend this trail to anyone- even the most experienced hikers. The only views are near the summit and if it is cloudy like it was for me, it is NOT WORTH IT !!!!!!!!!

The only saving grace was the HUGE hemlocks and Doug firs which are a delight to see..........

This is a nearly 15 mile hike and about 4800 feet of elevation gain.

That's bad news for anybody wanting to go up from Quinalt Lake.

Fortunately, Pete's Creek trail is maintained. There are trees over the trail on part of Upper Pete's Creek trail but according to the Ranger I just spoke with, it is passable for hikers. That also matches the reports you will find here.

Also, it is anticipated to be a bit crowded, so be ready to lend a cup of patience as folks come in.

Bumping this up to remind folks to use Pete's Creek trail to make the short hike to Moonshine Flats. Pay no attention to the bridge out notice. This trailhead information hasn't been updated in years and the bridge is perfectly good shape.

Pete's Creek trail is about 2.4 miles and the trail to Moonshine Flats is about 1 mile. There is a great water stop just under 2 miles in with a nice inviting pull off. You should be able to hear the water from the trail but just in case, I'll have a sign posted at the location Saturday morning.

Pack light. When I did this, I was not a strong hiker, overweight by 40 lbs and carried an over heavy backpack. I'm now overweight by 60 lbs. :anitongue:

Hiking the junction trail to Moonshine will have you in the sun most of the way. Be sure to have your sunblock at the ready and bring snacks or juices along that will help replenish your electrolytes and energy.

Most of you will probably get half way up this part and be ready to turn back. Trust me when I say I know the feeling. The trick to this part of the trail is to not feel bad about taking many breaks and keep track of your water usage. Don't conserve too much, but don't be stingy either. There is a cold stream at the flats for refilling. It's less than a mile on that mountain face. I rested at each switch back and in between.

We will be on FRS 2 and HAM 146.520.

Saturday night is shaping up to look like a really good viewing night!

Here's to seeing you folks up there! thumbsup.gif

Edited by TotemLake

So, I'm a little torn between "It seems absurd to drive all the way out there solo" and "My mom always taught me not to take rides from strangers." I'm not sure which way I'll fall with that. I don't really know any of you at this point, sadly. FWIW, I'm coming from North Seattle. I'd at least like some company on the trails.

As a point of clarification, are we hiking 858 and turning onto 851 or do we continue on 858 to go to moonshine flats? I'm getting a little confused looking at the maps and lists.

So, I'm a little torn between "It seems absurd to drive all the way out there solo" and "My mom always taught me not to take rides from strangers." I'm not sure which way I'll fall with that. I don't really know any of you at this point, sadly. FWIW, I'm coming from North Seattle. I'd at least like some company on the trails.

As a point of clarification, are we hiking 858 and turning onto 851 or do we continue on 858 to go to moonshine flats? I'm getting a little confused looking at the maps and lists.

The trail is well signed at the junction point. To spell it out. You will take 858 and hang a right on 851.

There are a couple of spurs that end up to nowhere. The first one I remember happens early and will take you alongside the creek (might be dry) to a log crossing over the creek while the trail actually crosses over the creek bed. I guess you can take either route there as it was probably meant to get you over a raging creek. The 2nd spur is a tree that fell over the trail and was sectioned to allow easy access past it, but it is easy to turn right up the hill to follow the spur when you should have followed the tree downhill to the trail. The water stop isn't too far from that point. I just can't tell you where by way of coordinates. If you don't have it, buy a good USGS map from REI or Joe's Sports from one of those software kiosks and make sure you take a compass.

That being said, that was last year before the storms. Pay attention to the contours of your map and where you are if you get confused. Use your compass and put in waypoints in your GPS where you have doubts.

I have a full jeep otherwise would invite you along.

Edited by TotemLake

No rides from strangers, but you'll follow them into the woods?????????? :lol::anitongue:

I still have room in the Land Rover if you're interested. I'm planning on leaving Federal Way around 0700 and stopping in Ocean Shores to pick up my nephew.

I don't really know any of you at this point, sadly. FWIW, I'm coming from North Seattle. I'd at least like some company on the trails.

Well shoot kelita, you just found my Dumb Luck Detour cache - so... you leastwise know a little somethin' about me. :rolleyes:

I'd like to drive, but would love some company (not to mention a bit daunted by all the talk of spurs, FRS' 'n downed trees, etc.), so... might be fun to get lost together. :lol: I may have a chum along but won't know for sure for a day or two. Like the Rover, I plan to set out about 7 am from Left Seattle (with a quick stop in Olympia to snag a "Moon Tree.")