Online geocaching game

Ble68

This is something that I am really excited about. I just thought of something awesome. What do you guys think about a website game for geocaching. If you need to get an idea about what I am talking about go on club penguin. I know geocaching is a way to be active but sometimes we can't go or are busy. In this game we could create a town, you have to make a person, and earn caching points. At the store you can buy a gps and caches to hind in the town. I think it would be a lot of fun! You can also find caches people hid on there. You would also be able to chat with others about caching. These won't count for real finds but I think it would be something cool to play online when you are bored!! Only people with geocaching accounts will be allowed on the website.What do you think? I also would need some help setting up a website and managing it. PLEASE LEAVE SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!

Edited by Ble68

This has come up before, in the context of the "Second Life" website, as well as in various online simulations of geocaching.

In one thread, someone far wiser than I observed that the point of geocaching is to get you outdoors, not to simulate the outdoors.

And with the cache featured in a virtual simulation, we learned that hundreds upon hundreds of people had no problem logging a "find" on a traditional cache in Sweden, from the comfort of their armchairs.

I'd rather find some wet tupperware and rusty altoids tins. :)

I would bet this could be a big thing with many geocachers who seem to live in a virtual world anyway, with their virtual dropoff and pickup of coins that never leave their safe collection at home, as well as the virtual "finding" of coins viewed at events. I agree with a previous poster about geocaching being about getting out for the adventure--but definitely see a market here for those desiring an opportunity to claim king of the hill from their comfy armchair. It's not for me, but good luck with that. :)

Oh yeah, and that big text was rediculous to read.

Edited by Treasure Pirate

Personally, I think you have the basis for a good idea.

You might want to expand your idea to work into the PC or video gaming market, with a portion of the game that would work for online and interactive players (like so many other successful PC or video games).

There are tons of PC and video games out there for a huge variety of game types, and given the growing popularity of geocaching, it's only a matter of time until someone puts out a geocaching video game of some sort.

Yes, the whole point of geocaching is to go out there and find geocaches. But there are lots of very popular video games for various sports, car racing, shoot-em-up, and adventures.

Does this mean we can't have fun unless we actually go out and play the sport, drive a car, shoot up some targets, or go on a real adventure (think geocaching!)?

Not at all. There are some individuals that are handicapped and can only get out on a limited basis.

And some geocachers might be interested in playing after dark (once they have found all the local night caches of course!).

Also, since everyone who can geocache has to have both a GPS and computer access, I believe many of these individuals would be interested in a computer or video game about geocaching.

After all, every geocacher starts as a techno-junkie who has an interest in games.

But it won't be everone's cup of tea.

However, I stronly believe that whatever happens in the virtual world should stay in the virtual world, with no connection to actual physical geocaches.

Just MHO.

Best of luck!

I think it would, unfortunately, be a hit.

If it's done right sales may even top the newest WatchingPaintDryIV video.

I think you would have to spice things up a bit, as I don't know of any popular video game that doesn't include mass murder, lots 'o indiscriminate violence, unlimited reincarnation and guns that shoot forever without reloading.

So you could have your virtual geocacher armed with a plethora of weapons, have him race his monster truck deep into the forest, shooting or running over any muggles and wildlife that get in the way, to a set of coordinates where he can pick up an atomic bomb, with which to nuke Seattle and the headquarters of that pesky company that thinks geocaching should be done outdoors, of all places. In the woods. Where spiders live. And snakes. And you might sweat. Hell yeah, blow them up quick before this whole outdoors idea catches on!!

If you get that done without dying more than 35 times (muggles shoot back) that will give you superpowers and a fantastic arsenal... there's no telling what you might accomplish from the comfort of your chair.

You could even compete with other lame-ohs, er, players, online! Get enough points ahead and you can assign them a Garmin so they can't find the weapons caches!

Thank you, no.

And, most of us handicapped folks do pretty darn well out there, we don't need silly video games to simulate the fun we'd have if we just went geocaching!

I think it's a mildly good idea until you look at the intensely enormous amount of effort, programming skills and money that would need to be available to create a game like this. It would be crazy. I can see the only real way of getting a game like this off the ground is if some big gaming company decided they wanted to make a new puzzle game, and they decided to base it on geocaching for some reason. Unfortunately this is so unlikely when they can make a World of Warcraft expansion pack and know it will be a success among millions of people.

Sorry, I think it would be cool but it's just not too feasible, and your writing was unnecessarily big.

Edited by JezzzaXtreme

Good ideas go for it Ble68. I like the idea that its along the lines of "club penguin" rather than "Habboisc" or runescapesque style games! I know of at least one person who'll sign up! As a parent I don't encourage my young people to "buy" virtual goodies so an entry level of £0 would be great maybe get sponsership from "clubpenguin" but may be worth if you can registering your ideas first as a "patent" (if you can patent "webgames" or getting some sort of copyright drawn up!)

Good Luck

minxyy

ps I'm definately an outdoor sort of gal but this week have been laid up with a chest infection so have welcomed any form of entertainment!

you could have a look at theselinks for "letterboxing" games that are simple starters!!

Peat Bank at

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/peatbank/index.htm

Dizzy's Letterboxing game

http://www.letterboxstamper.co.uk/fun/webb...rboxingfun.html

Edited by minxyy

Hey, don't be dicouraged! It's a interesting idea, I'd play it on a bum day when I could'nt go geocaching for reason. Maybe you could start with a palm os game and get bigger from there. (make that palm os 3.5 greyscale compatible so I could play it ;) ) And please don't listen to The Alabama Rambler you don't have to spice geocaching up.

This has come up before, in the context of the "Second Life" website, as well as in various online simulations of geocaching.

In one thread, someone far wiser than I observed that the point of geocaching is to get you outdoors, not to simulate the outdoors.

And with the cache featured in a virtual simulation, we learned that hundreds upon hundreds of people had no problem logging a "find" on a traditional cache in Sweden, from the comfort of their armchairs.

I'd rather find some wet tupperware and rusty altoids tins. ;)

Very well put! I agree with each of these points very much! Thank you for stating this so eloquently! Besides, all the world really needs is another fantasy game! sigh!

Oh, and regarding the original post, my question to or about the OP would be: what was with the biazrrely large font? Were you trying to shout at us?

Lastly, as other posters have stated, I feel that whatever happens in the fantasy virtual world should stay in the virtual world and should not affect real-life caches nor it result in find logs on such real-world caches.

P.S. Lep, thanks for the mention of the hilarious tale of logs on the traditional cache in Switzerland -- I had not heard of this strange episode before, and when I took a look at the cache listing page this afternoon, I almost laughed myself to death! Amazing what some people will do!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

ummmmm, sounds ...good....I ......Guess. But for me personally, I work 12 hour shifts for my regular job, and I volunteer on my days off at my job in a diffrent department, and that takes up 99% of my time, but even if it means one or two caches I will make time, I need the exercise and the mental stimulation.....

My first reaction was negative, but then I figured, if we can simulate caching via a card game, why not a computer game? But it should be very unrealistic and cartoonish, a caricature of real caching (much like the card game), with ridiculous obstacles and scenery. An action/puzzle game rather than a sim-type game.

Edit: I re-read that and realized it sounds very sarcastic, but I'm actually serious.

Edited by Dinoprophet

If the virtual game gave out "smileys" that added to your count here on gc.com, I can assure you that it would be a massive hit! ;)

I admit that I play online now and then, but for me personally, geocaching is a break from that and I'll stick to the outside world for it.

i love the idea espically if the caches you did find in the real world give you rewards or contest entrys or something...but i do not know how to make a video game nor do i have the money...therefore without someone who has a real passion for it, it will always just be a idea

I've always wanted to get into Second Life, to learn how to use it so I can particpate on days when going outside is really not an option. To me, virtual geocaching will hopefully offer me the same benefits that the "Real" geocaching offers. That being the opportunity to visit new places which I would not have otherwise visited.

I definately see geocaching as a means towards an end. In real life, that end is getting outside so I can do some hiking. In the "virtual world" - such as Second Life - that end is becoming familiar with how to navigate through the online world. After all .. have destination ... will travel!! :unsure:

I am hoping everyone everywhere becomes virtual and then I'll have the whole world to myself.

Dude, that will never happen because no one's gonna let you rule the real world. :unsure::huh:

B):anibad:

I don't need to rule it, just explore it without other people getting in my way :blink: Besides, with everyone all matrixed into their computers, who's gonna stop me? :D

I don't need to rule it, just explore it without other people getting in my way :anibad: Besides, with everyone all matrixed into their computers, who's gonna stop me? :unsure:

But, if you're not online ... then how are you replying to this forum? :huh:

The great matrixing hasn't happened yet :blink:

I think it's a mildly good idea until you look at the intensely enormous amount of effort, programming skills and money that would need to be available to create a game like this. It would be crazy. I can see the only real way of getting a game like this off the ground is if some big gaming company decided they wanted to make a new puzzle game, and they decided to base it on geocaching for some reason. Unfortunately this is so unlikely when they can make a World of Warcraft expansion pack and know it will be a success among millions of people.

While your idea sounds interesting, and while I probably would try it at least to see what it was all about, JezzaXtreme has a good point. Namely, how could it be easily and cheaply made to look better than the old games that used to run on 286 based PC's with a 4-color CGA monitor?

It's a good idea, but i'd have to disagree. As "The Leprechauns" say, "I'd rather find some wet tupperware and rusty altoids tins." The point of Geocaching is to get out into nature. That's what sets us apart from everyone else. At my High School, I am one of a dying breed, nature lovers. Many kids don't know what the world is like beyond the couch and T.V. in their living room. As far as I know I am the only Cacher at my school. I have gotten a few of my friends interested, but mostly they just tag along with me when I go Caching. Sitting in front of your computer playing a game is not what Geocaching is about. Geocaching is about hiking three miles into the woods, through water, mud, and overgrown trails to some amazing spot with a breathtaking view, then hiking three miles back out of the woods, with the satisfaction of a found Cache. By creating an online game, you would be making Geocaching just another MMORPG. No offense, but I love this sport for what what it is, I don't think Geocaching should be an online game.

Happy Hunting,

ethanbl

This is something that I am really excited about. I just thought of something awesome. What do you guys think about a website game for geocaching. If you need to get an idea about what I am talking about go on club penguin. I know geocaching is a way to be active but sometimes we can't go or are busy. In this game we could create a town, you have to make a person, and earn caching points. At the store you can buy a gps and caches to hind in the town. I think it would be a lot of fun! You can also find caches people hid on there. You would also be able to chat with others about caching. These won't count for real finds but I think it would be something cool to play online when you are bored!! Only people with geocaching accounts will be allowed on the website.What do you think? I also would need some help setting up a website and managing it. PLEASE LEAVE SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!

If I have time to do that I can go,outside and get some.

Edited by Walts Hunting

Such a dumb idea, unless...

You set it up on your own website, you create it, hide x geocaches in your game. Find all the geocaches and it gives you the coordinates to the geocache in real life. You list it on Geocaching.com as a mystery/unknown cache.

It would be sure to garner many favorite points.