? on gps please help

HI all I am trying to start up with geocaching with my boys. I have a chance to get a garmin etrex vista for 136.00 which includes shipping I want to know if that is a good price? also is it a good unit for start up?

The description below I copied. I would appreciate any and all help right away. Thank you :laughing:

This GPS is brand new. I do not have a the box that it came in. It has been used very sparingly. It has the maps of the US and Iraq and Afgahnistan already downloaded!! Great for camping and hunting.It was given to me without the box or paperwork and I was able to figure it out without directions.

Thanks,

Bonnie

It does not have maps of the US, Iraq, and Afghanistan loaded. It won't hold anywhere close to that. The manual for it is available for download from the Garmin website. It should work fine for geocaching.

Ok if it doesnt have the maps like auction states is it worth the 136 dollars or should I keep looking.

thanks,

Bonnie

The Garmin Vista is the one I started caching with. It worked very well for caching. Since that model has been around for a while, I don't know what the going price is now, however, I think you could probably pick up a Legend C on eBay for $150.00. That model is discontinued, but it is newer technology, color, and has the ability to auto-route you, should you purchase the maps later.

It does not have maps of the US, Iraq, and Afghanistan loaded. It won't hold anywhere close to that. The manual for it is available for download from the Garmin website. It should work fine for geocaching.

Depends on which maps they mean. The Combined US/Iraqi/Afghani portions of the worldmap fits with lots of room to spare in the Vista's 24MB. Not claiming it's real useful, but it does fit.

To the OP: I'd make sure it comes with the cable or you'll end up buying one off eBay, or buying the official $$$ garmin one for $20 or whatever.