A reminder to be extra careful.

Big JohnP

Just a little heads-up for the folks on the forum. A lot of folks receive PayPal notices for coins that we buy and we sorta get used to seeing these in our e-mails.

Today, I received an e-mail notification that someone had accessed my PayPal account and that they needed to check my account. :) There was a link added and it looked exactly like the log-in link for Paypal.

They then add a line saying if I choose not to respond, I give them no choice but to suspend my account temporarily as it takes 72 hrs to investigate.

As I read to the end of the note, it says "Please do not reply to this e-mail, the mailbox is not monitored and I will not receive a response. :laughing:

All this added to the fact that the Paypal addy at the top was suspicious looking and my name was not mentioned anywhere kind of lit up all my warning lights. Sure enough, it was a phishing e-mail. :)

So I just thought of reminding everyone to be extra careful and check your real PayPal account before clicking on any links. It could save you a lot of pain. :)

Every so often I get the ones saying "Please respond if you purchased this item" or something similar. It is usually for a Dell Laptop or Rolex Watch.

I know they are fake but for kicks one day I clicked on one. I'll give credit to AOL it pops up right away blocking that site with a big message saying it is a phishing site.

Had this happen to me, too. I was also suspicious when my name wasn't anywhere to be seen. I reported it to PayPal and they confirmed it was a phishing scam.

My paypal email address is totally unrelated to any other email address I use. So unless the message from paypal goes to that account, I know they're phishing.... even then, I type the url and access my account to verify all activity.

the best thing to do is no matter what its for. paypal, ebay, your bank. NEVER EVERY click the email link. goto the site directly if you need to verify it for yourself.

i usually forward the mails to spoof@paypal.com or abuse@paypal.com whichever i forget at the moment and delete them.

I have been getting those emails for years, most of them are really easy to tell that they are fake. I did get one the other day from US Bank telling me that they needed to investigate my acct. I knew it was a fake only because I dont have a US Bank acct. but it was a really well put together email one of the best I have seen I am sure there were a few identifies stolen with that email. I just follow the golden rule I never use the link in email for anything like that if your bank wants some more info (never had them ask) but if they did you can just log into your account and they will have an alert on the page that way you know its real.