TB in Virtual Cache?

VKsnr

I am a newbie at this, and thought this looked weird. Someone left a TB at a virtual cache site. The virtual is for looking at some pictographs, and the cacher stopping there left the TB close by:

"Great stop with a lot of our early history involved. Made the mistake of taking the dirt road north of the cache and coming over the mountain. It was still a magnificient climb with the mule deer visible in the canyon below. Left TB "abcdef" at xx xx.xxx N x yyy yy.yyy W b/w a rock and hard place eye to eye."

Is this against the rules? Common sense? Seems strange to leave TB someplace like that. I changed the TB name and location info 'cuz I am not sure about posting that in the forum.

VKsnr

It's ok to mention the bug, just don't post the tracking number. On the bug page it will say something like Use TBM2FM to reference this item. That info is okay to post.

So they left the bug hidden under a rock nearby? I've seen it before but it's not a good idea.

Any chance of going out and getting it?

It's ok to mention the bug, just don't post the tracking number. On the bug page it will say something like Use TBM2FM to reference this item. That info is okay to post.

So they left the bug hidden under a rock nearby? I've seen it before but it's not a good idea.

Any chance of going out and getting it?

Thanks for the info about posting details.

Well, as it happens, we are planning on going out this weekend for hiking/caching. I already felt the need to rescue it, so I will try to include it on our way. (Kinda depends on what the Minister of Travel has in mind for the trip)

VKsnr

I've not seen one actually LEFT at the virtual location, that seems like a very, very bad practice (especially with somebody else's TB). But twice I've seen travel bugs "placed" in virtual caches.

In the first instance, a travel bug itself was a "virtual" bug and didn't ever actually visit the location of the caches - people would just give out the TB's number over the internet and then one could log it into any virtual cache one liked (its goal was to "visit" virtual caches). I don't think this is allowed anymore.

In the next instance, a travel bug was "placed" in one of my virtual caches when a cacher actually visited the location with the TB, took some photos of it, and then online logged the bug as "placed" in my cache (but they didn't actually leave it at the virtual, just logged it in to get the miles).

However, the cacher then forgot to "grab" the bug back from my virtual, and for about 1 week it looked like there actually was a TB at my virtual's location. After a few emails back and forth with the cacher, they explained the situation and "grabbed" it back from my virtual, and all was well once I understood what was going on!

Slightly off the topic, somebody once "placed" one of my TBs at one of their newly hidden cache as incentive for others to run out and find. My TB was a Jeep hotwheels car, and the cache was a micro (film canister). Now, I know for a fact that a hotwheels will NOT fit in a film can. So, I guess my TB sat on the ground or wedged in a tree or something, until somebody found and took it.

There's one on the other side of the state from me that's been there a while. I've posted a note on the cache page and in my local forum, but I haven't seen anyone go out for it.

8/20/2005

Grabbed this to move along the L&C Trail.

Moved it over to the Missouri Overlook Virtual Cache across the river in Iowa. Since this is a virtual cache, I had to place this TB cache nearby. The new coords for this TB cache are:

N 41 18.221

W 95 51.475

It is just a little north of the L&C monument, and down a little hill off the parking lot near a trail that winds thru the woods.