Any interest? Dusk 'til Dawn cache event (vampire dress optional!)

Having had a grand adventure with three friends walking 20Km in the middle of the night to find 11 caches back in March, I'd been thinking about organising a 'through the night' event. Starting as the sun sets, having had a fortifying meal (or drink) at a pub, we'd do a circular tour of local caches on foot, by torchlight, and be back at the pub for when it opens for a big slap-up breakfast. Or very early drink!

Would anyone be interested in such an event, to be held in Oxon, Beds, Northants or Herts around the end of June/start of July. Maximum daylight means minimum darkness and the best chance of staying warm. There's even a full moon on Saturday the 30th - Sunday 1st for the full effect. :laughing:

Hi Paul,

The full moon at the end of June is actually the Blue moon.

Which I am sure you all know means the second moon of the month. This is where the phrase once in a blue moon comes from.

Just a bit of factoids for you all.

I might be interested in your event, although theres so many.

Yorkypudding xxx

Edited by yorkypudding

I'm up for it. Coincidentially, I was just talking to ladysolly today about a similar idea (she won't be attending, and she discouraged me from a 24 hour event).

If Fraggle insists, I could swap the Chas 'n' Dave for some turn-of-the-century pops.

"By the light .... of the silvery moon ..."

I'd suggest that planning starts soon.

July 28-29 is possible too, if the (almost) full moon is a bonus. Otherwise any Saturday night in the month would suit me. Finding an area not yet cached by Pharisee in my target counties might not be so easy to select though.

Edit - maybe mid month would be better as there's this one The Allotment Bash (Northampton) by The Allotment Gardener & Cabbage Patch Doll on the 29th of July.

Edited by Simply Paul

July 28-29 is possible too, if the (almost) full moon is a bonus. Otherwise any Saturday night in the month would suit me. Finding an area not yet cached by Pharisee in my target counties might not be so easy to select though.

Edit - maybe mid month would be better as there's this one The Allotment Bash (Northampton) by The Allotment Gardener & Cabbage Patch Doll on the 29th of July.

I'll be in it for the walk... any cache I find will be a bonus :)

drsolly made the following suggestions by email:

"The densest clutch of caches is, of course, central London."

-Which I dare say is half-closed and not great fun at night - if what passes for night in London can be called night. I'd like to be able to see the stars. Anyway, I imagine a lot of people would have already done most/many.

"Out in the country, there's a good run along the Cherwell, near Oxford..."

- I don't know this area but it's a maybe. Anyone else know this patch?

"...and the Oxford Canal but that's not circular. That would need the Motor Manoeuvre [leave cars at both ends]. It's 10 km or so, which we know id do-able, and that's no distance for the car manoeuvre."

- I've already done most of these, and I'd like something with less faffing about with cars. Still, a good run on a bike for anyone short of an Easter caching trip idea. :)

"There's a good bunch just to the NW of Sandy Beds, with a chance to do a circular walk."

- Could be a good one - any thoughts?

"Frimley/Hawley is another possibility"

- Again, I don't know the area, but if anyone has an opinion, or a suggestion of their own, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks to drsolly for his useful imput.

Sandy, Beds - draft suggestion.

There's a pub at 52 08.886, 0 18.873, that might be a place to gather at the start, and as the finishing place. There's a bit of residential round there, so there's likely to be handy parking. I haven't checked out the pub. There's a couple of other pubs near the route

Then:

GCZD1R

GCZD0R

GCYW9H

GCYW6T

GCYYXN

GCZD6M

GCZJH7

GCZD95

GCZDBC

GCZJHM

GCZJHT

GCZJJ5

GCZJKN

GCZJMR

GC11VCT

And that leaves a 2.4 km walk back to the pub along a yellow road.

The whole thing is about 9.2 kilometers, 15 caches, and they all look to be easy ones. The track is going to be mostly buggy-friendly - not that I'd suggest keeping kids up all night, but it means it's also friendly to sleepy and exhausted cachers stumbling along half-dead. And the last 2.4 km is along that yellow road, so a very easy surface to walk on.

People wanting to reduce it slightly, could cut out GCZJH7, because that's a 400 meter leg off the route. People wanting to avoid the last 2.4 kilometer trek, could arrange a car manouver.

For people who feel that this isn't enough - there's a small cluster nearby that I could plan out as an additional route.

Very interested. Will need a bit of logistic juggling - the proposed location is a 3 hr drive for us so will probably involve staying overnight somewhere (camping) - we will also need to cadge a favour from a kind hearted relative (Mother/Mother-in-law) to stop our children from eating the house while we're away.

The other key piece of info is the date, as already pointed out elsewhere many of us will have commited to various other events throughout the summer.

Sounds like a great idea though - looking forward to it already.

I think we need some more caches as currykev quite rightly points out. I wonder if the local cachers can be contacted to hide some more for our event. :unsure:

You're in luck :blink:

The caches are my daughters' series and we (The Dancing Samurais) are planning to add a river series onto hers which should join together 'A1 Sandy' cache by TheSocks (GCTKJF) and 'London Bridge is Falling Down' cache by ~*Tinkerbell*~ (GCZJH7) and maybe a few either side. We are at the gathering lunchboxes, log books stage and the series will be up and running and past any teething problems by the time you are there.

Any queries just PEM me or Dan. Tinkerbell will be thrilled when I tell her in the morning that you are looking at her caches and I am sure she will want to join you on her scooter or her bicycle which she uses when we go out to maintain the caches.

;)

Sandy area has some excellent caches, including some cunning Pharisee ones :D . Yup, still up for it. Get those head torches at the ready :wub:

Hi AliceBand :wub:

Are you going to bring Ravenclaws with you? You know that Tinkerbell would never forgive you if you don't!! If you do he can come back early with me and Tinkerbell and have a sleep over as Ive told Tinkerbell she can join in the fun for a little while but she will have to come home to bed. I think Dan is up for the full night though and will be dressing up for the event :wub:

Sounds like this snowball has gathered some momentum. I've also been looking at the Windsor area, but Sandy seems to have caught folk's imagination and, with the promise of some extra caches being set, it's the patch I'm focused on. I'll have a look at a googlemap and try to create a route. Stay tuned! :huh:

Having had a grand adventure with three friends walking 20Km in the middle of the night to find 11 caches back in March, I'd been thinking about organising a 'through the night' event. Starting as the sun sets, having had a fortifying meal (or drink) at a pub, we'd do a circular tour of local caches on foot, by torchlight, and be back at the pub for when it opens for a big slap-up breakfast. Or very early drink!

Would anyone be interested in such an event, to be held in Oxon, Beds, Northants or Herts around the end of June/start of July. Maximum daylight means minimum darkness and the best chance of staying warm. There's even a full moon on Saturday the 30th - Sunday 1st for the full effect. :laughing:

I'd definitely be up for that barring work or personal commitments. Sounds like loads of fun. We could even compare pre/post smoking ban in the pub :unsure:.

Better start shopping for head torches :anicute:

Philip

91e1458b-a3f7-4ffb-8a9e-878cb8d13033.jpg

These dual clusters of caches within walking distance have inspired me to bring this thread back from the dead. I'm still thinking of the summer, so locals might want to hold off hitting these babies for a while :smile::D

I'm looking for somewhere between them that'd be open for drinks beforehand, and breakfast the following morning. It'd run Friday>Saturday to give attendees the chance to recover on Saturday/Sunday before getting back to the working week. Feedback both sought and appreciated.

Edited for syntax, don'tcha-know.

Edited by Simply Paul

hmm if only you had emailed sooner Paul. We did the left cluster on wednesday night and it took 3 hours, we weren't rushing. I think Metal-Bijou can fill you in on local pubs, he seemed to be talking alot about pubs enroute.

We're supposed to be taking our a pose on Tuesday evening this week to do cluster 2 on the right, weather and 'night pass' depending. :smile:

Aiii

I know some locals have already done the left set, which is why I'd like the start/finish location to be between them. That way people could drop out after doing the right ones if they wanted to. I'm never going to find a totally virgin set of enough caches for a full night's caching, but this looks like my best bet- especially for people outside the area who wouldn't have done either cluster. Maybe hold off your plans? Try MK instead. Lots of new ones around there :drama:

I have heard that the OTMOOR RING consisting of 28 caches in an eleven mile circle is a brilliant experience, it's situated just NE of Oxford GC18AG6. Cannot put the google page here as do not know how to do it. Some nice inns in it's vicinity as well. Just an idea! :drama::drama:

It's certainly an unforgettable experience. All good fun (if you have webbed feet) and those who have not done it yet should their manhoods personhoods cheap (to bowdlerise Henry V) ....