The Lyke Wake Walk

Right.

Looking to revive this thread and to get an event up and running for next summer.

This has been done before (GC1FA91). This is archived but can still be viewed.

GC1FA91 was done in November. Now I reckon that is hardcore. A summer event gives the best weather conditions (yeah right!) and the longest hours of light.

The walk should take about 15 hours but caching along the way will add time (but probably has to be done). Common wisdom says start in the west and walk east to keep the prevailing wind at your back.

I am thinking June 2012. Which gives ME plenty of time to rehears my excuses, er, I mean train.

Advice / encouragement / tips gratefully received here.

PP

Right.

Looking to revive this thread and to get an event up and running for next summer.

This has been done before (GC1FA91). This is archived but can still be viewed.

GC1FA91 was done in November. Now I reckon that is hardcore. A summer event gives the best weather conditions (yeah right!) and the longest hours of light.

The walk should take about 15 hours but caching along the way will add time (but probably has to be done). Common wisdom says start in the west and walk east to keep the prevailing wind at your back.

I am thinking June 2012. Which gives ME plenty of time to rehears my excuses, er, I mean train.

Advice / encouragement / tips gratefully received here.

PP

Oooo I might be up for this :D

Already got the badge with a time of 10H45Mins walking with pack.

I was younger then though :blink:

It's a right old treck to be sure.

Date not settled but at that time of year it is bound to clash with other events somewhere along the line.

Since this is a '24 hour' event that is likely to commit participants to rather more than 24 hours including travel and recovery, would there be support for it to happen mid-week? Perhaps to follow or precede the Masham event? Is it a consideration for anybody?

PP

Mistress of Misery, Helen in Mustardland has expressed an interest providing dates work out.

She also suggested a crossing to coincide with the annual wake and I quote "if you walk[then], you get loads of pints bought you!". Sounds like a good enough reason to me ;-)

For the avoidance of doubt the "New" club website is here: http://www.lykewake.org

Here's the tracklog and some pics from GC1FA91: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=72031. It was "quite moist"!

I'm definitely up for a crossing next spring/summer to count towards my Doctor of Dolefulness, please keep me posted (I don't come in here too often at the moment). I don't know if the dates work out but the Wake (piss up and piss take, with much singing of the Lyke Wake Dirge,and everyone in mourning dress or witches robes, wishing each other condolences rather than congratulations) will very likely be 12th May, and if it's the same as previous years there will be free camping at Lord Stones Cafe(basic - loo at the cafe, no showers) overnight that night, which we could take advantage of. (Edited - 12th not 5th May)

Edited by Helen in Mustardland