Advice on a a GPSr for a Car

I'm new to GPS's...bought a Garmin 60CSx not long ago and my wife and I started doing this Geocache stuff and starting to get the hang of it and enjoy it. My Question....I'd like to get her a GPSr for her car. I'm looking at the Garmin Streetpilot 2720 (figured I could use the maps that come with hers and load them into my 60CSx as well. But I know nothing about the GPSr units for cars.

(I might add that I didn't have a clue which GPSr to buy for myself so I read MANY posts you all gave others on this forum...based on that, I bought the 60CSx and am Very Happy !!! Not that I have anything against the other GPSr out there..but for Me, I'm very please....and THANK YOU ALL !!!)

Since you all gave others advice on portable GPSr, I was hoping you might have suggestions on larger models (with voice) for cars. Is the Garmin Streetpilot 2720 a decent unit or should I look at others?

Any advice would be appreciated!

I'm new to GPS's...bought a Garmin 60CSx not long ago and my wife and I started doing this Geocache stuff and starting to get the hang of it and enjoy it. My Question....I'd like to get her a GPSr for her car. I'm looking at the Garmin Streetpilot 2720 (figured I could use the maps that come with hers and load them into my 60CSx as well. But I know nothing about the GPSr units for cars.

Don't assume that you can use the maps in your 60CSx - check first if that is an important consideration...

I don't own a Streetpilot, but I've read that some of the Garmin automotive units do not come with the necessary installation media to use the maps on other machines.

Martin

Don't assume that you can use the maps in your 60CSx - check first if that is an important consideration...

I don't own a Streetpilot, but I've read that some of the Garmin automotive units do not come with the necessary installation media to use the maps on other machines.

Martin

Ouch....Good Catch!!

I just read the Review in the previous reply and it apparently has CityNavigator NT. Sounds like the older model didn't have the DVD, wereas the newer model does...possibly. I was hoping it would have the NON-NT DVD. But you DO bring up a very good point! I think I'll look at the Garmin NUVI's too. Maybe even call Garmin and ask them personally.

One thing I did notice that seemed odd...the SP2720 doesn't run off internal battery, so to connect to a PC, I'd need to hook it up to my power supply (I built an adjustable one that goes from 1.2 volts to 36 volts DC)....unless their USB powers the SP2720, but it draws 1 amp and I wouldn't think a USB would handle that much current...but not sure.

At any rate, Thanks for the advice....Things I didn't consider much.

Edited by dschoen0

I own a Garmin nuvi 350 and I am completely happy with it. The voice directions are great and the maps are on-the-money, for the most part. It comes loaded with Points of Interest that feature the address and phone number (good to have if you want to call ahead to someplace). I know my way around town pretty well, so I didn't think I would need one of these, but I am really glad I own it.

Have fun with whatever you choose.

Marty

I have a Garmin Quest that I use primarily in the car but also for caching and other off road uses and I have been very happy with it. It comes with CitySelect map coverage for the US and Canada and a free upgrade to the current version. A second unlock code is included so you would definitely be able to load the maps into your 60. The price is very low, and although it lacks some of the newest car navigation features such as touch screen, voice synthesis, and look down view, it does everything one really needs in an auto GPSr. It remains the only suitable dual use model on the market.

I have a Garmin Quest that I use primarily in the car but also for caching and other off road uses and I have been very happy with it. It comes with CitySelect map coverage for the US and Canada and a free upgrade to the current version. A second unlock code is included so you would definitely be able to load the maps into your 60. The price is very low, and although it lacks some of the newest car navigation features such as touch screen, voice synthesis, and look down view, it does everything one really needs in an auto GPSr. It remains the only suitable dual use model on the market.

OK, I took the advice of "maby" and contacted Garmin to get it straight from them and what issues I'd have. They were able to answer all of my stupid questions and were more than helpful. Here's what they said:

If I buy SPC550 (as an example) and want to use that City Navigator NT Also on my 60CSx, I'd have to purchase an Unlock Code ($75.00) to use it on my 60CSx. If, in 2008, I decide to upgrade City Navigator NT to V.9, I would only have to purchase 1 Unlock Code, and could get a 2nd Unlock Code free...to use on my 60CSx. In other words, when you Purchase an Unlock Code, you can get one additional Unlock Code free.

Regarding the SPC550, He said a City Navigator NT Upgrade would actually replace the existing Map currently in the C550 with the newer version. The map is not loaded on the card, but in memory.

I also asked what the difference was between City Navigator NT (since City Navigator NT is what comes with many of the Car GPS units) and City Navigator. I asked him if the Size difference means NT has less detail or what. Garmin said No, the detail of roads and such are the same in both. City Navigator NT is newer, and compressed to give the same amount of data but takes up less memory/space in the GPSr.

Edited by dschoen0

Okay I just bought a Garmin I3 GPS which includes a map DVD. So I am very interested in this situation.

According to a friend who bought the I2 (I2 is black & white, while I3 is color) he was able to load the maps on the I2 and on his 60CSX for no additional cost. There is a difference between the CITY NAVIGATOR NT software and the CITY NAVIGATOR standard, so now I am a little confused about what this friend mentioned, when they said they were able to get the extra "free" UNLOCK code for their 60CSX.

If this does not work for me I will be returning the unit to WALMART per the best "no questions asked" return policy.

Look at POST #4

Look at POST # 18 too

This post says they used the second unlock code for their 60CSX for no extra cost.

Look at this garmin web site

Garmin Maps compatability tool

It literally depends on which specific GPS that you have, and whether CITY NAVIGATOR NT or the CITY NAVIGATOR standard will work. Play with the selection of MAP and you will see the available list of compatable GPS change at every different map selection.

Garmin tech support may have thought you said 60CS which is different from 60CSX. It is an easy mistake to make.

Edited by Ellteejak

I would take a good look at the MIO C310X, it can be found a great prices, and can be customized. You could even add a bunch of Geocaching apps. For street navigation it runs a program called IGO known for it's liquid and game like navigation in Europe.

Here is a link to a boat load of info.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=69673

Edit; Here is a gerat buy until 4/14. I can't believe you can get the sirf III chipset and voice guidance softwatre in a device for $199.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...tomotive_GPS-_-

Edited by yyzdnl

Okay I just bought a Garmin I3 GPS which includes a map DVD. So I am very interested in this situation.

According to a friend who bought the I2 (I2 is black & white, while I3 is color) he was able to load the maps on the I2 and on his 60CSX for no additional cost. There is a difference between the CITY NAVIGATOR NT software and the CITY NAVIGATOR standard, so now I am a little confused about what this friend mentioned, when they said they were able to get the extra "free" UNLOCK code for their 60CSX.

If this does not work for me I will be returning the unit to WALMART per the best "no questions asked" return policy.

Look at POST #4

Look at POST # 18 too

This post says they used the second unlock code for their 60CSX for no extra cost.

Look at this garmin web site

Garmin Maps compatability tool

It literally depends on which specific GPS that you have, and whether CITY NAVIGATOR NT or the CITY NAVIGATOR standard will work. Play with the selection of MAP and you will see the available list of compatable GPS change at every different map selection.

Garmin tech support may have thought you said 60CS which is different from 60CSX. It is an easy mistake to make.

Sorry, Sure didn't mean to confuse anyone. Thought I was helping. And I could have very well misunderstood Garmin as well, but I believe I heard them correctly.

You have a point. If the 60CS handles these differently than the 60CSx, I could see where some of this may have come about.

Regarding the unlock code, I think we are in agreement here. You mentioned "This post says they used the second unlock code for their 60CSX for no extra cost." I believe that is a point I was trying to make initially...maybe didn't do a good job of it. But Yes....I was told by Garmin that if you buy an unlock code, then the 2nd unlock code is free.

I am very interested though in what you believe is different between City Navigator and City Navigator NT. I was told by Garmin that both CN and CN-NT have the same level of detail; however, City Navigator NT is compressed so it won't take up as much space on the GPS unit, and they tend to use CN-NT on newer models.

You may want to look at this response in the 26xx forum, I think it pretty well explains what will work in the 60CSX & the 26xx series, however I don't know about the 27xx series, it worked ok for my 2620 & my 60CSX.

BTW having City Navigator v8 & US TOPO on my 60CSX is perfect as I can set the route trip & the final cache location all from it.

Here is the response in the 26xx forum;

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.a...archTerms=,2620

Good luck.....Ernie

Edited by canuck travellers

I am very interested though in what you believe is different between City Navigator and City Navigator NT. I was told by Garmin that both CN and CN-NT have the same level of detail; however, City Navigator NT is compressed so it won't take up as much space on the GPS unit, and they tend to use CN-NT on newer models.

On my Legend C (Color with no card) I had internal memory of 28MB. It could just barely store all the roads in Connecticut and Rhode Island. I was using CITY SELECT (now called CITY NAVIGATOR) version 7. When I select map sections under MAPSOURCE I was getting very small map sections to select for upload to the Garmin (literally 1/2 the state of Connecticut at a time - seemed to be the size restraint. The city of Boston had four different map sections).

Now I upgraded to a 76CSX with a 128MB card. I registered CITY NAVIGATOR NT V8 with the 76CSX (extra unlock code due to my wifes Garmin I3 registration),and I selected the whole southern New England at once. This is at least eight times larger a map section to upload, all at once. The NT version is compressed somewhat, and can be handled by my unit, so it is worth the upgrade for me.

Just be careful that your unit can handle the NT version of CITY NAVIGATOR. And if you do not want to wait for the DVD from Garmin you can always try TORRENT download of CITY NAVIGATOR NT if you can find it. You just will not be able to UNLOCK unless you have a second code.