My geoarsenal.. what is yours?

In the UK we had two incidents in which the owners of legitimately owned and licenced guns "went postal" and killed members of the public, in one case a class of 29 five year old children and two teachers were all shot, one teacher and 16 children died. In response, ownership of handguns was made illegal.

We now have a big problem with knives which have become then the replacement weapon of choice and so it is now illegal to carry a knife with a fixed or lockable blade over a certain length.

This is a cache forum, so I will be quick ..... sort of.....

If you haven't noticed, when having any weapon is made illegal - only good citizens will be the only ones that will obey that rule or law. Criminals, that are NOT concerned with the legality of having a weapon, will be the only ones with those weapons. Which one will you be, when that happens ? The "Live" Criminal for having the weapon to defend your loved ones, or the Unarmed Citizen that is "Living in Fear or Dead"

Stand up for your rights ! Or they will be taken away from you !!! BY FORCE !!!

One thing I think everyone should carry:

bandana_1.jpg

A BANDANA!

You sold me on that one. I am now shopping for bandanas to both take with me and leave as swag :angry:

Yeah, you two can even discourage would be attackers with the bandana rolled up and "snapping" the bandanas at the attackers, like a wet towel....oh !!! There's an improvisation !!! wet the bandana BEFORE you start "snapping" (again, like a wet towel) it at them !!!...

Just thoought this could use some humor. ;D

My gear has changed several times.

I started with only my Garmin 12XL, some water, energy bar of some sort, a flashlight if it was dark out, and whatever we had in the car. All we did was "park and walks"

Then, we started doing caches a bit farther out, and had to do some walking. The wife and I carried a Camelback Mule (she wore it), with some bandaids, water, snacks, flashlight, notebook, pencils, and a sharpener...plus the printout of the site. I got a Blackhawk Patrol Pack. I carried more water and more food. A wet weather top for her, and spare socks and t-shirts for the both of us. It was my job to carry any extra gear (i.e., flannel shirts or coats) if the situation warranted it. The first cache we did in a wooded area about a mile or so from an unimproved road, had me walking through a thorn thicket and pulling thorns out for over an hour. We still didn't find it. Lesson learned : Take a first aid kit and a small pair of needle nose pliers (Gerber Fishing Buddy Multi-Tool).

Then we started back up when my son was 3. My wife got her own eTrex (whatever the yellow one is) and I bought the Spec-Ops T.H.E. Pack. It served two purposes. #1- It was my new "Assault Pack" while I was in, and # 2- Carried more stuff. Especially since I was now carrying more clothes and such due to our 3 year old.

Now, I have a Blackhawk Raptor X-1 pack (got it for 50% off at Grandpa's), In it I carry the following things...

- Large First Aid Kit (I have been in combat and know that some injuries need to get treated immediately), wife carries a smaller kit, Son carries a individual 1st-aid kit

- At least 2 flashlights (a rule that I learned in the Navy, 2 is one - One is None.) with batteries. (A Nitrolon Surefire, a 2x AA MiniMag, and a Ray-O-Vac 1 Watt LED Light), Son carries a Transformer flashlight (AAx2), and a crank-type light from Wal-Mart, Wife carries 2 Nitrolon Sure-Fires

- 4 Chemlights (Green or Yellow), my son carries 2 more in his pack, wife carries 2 in hers.

- 4 Emergency Blankets (those silver things, one is actually a tube/sleeping bag-for my son and wife during an emergency), Son carries a "space" blanket, so does wife.

- Pack of 6 compressed Camping Towels, wife carries another pack

- Cold Steel SRK w/ Blackhawk Airborne Sheath (w/ a full sized Gerber Multi-Tool in the sharpening stone pouch) for cutting some of the "shrubbery" away to make access for me. Wife and I, carry Ontario TAK knives on our person. Son carries small Old Timer folding knife in his pocket ( and knows how to use it responsibly)

- 3 L of water in the Camelback Resevoir, plus 2 more 1qt Nalgene bottles full of water, Wife has 3 L in T.H.E. Pack, Son carries a small resevoir (not sure how much- but has gone dry only once. I have plenty to share with him.) in his pack

- Chewy Granola bars (my son LOVES em !!!) I'm sure that we have dozens of em !!!

- about 100 ft of 550 cord..give or take...have used some to teach the wife and son how to make lean-to's and other fieldcraft items.

- Wet Weather Top for myself, WIfe Carries both top and bottoms for her and an extra "rain suit" for our son.

- Wife and I carry a small "survival kit" (Matches in wtrprf container, orange marking "bandanas", lighter, tinder, pocket knife, survival cards/manual,etc - we have bought several and have trained with the ones we didn't pack away- to keep that knowledge handy), Son carries some bandaids, benedryl, aspirin, 2x whistles-(one worn)

- S&W 4053, 40 cal (me), Taurus Millenium, 40 cal (wife) (with proper permits) and 2 spare magazines for each.

- Garmin 12XL (my favorite), and Rhino 120. We all carry compasses and maps of the area we are in. Sometimes, in easier terrain, I let my now 5yr old take point. That way he gets to feel the responsibility of getting us to our points. He's really good. I'm always his back up, as is mom.

- Wife and son also carry Motorola Walkies on secure freq with my Rhino.

- Notebooks (we each have our own for our finds, notes, whatever-my son draws and practices his German and Arabic) and pencils/pens/markers.

- Small "Rain Suit" for my boy- It's his back up. He carries his own.

- Digital Cameras (I carry the one I bought in Iraq in 2003-it's a POC, but still works!, wife carries a better one, Son carries a disposable or 2-he's on the trip, he can take a pic of something if he likes.They are HIS memories too !!!)

- Several QT and GAL sized Zip-lock bags, in each pack

- 2 "Hefty" type bags, in each pack

- a "few" Wal-Mart bags (who DOESN'T have some of these ? LOL !!) for CITO

- Wife and I carry cell phones, usually turned off. (WHy waste the battery while the phone searches for service constantly - especially since some of the places you can't even get service.)

- some sandwiches, or a log of summer sausage, some cheese, some crackers, for a meal if we will be doing 5 or more total miles. (we have gone on 14-15 mi round-trip hikes - my boy ends up on my shoulders for most of it [makes me feel like I did when I was in the Infantry], but gets to enjoy the beauty of nature and seeing Bald Eagles or snapping turtles, sees stuff that I didn't get to when I was a kid - plus he sleeps like a baby afterwards)

- Hiking sticks we make out of deadfall, use them for the trip, then leave em somewhere on the trail. We have, however brought a few home that now have some kid of ornaments on em to remember the trip.

- Swag, when we can get some. If not, then we TNLN. Just note our appearance in the logs, take some pics and away we go !!!

- I carry a small propane stove w/ "full" bottle, and a canteen cup. (wife carries canteen cup and cocoa) For when we just wanna sit down in the winter and have a warm cup of cocoa. (Mmmmmmm, nice.)

I know that I am forgetting to type out a few things like extra clothing and such. Most of that goes into my pack cuz I can carry the most for the longest time.

I also know that there are a few things in there that we probably don't need....but as I learned a long time ago.... It is better to HAVE and NOT NEED, than NEED and NOT HAVE !!!!

I can't be prepared for ALL emergencies and situations, but I AM ready for most.

I also use a lot of ....what are the words that I am looking for ???......It's on the tip of my tongue......Oh yeah......COMMON SENSE !

Have a Great Day !!!

Respectfully,

The FU2 Dude, from The FU Crew !

Edited by mafuentesjr

Have two packs a fanny pack and a haversack, the choice depends how far we intend to travel.

No heat!

The heaviest item we carry is water- trying to lessen the weight by finding "Dehydrated Water" (I'm sure someone will try and market something like this [remember the Pet Rock]).

It would be much lighter and all you have to do is add some H2O when you want a drink :D

Garmin 60CX / belt clip

PDA with software

Cell phone

Extra batteries

Compass

Carabiners

Wet wipes

Travel towel

Water / snacks

First aid kit

Multi tool

Pen

Spare logs and baggies

Bug repellent

Backpack

Fanny pack /bum bag

Swag

Hat

In the truck I keep spare micros and a role of olive drab duct tape.

Boy, I never knew how many "Soldier of Fortune" lifetime subscribers geocache.

All I take is the 60CSX, the cache description printouts, some pens, drinking water, and bug spray.

Even though the moderators have warned several times to drop the gun debate bantering these kind of jabs keep popping up......guess this allows for a retort.

Kind of strange seeing a poster from Bucks Co. PA slamming gun owners. Bucks County is considered one of epicenters of the Golden Age of American gunsmithing.

One thing I've noticed about most with an anti-gun bias is that they are basically good folks (just like most gun owners) The problem with most good people is that they can't fathom how really bad bad people can be. Those that do know often pack heat to protect themselves and loved ones.

Boy, I never knew how many "Soldier of Fortune" lifetime subscribers geocache.

All I take is the 60CSX, the cache description printouts, some pens, drinking water, and bug spray.

Even though the moderators have warned several times to drop the gun debate bantering these kind of jabs keep popping up......guess this allows for a retort.

Kind of strange seeing a poster from Bucks Co. PA slamming gun owners. Bucks County is considered one of epicenters of the Golden Age of American gunsmithing.

One thing I've noticed about most with an anti-gun bias is that they are basically good folks (just like most gun owners) The problem with most good people is that they can't fathom how really bad bad people can be. Those that do know often pack heat to protect themselves and loved ones.

His statement is very ironic considering his avatar. An Aero L-39 Albatros light attack fighter jet. The basic trainer is not armed, but has two underwing pylons for drop tanks and practice weapons. Light-attack variants have four underwing hardpoints for ground attack stores; the ZA also has an underfuselage gun pod. There are almost 3,000 still in service.

I'm just sayin'...

Resource: Wikipedia

Btw... I don't subscribe to SoF. I subscribe to being prepared.

Edited by TotemLake

This thread should be called I carry a gun, neato. I carry a gps and a flashlight and found over 900 caches in my first five months. I do believe gun control means using both hands but give me a break, who cares if you carry.

No need to worry about carrying a gun if it comes with its own wheels!!!!! The only problem is terrible gas mileage!!!!

stryker-MGS-offthebeach-s.jpg

Once a tanker always a tanker! Fargin' HOOAH!

DSC00319.jpg

Osprey Argon 70 Pack

Level IIIA Entry Vest (Kind of heavy but mostly used for urban caching, comes in very handy should a bear actually get it's paws on ya)

Yaesu VX-7R Hand Held Quad Band Transceiver (Cell phones are overrated!)

Roll Up J-Pole Antenna (When I need to reach out a little further then the rubber ducky will allow)

Garmin Nuvi 760 (Very very handy at getting you close to the cache)

Garmin 60Csx

Palm T/X (Paperless Baby!)

Soy Cybershot DSC-T200 8.1meg

Colt M4 Carbine (Gets the Job Done!)

Glock 23 (Just in Case)

Therm-a-Rest Prolite 4

Military issued Gore-Tex Bivy

Eagles Nest Outfitters Singlenest Hammock (For a refreshing nap after a tough day of caching)

SteriPEN Safe Water System

North Face Talus 33 +Footprint (Purchased prior to knowing how big of a difference a really nice tent makes. Will be buying a MSR Hubba HP within the month)

MSR Dragonfly Stove (Will be down sizing to a MSR Reactor)

100oz (3L) Camelbak Omega Reservoir

1L Nelgene Water Bottle x2

Several Topo Maps

Military Tritium Compass

Plus the Usual

Bug Juice

First Aid

Change of Clothes

Food

Swag

Plastic Bags

Pens

etc....

The wife thinks it's a little over kill, but what does she know?

Edited by scoutingfamily74

2666036846_57cd1b7042_b.jpg

Daypack /w hydration reservoir

Geocaching brochures for the unintiated

Various TBs, Coins and personal wooden coins

Camera, case, extra memory card

Micro keyboard

Calculator

Garmin 60CSx GPSr

Palm T/X /w cachemate

Cellphone

Chargers (AA charger not shown)

Writing utensils

Headlamp Tikka+

Fenix P3D Q5 flashlight /w extra batteries

Leatherman Wave; Spyderco Salt 1

50' approx Paracord

Small first aid kit /w wilderness medicine log book

Mini-survival kit; Sanitizer

Dual magnifying glass; Reading glasses /w cloth cleaner

Lighter; Carabiner /w Leatherman Squirt, ferrocium rod, micro-light

Whistle; Compass

NOT SHOWN but in vehicle:

Tilley hat, rain jacket, bandanna, leather gloves for when searching spruce trees!

Extend able walking stick (monopod) c/w more paracord, wire, duct tape and plastic bags

Extra caches prepped for immediate hide should the urge take me

Mosquito spray, permethrin spray

Edited by Roarmeister

BTW, why does anyone need to carry a sidearm to go caching?

Don't get me wrong, I have several firearms in my arsenal, but the only reason I bring a gun into the woods is for hunting.

For the same reason one installs smoke detectors in one's home and keeps fire extinguishers in one's home and car. For the same reason one carries a cell phone, drives defensively, and is always aware of one's surroundings. To keep yourself and your loved ones safe from harm.

It has nothing to do with hunting.

Never know when that tupperware may decide to fight back. :unsure:

I think it must be a location thing. I know along the coast, I would never consider carrying a firearm, even on some of the more obscure locations...I'm not really afraid of all that many seagulls or small rabbits coming after me and my friends.. :ph34r:

all you need for a rabit is the holy hand grenade, not a fire arm... gosh

Don't get me wrong, I have several firearms in my arsenal, but the only reason I bring a gun into the woods is for hunting.

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

when would you need it though?

For the same reason one installs smoke detectors in one's home and keeps fire extinguishers in one's home and car. For the same reason one carries a cell phone, drives defensively, and is always aware of one's surroundings. To keep yourself and your loved ones safe from harm.

It has nothing to do with hunting.

Never know when that tupperware may decide to fight back. :unsure:

I think it must be a location thing. I know along the coast, I would never consider carrying a firearm, even on some of the more obscure locations...I'm not really afraid of all that many seagulls or small rabbits coming after me and my friends.. :ph34r:

Not that I want you to go shooting at them, but black bears do range in your area.

There are two populations of black bear in South Carolina: one is located in the mountainous region along the South Carolina/North Carolina border and the other in the upper coastal plain. Black bear in the mountains of South Carolina seem to be expanding their range southward and westward and their population is increasing. The upper coastal plain population is presently stable.

Black bears are typically vegetarian, but they have been known to viciously attack humans when surprised or when cubs are nearby. They have also been known to stalk from behind.

I could also tell you about the cougar in your area, but I think I pretty well corrected your delusions of rabbits and seagulls.

Edited by TotemLake

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

when would you need it though?

The most dangerous animal is man. I can point you to several stories in the news this past year of bodies of hikers on the trail or near trailheads that were due to homicidal acts.

My wife likes to carry her engagement rifle with her while caching.

71ff0a62-0ec2-43d9-b9a6-fe93c37f7a15.jpg

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

I have a concealed weapon permit so I always have at least my Glock 27 while caching. Not sure how that is any different than carrying my pocket knife while caching. If we ran into each other you would never know I was packing. We would talk caching, we would sign the log, and we would move on. Guns are not that big of a deal, unless you are scared of them.

Other than that, a pen, my Surefire E2 Defender, some business cards (I own a gun shop and sell caching supplies, now everything I do is business related!), and my eXplorist 500 is pretty much what I have with me.

Man! Some of you folks carry some major gear. I guess the required load depends on your caching situation. I usually cache when camping in my RV. We don't often wander too far.

Typical gear...

Garmin 60CSx

Dell Axim 51v

Cell phone

Swag

Spyderco lockback knife

Swiss army knife

Kimber Ultra Carry 3" .45 ACP (yes, I'm one of the ten private citizens in California that has a permit)

Pencil

Flashlight

If we're off-roading or mine exploring out in the boonies then we'll bring more gear but it usually stays in the Jeep.

OTR

CIMG0390.jpg

my arsenal

repair kit

money

pen

swag

ipod

carry bag

bug spray

wet ones

Garmin etrax lengend HCx

spare batteries

Iphone

pocket power

power book g4

flashlight

knive

and of course Raw Dawg Energy drink

Edited by zoobum

This is what i pack, starting from the top and continuing down as the terrain gets more remote...

gc_kit.jpg

Sigg bottle of water

bag of trade stuff (mostly obsolete scout badges, also contains spare pen and a few micro pencils (for leaving in micro caches)

HTC legend (phone with GPSr built in, with the C::GEO app im totally paperless, i can discover, locate and post logs all within the field (presuming network signal)

if going for more than a few hours i also take my freeloader (not pictured) as the legend has a crap battery life

clip on folding belt pen, tin of Vaseline (i get chapped lips), sunglasses (polarised prescription)

Openel number 3 (tiny) folding knife, for sharpening pencils and a very usefull EDC knife

1W LED torch (2xAA) very bright and only £8

openel number 6 with the lock ring removed (the maximum i can leagally carry without having to prove a "good reason" to any police that stop you) 2⅞" blade (limit is 3") and non locking due to removing the lockring

First Aid kit

Silva Expedition 5 Compass

spare mobile phone (simple one with over a week of battery, and on a differnt network)

hank of paracord

Swedish firesteel (often have a turboflame lighter as well)

Mora Clipper sheath knife (only when in the woods or hills where i have a chance of justifying it)

All of this in a berghaus twentyfoursevern 20L daysack

I want a decent standalone GPSr that will remove my reliance on my phone but at the moment i cant afford one

As im in the UK i cant pack any heat but then again as we dont have bears or rabid critters or anything else of that ilk i hardly need to

Edited by dasy2k1