My geoarsenal.. what is yours?

100_1367.jpg

Though most of you can tell there is a Garmin 60CSx, Magellan eXplorist 210 (which may find its way into a worthy cache soon), a flash light, 2 water bottles, a laptop with a whole butload of software along with the MS GPS receiver, a snake bite kit, some bug repellent, a Glock 23 .40 cal, and a first aid kit. I carry many things not pictured such as swag and a cell phone, along with a flare, matches, the camera I took this with, and cigs :anitongue:. In addition I use the verizon broadband card for internet almost anwhere I go. What are in your geoarsenals? Pics are always cool!

A quick question though. What are these goecoins? I came across one today and had no idea what it stood for. I was just a picture with a date, no name, no team, etc.

The model 22 feels better in hand while shooting Muggles...seriously

I use only my GPSr with no batteries.....then I call my GF and she looks the cache up online and talks me to it over the phone

Edited by johnnyyork

Wow-- this thread is more than a little disturbing. I sure am glad my state has rational gun laws to keep armed redneck psychopaths away from me.

I'm sorry-- but if you need TWO guns to participate in a moderate-impact hobby that CHILDREN also participate in, you've got issues. Unless you're caching in baghdad, you shouldn't need a firearm.. its ridiculous.

Edited by Kyrandian

I'm still new and so still putting together my caching tools. As I'm a trucker carrying a firearm in my rig is strictly illegal even though I am well trained and hold a concealment permit.

My "bag" is actually a 19 pocket khaki vest that holds most everything I need. I just put it on, grab my stick, and away I go.

So far I am using:

Garmin Nuvi 350. Plan to pick up an eTrex or similar later on.

Mesquite hiking stick (light weight and very strong)

Swag

Notebook and pen

Flashlight

Knife

Bandana

Bug repellent (forgot to use it today and had to return 3 ticks to the wild)

Cell phone

Digital Camera

Digital video camera

Pocket sized first aid kit

Platypus water bladder in pack for longer hikes

Cliff's bars or other energy bars and assorted snacks for long hikes

Usually a bottle of Gatorade on shorter hikes

<pic snipped>

301 caches and counting

Just wait until the day you hike two and a half miles and can't find the cache. You ask the wife for the printout and she forgot it in the car. Of course, we didn't take the whole binder with us because it is so large. We ended up finding the cache over 500' away after a couple of hours hunting.

Got back to the car to discover the cache was an offset, not a traditional. Plenty of clues that would have walked us right to it.

We were paperless soon after.

Here's a recent hike/caching trip:

Temp was 103F, equipment included a Camelbak 3L hydration pack with an additional 3L of water (bottles) in the pack, assorted low sugar snacks and powdered mineral replacement suppiments (add to water bottle).

Plus all the usualy, sunscreen, FRS radios, tissues, knives, compass, GPSr...

and packing my Rugar GP-100 in .357 Mag, no snake loads (shot shells).

gp100%20cacher.jpg

gp%20zoom.jpg

Wow-- this thread is more than a little disturbing. I sure am glad my state has rational gun laws to keep armed redneck psychopaths away from me.

I'm sorry-- but if you need TWO guns to participate in a moderate-impact hobby that CHILDREN also participate in, you've got issues. Unless you're caching in baghdad, you shouldn't need a firearm.. its ridiculous.

If you are comfortable relying solely on laws, the police, and luck to protect your loved ones from society's predators that is your right and, while I can't conceive of that way of thinking, I fully support your right to believe that way and to act accordingly.

However, to cast aspersions on honorable people who think differently and who choose to be self-reliant, by calling into question their mental capacity and engaging in sophmoric name-calling is highly arrogant. Such behavior can only come from ignorance.

people need to stop being so judgmental, it may be hard to understand from where you may live, but people throughout this country walk around with weapons as if it was just a simple multi tool for them, some of the cache's could be far out in bush whack country and you dont want to happen upon a black bear or cougar or mountain lion, coyote, wolf, etc and not have one.

You've got to realize that most of us here will only ever need a decent knife for general use or light protection, other people live in a world where their are things that can cause them serious harm.

i think two guns is over excessive, if anything one decent handgun with an extra clip would do just as well, not that i'm saying they shouldn't, if its legal in their state then let them do so i say. As for me, living in the outskirts of NYC, i mostly have to worry about the occasional mugger or stray fighting dog, being 6 foot 3 and 250 lbs and quite capable of myself with a knife, i dont have a huge reason to carry a gun (even if i wanted to i cant, its illegal here) but i can understand for those people who would want that kind of protection.

most of the hatred/uncomfortable feelings come from not truly knowing about firearms, when you learn about them, try them out, you'll see they are just another tool, yes, a dangerous one, but that can be said of knives, box cutters, nail guns and a whole plethora of tools. you also have to realize most of the problems stem from illegal firearms, you know i could've had an illegal pistol since i was in high school? i never took up those offers though, because i plan on becoming a RESPONSIBLE firearms owner and i do things the right way, people who want to be the next Clint eastwood or john wayne buying black market firearms are the ones you need to worry about.

just keep this in mind

A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

-Theodore Roosevelt

oh, and on the topic at hand.

Knife, Multi-tool, GPS, Pen, Bug Spray, i'm not so far out from civilization that i need a first aid kit.

Edited by Dr. Jackal

I live in Montana and have experience Mountian Lions following me when I've been fishing. Family has also ran into bears on trails on two occasions. Before I had children, I would carry a .357. I no longer carry a gun unless its hunting season. The modern pepper sprays (designed for bears, not law enforecment) are more than effective.

I carry a fanny pack that holds two water bottles. This pack is never unloaded and contains the following:

Extra batteries

4 inch folding knife

Small leatherman tool

Waterproof matches

Mangnesium firestarter and flint (Always have two ways to start fire)

Purell hand santizer (best fire starting aide I've seen, It will burn in a water puddle)

Whistle

Hand cranked LED flashlight

Cheap emergency rain poncho.

My wife has a similar fannypack with a lighter and lacking the magnesium fire starter.

My two kids carry small camel backs with whistles and compasses attached. They also carry emergency rain ponchos.

On my belt goes a Rhino 120 and the pepper spray.

Usually one of us will have binoculars.

I usually carry an aluminum walking stick that also has a compass and a waterproof container with matches.

On a sidenote: the strike anywhere matches are getting hard to find now days.

Drop the gun debate and get back on topic please.

If you carry one, then that is fine. Feel free to post that you carry one. Debating the need for one is off topic and is dragging this topic down. Please search the forums for topics on the gun debate and read them. There are plenty.

Please stick to the topic. What do you carry with you when you go caching.

I was nice the first time...

Drop the gun debate!

I can see some people are not reading the entire topic. I felt I should quote myself for the second time.

There won't be a third time. Further off-topic posts will result in an introduction to your warning meter.

Drop the gun debate and get back on topic please.

If you carry one, then that is fine. Feel free to post that you carry one. Debating the need for one is off topic and is dragging this topic down. Please search the forums for topics on the gun debate and read them. There are plenty.

Please stick to the topic. What do you carry with you when you go caching.

I was nice the first time...

Drop the gun debate!

I can see some people are not reading the entire topic. I felt I should quote myself for the second time.

There won't be a third time. Further off-topic posts will result in an introduction to your warning meter.

Here's how I, as a person not privy to the behind the scenes, see how some of these threads go. Some innocent thread starts, usually about what is carried in the field, and invariably someone will mention they carry a gun. Then someone gets their underroos in a wad and comments how awful that is. Then there is a back and forth. Then a moderator warns the thread in general. It may even cool off a bit. But, eventually, one side or the other has to make a comment to defend their position and it starts all over again. Then more threats. Then eventually the thread gets so out of whack it has to be closed.

Why can't we treat the debate of gun control and the appropriateness of carrying while geocaching, as if it is any different than the rest of our lives, as taboo as uttering the word navicache used to be? Private warnings and post editing to remove the verbal bombs tossed out would go a long way to stopping it where continued warnings seem to not. That one carries or that one does not should be fair game, but opinions about what the other person does really should be kept to yourself. It would save plenty an otherwise viable thread.

I'm not trying to tell the moderators how to do their job, but letting this sort of bickering go until boiling over, or even simmer, doesn't seem to be working.

I was hiking along a rural path and had a pack of three very large dogs appear just down the hill from me.

We came across some feral dogs before. Fortunately, the alpha apparently didn't want to tangle with us. They just stood off at a short distance and "woofed" a bit.

Feral dogs can be a serious menace and folks should be aware there can be killer packs out there. If you come across a pack of dogs out in the woods, don't assume they are friendly.

It's sad, really, where most of these dogs come from. There wouldn't be nearly as many if some folks wouldn't scoff at the "spay and neuter your dogs and cats" message.

In mind my this has been one of the more decent and relevant topics/threads as there is still a lot of back country left in the USA (and other places too). I will quickly mention that there are dangers in both the wilderness and the civilized area where caches reside and while the issue of the right to self defense was not the original posters question , it invariably creeps into threads that deal with the tools of that activity. I think, for the most part that we have been on topic but agree that there have been the an occasional emotional flare up. I'd be sad to see this information topic closed.

Edited by rdaines
Why can't we treat the debate of gun control and the appropriateness of carrying while geocaching... <snipped>
You can...

IN ANOTHER TOPIC!

Sorry to yell, but it seem I am going to have to in order to get the point across.

I'm not trying to tell the moderators how to do their job, <snipped>

Um, yes you are. :o:D

Please think about your post and why it is off topic while you take some time off from the forums.

Carry on... on topic.

I'm suprised at how many are paperless...I've been jotting down the coords, desc and hints on index cards that go in a binder (index card sized). I applaud you all for saving trees! I may have to upgrade...

Other items I carry:

GPS

Batteries

camel back

bug spray wipes

Wet One wipes

ziplocs

swag

caribeaners (both as swag, and as needed)

Things I'm going to carry after reading the Topic:

knife/leatherman

hand sanitizer (one of the last finds was a racoon haven and they left their mark EVERYWHERE!)

first aid kit

bandana towel (not sure if any Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fans have switched, but I don't think I will yet :lol: )

walking stick

air horn if we go into dense wildlife area

fire starter (magnesium? lighter? matches? any better than others?)

plastic grocery bags (cito)

Things I'm going to carry after reading the Topic:

knife/leatherman

you wont regret it, i keep a Leatherman on me too (dont know if i remember adding that i just put down a general list) but ever since i got a leatherman i've yet to regret it, i got the Leatherman core BRAND NEW on eBay for 30 dollars, on average it goes for like 70 bucks in the stores, i got such a sweet deal and this thing is QUALITY made, real strong and the tools are great, each Leatherman has different things but the most common ones i've seen for outdoor types are either my Leatherman core or wave, if you bring alot of equipment that has screws and such i also suggest buying the little Screw addition they have available on the leatherman site.

as for a knife, Gerber makes some real nice quality ones with good strong rubber grips but you can also buy cheaper knives for around 10-15ish just make sure they have a strong base, if their made of surgical steel be careful with it, they can be quite sharp but you have to take more care of them, one of my favorites for knives to bring is this

http://www.mossyoakknives.com/kndetail.asp?mid=325309

the saw can break out some bush if you're having trouble, the guthook if you're fishing and the regular knife for general use, its the knife i often bring out, takes care of pretty much anything, and if i need a backup saw thats where my leatherman core comes in

Edited by Dr. Jackal

(deleted - I had some good points, but I really don't want to get involved in this any more on second thought, beyond this: I like guns, and understand why others to too. Just be careful & realize that the height of training in any field of any sort of fighting arts is figuring out how not to use them when it seems no other alternative exists... Make Mr. Miagi proud!

WOOPS! Here, to get myself back on topic, is a pic of my most important gear right after my GPSr, car keys, main battle tank, and single pack of cookies:

Covered.jpg

After all, if you can't get to the cache in comfort, can you really get there at all?

Edited by Friendly Goat

For just geocahing I carry my bushnell onix 200 gpsr, cache papers (soon to be paperless, Z22 palm), a fisher space pen, gerber applegate-fairbairn fighting knife, cell phone, cache items, ziplock bags (different sizes), extra write in the rain paper, lighter, mini-mag flashlight, extra bateries (aa's). I am not to worried about muggers here in jersey. I was suprised to see how many people carry handguns. Just out of curiosity how fast can you draw, take safety off, and take aim?? I would think that most times it would be too late unless you have some serious training (military or police). Not to mention unless you practice this over and over you will get slow and sloppy. I am pro-gun being I was in the marine corps, and can see the need to have a weapon for back country defense (eventhough most times you can scare the animal away as most are more scared of you then you are of them) but some of you are definately packing for bear literally. Also i like the bear spray for emergency situations, eventhough in my many years of hiking and backpacking all over the world i have never had to use it. Just a couple of weeks ago I was 25 to 30 feet from a female black bear chasing some small game up a tree. She saw me stopped and looked and i stared back standing very still, heart racing. She turned after a few seconds and ran off into the woods, probably more afaid of me then i was of her, i hope. Not to say the situation could have been different, but from past experiences animals are mostly afraid of humans. I guess knowing I can defend myself with my bare hands and having an excellent awareness of my surroundings is what stops me from worrying about people mugging me so take your own precautions if you must. I just here stories all too often that someone was mugged then shot or stabbed or maced by their own weapon. So with that, to all you who carry, be safe, and remember "Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People." :lol:

100_1367.jpg

Though most of you can tell there is a Garmin 60CSx, Magellan eXplorist 210 (which may find its way into a worthy cache soon), a flash light, 2 water bottles, a laptop with a whole butload of software along with the MS GPS receiver, a snake bite kit, some bug repellent, a Glock 23 .40 cal, and a first aid kit. I carry many things not pictured such as swag and a cell phone, along with a flare, matches, the camera I took this with, and cigs :lol:. In addition I use the verizon broadband card for internet almost anwhere I go. What are in your geoarsenals? Pics are always cool!

Remaining on topic is also a good thing to remember.

I am going to quote the original post again. Please stay on topic.

Reviewing the OP topic I see flares and matches listed, I carry a fire starter kit with magnesium and a striker. What I don't have are flares. I used to carry many when boating but hiking in the desert and the usual high fire danger, marine flares supposedly have a longer burn time and can ignite fires when reaching the ground. I have researched other types of flares yet, anyone got info on non marine flares?

Highly modified Jeep Rubicon for transportation, complete with total recovery gear, spare parts, food and water supply and 2 life jacket pistol lockboxes. 60csx, multiple radios, walkie talkies, and uhhh, the most important items when 30 or 40 miles from the nearest help. .357 titanium Taurus for wife on her side, Kimber pro carry .45 on mine and magnum bear cannisters of pepperspray. First aid kits, tire repair kits, extra fuel and tools.

Totally self contained and self protected.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Edited by patsarge

Any recommendations on binoculars? Something for scouting the landscape ahead & perhaps viewing the odd hawk overhead but still light enough not to leave in the car?

I would be tempted too carrying a little extra protection however, haven't run into a problem so far.

SigsPig

In my GeoArsenal:

My Flippin' Sweet Trimble Hip pack

100% Deet Bug Spray (Actually, 98% deet, 2% other ingredients, not as advertised

SPF 50 Sunblock I picked up at a job fair.

My Nikon Sextant, of which I have not yet found a practical use, it was given to me.

My cheap spotting scopes for scouting out wildlife and elusive muggles.

My GeoSwag

My Trusty Gerber Multi-Tool

A Sharpie, Pencil, and my 2 pens

My Garmin ETrex Legend

Spare AA's

My Rite-in-the-Rain Field book (Waterproof, of course!)

My handy-dandy deluxe Tweezers

My .50 Caliber Nerf Blaster, in case I meet a rabid beaver or pesky children!

100_1824.jpg

Temp was 103F, equipment included a Camelbak 3L hydration pack with an additional 3L of water (bottles) in the pack, assorted low sugar snacks and powdered mineral replacement suppiments (add to water bottle).

gp100%20cacher.jpg

gp%20zoom.jpg

You're a noob

You're a noob

Tisk, tisk...name calling, I'm so offended.

You obviously live a but further away from civilization than we do here out west. In this area, caching with a side arm would get you at minimum 6 months reduced to 45 days for PC417 and a misdemeanor on your record.
Many of us are fortunate enough to live in a location with more reasonable carry laws, I guess.
Also around here, the worst you'll come across may be a band of south of the border pot farmers or a mountain lion. ...
Well, there's two reasons to carry.

Not to mention the amount of Meth (and the ones that are cooking)that is being produced in the woods where we used to not have to worry about our kids hiking on their own. Capt73

Though most of you can tell there is a Garmin 60CSx, Magellan eXplorist 210 (which may find its way into a worthy cache soon), a flash light, 2 water bottles, a laptop with a whole butload of software along with the MS GPS receiver, a snake bite kit, some bug repellent, a Glock 23 .40 cal, and a first aid kit. I carry many things not pictured such as swag and a cell phone, along with a flare, matches, the camera I took this with, and cigs :). In addition I use the verizon broadband card for internet almost anwhere I go. What are in your geoarsenals? Pics are always cool!

A quick question though. What are these goecoins? I came across one today and had no idea what it stood for. I was just a picture with a date, no name, no team, etc.

You didn't include the pack mule for carrying all that cargo.

BTW, why does anyone need to carry a sidearm to go caching?

Don't get me wrong, I have several firearms in my arsenal, but the only reason I bring a gun into the woods is for hunting.

I certainly don't bring a laptop - the point of caching for me is to get away from everyday trappings and to commune with nature. :unsure:

Meth cooks and Mexican mobsters cooking or growing dope in the woods where we like to play and hide geocaches. :unsure: The local Sheriff pulled several thousand yep thousand (millions street value) marijana plants out of the woods near us this week and it will continue untill the harvest is over. Capt73

Is that a borescope? (long flexible thing)
That is a "Prikstok", an "invention" of Dutch geocachers. It is a former infusion stand which had been used by paramedics. It has been made by the Austrian manufacturer "Schukra". The hook that holds the infusion bottle was removed. It can be rolled together for easy transportation and if you pull a lever it turns into a slim and stiff stick which is very handy for searching caches covered by foliage.

How would someone here in the US get their hands on one these? How much? I'm interested.

Lions and tigers and geocachers.... oh my! I'm fairly new to this and actually do a bit of night caching. Should I be afraid of cachers with guns mistaking me for dinner? :)

I'd say not and I presume that you have a light with you anyway. Hunting is not allowed at night so you're safe there and armed Geocachers are not the guys you have to worry about. I get banged up enough caching during the day, I'd probably really hurt myself if I did it at night.

Edited by rdaines

Lions and tigers and geocachers.... oh my! I'm fairly new to this and actually do a bit of night caching. Should I be afraid of cachers with guns mistaking me for dinner? :ph34r:

I'd say not and I presume that you have a light with you anyway. Hunting is not allowed at night so you're safe there and armed Geocachers are not the guys you have to worry about. I get banded up enough caching during the day, I'd probably really hurt myself if I did it at night.

Well, now I have a light. Of course near where I live you do have to worry about the rednecks with guns! They will shoot at just about anything, at any time... day or night! But, I try to be careful. I think I have hurt myself worse during the day but, I played Roller Derby... so no worries there. :blink:

Edited by pokerace

That handgun can be a very wise thing to have with you. I guess it would depend on where you go. We go a lot of places that it takes more than a tank of gas to get in and out of. I would hate to break down 100 miles from the nearest gas station when you had to 4 wheel in and out. I think I would call that remote. I don't think anyone on here is a redneck psychopath. A person could be in a world of hurt in remote areas without a means of eating, protection, and possibly a means of signalling that you need help if you do break down. Id rather depend on myself to do so than to hope someone else is around to do it for me. No tow truck, no restaurants and no police to help if you need it.

Not everyone does this in a local school ground or park. You certainly have a right to your opinion but I seriously doubt that any children or you would ever go where a lot of us go to play.

Edited by patsarge

amazed at the sheltered life and close mindedness of the anti gun group represented here. it must be nice to live in that world! couple of months ago, in the Angeles national forest( were i do a huge amount of my caching), we had an individual running around the forest hacking people up with a samurai sword. to bad none of the victims had any way to defend themselves or fight back. would definately carry a gun ifi had one. in addition to that, i like to take extra flashlights,batteries, swag to trade, pocket knive, multi tool,snacks , camera , notebook, pen and pecil. and i always go caching in my work clothes. (i love my nomex)

In the UK we had two incidents in which the owners of legitimately owned and licenced guns "went postal" and killed members of the public, in one case a class of 29 five year old children and two teachers were all shot, one teacher and 16 children died. In response, ownership of handguns was made illegal.

We now have a big problem with knives which have become then the replacement weapon of choice and so it is now illegal to carry a knife with a fixed or lockable blade over a certain length.

Nevermind... my post was about guns... didnt read the warnings before posting...

I'll post a pic of my gear soon once I get a chance to take one.

EDIT to remove my 2 cents on making guns illegal so that criminals wont use them to commit crimes which are also illegal.

Edited by irchriscdk

i agree. most people who carry are responsible..no doubt. but i also feel that most people who carry do not have the training necessary to safely handle a weapon. i'm sorry, but the cwp course you have to take to get the permit is a pretty sorry excuse for weapons training. i'm sorry, you can't convince me that most people carrying weapons are properly trained and safe. therefore, i think they are generally a bad idea. especially when possibly caching with children....

Michigan has pretty good training requierments. And you cant show your peice it cant be visiable ever or its considered brandishment and then you done forever.

Here is my usual geocaching/hiking gear.

Of course, for urban grabs it is basically a cellphone, my geocaching pda, and my GPSr...

102_0595.JPG

Pictured:

• Nikon D50 digital SLR
  • Bladder from my Camelbak M.U.L.E. that also holds all of the gear in the picture
  • Single piece steel survival knife with paracord wrapped around handle
  • 16-LED flashlight - waterproof
  • Hand sanitizer (you never know...)
  • Smith and Wesson Extreme Ops Tanto folder - this one is always on me
  • First aid kit with some added goodies like a couple of "space blankets"
  • Swiss Army knife (stays in the pack) - has saw, pliers, tweezers, etc...
  • Usually a ziploc with some sort of high-carb snack (cinnamon toast crunch in this case)
  • Magnesium fire starter and flint striker combo
  • Lighter (just in case there is plenty of easy tinder around and I dont want to mess with the magnesium)
  • Magellan eXplorist 500 GPSr
  • Palm Zire 21 (purchased especially for geocaching since I dont want to take my Palm T|X into the woods)

Not Pictured:

• Garmin Geko (yellow) backup GPSr
  • Lensatic Compass
  • Topo maps
  • CamelBak M.U.L.E. pack that holds everything

I normally take this stuff along only on geocaches that involve hikes into forests and such - but those are my favorite ones so I tend to do a lot of them. Like I said before, for an urban micro or something it is usually just my PDA, cellphone, GPSr, and my Smith and Wesson knife (but only because I always carry it)

Edit for spelling...

Edited by irchriscdk