My geoarsenal.. what is yours?

100_1367.jpg

Though most of you can tell there is a Garmin 60CSx, Magellan eXplorist 210 (which may find its way into a worthy cache soon), a flash light, 2 water bottles, a laptop with a whole butload of software along with the MS GPS receiver, a snake bite kit, some bug repellent, a Glock 23 .40 cal, and a first aid kit. I carry many things not pictured such as swag and a cell phone, along with a flare, matches, the camera I took this with, and cigs :laughing:. In addition I use the verizon broadband card for internet almost anwhere I go. What are in your geoarsenals? Pics are always cool!

A quick question though. What are these goecoins? I came across one today and had no idea what it stood for. I was just a picture with a date, no name, no team, etc.

Edited by rbennitt

A still pretty new to the whole thing, but my gear is almost the same as yours:

- Garmin GPSMAP 60CX

- Treo650 with Plucker / Cache Log

- Small shoulder bag: swag, water bottles, pen, paper, large pocket knife, XD-9 (9mm) or Glock 20 (10mm), extra batteries

- Laptop with: GSAK, Sunrise. Sprint broadband card

Have to add some bug spray with DEET to the mix pretty quick to keep the ticks away.

Laptop usually stays home though. I like to take my motorcycle caching when its nice enough - easy to get around on, and great on gas.

Though most of you can tell there is a Garmin 60CSx, Magellan eXplorist 210 (which may find its way into a worthy cache soon), a flash light, 2 water bottles, a laptop with a whole butload of software along with the MS GPS receiver, a snake bite kit, some bug repellent, a Glock 23 .40 cal, and a first aid kit. I carry many things not pictured such as swag and a cell phone, along with a flare, matches, the camera I took this with, and cigs :laughing:. In addition I use the verizon broadband card for internet almost anwhere I go. What are in your geoarsenals? Pics are always cool!

You have a very different meaning of "hunting for a cache" than I do!

You have a very different meaning of "hunting for a cache" than I do!

safety first :laughing:

hunting-heavy.JPG

OK, let's see here. At top is a HP Pavillion ZV6000. Left to right is Palm Tungsten T2 PDA, Garmin eMap (yeah, it's old school), flashlight, Buck Folding Hunter (yeah, it's old school), Smith & Wesson Model 19-4 .357 mag with pachmyers (wheelgun, yeah, it's old school), Ortgies .25 for backup (yeah, it's puny but it fits the pocket well), speed loaders with Winchester 125gr. hollowpoints, cell phone, and Kenwood TH-F6A triband HT (144, 220, 440).

the-real-deal.JPG

OK, here's the real deal. I've not gone caching anywhere I need to be packin' for bear. I usually only bring the Tungsten T2 and my Garmin eMap. Unless I'm deep in the forest, here in California I'm not going to be packin' much of anything.

A quick question though. What are these goecoins? I came across one today and had no idea what it stood for. I was just a picture with a date, no name, no team, etc.

You didn't include the pack mule for carrying all that cargo.

BTW, why does anyone need to carry a sidearm to go caching?

Don't get me wrong, I have several firearms in my arsenal, but the only reason I bring a gun into the woods is for hunting.

I certainly don't bring a laptop - the point of caching for me is to get away from everyday trappings and to commune with nature. :laughing:

Yeah,I knew the questions were going to start about the sidearms ...... :laughing:

I never go into the woods without a sidearm at the very least.Never know what's going to happen or what delicious animal season it is.Course if you live in VT there's no need for a concealed carry permit so it's usually on me most the time,or at least in the truck.

I love that little .25 up there too.Nice little pocket gun.

IMGA1112.jpg

What's here-

Caching bag with swag and pen/pencils,Buck stryder folder,benchmade auto folder,camera pouch,GPS V with case and cig lighter adapter,Leatherman,surefire w/ red filter,LED head lamp,and extra logbooks for full or ruined ones.

*Not pictured*-Sig P229 :laughing: ...soon though :laughing::rolleyes: and cellphone,although it's about usless in 70% percent of the areas I frequent,including outside my front door.

Edited by vtmtnman

Have developed quite a collection in our geocaching rucksack now and only been at it for a month! as with others we are trying to keep it low tech we spend a lot of our lives relient on gagetry but somethings you just can't "live" without to geocache

Garmin emap

spare batteries

digital camera for those elusive shots

Duck/gaffa tape to do running repairs on caches/footwear etc

Water Bottles

Sweets to sustain weary georats

map of local area for quick getaway/shortcuts nooo sticking to marked footpaths

Swag to swap

pens

personal log book for clues finds and to record geocoins Tbs etc

and that's enough!

Happy Easter all minxyy "princessannie" "lectroboy" and "bugboy"

Don't get me wrong, I have several firearms in my arsenal, but the only reason I bring a gun into the woods is for hunting.

For the same reason one installs smoke detectors in one's home and keeps fire extinguishers in one's home and car. For the same reason one carries a cell phone, drives defensively, and is always aware of one's surroundings. To keep yourself and your loved ones safe from harm.

It has nothing to do with hunting.

Edited by pcunningham

You didn't include the pack mule for carrying all that cargo.

I guess it depends on where you cache and how safe you want to feel.

If you are miles away from anyone that could help and you meet some unsavory characters, wouldnt you want some protection?

You obviously live a but further away from civilization than we do here out west. In this area, caching with a side arm would get you at minimum 6 months reduced to 45 days for PC417 and a misdemeanor on your record.

Also around here, the worst you'll come across may be a band of south of the border pot farmers or a mountain lion. The other day my daughter and I were on trail in Helen Putman Park (Petaluma CA) and came across a Coyote. Fortunately, it was much more afraid of us.

But! If I were to cache in some of the more open wilderness, I too would carry at minimum my (pre-US contract) 92-SBF and probably my Winchester model 94. But I'd also have some tags for whatever is in season for the area.

Happy caching!

100_1367.jpg

You obviously live a but further away from civilization than we do here out west. In this area, caching with a side arm would get you at minimum 6 months reduced to 45 days for PC417 and a misdemeanor on your record.

Exactly why I hated it when I was stationed there!I feel sorry for gun owners there....I can just imadgine the rediculous laws they've come up with out there for cachers as well.

I certainly don't bring a laptop - the point of caching for me is to get away from everyday trappings and to commune with nature. :laughing:

I guess it depends on where you are going. For us, it comes down to possible rabid coyote, aggressive bear, starving lion, or rotten two-legger. Better to have it and not need it. Actually I am glad to see so many carrying!

I don't carry a laptop either. Usually I print out the cache listings I intend to visit, or take some quick notes to stuff in the pack.

Except for the new GPSr and swag, this has been standard hiking-in-the-wilds equipment for a long time:

- Garmin 60CSx, with some paper notes on caches

- compass

- maps

- ziplock with swag

- pencil

- S&W model 1955 .45 or Springfield 1911 .45, occasionally 20" 870 12ga instead

- water

- lighter

- dogs

VKsnr

Edited by VKsnr

I certainly don't bring a laptop - the point of caching for me is to get away from everyday trappings and to commune with nature.

I guess it would depend on where you cache. I keep thinking about getting a sidearm so that I can go deep in the woods. With the rebound and increase in turkey population has come the increase in predators that I never saw around here before. I'm leery of coyotes, wolves, reports of possible cougars, rabid animals which have been reported to have been found all over the area, mama bears, large packs of loose dogs running free (I can tell you from experience we were glad the owner wasn't far off when they surrounded us). Wondering how to protect myself has kept me from wondering too far off the beaten path. I keep toying with the idea. Not too concerned so far. I've limited my hiking to state parks and local areas.

For the same reason one installs smoke detectors in one's home and keeps fire extinguishers in one's home and car. For the same reason one carries a cell phone, drives defensively, and is always aware of one's surroundings. To keep yourself and your loved ones safe from harm.

Never know when that tupperware may decide to fight back. :laughing:

Edited by baloo&bd

hunting-heavy.JPG

OK, let's see here. At top is a HP Pavillion ZV6000. Left to right is Palm Tungsten T2 PDA, Garmin eMap (yeah, it's old school), flashlight, Buck Folding Hunter (yeah, it's old school), Smith & Wesson Model 19-4 .357 mag with pachmyers (wheelgun, yeah, it's old school), Ortgies .25 for backup (yeah, it's puny but it fits the pocket well), speed loaders with Winchester 125gr. hollowpoints, cell phone, and Kenwood TH-F6A triband HT (144, 220, 440).

Jeeze. Urban micros are getting wicked.

I think it must be a location thing. I know along the coast, I would never consider carrying a firearm, even on some of the more obscure locations...I'm not really afraid of all that many seagulls or small rabbits coming after me and my friends.. :laughing:

It also has nothing to do with caching.

Many of us are fortunate enough to live in a location with more reasonable carry laws, I guess.
Also around here, the worst you'll come across may be a band of south of the border pot farmers or a mountain lion. ...
Well, there's two reasons to carry. Edited by sbell111

In the UK we had two incidents in which the owners of legitimately owned and licenced guns "went postal" and killed members of the public, in one case a class of 29 five year old children and two teachers were all shot, one teacher and 16 children died. In response, ownership of handguns was made illegal.

We now have a big problem with knives which have become then the replacement weapon of choice and so it is now illegal to carry a knife with a fixed or lockable blade over a certain length.

We now have a big problem with knives which have become then the replacement weapon of choice and so it is now illegal to carry a knife with a fixed or lockable blade over a certain length.

The knife limit has been true here in Michigan since I was a kid, though no one could find out if the limit was 3 or 4 inches. They were afraid if they asked then the police would come knock down their door and take away anything that looked like a weapon.

I think it must be a location thing. I know along the coast, I would never consider carrying a firearm, even on some of the more obscure locations...I'm not really afraid of all that many seagulls or small rabbits coming after me and my friends.. :laughing:

Uh... rabbits? You have rabbits around and you don't carry?

killer_rabbit.jpg

killer20rabbit_1.jpg

Edited by BRTango
In the UK we had two incidents in which the owners of legitimately owned and licenced guns "went postal" and killed members of the public, in one case a class of 29 five year old children and two teachers were all shot, one teacher and 16 children died. In response, ownership of handguns was made illegal.

Soon, everyone will carry sticks to protect themselves. Naturally, sticks will be made illegal. Everyone will cary a pocketful of rubber bands to shoot at each other for protection. Rubber bands will be quickly made illegal. Straws and spit balls will take their place. ...

I had never thought of packing heat while caching.... I don't suppose you use those as trade items, do you?

I'm still pretty new to geocaching, and I carry almost nothing besides my GPS, some extra food, my Swiss Army knife (if I remember it), a flashlight, an ink pen, and a few cans of Red Bull. I do keep stuff in my car, and I suppose it would vary depending on the situation....

Edited by physics_boy

Though most of you can tell there is a Garmin 60CSx, Magellan eXplorist 210 (which may find its way into a worthy cache soon), a flash light, 2 water bottles, a laptop with a whole butload of software along with the MS GPS receiver, a snake bite kit, some bug repellent, a Glock 23 .40 cal, and a first aid kit. I carry many things not pictured such as swag and a cell phone, along with a flare, matches, the camera I took this with, and cigs :). In addition I use the verizon broadband card for internet almost anwhere I go. What are in your geoarsenals? Pics are always cool!

Bolded for the REAL danger, the horror - don't you know they are bad for you, they'll stunt your growth :laughing:

Normally I just carry the GPS, some swag and a knife - a boring picture there. Now the other "toys" will be too far off topic to even consider bringing up.

The goecoin, if no tracking markings, could be considered a trade item - someones personal coin left for the next finder :)

Good thing baseball isn't popular there or next they would outlaw baseball bats.

Anyway, to get this back on topic, here is my summer caching gear:

26f969a4-ed83-480a-810a-da08d1fccffd.jpg

Edited by briansnat
is this a joke? or are you guys really packin heat to find a cache?

i'm not even gonna get started....

Many cachers legally carry a weapon. It is not an issue of whether they are caching, or not. I personally, don't carry or not carry based on what I am doing for the day (unless I'll be in a location that does not allow me to carry). Edited by sbell111

after i posted i thought of possibly a few situations in which i would carry a weapon...most of which involved a large animal feasting on my hide. i am a gun-loving american...make no mistake about it, i own many weapons and enjoy them thoroughly...yet i would not take one caching...or driving with my kids if i had some...or to the store...or whatever. weapons are meant to hunt with, and defend with. and unless its war here in america, i can use my hands to defend myself just fine. i've said my piece, and i'm sorry it's off topic...but i had to get it out.

I think it must be a location thing. I know along the coast, I would never consider carrying a firearm, even on some of the more obscure locations...I'm not really afraid of all that many seagulls or small rabbits coming after me and my friends.. :)

Uh... rabbits? You have rabbits around and you don't carry?

killer_rabbit.jpg

killer20rabbit_1.jpg

Hee, hee, good for that rabbit...

after i posted i thought of possibly a few situations in which i would carry a weapon...most of which involved a large animal feasting on my hide. i am a gun-loving american...make no mistake about it, i own many weapons and enjoy them thoroughly...yet i would not take one caching...or driving with my kids if i had some...or to the store...or whatever. weapons are meant to hunt with, and defend with. and unless its war here in america, i can use my hands to defend myself just fine. i've said my piece, and i'm sorry it's off topic...but i had to get it out.
My feeling on this is that I have no way of knowing when I will need my weapon. If I knew when I would need it, I would only wear it on those days. After all, my BDA380 is a fairly small handgun, but its a couple of pounds dragging on you.

ok...you got me to post again.

not to get too personal...but have you actually had to use your sidearm?

I was curious about that, too.

To be honest (no offense to anyone here) but guns make me feel much more UNsafe than most animals or people I'm likely to meet on a hiking trail. I get that it makes others feel safe against predators (be they animal or human), but honestly, I never would want one on me...something that can kill in the blink of an eye is not something I want around. That's just my personal thoughts, no one needs to be angry or argue with me, I think I get the other side of it, too, it's just how I've always felt.

That being said, I usually carry:

A backpack filled with

*GPS

*extra batteries

*extra log book and pen

*plastic baggies

*swag

*cache pages (yes, I'm still printing them out) :laughing:

*OFF or something bug repellant

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff but that's most of it.

To be honest (no offense to anyone here) but guns make me feel much more UNsafe than most animals or people I'm likely to meet on a hiking trail. I get that it makes others feel safe against predators (be they animal or human), but honestly, I never would want one on me...something that can kill in the blink of an eye is not something I want around. That's just my personal thoughts, no one needs to be angry or argue with me, I think I get the other side of it, too, it's just how I've always felt.
My feeling is that if you know that you could not be comfortable carrying a weapon, then you should not do so. That being said, lots of people have concealed carry permits. By their very nature, you would not know if these people were carrying a weapon, or not. If you met one of us on the hiking trail, you wouldn't know that we had a weapon, so you wouldn't know to feel 'much more unsafe'.

Of course, if that cougar tries to drag you into the bushes or you wander up on the meth lab, pot farm or uncontrollable masher, you might be glad that your fellow cacher came prepared.

Edited by sbell111

My first thought was, "Holy @#$%!! bringing guns to a find a cache". I can kind of see bringing one out, but that makes me more nervous than encountering an animal. :laughing:

Anywhoo... our bag consists of cache printouts, cameras, water, snacks, swag, first aid supplies, and extra batteries. Theres probably more but cannot recall off the top of my head.

My feeling is that if you know that you could not be comfortable carrying a weapon, then you should not do so. That being said, lots of people have concealed carry permits. By their very nature, you would not know if these people were carrying a weapon, or not. If you met one of us on the hiking trail, you wouldn't know that we had a weapon, so you wouldn't know to feel 'much more unsafe'.

Of course, if that cougar tries to drag you into the bushes or you wander up on the meth lab, pot farm or uncontrollable masher, you might be glad that your fellow cacher came prepared.

That's what I'm saying...I had no idea, now I AM nervous :laughing:

Cougars are pretty stealthy though, so I don't think I'd have a chance to fire if I had a weapon if it pounced. I can't even see my house cat coming half the time! :) And wouldn't I end up getting shot at the meth lab visit, even if I fired, too. I guess I could take some out with me though...but again, my reflexes aren't up to that if they have a lookout that grabs me first :)

My first thought was, "Holy @#$%!! bringing guns to a find a cache". I can kind of see bringing one out, but that makes me more nervous than encountering an animal. :laughing:
Honestly, I'm having trouble with this reaction. Certainly, you are not nervous when you are in the grocery store, even though the same individual would be legally carrying his/her weapon while picking up eggplant for dinner.

i agree. most people who carry are responsible..no doubt. but i also feel that most people who carry do not have the training necessary to safely handle a weapon. i'm sorry, but the cwp course you have to take to get the permit is a pretty sorry excuse for weapons training. i'm sorry, you can't convince me that most people carrying weapons are properly trained and safe. therefore, i think they are generally a bad idea. especially when possibly caching with children....

... Cougars are pretty stealthy though, so I don't think I'd have a chance to fire if I had a weapon if it pounced. ...
Actually, that was the other reason that I proposed that it would be good if the other cacher was armed. While you are being dragged into the bushes by your scalp, your friend can kill the cat.