I'm so Frustrated..........

I've tried 3 different Windows XP based machines as well as my Mac, numerous pieces of Software and nothing will work. I'm sick of entering cache coards manually and I'm really close to giving up. I've read the other threads on this forum and nothing has worked for me. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We'll get you there.

What software are you using to connect to your gps? (Garmin Trips &, EasyGPS, etc) and on your GPS when you select Main Menu, Set Up, Interface, what does the Interface details show?

Also, what error/failure do you get?

Edited by BlueDeuce

I've tried 3 different Windows XP based machines as well as my Mac, numerous pieces of Software and nothing will work. I'm sick of entering cache coards manually and I'm really close to giving up. I've read the other threads on this forum and nothing has worked for me. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm...., make sure in Setup that the interface is set to Garmin. It should be from the factory, but check. Which Legend do you have, the Blue, C, or an "X"? Is it a serial or USB connection? I've never had a problem connecting with my Legend. I use GSAK for all my waypoint management needs.

You have probably already tried this, but:

1. Try different cables to be sure it is not a problem with the USB cable.

2. Check to be sure the computer is recognizing the eTrex (Right click on my computer: properties >> hardware >> device manager. When connected, you should see the Etrex in the list. If not, the cable is bad or the drivers have not been loaded.

Edited by dg8200

Do you have the latest drivers from Garmin?

On my computer it did not see my new Vista C until I got the latest driver from Garmin.

Hope this helps

kf4oox

Yes...without the right drivers, you will not see it in the hardware list. I know that for the Garmin 60CSx, there were some updated drivers that were recently made available on their website. Here are the links to the eTrex Legend series (and there are some recently updated drivers listed):

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.j...ct=010-00358-00

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.j...ct=010-00440-00

Do you have the latest drivers from Garmin?

On my computer it did not see my new Vista C until I got the latest driver from Garmin.

Hope this helps

kf4oox

Yes...without the right drivers, you will not see it in the hardware list. I know that for the Garmin 60CSx, there were some updated drivers that were recently made available on their website. Here are the links to the eTrex Legend series (and there are some recently updated drivers listed):

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.j...ct=010-00358-00

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.j...ct=010-00440-00

I will try again today and I will make sure to document step by step and post it here, that way I can paint the exact picture for everyone.

Chas

Something else to try.....if you are on a network or if you have other devices connected to your computer it is possible that the etrex is trying to assign itself a drive letter that is already in use.

to check this..right click my computer...click on manage..once the new window pops up select disk management....look in there too see if you notice your etrex there....if you do see it note the drive letter designation that it has and then double click on my computer. If that drive is already being used go back to your computer management window...right click on the unit and click change drive letter and paths. Select a drive letter that is not in use and click ok on any warnings.

If that is the problem you are having this should fix it and you computer should recognize it no problem now.

Edited by chandljl

If you have the basic Legend, the greyscale screen and blue case, then you don't need drivers. It's serial, not USB, and all you will see is a com port. If you use a Serial/USB adapter to connect the serial cable to a USB port, it's still serial, and the adapter will show up on a com port. It will never be assigned a drive letter, because it's not a drive, it's a peripheral connected via the serial port.

OTOH, if you have a Legend C or CX, then you have a USB device, which will be given a drive letter.

Which Legend do you actually have?

I am having the same problem, trying to interface with EasyGPS. I have the basic Legend with the serial connector. I have tried everything, but I keep getting the error message: Serial port will not open. Checking my system, it says that the serial port COM1 is working fine. When I contacted Garmin, they said that they do not troubleshoot 3rd party software. Now what?

I am having the same problem, trying to interface with EasyGPS. I have the basic Legend with the serial connector. I have tried everything, but I keep getting the error message: Serial port will not open. Checking my system, it says that the serial port COM1 is working fine. When I contacted Garmin, they said that they do not troubleshoot 3rd party software. Now what?

They do troubleshoot Mapsource. If you can connect with Mapsource you should be able to connect with EasyGPS. Garmin will troubleshoot Mapsource. Plus can use Mapsource to load GPX files to your GPS. Mapsource itself is free for use with a Garmin GPS.

A few things to check.

1) The Serial Driver is working. If not re-install it.

2) You are using the right com port. Com1 may be the modem. Your Serial port could be Com5 or com12. Hard to say with XP computers until you try out all the available com ports.

3) The odds are agasint this but given the goofy things my current firewall is messing with, If the first two don't work try turning off your firewall and see if you can connect.

If you have the basic Legend, the greyscale screen and blue case, then you don't need drivers. It's serial, not USB, and all you will see is a com port. If you use a Serial/USB adapter to connect the serial cable to a USB port, it's still serial, and the adapter will show up on a com port. It will never be assigned a drive letter, because it's not a drive, it's a peripheral connected via the serial port.

OTOH, if you have a Legend C or CX, then you have a USB device, which will be given a drive letter.

Which Legend do you actually have?

This is key. Hard to troubleshoot if we don't know which one. The old blue Legend has a different connection than the C and CX

Just a thought!

If you have a Palm device or any other device and the synch program for that is running in the background on your computer you might find that this has taken over the port that you are trying to connect to.

I had this with a Palm organiser when the hot-synch program for the palm was set to start when I booted my computer, which locked up the serial port and stopped the connection to one of my serial Garmin GPS units.

Hope it is as simple as that...............

Just another Thought!

If we are talking about the older serial etrex legend, then make sure the unit is set to "Garmin" on the Interface page. If this is not set to "Garmin" you will never get a serial connection...........

Good Luck...........

I have the blue etrex legend with the grey screen. I'm sorry I didn't explain that clearer. Someone mentioned in a previous post that mapsource is free to Garmin users. Is this true? How do I get a copy? My unit didn't come with any software and my wife bought it directly from Garmin. Did they screw me over by not sending any software?

They do troubleshoot Mapsource. If you can connect with Mapsource you should be able to connect with EasyGPS. Garmin will troubleshoot Mapsource. Plus can use Mapsource to load GPX files to your GPS. Mapsource itself is free for use with a Garmin GPS.

A few things to check.

1) The Serial Driver is working. If not re-install it.

2) You are using the right com port. Com1 may be the modem. Your Serial port could be Com5 or com12. Hard to say with XP computers until you try out all the available com ports.

3) The odds are agasint this but given the goofy things my current firewall is messing with, If the first two don't work try turning off your firewall and see if you can connect.

I wasn't aware that Mapsource is available for free.

...I wasn't aware that Mapsource is available for free.

Mapsource manages waypoitnhs, maps, tracklogs etc. I had thought that a basic version of mapsource to manage the tracklogs and waypoints was available for all GPS users. However It's looking like I was mistaken. The POI loader is free, I don't know if that has a basic versino of mapsource included or not.

Sorry for the apparently false info.

The POI loader though should get some help from Garmin...or maybe not since it's free.

...I wasn't aware that Mapsource is available for free.

Mapsource manages waypoitnhs, maps, tracklogs etc. I had thought that a basic version of mapsource to manage the tracklogs and waypoints was available for all GPS users. However It's looking like I was mistaken. The POI loader is free, I don't know if that has a basic versino of mapsource included or not.

Sorry for the apparently false info.

The POI loader though should get some help from Garmin...or maybe not since it's free.

POI loader = USB

Chas, if you have a PDA, it's taking the com port and won't let go. You have to disable the hotsync manager before you can use the GPS, and disable the GPS software before you can hotsync the PDA. What I do is just tell the hotsync manager to use a different com port (any number, makes no difference which) while I work with the GPS. It will complain, but don't worry about it. Then when I'm finished with the GPS, I have to go back to hotsync manager and restore it to the correct port. Fortunately I don't have to worry about this often, because my regular Palm uses USB. I only have to deal with this with my M105, which I only use for caching, and I generally work with both the M105 and the GPS at the same time. It's a PITA, but remember, we're dealing with Windows.

Chas, if you have a PDA, it's taking the com port and won't let go. You have to disable the hotsync manager before you can use the GPS, and disable the GPS software before you can hotsync the PDA. What I do is just tell the hotsync manager to use a different com port (any number, makes no difference which) while I work with the GPS. It will complain, but don't worry about it. Then when I'm finished with the GPS, I have to go back to hotsync manager and restore it to the correct port. Fortunately I don't have to worry about this often, because my regular Palm uses USB. I only have to deal with this with my M105, which I only use for caching, and I generally work with both the M105 and the GPS at the same time. It's a PITA, but remember, we're dealing with Windows.

I am going to try one more PC today that doesn't have any extra stuff plugged into it and see where that gets me. If I'm still having trouble at that point then I'll post a very detailed message of the problems I'm having and then go from there.

Just another Thought!

If we are talking about the older serial etrex legend, then make sure the unit is set to "Garmin" on the Interface page. If this is not set to "Garmin" you will never get a serial connection...........

Good Luck...........

I have the blue etrex legend with the grey screen. I'm sorry I didn't explain that clearer. Someone mentioned in a previous post that mapsource is free to Garmin users. Is this true? How do I get a copy? My unit didn't come with any software and my wife bought it directly from Garmin. Did they screw me over by not sending any software?

Hi! I also have the Etrex Legend (Blue) and let me assure you hat it doesn't come with ANY software. If you want the trips and waypoint manager, you will have to pay for it. I am using GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) (registered) and it works flawlessly with the Etrex as long as it is set to "Garmin" and the USB box is UNCHECKED (blue legend comes with a serial cable, not usb). Run GPSr setup in GSAK. Someone mentioned a Palm device earlier and I do have a palm but I NEVER get a port conflict as the palm is USB. If you are getting a port conflict because of a serial palm device, you can choose not to let the sync program install during boot (properties).

I don't believe that Direct access to the Legend is possible, you must you a program.

Hope this helps just a little.

Tool_Man

I am trying to use EasyGPS with the earlier etrex Legend and all I get is a COM port error, serial port does not open. Garmin refuses to troubleshoot EasyGPS. Settings all look OK, what next?

Is it only EasyGPS? Usually if there is a problem, nothing will work.

First if you have Palm Desktop with Hotsync, make sure Hotsync is disabled.

If not you have to figure out what is grabbing that port. I had this problem. For a while I was able to resolve it by rebooting the PC and trying to connect immediately (if I waited too long something grabbed the port). Finally there was nothing I could do to figure it out, so I bought a USB adaptor and use that to connect my eTrex and Magellan now.

I am trying to use EasyGPS with the earlier etrex Legend and all I get is a COM port error, serial port does not open. Garmin refuses to troubleshoot EasyGPS. Settings all look OK, what next?

Check the simple things first, are the serial ports disabled either in the BIOS or operating system itself?

This may not add anything new, but I have the same Etrex Legend, and it works fine on my Windows XP computer. My suggestions:

1. Go into Device Manager, and make sure the port COM1 is enabled and working properly.

In my case, the settings for COM1 are:

Bits per Second: 9600

Data Bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop bits: 1

Flow control: None

2. In the Etrex Legend:

Setup – Serial Data Format: GARMIN

3. In GSAK:

In GPS setup: GPS brand: GARMIN

Uncheck the box for USB.

Communications Port: COM1

And, as others have suggested, make sure you don't have other software that is using COM1.

I also downloaded EasyGPS (which I don't use, but wanted to be sure it would work), and it finds the Legend and sends/receives waypoints without my having to do any particular setup in the EasyGPS program.

Don't give up. <_<

Are you connecting the GPS to the USB/serial adapter to the computer in the right order? If I don't connect mine in the correct sequence then I get the same error as you describe. The USB/Serial adapter has to be connected to the computer first. Nothing connected to the adapter. It will take a few seconds for the computer to recognize the adapter. Turn on the GPS, let it acquire, and set the interface to Garmin. After the adapter is recognized and the GPS has acquired then I connect the GPS to the adapter. Any other sequence won't work for me.

Do you have EasyGPS set for your GPS? It's under Edit, then Preference, then Add GPS. Click Garmin in the left box and then Garmin GPS models will be listed in the right box.

Turn on the GPS, let it acquire, and set the interface to Garmin. After the adapter is recognized and the GPS has acquired then I connect the GPS to the adapter. Any other sequence won't work for me.

Or, you have the option of choosing "Use with GPS off" instead of waiting for the Legend to acquire the satellites. I don't expect that would make any difference in this case, but since I'm always inside when transferring data between the computer and the Legend, I do this just to save a little time.

Or, you have the option of choosing "Use with GPS off" instead of waiting for the Legend to acquire the satellites. I don't expect that would make any difference in this case, but since I'm always inside when transferring data between the computer and the Legend, I do this just to save a little time.

I didn't mention it because I figured the OP was wanting to run down the road with his GPS connected to his laptop. Figured getting him up and running, then we can add the others for him to try.

I finally got my GPS to sync with a PC I got from my uncle. Now if I can only figure out how to load a ton of cache's into it I'll be alright....

Excellent! I am glad you sorted the problem!

Just think it would be nice if you told everyone that was trying to help you what the problem was, instead of just saying "I finally got my GPS to sync with a PC I got from my uncle"

Happy Geocaching!

I finally got my GPS to sync with a PC I got from my uncle. Now if I can only figure out how to load a ton of cache's into it I'll be alright....

Since you are a Premium Member, you can create Pocket Queries. Although there is other software avaiilable, many people use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). You can use that program to open the pQs, filter the caches, and send them to your GPSr.

GSAK will also Export the data in other formats for a Palm or Pocket PC, or mapping software.

First if you have Palm Desktop with Hotsync, make sure Hotsync is disabled.

That did it for me, works like a charm now. ;)

Thanks