Solar Bursts May Threaten GPS

all i know is that solar activity has disrupted our commercial grade gps a time or two. and not just a little blurb...i mean a major disruption. to the point we were questioning our ability to push buttons. so i dunno, i guess it's possible that our satellites could be terminally affected by solar winds / flares. guess we'll see, huh?

Just ran across this article, what impact, if any, do you think we will see in the next 4 years :lol:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8...;show_article=1

What they failed to mention in that article is that the "flare" in December was among the top 10 most intense seen in the 40+ years we have been recording and watching. It lasted a relitively few hours and in the grander scheme of things - just didn't last all that long. As I recall, I even had a few finds that day.

Solar flares do more than just cause problems with the GPS satellites and receivers. I think if a flare comes along that knocks out GPS you are going to have other things knocked out too. And those are probably more immediately irritating to lose, like the power grid itself. Although the flare in December was the strongest yet recorded, electronic and electrical systems on earth have been enduring periodic outages and other problems from solar acticity for as long as we have been using those systems. And we have had many sever solar storms.

Personally I don't worry about it.

VKsnr

From the bottom of the article:

Most of the WAAS ground stations were able to maintain contact with enough satellites to continue working, though their accuracy was somewhat affected, she said.

The stations have to maintain contact with at least four satellites to work, but usually monitor at least 10 to increase their accuracy, she said. Most were able to meet the minimum, she said.

Looks like if you are using WAAS you won't have any problems. Otherwise I'd keep my eye on my EPE or Geocache only at night.

Looks like if you are using WAAS you won't have any problems. Otherwise I'd keep my eye on my EPE or Geocache only at night.

Doesn't help us in Europe, until EGNOS is up and running.

As far as day versus night, I think the electromagnetic disturbance would still affect satellites unless they were entirely shielded by the Earth...but we're getting way beyond the scope of my knowledge of how all these things work.

Ah ha!

Think maybe I found the reason for my GPS's directional arrow to occassionally start spinning around 360 degrees. (or it could be the batteries)

No the media failled to mention that when this occures the axis of the planet has changed and the speed at which we rotate has tripled. :blink::o:o;)