Canada's New Government Provides Free Online Access to Digital Mapping Data

jimmay

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/media/newsreleases/2007/200728_e.htm

Canada's New Government Provides Free Online Access to Digital Mapping Data

OTTAWA - Experts and other users of digital topographic data will no longer have to pay to use digital versions of government maps and data. The Honourable Gary Lunn, Minister of Natural Resources, today announced that as of April 1, 2007, Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) began making its electronic topographic mapping data available to all users free of charge over the Internet.

"Our Government recognizes the importance of providing Canadians with access to the latest digital mapping information at no cost," said Minister Lunn. "Not only will Canadians now have free access to digital maps, but Canada will be known as an important source for digital mapping data around the world."

Topographic data provide information on the location of landscape features - such as lakes, rivers and elevations - and also roads, railways and administrative boundaries. This information is used for many purposes by governments, academia and the private sector to provide valuable maps for Canadians.

The new no-fee access policy applies to data that is solely owned by NRCan. This policy builds on an earlier initiative (www.GeoBase.ca), which in 2003 provided free access to various co-owned federal, provincial and territorial topographic data. As well as waiving access fees, NRCan is lifting all cost and licence restrictions on the redistribution of the data. This will help ensure that accurate and consistent information is available for users.

NRCan has provided the private sector with access to digital topographic data since the early 1990s. With the ongoing rapid growth of the Internet and the resulting drop in distribution costs, it is appropriate to make public information in digital form available without any restrictions on its use or redistribution. The data collections will be made available through the GeoGratis Web portal (geogratis.gc.ca). Users will need to have a geographic information system or image analysis system and the graphics applications of editing software to view the data.

The no-fee policy helps advance the Government of Canada's commitment to the development of knowledge, innovation and productivity in the natural resources sectors and elsewhere - giving Canadians the advantage to succeed.

jimmay

Edited by jimmay

That has been around for over a year.

If they start providing all of the Topo map data online free, that will be great as the existing mapsets (Mapsource, etc..) are missing a bunch of useful information from the datasets.

Edit: Wow, it is ALL there now... The entire NTS database.....

Edited by Red90

i would love to see a program as well to convet these to magellan frmat :cry:

i was on the site for about an hour. just checking things out!

wow, very interesting site indeed!

Magellan format is not possible (automatically) and requires quite a bit of manual intervention. The problem is the software to convert to Magellan is not very well set up.....

Very nice Red, would you be that keen programmer you were talking about? :cry:

Not me, I stopped programming 15 years ago and I'm too lazy to start figuring it out again. PLus I own Topo Canada, so don't have a huge amount of personal incentive.

It is pretty basic really and would be quite simple. There is a little data manipulation needed, but it is not too bad.

As a minimum:

- Change contour labels to feet instead of meters.

- Pull out contours to give the normal three levels of contours.

- Decide on the best looking type for each of the data.

- Automate the conversion into MP format OR automate the input directly into cGPSMapper.

Ibycus tells me that there is better road data available, so that would be used instead and would be more up to date and I assume it has names as well.

Really there is nothing stopping someone from doing the whole country and the results would be better than Topo Canada (except not routable unless someone wants to pay for the cGPSMapper full version).

Very nice Red, would you be that keen programmer you were talking about? <_<

Not me, I stopped programming 15 years ago and I'm too lazy to start figuring it out again. PLus I own Topo Canada, so don't have a huge amount of personal incentive.

It is pretty basic really and would be quite simple. There is a little data manipulation needed, but it is not too bad.

As a minimum:

- Change contour labels to feet instead of meters.

Actually I'm planning on keeping it in metres. I'm pretty sure if you configure the .mp file properly, it shouldn't cause problems (there is an option in the header to have the elevation values in metres).

Do you know the three levels? I don't have any topo products, so I can't check.

- Decide on the best looking type for each of the data.

Working on that :laughing:

- Automate the conversion into MP format OR automate the input directly into cGPSMapper.

Yep, my code takes the directory full of shape files, and converts it to .mp files on the basis of which nts grid it sits in.

Ibycus tells me that there is better road data available, so that would be used instead and would be more up to date and I assume it has names as well.

Stats can road data is pretty good, but its not split by NTS grid, which makes things a bit tougher.

Do you know the three levels? I don't have any topo products, so I can't check.

I sent you an email directly.

Topo Canada levels:

0 = 23

1 = 21

2 = 19

3 = 18

0x20 (Minor Contour lines) are on levels 0

0x21 (Intermediate Contour lines) are on levels 0 and 1 (every 5th interval)

0x22 (Major Contour lines) are on levels 0 and 1 (every 10th interval), I would suggest level 2 for this....

Note that contour intervals vary. They use tighter spacing in flat areas and wider in mountainous area. Plus, of course, half the maps are in foot intervals and half in meter intervals. That should be fun to code out!!

Stats can road data is pretty good, but its not split by NTS grid, which makes things a bit tougher.

My suggestion is to add an option that allows the user to choose to import the road data or not. You can then import the Stats Can road data separately if you are keen.

I've read all the emails and tried the links but I'm not much smarter. I have a Magellan and would like Alberta street maps and/or topo maps. Is there a free option for this now?

These maps are for use on a PC with programs like OziExplorer or Fugawi. They cannot be uploaded to your Magellan.

These maps are for use on a PC with programs like OziExplorer or Fugawi. They cannot be uploaded to your Magellan.

There are both vector and raster maps. The raster maps can be used with Oziexplorer and the like. The vector maps can be converted and used on a GPS.

The vector maps are here: http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canvec/ or here: ftp://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/bndt/

It is possible to convert them to Magellan format, although it is somewhat involved. Read the following link. You take the Arcview Shape files from the government and import them into MobileMapper, where they can be sent to the GPS.

http://www.msh-tools.com/magellanmapseng.html

Ibycus had been working to convert the entire country to Garmin format and release a DVD, but I suspect life has gotten in the way of the project. You can read about the project here, http://forums.calgarycachers.net/viewtopic.php?t=1921

You could do the same with Magellan format.

Any pointers on how to use this data with OZI? The tif files from CanMatrix are easy enough but I am wondering about the CanVec or BNDT data.

Thanks

Vector data such as CanVec or BNDT can not be used with Oziexplorer. Oziexplorer is a raster viewing program only.

I guess, to be clearer, is how can I use the CanVec or BNST data (ie software required).

Thanks for you help.

Thanks for the info guys, but I just can't get emotional enough to upgrade to a mapping GPS'r. The old Summit still works great.

However, I do carry command central with me on my Geo trips. I have a power inverter in the truck along with the laptop and a USB GPS'r and various mapping software and a wireless mouse on the armrest. So uploading in a garmin format is not a big deal..... (hmmmm..... can the maps on cgpsmapper be used in mapsource on the laptop?)..... rather I am just looking to be pointed to somehandy dandy windows software that can veiw the maps and interface with an NMEA compatable GPS'r

Hate to beat a dead cat, but thanks again.