How far would you go for a "secret"coin?

UOTrackers

This is just for fun, please no squabbles. I'm just curious how far some of you have or are willing to go to try and get your hands on one of these secret types of coins! Would you go after it at any hour? If yes, what if you had to work the next morning? (who are the die hards lol)

We would go only if it was convenient with the little guy! If the weather was nice, he was awake, etc... We are for it. But late, rain, snow, distance would prevent us from making a run.

Id love to have a nice 'set' of mystery coins, but we do the family caching thing which sometimes prevents a marathon run!

WilliamsFamGC and I also enjoy the family caching experience, but there are other times when we just have to kick it up a notch. We've driven more than hour, rain, shine, snow, middle of the night, through water, knee deep mud (it really doesn't matter) for special TBs, coins, FTFs, etc. It hurts getting up the next day when you only get an hour or two of sleep, but when the run is successful, it's hard to complain!! :lol: The only time it really hurts is when it gets us in the dog house, because we don't get back until 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning and our wives are waiting. LOL

Geocoin Fairy Geocoin

Total round trip 285 miles

Total Driving Time about 5 hours

Total cost for gas $35.00

Owning a Geocoin Fairy Geocoin - Priceless :lol:

Secret Agent Geocoin

Total Round Trip - .3 Miles

Total Running Time - About 5 Mins.

Owning a Secret Agent Geocoin - Again Priceless :lol:

Edited by chief20r2

I drove 187 miles, took 3-1/2 hours off of work and spent $40 on gas for a ECB coin. In addition to the coin I got a beautiful drive through the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area.

I drove about 2 miles at lunch time to get a GSA coin, but it was in a beautiful equestrian park tucked away in all this urban SoCal sprawl - with trees and leaves and trails and all kinds of non-urban natural stuff.

I like to drive so if I see a GCF coin pop up within a couple hundred miles, I'd clock-out again.

Hmmm. I think I would travel pretty far to get one, don't know if PengoDaddy and PengoDaughter would agree with me. :lol: PengoDaughter probably would as she's become quite the geocoiniker. :D

But I don't think I'd travel in the middle of the night. And unfortunately if the notification popped up while I was at work I don't think my boss would appreciate it too much if I suddenly left. :D

It's lots of fun to read about everyone's stories and adventures on how they got their secrect coins. :lol: It adds to the overall intrigue on trying to get one. :lol:

Thanks for this topic....

I know CrazyCaveLover drove from N. California to Phoenix AZ to get a Geocoin Fairy coin. In a large SUV (Escalade was it?). Lots of time, lots of gas. Way more interested in the coin than I would be. I don't know that I'd drive an hour. Maybe if I knew 100% the coin would be there when I got there, but it seems like coins go missing more and more.

I like the social and adventure aspects of geocaching. I love roadtrips, traveling for events and meeting people other cachers. I would drive for something if I felt was worth it. Secret coins are a welcome addition to the geocoin hobby. :lol:

Note: we are headed to Ontario (8 hours each way) this weekend to do a cache. :lol:

I know CrazyCaveLover drove from N. California to Phoenix AZ to get a Geocoin Fairy coin. In a large SUV (Escalade was it?). Lots of time, lots of gas. Way more interested in the coin than I would be. I don't know that I'd drive an hour. Maybe if I knew 100% the coin would be there when I got there, but it seems like coins go missing more and more.

Odd that you should mention that - I was just looking for the link to her story about that trip. CrazyCaveLover's trip

How far would we go? If there was an incredibly nifty cache associated with said coin, we'd probably travel several hours (one-way) - but that would be more to do the nifty cache with the coin as a nice bonus. Even then, we wouldn't take off in the middle of the night to look for it. Maybe a nice day trip on a weekend.

-SK

I like the social and adventure aspects of geocaching. I love roadtrips, traveling for events and meeting people other cachers. I would drive for something if I felt was worth it. Secret coins are a welcome addition to the geocoin hobby. :lol:

Note: we are headed to Ontario (8 hours each way) this weekend to do a cache. :lol:

"A" cache?

Like 1? Uno?

WOW.

I can tell you how far we didn't drive...we postponed a trip to my in-laws to snag a GCF coin. Instead I did a round trip drive of 45 miles to get the coin, and we left the next day for our trip to Grand Rapids, MI (429 one way from PA). Good thing we waited...the car broke down on the way to MI. If we had left the night before, we would've stranded on the turnpike in OH in the middle of the night. Since we left in the AM, we were able to get the car fixed along the way, and continue on.

We have not driven far to get our secret coins. But we would we had too.

GCF - Was in our cache a few miles from home. We searched for the cache for about an hour and a half!!! We had to DNF our own cache twice before finding it. Took 3 trips, an email to the GCF and the last finder to get it.

GSA - This coin was in the same cache as the GCF, but since we had already found we knew right where to find it and got it easy on the first trip.

ECB - This coin was a little farther from our house than the other 2 by still only like 6 miles away. It was near a cache we had not found. We got out there and saw an egg stuck in a tree and were surprised to open it up and see the prize.

So I guess all in all our secret geocoins have been mostly tame missions. But we are roadtrip people and I would snatch the kids up and go a great distance (a days driving or so) to get a secret coin if we wanted it. We did not get either the 2005 Santa coin or the 2006 Mystery Snowflake coins and never saw any dropped somewhere we could get to. :laughing: So if there is any Christmas/Winter 2007 mystery coins coming out...I will be on the look out for them! :laughing:

Edited by ParentsofSAM

I like the social and adventure aspects of geocaching. I love roadtrips, traveling for events and meeting people other cachers. I would drive for something if I felt was worth it. Secret coins are a welcome addition to the geocoin hobby. :laughing:

Note: we are headed to Ontario (8 hours each way) this weekend to do a cache. :laughing:

Enjoy your drive to Ontario,, :rolleyes:

It's suppose to be a cold weekend up here,, so bring your warm clothes..

GSA - Was placed in one of our caches not to far from home,,

EGB- Picked one up in another of our caches about 30 minutes from home

Now the Secret Fairy Geocoin,, Have not sen one around here, but I can say I would be willing to do a road run for it, at any time of the day or night .. :laughing:

Well if any ever came to Wy,I would drive many hours to get it. Hopefully it would be dropped very late at night ,so I could sneak out for it and beat Wyhunter there. But on a really funny note...Last night I went to the car at 11:30 pm and spotted a plastic easter egg...Iam thinking coin..happy..{ok didnt think,how did they get my adress} the church left it..dont forget easter sunday...oh well

I like the social and adventure aspects of geocaching. I love roadtrips, traveling for events and meeting people other cachers. I would drive for something if I felt was worth it. Secret coins are a welcome addition to the geocoin hobby. :)

Note: we are headed to Ontario (8 hours each way) this weekend to do a cache. :)

"A" cache?

Like 1? Uno?

WOW.

Well that's the focus, yes, but we are going to do other stuff... (i think)! :anicute:

This is just for fun, please no squabbles. I'm just curious how far some of you have or are willing to go to try and get your hands on one of these secret types of coins! Would you go after it at any hour? If yes, what if you had to work the next morning? (who are the die hards lol)

To my Mailbox.

hehe, ok, maybe i'd drive an hour or two.

How far, well it seems I have gone to the end of the world just to retrieve a TB that had gone missing for a while.

Picture this, Northern Manitoba, Remote Gravel access Road, 3 hours driving (one way). Remote lakes to drive by, old logging trails to view, a very remote mine site, then home again.

King Toad

Cost of gas, $1.00 per ltr.,

Time spent with wife

Geodog being allowed to run in an area she would never be allowed to normaly

View of a toxic mine site being cleaned up- Priceless

You can't trade these for anything.

So in total a whole day to go and get one cache. But I did manage to slip a couple of others into the cache finds while there...made a side trip for the wife to go shopping..and got away with it too.

So for a geocoin fairy, just put one within a days drive for me and see the Dinky Dakota fly...Dares ya!

Edited by slippery_1

Hmmm, that's a very interesting question especially since I've found most of my "secret geocoins" by accident. If I knew where the coin was located before hand I would think I would drive about 200 miles or so but with so many active cachers in the areas around me I don't know.

What I have driven is:

Secret Santa: 30 miles round trip

The Geocoin Fairy: 400 miles round trip (I was on a business trip in another state when I found it - surprise)

Mouth of the South: 35 miles round trip (surprise)

Easter Geocoin Bunny: 20 miles round trip (surprise)

Geocoin Secret Agent: 150 miles round trip (once again working in a different town - surprise)

I have thoroughly enjoyed being surprised each time and treasure each of the coins and the memories of the caches they were found in.

T1