PDA - GPS All-in-one

okimos

Greetings all!

We are relatively new to geocaching, but are hooked and have decided that an all-in-one device for the ultimate cache experience is definitely needed. I want a palm pilot that can store cache descriptions, web pages, & unlimited waypoints, can be integrated with google maps as well as Garmin / Mapsource software and can navigate via onboard GPS.

The Garmin iQue 3600a (http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600a/) looks like a cool, if expensive, aviation GPS advertised as follows:

"Featuring the Palm OS Garnet, including a complete suite of personal information management (PIM) applications, voice recorder, MP3 player and Secure Digital slot for memory expansion, the iQue 3600a is a full-featured organizer."

Does the PIM suite mean that it would work for paperless caching? Any suggestions here? I know you could just use a Palm Pilot and a basic GPS to accomplish the same thing, but the all-in-one option seems much cooler, and daddy needs a new toy.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

The Okimos

I looked into geocaching with the exact same approach...I was recommended numerous times to not go with the iQue and in retrospect I am glad I did not.

What I found was the iQue units do not have SirfIII chips. For me, after doing research, it was a must.

Durability is also an issue, but I wasn't too concerned because I am a techy and I am used to these type of devices...that being said, the first time out caching I was glad I went with a handheld because I dropped the unit on a concrete surface (ya, I just don't use the lanyard sometimes).

Not to mention the first time I took it on my motorcycle in the pocket of my pull over and lost it going down the road at 60 MPH and other than some minor cosmetic damage the unit is flawless (not even a hint of a scratch to the display thankfully...I was just glad I was able to find it!).

Also, regular PDA handhelds are not waterproof...again, something I wasn't too concerned with up front, but in retrospect am glad I reconsidered. It's nice to be able to cache in the rain worry free without some sort of baggy or something to protect the unit. In fact, it's nice to have a unit I can just flat drop in water and not worry about.

What I've done now for paperless caching is use my 60CSx along with my phone to keep the info. for the paperless caching. To me, this was the best of both worlds...I got a fairly sophisticated GPS device with more accuracy that the iQue and overall better geocaching attributes and upgraded my cell phone for less than one of these super-units.

Also, when I field tested an iQue after having field tested a 60CSx I noticed less accuracy and more issues with tree cover. And as good as those units are I am still not happy with how they view in the sun.

Then there is battery life...at it's peak 4 hours of life with minimal backlighting and you know that number will at least be halved over time. It's nice to know my 60CSx, fully lit, will last me through a number of caches.

That is just my personal experience...really glad I heeded that advice from my fellow cachers. But, if you must...yeah, I would love that unit. Just understand that it will become somewhat limiting (rain, battery life, satellite reception..just added up to too many minor nuiscances for me). Not to mention regular GPSr's are just plain more resilient to humidity and outdoor use in general.

Edited by egami

Yes, it can be done. I have an Asus Mypal A636 it works great with built in sirf III GPS and long battery life. Maybe not the best suited in bad weather or tough climbing, but I love it for average caching.

I use Destinator for roadway navigation because I can import my cache locations into it via a POI program. Nothing like getting turn by turn voice nav to the cache site. The other program I use is BeelineGPS for off road navigation and storing the cache pages and managing found and un found caches.

Here is a link to a discussion on all in one PDA/GPS mostly windows mobile OS I don't know what might be available for palm.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59747

If you are not an extreme geo cacher it is a great option and the PDA can be used for more than just Geocaching mine manages my diet, plays games, MP3's, bla, bla, bla.

I like the iQue 3600. It's been discontinued but you can get a factory refurbished unit with detailed maps for about $250.

Not an all in one unit, but you could get the GPS10x (otherwise known as Garmin Mobile 10) and use it with a palm such as a Palm TX or pocket pc such as the Dell Axim. Right now the software (Garmin Mobile XT) is still a bit buggy, but it will be a great combo once they get the bugs worked out.

I like the iQue 3600. It's been discontinued but you can get a factory refurbished unit with detailed maps for about $250.

Not an all in one unit, but you could get the GPS10x (otherwise known as Garmin Mobile 10) and use it with a palm such as a Palm TX or pocket pc such as the Dell Axim. Right now the software (Garmin Mobile XT) is still a bit buggy, but it will be a great combo once they get the bugs worked out.

I have been looking into a GPS PDA solution and the iQue 3600 sounded interesting. But when I dug into it a bit I found the it uses an older GPS receiver internally and does not have as good reception as the newer units like the M4, for example. See http://www.gpsnow.com/gm3600.htm. This page also seems to indicate the 3600 has a fairly short battery life compared to the other iQue units (and many other PDAs). It is fairly cheap in comparison. I see it listed new at eBay for $200 plus shipping. The others are over $400 I believe.