So why all the hate toward Magellan

I complained to the BBB about not getting a printed manual with my MeriGold after repeated requests from the company for a printed manual.

I received a call from their contact, he is listed on their BBB profile. He explained to me that the manual is on CD because the GPS is a computer product. After all, it does hook to your PC. So i guess the GPS units that Magellan makes are designed to work from your computer. While attached to my computer i have a very hard time caching with it though. Unless the cache is within about 4 feet of my PC- its is hard to find it. :unsure:

They expect their customers to do the following when buying a GPS:

• Not use a manual.
  • Pay a print shop to print you a manual that you can use while NOT at a PC.
  • Carry a laptop with you in the woods. (He told me i could do this.)

I apologize if someone feels i am being unreasonable...

Yes, you are being unreasonable. Of all people I am surprised to hear members of the geocaching community, who tend to be more environmentally concious, complaining about something like this. Also, it's the 21st century...I am not sure what products you buy, but thousands come with soft copy manuals.

Get the manual on disc, load it up in Adobe and print. Problem solved.

Edited by egami

Yes, you are being unreasonable. Of all people I am surprised to hear members of the geocaching community, who tend to be more environmentally concious, complaining about something like this. Also, it's the 21st century...I am not sure what products you buy, but thousands come with soft copy manuals.

Then i hope you have a product that you buy, like a car. Need info on where the spare tire is and try to look in your car manual for guidance, and find a CD.

How is that going to help you?

Or maybe you can buy a magellan have it crap out on you when you are miles away with no cell phone and need to do a hard reset of your unit. I hope you remember how to when you memorized your manual! Because if you print one out- you must not love the earth!!!

How am i not environamentally concious??? People who care about the environment dont need instructions with their products?

I am not a print shop but you want me to print over 100 pages?!!

:unsure:

I own both Garmin and Magellan handheld units. Garmin is Ok, Magellan sucks. So simple as this. All the attitude of the company is offensive towards their clients. Software is awful, sometimes surreal (my top one is the "turn off the unit, loose your GoTo Waypoint" if in Point-to-Point). I will never buy a Magellan again, that's for sure. Unless a lot changes in Magellan's world.

Now, hate? Dudes, this is just a piece of "machinery". I couldn't care less. I don't hate anything in this equation. I only keep the statement: Magellan sucks at almost all levels beeing in my opinion the software development the worst, because it's beyhond all logic.

Another assorted example of the sucking Magellan: in the second day using the unit, and I highlight THE SECOND DAY, the paint of the icons in the buttons started to fade out. After a week there was no icon at all in the joystick button. Soom there will be no icons in any button. Meanwhile I have been playing PS2 using the buttons non-stop, with enormous "violence", clicking, handling, abusing of those buttons... any paint fading out? Don't think so. It's not a Magellan after all.

Another assorted example of the sucking Magellan: I was stupid enough to buy a car support for the unit of Magellan (instead of a cheap universal PDA support). First day using it, it was broken ! Wow! This must be the reason why the cost 6x the price of a universal support!

Edited by Torgut

Then i hope you have a product that you buy, like a car. Need info on where the spare tire is and try to look in your car manual for guidance, and find a CD.

How is that going to help you?

Or maybe you can buy a magellan have it crap out on you when you are miles away with no cell phone and need to do a hard reset of your unit. I hope you remember how to when you memorized your manual! Because if you print one out- you must not love the earth!!!

How am i not environamentally concious??? People who care about the environment dont need instructions with their products?

I am not a print shop but you want me to print over 100 pages?!!

:unsure:

I don't care if you have to print out 500 pages....printing is so economical to do at home that if it's that important then do it.

Seriously, you are being way melodramatic about something that is ridiculous. How many items out of the manual are you going to need when you are out on the road, with no cell phone, no communications, no food, no clothes, no light....sorry, getting melodramatic there...how many? A handful at most...make a cheat sheet, or like I do, memorize them.

I know how to do a hard reset on my device. In fact, I can hard reset any device I own by memory for that very reason. Of course, I work in IT so that's my nature...but in the end, a hard reset is about the only item you'll need out of the manual in a situation like that. Because if that doesn't do it it's probably hardware related. If that does do it then at best there is a handful of other items you'd need from the manual to make a cheat sheet for.

You are being unrealistic. Calling the BBB because someone is doing business in a practical, sensible manner.

*edit*

Which, btw I looked it up and it's like 98 pages...more melodrama? Also, the ones I just looked up on e-Bay are pictured with manuals. Not sure where you bought yours, but maybe that place is the issue and not Garmin.

Edited by egami

The spare is the round rubber item with a nice rim in the center...look in the trunk or under the rear of the truck! :unsure:

If you really need the manual...print it out! If you can't afford to print that out, how would you be able to afford even the gas to go after caches? ANY print shop will print that out for you for next to nothing!

BTW...my Garmin came with the same mini-manual that comes with any unit...basic getting started info...so this gripe isn't one that is specific to Magellan!

Wow Torqut...for not hating something, you sure do think it SUCKS! Tell us how you REALLY feel! Well, to each their own. Tell me though, what units do you own that you can compare the software?

I've used my Magellan for a few months (MONTHS) and my unit looks just like it did when I bought it (save for the scratch on the screen (God-Son)...my bad for removing the screen saver though!

My Magellan holds reception even in a metal building (Lowes store)...my Garmin lost signal even out in the clear wide open areas! The wnd blew, I lost signal!! Now, granted the Garmin was a lowly etrex (although when I say that to my etrex carrying friends, I get "the look")...

I've owned 2 Magellan's the first was gold, it was used for over 3 years with out a single problem and the firmware was updated about 3 times and there was 2 firmware updates that I know of after 4.07.

The Exp 500 I had for about 2 years at about 8 months I had a problem with the data cable, I emailed Magellan and explained the problem and they sent me a new cable without even having to show proof of purchase.

About 2 months later I had a problem with sticky buttons and the membrane was splitting on the joystick. I emailed them again and had no answer, after 2 weeks I called their number and within 10 minutes I had a RMA to return the 500 for repair.The unit was gone for about 10 days, when it was returned it looked like a new unit and they had also sent me an extra li-on battery.

The only thing I dislike about the exp series is the joystick, I would much rather see a rocker switch like the Meridians had.

I'll probably get flamed for this but a lot of the so called problems with the exp series is operator error.

Edited by vagabond

I complained to the BBB about not getting a printed manual with my MeriGold after repeated requests from the company for a printed manual.

I received a call from their contact, he is listed on their BBB profile. He explained to me that the manual is on CD because the GPS is a computer product. After all, it does hook to your PC. So i guess the GPS units that Magellan makes are designed to work from your computer. While attached to my computer i have a very hard time caching with it though. Unless the cache is within about 4 feet of my PC- its is hard to find it. :lol:

• Not use a manual.

If you paperless cache you don't have to print anything out. I simply used the mobi reader program (free) to take the pdf files and put them on my hand held. That way i have the entire manual at my disposal with out having to carry a manual around. Just wanted to give you an option other than printing the manual out.

I received a call from their contact, he is listed on their BBB profile. He explained to me that the manual is on CD because the GPS is a computer product. After all, it does hook to your PC. So i guess the GPS units that Magellan makes are designed to work from your computer. While attached to my computer i have a very hard time caching with it though. Unless the cache is within about 4 feet of my PC- its is hard to find it. :lol:

• Not use a manual.

If you paperless cache you don't have to print anything out. I simply used the mobi reader program (free) to take the pdf files and put them on my hand held. That way i have the entire manual at my disposal with out having to carry a manual around. Just wanted to give you an option other than printing the manual out.

Yes, I am aware of that and I thought about suggesting that, but knight2000 seemed to have a fetish for paper. :laughing:

The response to that would be something along the lines of "well, what if your PDA dies, or you forget it at home or a comet from outer space hits it". To which I still suggest a hard copy cheat sheet of the handful of operations you'll every need in such a situation in the field. :lol:

But yes...I always have my laptop with me in the truck when I cache or a PDA with any pertinent information. The less paper I have to deal with the better.

I actually use my cell phone for my paperless caching.

Edited by egami

Thanks for the idea about putting it on my PDA. I didnt know i could do that. (We do paperless caching.)

At least that is an option. Its better than having no manual at all.

As far as what egami said- you are illogical. You say the less paper the better, yet you want me to print a manual. I dont want to print anything which is why i am upset. If i was as smart as you i wouldnt need a manual cause i would have memorized it and would know everything.

If i had a laptop in my car, i may feel differently. A CD doesnt do me much good unless i am in front of a PC.

As far as what egami said- you are illogical. You say the less paper the better, yet you want me to print a manual. I dont want to print anything which is why i am upset. If i was as smart as you i wouldnt need a manual cause i would have memorized it and would know everything.

If i had a laptop in my car, i may feel differently. A CD doesnt do me much good unless i am in front of a PC.

There is nothing illogical in what I said. I said IF you wanted it on paper that printing out is an option. Your big deal you were making was that it wasn't in printed form. I assumed that was your preference. My personal preference is paperless, but why would I suggest that when you made such a deal out of not having hard copy? That's a rhetorical question.

What's illogical is running to tattle to the BBB over it prior to researching your options.

Edited by egami

:lol:

Lets just get this back on topic.

I stated my concern. If you have read this and dont agree- thats cool. Use your best judgement when buying a unit. Do what works best for you.

I saw the quick start guide and thought it covered all the units features. I was wrong. If you read this before you buy a Magellan- be aware they do not provide printed manuals to be used in the field. You may have to memorize the manual, or just pay extra money to have one put in a form that you can use (Like buy a PDA, or laptop, or simply god forbid, print one out.)

According to Garmin, to my knowledge, they provide manuals. Does that make them not environmentally conscious? I dont know. Decide for yourself.

Manuals increase cost, increased cost increases prices.

Given the choice of reduced price and using a PDF, and receiving a manual, I'll take the PDF every time.

I wish more companies supplied PDFs on their websites instead of printing manuals, so long as the price is adjusted accordingly.

Given that the moment you do a firmware upgrade, your manual is obsolete, is even more incentive for GPS manufacturers to focus on PDFs instead of printed manuals.

Edited by StrikesFolks

For the last 3 years, I only used the Meridian Platinum and was very happy with it. The customer care problems, you are talking about, must hae occured in the US or other countries, as here in Switzerland, Magellan and its resellers did a great job! Therefore, I also used it as avatar

The only two reasons, I switched to the 60CSX unit were that it has a newer, more accurate chipset and that I've got a little heritage, so I could afford it.

I still use the MeriPlat as backup unit, to lend it out to newbies at geocaching, or if muggle buddies are intereseted in coming along on a caching tour, and have themselves have the WOW experience, when they find the cache.

Even with the older chipset, I had readings of 1 meter or less to the cache with the Magellan unit.

So to me, the MeriPlat is still a viable and very good solution, especially for beginners, and I will not sell it, as it is a reliable backup.

BTW, I don't have the topo maps or city navigator, as I am doing all my caching by public transportation (in Switzerland mostly trains and busses), except when a fellow cacher or buddy gives me a ride to a location. The 60CSx works just fine with the basic maps. For the MeriPlat, I do have maps, but I almost never upload the map to the GPS

Edited by tastom

Yes, its a known fact that Magellan is a strong supporter of SATAN.

Thats why we hate Magellan because we hate SATAN. :lol:

Well since nobody else will mention it, I will.

Magellan Inc. supports the Church of Satan. The CEO of the company admitted this on Oprah Winfrey last year. They have given millions to the Satanists.

The Magellan logo is a rendition of the Muslim symbol for Satan and as of that isn't enough proof, if you take the names of the most popular Magellan models of recent years, the Sportrak, eXplorist and Meridian you will see Sportrak, eXplorist and Meridian.

Also, its a known fact that the vast majority of Magellan owners are serial killers (or was it the vast majority of serial killers are Magellan owners?).

I had several Garmins before I bought my explorist 500. I wanted the SD card, I bought it soon after it was released. A year later Garmin came out with a SD slot. I should have waited. I've never had to contact support from Garmin or Magellan so I can't comment on support. I prefer the way the Garmin menu's and software work. Plus due to the vast majority of hand held GPS's being Garmins there is a lot more software that works with them and whenever software is updated its updated for the Garmins first and the magellans some times. I still have an Explorist 201 and use it just as much as the magellan. When I get some extra bucks I'll sell the 500 and get me a 60csx.

:huh:

Lets just get this back on topic.

I stated my concern. If you have read this and dont agree- thats cool. Use your best judgement when buying a unit. Do what works best for you.

I saw the quick start guide and thought it covered all the units features. I was wrong. If you read this before you buy a Magellan- be aware they do not provide printed manuals to be used in the field. You may have to memorize the manual, or just pay extra money to have one put in a form that you can use (Like buy a PDA, or laptop, or simply god forbid, print one out.)

According to Garmin, to my knowledge, they provide manuals. Does that make them not environmentally conscious? I dont know. Decide for yourself.

This is an issue for .1% of geocachers.

This is an issue for .1% of geocachers.

Again you are all knowing. How fun it must be to live with you!

At least that % will be helped. Which is more than anyone can say of your comments. You are more interested in doing anything but help.

Well, that's simply not true. I made numerous reommendations to try and accomodate your situation.

You're just upset that I don't harbor an appreciation for you calling the BBB on a company for an illegitimate complaint.

I did, however, offer you an economically feasible alternative for getting your information to hard copy. Let's not be dishonest. Yes, it'd be best to move on now.

Edited by egami

Why argue about a simple paper problem...and what do you care if Knight did write the BBB egami? Do you fear they'll come out and shut Thales down because they aren't supplying a manual? Knight now has an option, let it go! It would appear Knight is trying to let it die...

either that or maybe we should do like my dad would do...get the gloves boys, settle this in the ring! :huh:

BOT...There are as many people who love their Magellan as there are that love their Garmin, I love my Magellan, Knight2000 probably loves their Garmin...

just my $.02

edit for typo...sorry!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Why argue about a simple paper problem...and what do you care if Knight did write the BBB egami? Do you fear they'll come out and shut Thales down because they aren't supplying a manual? Knight now has an option, let it go! It would appear Knight is trying to let it die...

What I care about is integrity and legitimacy in complaints. I don't appreciate people skewing facts to smear the name of a company. I don't even care about Magellan, per se...I don't even own one and likely never will. It's the principle of the matter that someone would try to drag a company through the mud over an illegitimate issue.

That's why I care...we have enough beauracracy and red tape in this world and most of it can be avoided by simple common sense and communication.

And I will let it drop...but I won't let it drop with knight slinging mud at me and trying to cast the perception that I wasn't trying to be helpful just because he is upset that I view his report to the BBB as illegit and unnecessary.

Edited by egami

I have owned Magellans and Garmins.

(Magellan Color Sportrac, Garmin Legend, Garmin 60CS)

I have used the Garmins extensively (10,000 plus geocaches).

I have had many issues with the Garmins, and None with the Magellan.

I have had Good customer service with Garmin.

When the failures were their design, or their firmware/software, they were quick to fix it.

The only reason I don't use the Magellan, is because of the 'boomerang' effect.

The chip they used in the older models caused a delay in zeroing out at the cache site.

This allowed the Garmin users to find the geocache first.

But don't worry about that now.

Magellan is going to use the new SIRF chip in their new units for 2007.

This should eliminate that Boomerang effect (assuming they don't mess up the software interface).

There are plus and minus items for both brands.

Buy one that fits your needs and cost level.

They are both good brands. :D

Edited by ventura_kids

Back on topic...I don't think there is really any hate per se about any company...it's just Ford vs. Chevy in this case...both companies make their products and have loyal followers.

Exactly.

There is an economics theory that in any market there is basically room for three large players. Usually one major player and two jockeying for position. Now, I don't wholely ascribe to that theory, but there is an element to truth to the concept behind it (and I forget the name of the book now). Garmin is winning, or ultra-competative in some important battles...the customer service battle, the marketing battle and the technology battle. What I'd like to see, if someone is going to knock them off, is a company offer cheaper units with non-proprietary map info. Wishful thinking.

But I've used all the major companies units. We use a variety here at work and really, at the end of the day, it's a unit vs. unit thing at best.

Edited by egami

...I don't care if you have to print out 500 pages....printing is so economical to do at home that if it's that important then do it.

Seriously, you are being way melodramatic about something that is ridiculous...

Printing is more economical if the company does it and I agree with Knight on this point. An electronic manual is nice as a back up. It's not easy to read through during your lunch break, or as yo utry to get to know the products. It's worse if you try to read it on a PDA. As for actually printing it at home. It can be done but it costs more and wastes more paper. Most of us don't have the printes that can print on both sides of the sheet. Even if we did manuals are seldom 8.5 x 11 and you would waste a lot of paper that way.

As for being melodramatic. There I have to agree. It's an annoyance, it's the wave of the future (unfortunatly) and it's not a reason to go to the BBB.

...What I'd like to see, if someone is going to knock them off, is a company offer cheaper units with non-proprietary map info. Wishful thinking...

Back on topic that that I've read some other posts.

Maybe wishfull, but you are not alone in wishing it. Some of the new Bushnell or Delorme (or both) have arial mapping that could be taken off the internet if they allowed it. I like the direction some of the non Garmin and non Magellan GPSs are going. They just have to decide if they want to sell GPSs or maps.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Printing is more economical if the company does it and I agree with Knight on this point.

Just to clarify, that wasn't my assertion. My assertion was only that it is economically feasible for a person to print athome if they wanted to. Not that is was more economical than the manufacturer.

Conversely, that wasn't his point either. His point was that manufacturer's are somehow obligated to provide printed manuals.

An electronic manual is nice as a back up. It's not easy to read through during your lunch break, or as yo utry to get to know the products. It's worse if you try to read it on a PDA. As for actually printing it at home. It can be done but it costs more and wastes more paper. Most of us don't have the printes that can print on both sides of the sheet. Even if we did manuals are seldom 8.5 x 11 and you would waste a lot of paper that way.

I completely agree. My point was simply that in the off chance you needed info. in the field from the manual that getting said info. via PDF on your PDA is an option.

Obviously, for the most part you aren't going to want to view the manual this way, but then again...most times I am browsing through my manual for anything I am at home near a PC anyway, not out in the field caching.

...What I'd like to see, if someone is going to knock them off, is a company offer cheaper units with non-proprietary map info. Wishful thinking...

Back on topic that that I've read some other posts.

Maybe wishfull, but you are not alone in wishing it. Some of the new Bushnell or Delorme (or both) have arial mapping that could be taken off the internet if they allowed it. I like the direction some of the non Garmin and non Magellan GPSs are going. They just have to decide if they want to sell GPSs or maps.

Yeah, it's a slow evolving process and it's going to be interesting to see who wins out...hopefully Garmin doesn't simply become the defacto standard like MicroSoft. Although, I don't think they have near the hold on the market, so that likely won't be the case.

I agree...I like some of what I am seeing in the market.

Last warning: this thread is supposed to be about either hating Magellan or not and not about the printed manuals thing. From here, posts get deleted and posters individually get their warning meters dinged

Please constrain this topic to why you do or don't hate Magellan. If that happens to be the absence of printed manuals, so be it, but let us please not continue to pile on the concerns of one poster.

Continued infractions will result in closure of this thread.

I didn't read through the whole thread so this may have been mentioned already. This is not a hate thing but i always find it funny when searching in a group, that Magellan users almost always walk right past ground zero when searching for a cache. I've seen them walk past 50 feet or more before the unit's arrow finally turned around to guide them properly. Was told that it has something to do with how slow the unit updated and this seems to make sense. The newer models may have better performance so it may be a non issue these days.

Other than that, i think it's mainly a matter of preference, as both companies put out good products...

I bought my first Maggie back in 2002. It was a Magellan Companion for use with my Palm m515. I got immediate response from the company when I ordered it, and very fast rebate. My son bought a Gamin Legend a few months later. At that time there weren't very many good GPSr's on the market (unless you were filthy rich or owned some sort of surveying, mapping, or government aided company). I loved my Companion (still do), and my son loved his Legend (he still does). About a year later I bought a Maggie Platinum. The reason I made the choice had nothing to do with customer service, it had to do with it being one of the few with a larger screen (I have to admit, I'm older and need a larger screen), memory card capability (very few receivers at the time that had that), and buttons on the front instead of the side. WAAS was just beginning to be a requirement, as was uploading of waypoints. I had played with my sons Legend, and although a great unit, I was not comfortable with the buttons on the side. Hence a lot of other units with buttons on the front at the time were ruled out.

Since then every one had larger screens (although Magellan seems to be sliding backward on that item with their Explorists units), buttons on the front, memory card capabilites, color screens, uploadable waypoints, and all of the other things that Magellan put into their Meridian series. 5 years later and the market is overflowing with choices and options. I do still consider getting a Meridian Color since they are still out there to be purchased. I have though, bought myself a Garmin Map60CS, a Map60SCX, and most recently a Wintec WBT-201 for use with my Bluetooth enabled Palm TX and laptop.

I'm still a true Magellan believer, even though I do own other units than Maggie. But I'm also a true Ford fan, even though I drive a Jeep and Dodge 4x4 PU. It comes down to personal preference, availability, price, and ease of use. 5 or 10 years from now, who knows, Garmin might be suffering the same fate that Magellan is suffering now.

Why argue about a simple paper problem...and what do you care if Knight did write the BBB egami? Do you fear they'll come out and shut Thales down because they aren't supplying a manual?

Too late. Thales doesn't exist anymore.

Well..... Thales has about 60 000 employees, so they very much exists. They sold the Thales Navigation part (Magellan consumer and Thales pro equipment).

There is also a communication problem because they are a company in Europe and I'm in Michigan. I can't understand them and they can't understand me. It's not there fault that there is a language barrier but it would help if they had someone there that could speak english. I couldn't image communicatating with them if I was from the south with a southern accent. It took 5 minutes of repeating my phone # and address before they got it, (a is in apple b as in boy ect.)

I can't say where their support center is located, but I can assure you that Magellan is not a Eurpopean company. I used to work for Thales and they are just a parent company. The division I worked for was a US defence contractor and, like Magellan, it was simply owned by Thales which is a French company. However, Thales has sold Magellan off to an investment group so it is an independant entity again.

I actually worked on a GPS receiver for military use and looked at a number of GPS suppliers including Magellan. All of the contacts I had for them were in the US. Oddly enough, even though I worked for the same parent company, it was not easy to get any real info from them. In the end we found that they were not pushing very hard in the commercial/defence market and their board level products had not been updated for a while. So my experience with their contacts was not very good either. In fact, my Merigold has just died and I am now trying to get info from CS on the repair cost. I found in the forums that others have been told it is $180 fixed fee.

We ended up choosing a module from Fastrax with uBlox being a very close second. Both of these companies are leading edge and have technology that is very low power and also very sensitive. SiRF is also in the same catagory, but they only provide chips and not modules so we did not consider them. Mostly this stuff is used in cell phones. Cell phone companies sell many millions of units with GPSrs every year compared to how many end user GPSrs that are sold?

I own the Magellan Sportrak Pro and love it. But I have had problems with customer support. I had a broken face plate and asked if I could buy a new one and install it myself. Void the warenty...who cares? It's already beyond warenty. But they would not sell me the part but insisted I send it in for repair ($50) I made a new faceplate myself and seald it up just fine.

I just recently broke the battery holder. Same story. Send it in for repair but will not sell me the $2 part. ($60 this time) I fixed it myself. Fotrunately I can do these things. But let's face it, customer service stinks.

But the unit itself is great. I have proven its accuracy down to perfection with a surveyor-installed monument. And its huge on-board memory lets me download many states at once.

However, listening to all points of view, this year at the Geo Jamboree we will be giving away a Garmin and not the usual Magellan.

Edited by CT A-Team

I didn't read through the whole thread so this may have been mentioned already. This is not a hate thing but i always find it funny when searching in a group, that Magellan users almost always walk right past ground zero when searching for a cache. I've seen them walk past 50 feet or more before the unit's arrow finally turned around to guide them properly. Was told that it has something to do with how slow the unit updated and this seems to make sense. The newer models may have better performance so it may be a non issue these days.

Other than that, i think it's mainly a matter of preference, as both companies put out good products...

I can attest to that! I have walked down a trail as much as 80 feet before the "compass" started turning. It even led me a 400 feet curve through woods when the direct route from the path was maybe 150 feet! But now that I know this is an issue, I just start giving it time to settle once I get near 100 feet. It actually gets me right on top of the location now.

The cause is not likely to be the update rate per-se. That is usually once per second. But most GPSrs do some filtering of the position data by averaging. This may delay the changes in direction that you should see as you approach the waypoint. The purpose of this filtering is to reduce the jitter you would otherwise see due to the unavoidable error in the GPS calculations. Remember that the satellites are wizzing at huge speeds relative to your location. So every measurement the GPS takes is a whole new set of numbers. With a 10 foot EPE you would expect to see the signal jump around anywhere in that 10 foot radius circle (or even larger since this circle only includes 50% of the measurements on average). All units filter the postion data to some extent. It is just a question of where you draw the line.

I've had for many many years 2 Magellans that I use almost constantly. My very first exposure to GPS was a Magellan Companion that connects directly to my Palm m515. This was a great inovation way back when. In conjuction with the Magellan Nav Comp, Cetus GPS, CacheMate and CacheNav, and Delorme XMap software installed on the Palm, I have pretty much all the features of a modern hand held GPSr, except a bit clunky. I had so much luck with the Magellan Companion I soon upgraded to the Meridian Platinum. At the time it was pretty much the only hand held that allowed the use of SD cards for map and waypoint storage. Something even today's new units can't seem to muster very well. I still use the Palm based Companion and the Platinum, mostly the Platinum. In my truck it's the primary GPSr. But then color screens started coming on the market (granted my Palm m515 had a color screen, but as previously mentioned, it was a bit clunky to operate and handle, and had no decent means of resting on my dash), and I wanted a color screen. I would have stayed with Magellan if they had any decent units. The Meridian Color had come out, but it was evident very soon that Magellan had no intentions of standing behind their product line. They started listing all of the Meridians (Marine, Color, and Platinum) as legacy units. I looked at the Magellan Explorist units, but they were too small, too pricy, and again it appeared as if Magellan wasn't really standing behind their product lines. By the times some of those units hit the market, they were already being taken off the Magellan line up. If it's one thing that most GPS consumers want, it's a degree of loyalty from the GPS manufacturer. So I was forced to look at Garmin. I'm not going to say that making the move to Garmin was a bad move. I bought a GPSMap60cs and I'm very pleased with it. The unit had been around a bit and although it didn't have any of the expanded memory options the Magellans had, it had color and seemed to be hanging in there as far as the manufacturer and the end users. I wanted another hand held, and once again looked at Magellan. Again they didn't seem to have any real clear devotion to any one line of hand helds. Back to Garmin. This time I bought the GPSMap60scx. I liked the 60cs so well, and with the expanded memory option, I thought it would replace my Platinum. Not till I brought it home and started using it did I find that the SD card is for maps, and maps only. No waypoint, track, or routing storage (although I have since found I can use the POI loader to load waypoints as POI's). I've purchsed several other GPS receivers since the 60csx, but they are more loggers and blue tooth transmitters for the Palms I use (I still use my m515 and have added a Palm T|X with Delorme maps to my collection). Magellan has definitely had a problem with customer service and unit loyalty. Garmin on the other hand has greatly exceled at unit loyalty and customer service. I still use my Platinum, whenever I go geocaching, hiking or bike riding. I love the unit, and I fear for the day it bites the dust. I get great lock in the woods, often times gets me closer to a cache than either of the Garmins, and I truly love the expanded storage capabilities.

I'm a contradiction, I'm a devoted Magellan user, but I recommend Garmin to newbies.

i owned an explorist210 for less than a year and it froze up when i tried to update using their web site. after going round and round with tech support they finaly told me to just send it to them and they would send me a new triton300 for free. well cool but all the reviews i have read on the tritons scare me. i am thinking i will sell the triton as soon as it gets here (if it ever does, been a week now) and buy a garmin gpsmap 60cx.