Inexpensive Lowrance iFinder Pro, Go, Go2 data cable

I bought a Lowrance ifinder Go GPS new from EBay for $56.00. It's a nice, cheap backup for my IFinder H2O with topo maps.

There is a discussion in the GPS Units and Software forums detailing how to upload waypoints to this GPS and the IFinder Go2, located here

Unfortunately, the Lowrance made PC-D15 Serial PC data cable is quite expensive. It retails for $34.95. Tigergps.com sells it for $28.74. I think it's silly that the data cable cost is half what the GPS sells for.

Using publicly available information on the internet HERE, I built my own data cable, which allows me to upload waypoints to the GO.

See an image of the connector I devised below.

ifindercable.JPG

I did this by creating a small circuit board using home hobbyist etching techniques. The springy contacts were created by carefully disassembling the internal contacts from a $3.00 card edge connector. One connector yields 44 of these contacts if they all come out correctly. (some did not until I figured out a method of extracting them reliably). Etching the circuit board takes the longest amount of time, waiting for the acid to remove the unwanted copper material to leave the four traces where the cable gets connected and the spring loaded contacts are soldered on. I can do approximately 12 of those little cable ends from one blank circuit board.

Is anyone else interested in an inexpensive, hand made data cable?

I'm not interested in making dozens of these, and I'm not out to make money off of this.

I see a lot of forum posts from folks on tight budgets who would like to try the sport, but can't afford the more expensive GPS models. Still others are, like me, interested in a backup GPS to loan to friends and family but still want waypoint upload capability.

I would be willing to make up some of these and sell them to forum members for $8.00 each, or maybe in trade for a Geocoin. That about covers the cost of purchasing the PC serial connector, cable, and materials to make the special connector. I would be willing to make 2 or 3 cables here and there during the weekend and as demand/interest dictates. They would be six feet long and have a connector as shown in the photo above. Otherwise, the cable would be functionally equivalent to the PC-D15 cable from Lowrance. You can use it to upload waypoints to the IFinder Pro, IFinder Go, and IFinder Go. You can also use it to receive NMEA positional data from the GPSrs listed above.

Send me a private message if you're interested. If I get a LOT of interest, I'll make the cables on a first come, first served basis.

I bought a Lowrance ifinder Go GPS new from EBay for $56.00. It's a nice, cheap backup for my IFinder H2O with topo maps.

There is a discussion in the GPS Units and Software forums detailing how to upload waypoints to this GPS and the IFinder Go2, located here

Unfortunately, the Lowrance made PC-D15 Serial PC data cable is quite expensive. It retails for $34.95. Tigergps.com sells it for $28.74. I think it's silly that the data cable cost is half what the GPS sells for.

Using publicly available information on the internet HERE, I built my own data cable, which allows me to upload waypoints to the GO.

See an image of the connector I devised below.

ifindercable.JPG

I did this by creating a small circuit board using home hobbyist etching techniques. The springy contacts were created by carefully disassembling the internal contacts from a $3.00 card edge connector. One connector yields 44 of these contacts if they all come out correctly. (some did not until I figured out a method of extracting them reliably). Etching the circuit board takes the longest amount of time, waiting for the acid to remove the unwanted copper material to leave the four traces where the cable gets connected and the spring loaded contacts are soldered on. I can do approximately 12 of those little cable ends from one blank circuit board.

Is anyone else interested in an inexpensive, hand made data cable?

I'm not interested in making dozens of these, and I'm not out to make money off of this.

I see a lot of forum posts from folks on tight budgets who would like to try the sport, but can't afford the more expensive GPS models. Still others are, like me, interested in a backup GPS to loan to friends and family but still want waypoint upload capability.

I would be willing to make up some of these and sell them to forum members for $8.00 each, or maybe in trade for a Geocoin. That about covers the cost of purchasing the PC serial connector, cable, and materials to make the special connector. I would be willing to make 2 or 3 cables here and there during the weekend and as demand/interest dictates. They would be six feet long and have a connector as shown in the photo above. Otherwise, the cable would be functionally equivalent to the PC-D15 cable from Lowrance. You can use it to upload waypoints to the IFinder Pro, IFinder Go, and IFinder Go. You can also use it to receive NMEA positional data from the GPSrs listed above.

Send me a private message if you're interested. If I get a LOT of interest, I'll make the cables on a first come, first served basis.

I haven't made the cables in some time, because many other things took me away from Geocaching.

I may still have some of the parts lying around. If you find yourself in desperate need of a cable, with nowhere else to turn, I'll see what I can do. It may take me a few weeks to find the time to put one together.

hi i was woundering if you still make these as just bought go2 and not sure where to get cables from in uk

thanks