Geocache at Disney World

AJAX 6

Do you think that you could get away with geocache'ing a geocoin inside a Disney World park or Disney World resort? I'm interested in trying it out but want some opinions on how to do it since this would be my first placement of a Geocache.

Thanks in advance!

There was a cache at Disneyland in Anaheim, CA. It was a micro placed across from a place where they take photos of kids posing with The Little Mermaid and it was really difficult to retrieve and replace with all the muggles around.

I think it was about two or three years ago when I found it and I am pretty sure it has been archived. I don't think Disney approves of geocaches on their property. They are very security conscious; in fact there are probably no places in any of the parks that are not under constant surveilance.

My suggestion is place the caches outside the park.

Quoth the guidelines... http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Commercial Caches

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services. If the finder is required to go inside the business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, then the cache is presumed to be commercial.

Umm....the resorts don't require an entrance fee and neither does Downtown Disney. Next issue.

Commercial Caches

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services. If the finder is required to go inside the business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, then the cache is presumed to be commercial.

Umm....the resorts don't require an entrance fee and neither does Downtown Disney. Next issue.

Commercial Caches

Umm...since you need permission to place a geocache on private property, and there's no way Disney would grant permission after what happened at Disneyland, I don't think you could "get away with it".

There used to be caches at both the Florida and California complexes. Some time back, one was found by a Disney employee and was reported as a possible bomb.

Well, as you can imagine, this did not sit too well with Disney, Inc.

Since no one had bothered to get permission, Disney insisted that all physical caches in their parks be removed. Which is exactly what happened.

There are some virtuals, but nothing else.

Don't even try. No reviewer would approve it, and GC would most likely not allow it. Not to mention the fit Disney Inc would throw.

Granted, the shopping venues do not charge admission, but they are still Disney property.

There used to be caches at both the Florida and California complexes. Some time back, one was found by a Disney employee and was reported as a possible bomb.

Well, as you can imagine, this did not sit too well with Disney, Inc.

Since no one had bothered to get permission, Disney insisted that all physical caches in their parks be removed. Which is exactly what happened.

There are some virtuals, but nothing else.

Don't even try. No reviewer would approve it, and GC would most likely not allow it. Not to mention the fit Disney Inc would throw.

Granted, the shopping venues do not charge admission, but they are still Disney property.

OK. There were several (I'm guessing close to 10) physical caches at Disney World in Orlando. When I was there in the summer of 2004, I found about 3 or 4 of them, didn't even get to them all, being a Disney Transportation user without a rental car.

The WDW Travel Bug Hotel, placed a couple of months later in Downtown Disney, caused a bomb scare, and ultimately led to the removal of all physical caches by the spring of 2005.. You can read all the logs for that cache, and get most of the story.

So all that's left at WDW is 5 virtuals, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

No, no, no, there will be no more physical caches at WDW. :laughing: I can't speak for Disneyland.

... Don't even try. No reviewer would approve it, and GC would most likely not allow it. Not to mention the fit Disney Inc would throw. ...
Speaking as the Florida reviewer I can give you a clear no on physical caches on Disney property. Disney contacted Groundspeak with a request that there be no physical caches on their properties. And entrance fee or no, they're all commercial.
Of course, if someone has an 'in' and could get permission, Jeremy is on record stating that the cache would be listed.

They are very security conscious; in fact there are probably no places in any of the parks that are not under constant surveilance.

That's just an old myth. As a teenager I did some pretty stupid stuff with a friend at the Anaheim Disney, just to see if this was true. Specifically, we ran along the train tracks, then climbed over the tunnel that the train runs through and watched workers mill about in one of the back-stage areas in Tomorrowland. What else is there to do when you've gone on all the rides? Well, okay, maybe not, but I sure was a stupid kid. That's one of those memories that make my skin crawl, and I'm thinking, "Why the heck did I do that?!"

Edited by nonaeroterraqueous

They are very security conscious; in fact there are probably no places in any of the parks that are not under constant surveilance.

That's just an old myth. As a teenager I did some pretty stupid stuff with a friend at the Anaheim Disney, just to see if this was true. Specifically, we ran along the train tracks, then climbed over the tunnel that the train runs through and watched workers mill about in one of the back-stage areas in Tomorrowland. What else is there to do when you've gone on all the rides? Well, okay, maybe not, but I sure was a stupid kid. That's one of those memories that make my skin crawl, and I'm thinking, "Why the heck did I do that?!"

Just curious..... how long ago did you do that? Disneyland has been around for a long time, and I am sure that way back then, security wasn't near as tight as it is now.

As far as age.... I visited it when I was 12..... and that was in 69.

Hmm... when did Anaheim Disneyland open?

On a different note... we also visited Knott's Berry Farm when you could actually ride donkeys on a guided ride in their "backcountry" and also pan for gold. Yes, that was in 1969 also. That was a fun park back then! Now it pretty much looks like any of the other big theme parks.

Yes, there are virtuals in every Disney park. I just went down there on vacation recently.

There are...

MGM Studio

EPCOT

Animal Kingdom

Magic Kingdom

Then there are also a couple more located within Disney (I never went after them):

That's Some Water, Eh? - TDR3v

Crockett's Wilderness Adventure

There may be more, but this is all I know of.

The park ones don't really need a gps to find them.

Yes, there are virtuals in every Disney park. I just went down there on vacation recently.

There are...

MGM Studio

EPCOT

Animal Kingdom

Magic Kingdom

Then there are also a couple more located within Disney (I never went after them):

That's Some Water, Eh? - TDR3v

Crockett's Wilderness Adventure

There may be more, but this is all I know of.

The park ones don't really need a gps to find them.

I'll go with that. I said 5 earlier in the thread, but I stand corrected and will say 6. The first three are owned by the same guy, who has obviously had to deal with thousands of confirmation emails over the years. :laughing:

On a different note... we also visited Knott's Berry Farm when you could actually ride donkeys on a guided ride in their "backcountry" and also pan for gold. Yes, that was in 1969 also. That was a fun park back then! Now it pretty much looks like any of the other big theme parks.

Off-topic -> You can still pan for gold at Knott's Berry Farm. img99.jpg

The only way I can see to do a new hide at a Theme Park would be to start a multi in the park, with some kind of info gathering step - count the ??? and find the number on the ??? Than use the info to solve for coordinates outside the Theme Park for the container and log book. Maybe do the final in a local city park or rest area or wherever. I'm not a reviewer, but I bet that would pass. Suggest the info gathering not really require a GPS with good discription of what to look for.

That said, it would need to be in a free (like the shopping) area. I'd ask my reviewer first.

That said, one of the reasons I geocache is to see interesting places that I would not have known about. I don't need to go cache at Disney cause I already know about that - plus the entertainment is already provided there. Same with the Walmart parking lot... not a great caching spot.

There are so many other cool places to take people too - why go to a theme park?

That said, one of the reasons I geocache is to see interesting places that I would not have known about. I don't need to go cache at Disney cause I already know about that ...
One of the great things about the Disney theme parks is that there is a ton of things that you would never notice as a guest. When these things are pointed out to me, they enhance my visit. I hope that my Disneyland virt is like this. Many people who have logged it sppear to think so. These very items within the theme parks would appear to meet your given reason for geocaching.
plus the entertainment is already provided there. ... not a great caching spot.
Interesting point. Of course, most of the parks that we cache in already exist to provide our entertainment. I guess we don't need caches in those, either.
There are so many other cool places to take people too - why go to a theme park?
:unsure: Ummm, many people think that theme parks ARE cool places to take people to.

There are about 200 waymarks listed at or very close to Disney World. About 1/3 of those 200 are Disney benchmarks, which may not be everyone's cup of tea. I currently have 41 waymarks created at WDW. For most of them I tried to add some interesting info about what I waymarked to at least make it somewhat interesting, like a virtual. And, they can easily be created with no need for permission if you want to create some of your own. I know, I know, they're not the same as virtuals, but I'm just trying to offer up an alternative. :unsure:

There are about 200 waymarks listed at or very close to Disney World. About 1/3 of those 200 are Disney benchmarks, which may not be everyone's cup of tea. I currently have 41 waymarks created at WDW. For most of them I tried to add some interesting info about what I waymarked to at least make it somewhat interesting, like a virtual. And, they can easily be created with no need for permission if you want to create some of your own. I know, I know, they're not the same as virtuals, but I'm just trying to offer up an alternative. :unsure:
I like that the Waymarking alternative exists, but it should be noted that Waymarking is a different game. Many people aren't interested in taking on a new game, at this time. I realize that this leaves them with no new Disney caches, unless someone can get permission to hide one.