Narrowed it down to 2...I think

phillipderstein

Hi everyone,

Looking for my first GPS.

I've spent countless hours and sacrificed much needed sleep reading the forums on these two which I have narrowed down to based on price and features.

I'm drawn to the GPSMAP60 because of its "quad helix" antenna which I understand works better under forest canopies. It also has autorouting which I could definately use from time to time...

I am also drawn to the iFinderH2O which seems to provide the most features for the price with the plus version.

Both have the larger display that I am looking for.

Both come from reputable manufacturers.

So without going into more painfull detail of my "plus columns" comparison...

What I would really like to know (hopefully from owners of each) is what DONT you like about each of these units.

Heavy sigh...

Tomorrow I'll probably find something I like about Magellans !

a weary tired Phil

GPSMAP60 :ph34r: iFinderH2O

You don't mention what price range you have found for those units . . .

From what I have heard, the Lowrance units are good, and have lots of features for the price.

I'm familiar with the Garmin GPSMap 60C, CS, and CSx. I'm not sure what features the 60 has.

Personally, I like the smaller size of the Venture Cx, Legend Cx, or Vista Cx, but those might be out of your price range.

Magellan has been known for terrible Customer Support, should you need it . . .

Garmin has excellent Customer Support. :ph34r:

You don't mention what price range you have found for those units . . .

From what I have heard, the Lowrance units are good, and have lots of features for the price.

I'm familiar with the Garmin GPSMap 60C, CS, and CSx. I'm not sure what features the 60 has.

Personally, I like the smaller size of the Venture Cx, Legend Cx, or Vista Cx, but those might be out of your price range.

Magellan has been known for terrible Customer Support, should you need it . . .

Garmin has excellent Customer Support. :ph34r:

The GPSMAP60 I can get for $250

The iFinderH2O I can get for $269

I realize one can get these for lower prices elsewhere but I have accumulated "Cabelas Cash" which allows me to justify the purchase.

This noob is at the mercy of the moderator if I can mention "Cabelas Cash" or not

Phil

Is that the GSPMap60 and not the GPSMap 60C?

I don't think I would get the monochrome 60. That is pretty old technology.

For $250, you should be able to get a Garmin Venture Cx and have money left over to put towards the City Navigator maps and auto-navigation kit, if Cabelas carries those items.

Don't even consider the GPSMap 60 - it is B&W and not very expanable. Somewhat better antenna but not worth the price.

The Lowrance unit gets favorable comments by many - I have only seem them and not used one myself. I have seen a few complaints about the interface - but praise for other features and the included mapping tools.

Take a look at the Venture Cx from Garmin - can be had for about $180. Color screen, sd slot for more memory, auto routing, longer battery life, very rugged and easy to use.

Save your Cabelas bucks for something else - you can save 20 - 30% buying any of these units elsewhere.

Is that the GSPMap60 and not the GPSMap 60C?

Yes it is the newer GPSMAP60.

I understand that the GPSMAP60C is discontinued.

Throw in 100 bucks more and get a 60CX ! The 60 at 250USD, it is 250USD wasted !

I never leave home without my 60CX, on the road, in the wood, by car, bicycle or foot !

Even at home you won't get lost as it can tell you in which room you are ! :laughing:

I'm really new to this, but test drove a 60CSx, which was admittedly good. But I decided it was too big for me and didn't care for the rocker switch (I'm female and have fingernails so the rocker pad just doesn't work that well if you have longer nails). I was in the Bass Pro Shop and played with a Garmin eTrex Vista CX and really, really like the form factor, button location and LOVE the joy stick. My nails are no longer a problem, I can be a bit more inconspicuous since it fits in my hand better. I understand it doesn't have the SiRF III chipset, but was surprised to see I could still get a satellite signal in my bedroom on the top floor of the house (attic overhead).

I didn't know if the compass and altimeter were really that important to me, but can tell you that now that I have them, I am definitely using the compass. Haven't used the altimeter, though, and doubt I ever will. But the compass is nice for reassurance that you are, in fact, going the right way. And compass is good for when you are really close.

I'm looking forward to putting the Vista CX through its paces once the trees have filled in. I'm optimistic since I got satellite lock in the house.

Anyway, that was a really long answer to say I don't like the rocker pad on the 60 CSx, and that if you are still open other units I am 2nd (or third??) the recommendation on the eTrex Vista, Legend or Venture.

I can't speak to the other unit at all.

Edited by French.
I'm drawn to the GPSMAP60 because of its "quad helix" antenna which I understand works better under forest canopies

That is nonsense. In fact the Lowrance will get much better reception under trees than the Map 60. I've compared units side by side with the H20 and it had far better reception than a Map 60CS, a Magellan Meridian Gold, a Garmin Vista and a Garmin Geko 201.

That better be for the H20 Plus package, otherwise it's a total ripoff. You shouldn't pay more than about $145 for the H20.

The H20 is an excellent unit. The user interface is a bit clunky and it doesn't autoroute. Those are the negatives.

I guess you need to think about what features are important to you. Here are some strengths of each:

Expandible map memory - advantage H20 (Map 60 only has 24 megs fixed memory)

Price - advantage H20

Autorouting - advantage Map 60 (H20 doesn't)

User interface/ease of use - advantage Map 60

Reception - advantage H20

Screen resolution (readability) - Slight advantage H20

Waypoint capacity - advantage H20

PC connectivity - advantage Map 60 (H20 reauires a card reader and you need to remove the batteries to get at the SD card)

Battery life - advantage Map 60

Durability - advantage Map 60

That better be for the H20 Plus package, otherwise it's a total ripoff. You shouldn't pay more than about $145 for the H20.

Yes that was for the H20 Plus Package with included the GPS, mapping software, SD card, and card reader.

Thank you very much for the comparisons and the fact that this "quad-helix antenna" is not necessarily all its reportedly cracked up to be with respect to reception under forest canopy.

I have had the opportunity to borrow a coworkers Garmin Legend which was very easy to use and worked pretty good but it would loose satilite reception from time to time even with the WAAS enabled.

I played around with the Lowrance iFinder H2O Emulator which you can download from their web sit last night and did not have any problem getting arround without reading the manual.

What I really need to do is go to a sporting goods store that caries both, hold one in each hand etc..., etc...

I have a Lowrance I Finder Hunt and just love it. A buddy at work bought a H2O color screen and it is just too cool. I bought my first GPSr at REI…. yea, paid way too much, but just had to have one now…didn’t want to wait. Anyway, it was a Garmin Vista. I used it about a week, then returned it and traded up to the Lowrance Hunt. What a difference. Better reception, better screen, larger screen, more memory, water resistant and expandable SD card. Yes, it does not plug directly into my computer, have to use the card reader but after using it a bit that makes little difference. It has a port to plug in a external antenna which I only really need when in deep woods. I also got the Map Create USA Topo mapping system on CD’s. Using the map window is when the larger screen pays off. And my buddy’s H2O color screen with the Topo is even better. My Hunt is about 3 years old now but is way accurate and easy to use. It’s a bit larger and heavier, but I wouldn’t trade it in on any thing else…..except a color screen version.

Thank you very much for the comparisons and the fact that this "quad-helix antenna" is not necessarily all its reportedly cracked up to be with respect to reception under forest canopy.

That misperception basically stems from the older eTrex units which are very sensitive to position. If not held flat, face up to the sky under trees they would lose lock sometimes. People long attributed that to the patch antenna.

The Lowrance units, newer Garmin eTrex units and the Magellan eXplorist all use a patch antenna and have excellent reception.

The patch and quad have different strengths and weaknesses, but neither is better than the other. The patch is better at picking up sats overhead, while the quad is better at picking up sats lower on the horizon.