Skirt Lifters - Luv'em or Hate'em

I've never had a problem with ticks on the cache page. My issue is with ticks out in the woods.
It's a good thing that the tick attribute can't jump off the screen. :sad:
I'll say.

In all seriousness, around here pretty much every cache that's not in a parking lot will subject you to ticks and chiggers. I kinda think that less people use the tick attribute for this very reason.

I use those attributes for heavily infested areas. But I really wish there was a cache in a parking lot attribute.... ;)

732db879-463a-48fa-ac41-9ea4b42b7ab7.jpg

I've never had a problem with ticks on the cache page. My issue is with ticks out in the woods.
It's a good thing that the tick attribute can't jump off the screen. :sad:
I'll say.

In all seriousness, around here pretty much every cache that's not in a parking lot will subject you to ticks and chiggers. I kinda think that less people use the tick attribute for this very reason.

I use those attributes for heavily infested areas. But I really wish there was a cache in a parking lot attribute.... ;)

732db879-463a-48fa-ac41-9ea4b42b7ab7.jpg

I suspect that people would confuse it with 'parking nearby' (and vice versa).

Then there are the ELPC's (Evil Lamp Post Caches) where the micro is magnetized to the skirt so you have to feel around for the prize.

Wait, what does this have to do with caching again? ;):sad:

What??? Feeling around inside a skirt for a prize??? Heck, count me in!!!

We have Black Widows out here..... ;)
Then there are the ELPC's (Evil Lamp Post Caches) where the micro is magnetized to the skirt so you have to feel around for the prize.

Wait, what does this have to do with caching again? ;):sad:

Agreed. I still am missing a chunk of meat from my finger due to a go around with a brown recluse over two years ago.

Look first.

Wait, what does this have to do with caching again? :huh:;)

We have Black Widows out here..... :sad:
Agreed. I still am missing a chunk of meat from my finger due to a go around with a brown recluse over two years ago.

Look first.

I am so glad that we don't have those out here... ;)

Wait, what does this have to do with caching again? ;):huh:

Look first.

I am so glad that we don't have those out here... :sad:

FINALLY!!!! Something everyone can agree on!

Wait, what does this have to do with caching again? :sad::huh:

Look first.

I am so glad that we don't have those out here... ;)

FINALLY!!!! Something everyone can agree on!

;)

I'll admit to being one of the "Cool first time, boring after that" crowd. However, I did just hide one.

The local FTF crew around here had been complaining about all of the dirt, ants, and various crud getting all over (and inside) caches in our area after all the rains. Then recently, a new dry cleaning place opened up with a big sign out front with it's name... "CACHE CLEANERS". I kid you not. There wasn't any other good place to put one nearby, but I just HAD to bring the locals to this spot. Could have done a virtual in the old days, but an LPC did the trick. I'm not proud of it, but it made them all laugh!

The first LPC I found had me scratching my head. Actually got in the car to leave, and then wondered: Is that box attached or just a bezel? While I enjoyed the find, I did NOT enjoy the feeling of exposure, and the near certain knowledge that no permission had been requested or provided to place it on this private space. I don't like any cache where stealth is a necessity. How does this benefit the image of our game?

Having stated this, I have found a small number of other LPCs among my first finds (currently a noob at 62). What bothers me is: if the cache listing doesn't indicate that its a "parking lot cache" or a skirt lifter or whatever, and if I'm not familiar with the area, I end up wasting my time to navigate there. Two caches I tried to grab after work today turned out to be (unannounced) skirt lifters, and these were of the worst variety: the magnetic kind, and totally exposed to onlookers. I left without logging the finds. If some onlooker saw me, then I'd get blamed for somehow revealing the (poorly thought out) cache to muggles. Geesh.

I am a proud newbie, and I give an emphatic thumbs down to this type of cache.

If I think a lame cat isn't as good as a healthy cat, are you going to give me another icecream analogy?

Daisy, a lame mountain lion, is one of the favorites of visitors to Shambala wild animal refuge

And we're all happy that Daisy is lame, because that's our preference. We would never stoop to say something so opinionated as though it would be better if daisy were not actually lame. You like lame cats, and I like diabetic cats with eating disorders. It is just like our preference for certain flavors of icecream, isn't it?

I wonder if anyone reading this has ever placed an LPC?
While some I've pondered placing do not have a parking lot but are on the side of the road I'm hesitant because of the attitude towards them. The locations are nice for photography I think because the views are outstanding. Using anything larger than a micro would be pushing it and difficult to hide for the locations. One we've recently adopted takes one to a parking lot of a small park but it is a nice little one that we wouldn't have known existed otherwise.
I'd like to think I learn a little lesson with each hide. Right now, when I enter a place a cache hide location, I attempt put myself in the mindset of a cacher seeing the area for the first time. Sometimes there's one hiding place that is completely obvious (such as a lamp post, a UPR or a UPS) and you just sigh, put your GPSr away, and walk right over to it.

This would be the place where the decoy goes with a nice note of encouragement inside. If there is one huge opportunity that a lamp post skirt presents, it is this. It is the default location, the expected, and the norm all wrapped into one.

Then.. I'll test my hiding skill and try to find a place within the same coordinate tolerance to hide the cache.

Around here, that 'coordinate tolerance' is something like six feet. Good luck finding another location within six feet of the light pole.
I think you must have a better GPSr than I do. I usually get within 20' and put my nose to the ground. I've been in some areas where an LPC is just assumed even if is within 30' of GZ because you figure that the typical LPC hider is not going to "waste time" averaging their coords for better accuracy.
So, basically you are willing to place caches with sloppy coordinates because there is already built-in error? That increases the fun in what way?

I always make the coords as accurate as possible to the actual cache but there's often a big pink elephant of a hiding spot near enough that can be used for decoys. LPCs are a natural for this, as I said.

I'll admit to being one of the "Cool first time, boring after that" crowd. However, I did just hide one.

The local FTF crew around here had been complaining about all of the dirt, ants, and various crud getting all over (and inside) caches in our area after all the rains. Then recently, a new dry cleaning place opened up with a big sign out front with it's name... "CACHE CLEANERS". I kid you not. There wasn't any other good place to put one nearby, but I just HAD to bring the locals to this spot. Could have done a virtual in the old days, but an LPC did the trick. I'm not proud of it, but it made them all laugh!

That's a very good exception. There is a reason to bring cachers the location.

The first LPC I found had me scratching my head. Actually got in the car to leave, and then wondered: Is that box attached or just a bezel? While I enjoyed the find, I did NOT enjoy the feeling of exposure, and the near certain knowledge that no permission had been requested or provided to place it on this private space. I don't like any cache where stealth is a necessity. How does this benefit the image of our game?

Having stated this, I have found a small number of other LPCs among my first finds (currently a noob at 62). What bothers me is: if the cache listing doesn't indicate that its a "parking lot cache" or a skirt lifter or whatever, and if I'm not familiar with the area, I end up wasting my time to navigate there. Two caches I tried to grab after work today turned out to be (unannounced) skirt lifters, and these were of the worst variety: the magnetic kind, and totally exposed to onlookers. I left without logging the finds. If some onlooker saw me, then I'd get blamed for somehow revealing the (poorly thought out) cache to muggles. Geesh.

I have two thoughts regarding your post. First, I'm not sure how you can be certain that the cache didn't have adequate permission. Second, the things that you listed as not liking about these caches are the very things that others really like about them. Believe it or not, LPCs can be found without exposing the cache.

Ding Ding Ding!! We have a winner. :anitongue: If you feel this way, you're doing the right thing, avoid them. And don't worry, you'll get good at weeding them out. That is parking lot caches, that require you to exhibit bizarre behavior in public. Not necessarily if it's an LPC or not. To me (and many) stealth is a radar-invisible bomber, used by the U.S. Air Force. :laughing:

I download groups and proceed from one to the next closest. One may be a 2 mile hike followed by a LPC.

They're not my favorite but I don't mind two or three in a days caching. There can be wrinckles........a couple of days ago I picked up a skirt to find about 30- 35 mm stacked in there <_<

That said, I don't think theres a lot you can do to liven them up.

I have two thoughts regarding your post. First, I'm not sure how you can be certain that the cache didn't have adequate permission. Second, the things that you listed as not liking about these caches are the very things that others really like about them. Believe it or not, LPCs can be found without exposing the cache.

1. I can't prove the owner of this particular cache didn't have permission for the placement, but I am entitled to an opinion. In a big box store parking lot, whose permission do you need? The store's, the land owner/developer, both? In many cases, it can be difficult to determine. Perhaps I'm 100% wrong, but if *I* were a manager of this type of store, I wouldn't grant permission, even understanding what geocaching is. Why? I'd get tired of people reporting the suspicious person who was messing with my lamppost. I'd get tired of finding the access panel laying on the ground next to the post (no lie: someone had actually removed the access cover at the first LPC I found, and it was laying on the ground. Can I *prove* it was a cacher? No, but I believe it's a reasonable conclusion to draw. If I were the owner of a small business, with it's own parking area that I could monitor, things might be different; but then, that would be a different type of cache.

2. The harder/more often we try to be stealthy, the more likely we are to be perceived as "suspicious". The best encounter with a LEO or suspicious bystander is the one avoided. Every encounter of this type, regardless of the outcome, is bad for geocaching. The slippery slope leads to bans in public areas. If you dig the stealth part, maybe you should be playing the squirt gun assassination game instead. <_<

Edited by skysensor
1. I can't prove the owner of this particular cache didn't have permission for the placement, but I am entitled to an opinion.
No one is saying that you can't have your opinion, but your personal opinion has nothing to do with whether a particular cache was placed with or without permission. For all you know, the cache owner owns the parking lot in question.
2. The harder/more often we try to be stealthy, the more likely we are to be perceived as "suspicious".
Sometimes being stealthy just means acting normally and not behaving like your guilty of doing something wrong. Since, in my opinion, geocaching is a normal activity and I'm not doing anything wrong in partaking of same, this is easy for me to accomplish.

Also, the most important part of being stealthy is to not allow the actual retrieval and replacement to be seen. In a parking lot, this is quite easy since I can park right next to the light pole and shield the action with my Jeep.

The best encounter with a LEO or suspicious bystander is the one avoided. Every encounter of this type, regardless of the outcome, is bad for geocaching. The slippery slope leads to bans in public areas.
I'm pretty outspoken about the need to not alert muggles to the location of any caches. Just because I enjoy the occasional LPC doesn't mean that I am giving away any cache locations. BTW, a quick search will show you that most geocachers have had some sort of LEO or muggle contact while geocaching. The sky has yet to fall. Clearly, you would be much happier if you stuck to caches hidden deep in the woods.
If you dig the stealth part, maybe you should be playing the squirt gun assassination game instead. <_<
Whatever. Many would consider your statement to be a personal attack. Am I now allowed to return in kind?
If you dig the stealth part, maybe you should be playing the squirt gun assassination game instead. <_<
Whatever. Many would consider your statement to be a personal attack. Am I now allowed to return in kind?

Whatever. The smilie was supposed to denote "tongue firmly in cheek". Many of those who enjoy the squirt gun assassination game could consider *your* reaction to be a personal attack. Can't we just agree to disagree?

Whatever. The smilie was supposed to denote "tongue firmly in cheek". Many of those who enjoy the squirt gun assassination game could consider *your* reaction to be a personal attack. Can't we just agree to disagree?

Agree that personal attacks are not automatically forgiven by the presense of a smiley?

Agree that personal attacks are not automatically forgiven by the presense of a smiley?

Unbelievable... **plonk**

And probably best to let it go and live and learn.

Best to get back to the non-confrontational topic of LPCs. :unsure:

(Tosses Admin Brick up and down in his hand.)

There's a non-confrontational thread on LPCs?

:blink:

I wish we could just do a simple poll (how much do you like LPCs on a scale of 1-10) without comments. That would be interesting. ;)

effort equals reward

What a concept! ;)

Sure, having a cache picked as a favorite would be nice. But I would rather place a cache appropriate to the location - a lot of times that won't be a "favorite".

If the location is not appropriate for a cache decent enough to be judged a "favorite", why in Gaia's name would you want to bring people there? Our entire planet is frothing with mediocrity. Why add geocaching to that mix? Isn't the motto of Groundspeak "The Language of Location"? :blink:

Edit to add: Since "1" is as low as the scale goes in TG's poll, put me down for that. :unsure:

Edited by Clan Riffster

Sure, having a cache picked as a favorite would be nice. But I would rather place a cache appropriate to the location - a lot of times that won't be a "favorite".

If the location is not appropriate for a cache decent enough to be judged a "favorite", why in Gaia's name would you want to bring people there? Our entire planet is frothing with mediocrity. Why add geocaching to that mix? Isn't the motto of Groundspeak "The Language of Location"? :unsure:

Wow! Are you saying every cache placed has to be a favorite? That eliminates so many of the caches around here - and not the urban ones either. How many favorite caches are ammo cans tossed behind a tree/stump/log and covered with whatever is handy? How many in small, non-descript parks are favorites? Very few caches get on favorite lists, what do we do with all the others? BTW, note that is doesn't say "The Language of Favorite Locations" or even "Great Locations"- every set of co-ords is a location, wether you like the spot or not.

Are you saying every cache placed has to be a favorite?

I think what I'm alluding to is, "effort = reward", with a dash of "carpy locations are carpy", and a hint of "why is creativity frowned upon". These are somewhat difficult concepts for many to grasp, so don't feel bad if you can't. This is a fairly unique game, played by a host of diverse individuals. Somewhere out there is a cacher who actually prefers 500 acres of stinky, sweltering, trash strewn, SUV laden blacktop to a rural waterfall. These folks are tickled pink at the prospect of a new LPC popping up in their area. :unsure:

In evaluating my own hides, I like to reflect upon the lame cache trifecta:

1. Boring location

2. Carpy container

3. Uninspired hide technique

Most LPC's that I'm aware of meet all of these criteria. While many have posted brilliantly concocted exceptions to this, they are, in my experience, exceptions. If most LPC's were like the clever exceptions that have been posted, then I doubt that LPC's would be the poster child for caching lameness.

In your earlier post, you mentioned the location as being one of the determining credentials for you, in deciding what kind of cache to hide. Hiding a cache that is appropriate to the location is one of the time honored tenants of caching, and hopefully practiced by everyone. That reasoning however, doesn't automatically exclude the application of creativity. What makes a cache a "favorite" is often the amount of creativity applied at each stage in the process.

1. Interesting location

2. Decent container

3. Creative hide technique

4. Creative write up

One of Florida's favorites is a micro hidden on a park pavilion. I've personally spent 15 hours, (including drive time), hunting for it, with nothing but DNF's for my efforts. These are fond memories that I wouldn't trade for anything. Will a film canister plopped under a Wally World lamp post kilt create fond memories that last a lifetime? I guess for some folks it will. :blink:

BTW, note that is doesn't say "The Language of Favorite Locations" or even "Great Locations"- every set of co-ords is a location, wether you like the spot or not.

True. A rodent infested, urine soaked dumpster behind a convenience store is at a particular location which can be expressed as coordinates. Do you think that's what Groundspeak had in mind when they came up with the motto? If that's the case, why do you suppose the pictures selected for display on the website never include photos of dumpsters with hide-a-keys slapped on them, or other urban swill? These hides exist. Photos of these hides are available on various cache pages. Why doesn't Groundspeak use them? Could it be they had a different thought in mind when they came up with their motto?

Best to get back to the non-confrontational topic of LPCs. :unsure:

:blink:

I wish we could just do a simple poll (how much do you like LPCs on a scale of 1-10) without comments. That would be interesting. ;)

I agree. I initially thought that this was going to be a non-confronational polling of whether individual cachers liked or did not like LPCs. Unfortunately, that quickly changed into the standard angsty thread.

... In evaluating my own hides, I like to reflect upon the lame cache trifecta:

1. Boring location

2. Carpy container

3. Uninspired hide technique ...

Rut Roh.

I thought the measure of a good container was whether it was appropriate for the location and it kept the log dry. As far as LPCs are concerned, appropriate for the location means 'small enough to fit under the skirt'. I have yet to find a wet log on an LPC, so that appears to be OK.

If all this is correct, all LPCs are at least batting a 1 out of three on your list. Sadly, that's about as good as most caches get.

True. A rodent infested, urine soaked dumpster behind a convenience store is at a particular location which can be expressed as coordinates. Do you think that's what Groundspeak had in mind when they came up with the motto? If that's the case, why do you suppose the pictures selected for display on the website never include photos of dumpsters with hide-a-keys slapped on them, or other urban swill? These hides exist. Photos of these hides are available on various cache pages. Why doesn't Groundspeak use them? Could it be they had a different thought in mind when they came up with their motto?
I suppose that this type of hide may be common in your area, but I have never encountered one in any of the areas I have cached in.

Best to get back to the non-confrontational topic of LPCs. :lol:

:lol:

I wish we could just do a simple poll (how much do you like LPCs on a scale of 1-10) without comments. That would be interesting. :laughing:

I agree. I initially thought that this was going to be a non-confronational polling of whether individual cachers liked or did not like LPCs. Unfortunately, that quickly changed into the standard angsty thread.

So what's your number....

The number I will use to rate an LPC changes - depending on the situation I'm in.

When I'm caching around home, with plenty of time and plenty of caches, my number is about a 2, and I avoid them.

When I'm caching around home, with limited time (like on a lunch hour from work for example), my number goes up to about a 5 and I'll find them if nothing else is within my time schedule, but I'd still prefer a cache that's placed somewhere neat to be.

When I'm on a business trip and no rental car, and the only caches I can find are LPCs within walking distance, my number is a 10. For me, getting out and walking to an LPC is WAY better than sitting in my hotel room bored, wishing someone had placed a cache nearby for me to find.

I know that some of you just can't comprehend the fact that someone actually can enjoy something that you can't enjoy at all, but it's true. Not every cache has to be loved by every cacher. And nobody HAS to find every cache in their area.

Skip the ones you don't like.

Since I prefer the "instant gratification" of actually finding the cache when I get to the location, I prefer an LPC over a cleverly-cammoed cache in a muggle-full area where I have to wander around doing the drunken bee dance in an attempt to find the cache. :lol:

But, that's just me. :lol:

I really don't like urban caches at all, unless I am caching with other cachers and we can attack those urban caches with a group. :laughing:

So what's your number....
I guess that it would range, depending on my mood and schedule somewhere between a 3 and an 8.

Edited to change the low end of the range from a 2 to a three after reading mushtang's post. I never actively avoid these, so perhaps a two was too low. If I am operating on the low end of my range, I merely don't go out of my way to log one.

Edited by sbell111
If LPCs are all that there were, I wouldnt have even bought a GPS. My wife and I found our first LPC on easter. Whoopee! (sarcasm). Really, I think that Geocaching should have a rule against these. They are not exciting. Literally, my gps made me turn into the parking lot, and i parked right in front of the lamppost. I imagined a little more of a hunt-i dont know why, now that i think about it, but i did. Oh well, what can you do?
Move on with your life?

Touche. and i have. we all need to complain a little. :lol:

If LPCs are all that there were, I wouldnt have even bought a GPS. My wife and I found our first LPC on easter. Whoopee! (sarcasm). Really, I think that Geocaching should have a rule against these. They are not exciting. Literally, my gps made me turn into the parking lot, and i parked right in front of the lamppost. I imagined a little more of a hunt-i dont know why, now that i think about it, but i did. Oh well, what can you do?
Move on with your life?
Touche. and i have. we all need to complain a little. :lol:
I'm with you. Truth be told, I've made similar rants in similar, old threads.
The number I will use to rate an LPC changes - depending on the situation I'm in.

When I'm caching around home, with plenty of time and plenty of caches, my number is about a 2, and I avoid them.

When I'm caching around home, with limited time (like on a lunch hour from work for example), my number goes up to about a 5 and I'll find them if nothing else is within my time schedule, but I'd still prefer a cache that's placed somewhere neat to be.

When I'm on a business trip and no rental car, and the only caches I can find are LPCs within walking distance, my number is a 10. For me, getting out and walking to an LPC is WAY better than sitting in my hotel room bored, wishing someone had placed a cache nearby for me to find.

I know that some of you just can't comprehend the fact that someone actually can enjoy something that you can't enjoy at all, but it's true. Not every cache has to be loved by every cacher. And nobody HAS to find every cache in their area.

You know Mushtang if there were a way to filter out LPCs from our PQS nobody would be complaining. The problem is that some us us have hectic schedules and we want to load up and go caching for a few hours when we can. We don't want to do research trying to figure out from the cache page/logs which caches are LPCs. We don't want to waste our limited time driving over to a cache only to find out that it's another LPC. Those that don't like puzzle caches can filter those out. Those that don't like high terrain caches can fitler those out. Those that don't like any micro can fitler those out. But there is no filter for caches for LPCs. :lol: Edited by TrailGators
You know Mushtang if there were a way to filter out LPCs from our PQS nobody would be complaining. The problem is that some us us have hectic schedules and we want to load up and go caching for a few hours when we can. We don't want to do research trying to figure out from the cache page/logs which caches are LPCs. We don't want to waste our limited time driving over to a cache only to find out that it's another LPC. Those that don't like puzzle caches can filter those out. Those that don't like high terrain caches can fitler those out. Those that don't like any micro can fitler those out. But there is no filter for caches for LPCs. :lol:
I thought we got over this chestnut 5 angsty LPC threads ago. Don't make me drag out Steve's Three-Step Plan to Avoid Caches You Don't Like (STSPACYDL) (patent pending).

You know Mushtang if there were a way to filter out LPCs from our PQS nobody would be complaining. The problem is that some us us have hectic schedules and we want to load up and go caching for a few hours when we can. We don't want to do research trying to figure out from the cache page/logs which caches are LPCs. We don't want to waste our limited time driving over to a cache only to find out that it's another LPC. Those that don't like puzzle caches can filter those out. Those that don't like high terrain caches can fitler those out. Those that don't like any micro can fitler those out. But there is no filter for caches for LPCs. :lol:

So are you complaining that people are placing caches you don't like, or are you complaining that is takes a little effort on your part to enjoy this hobby? Maybe both?

I've never bought into this argument of not being able to filter them out, therefore they're ruining the game argument. If you eliminate all 1/1 caches from your searches you'll get rid of 95% of them, right? You'll also get rid of a few other caches that do have the qualities you demand in a cache, but I suspect that number would be low. Even if it was high, and you were eliminating a large number of caches that you'd like, you're still going to have a LOT of caches that you do like. So what's to complain about?

I thought we got over this chestnut 5 angsty LPC threads ago. Don't make me drag out Steve's Three-Step Plan to Avoid Caches You Don't Like (STSPACYDL) (patent pending).

I'm not being angsty at all. I have a legitimate point. Face it, there is no method that is as efficient as a filter on a PQ.

So are you complaining that people are placing caches you don't like, or are you complaining that is takes a little effort on your part to enjoy this hobby? Maybe both?

I've never bought into this argument of not being able to filter them out, therefore they're ruining the game argument. If you eliminate all 1/1 caches from your searches you'll get rid of 95% of them, right? You'll also get rid of a few other caches that do have the qualities you demand in a cache, but I suspect that number would be low. Even if it was high, and you were eliminating a large number of caches that you'd like, you're still going to have a LOT of caches that you do like. So what's to complain about?

Hey, that's step one of STSPACYDL. You're lucky the patent hadn't been approved yet or you'd be in BIG trouble.