Cachemate will not load on my Palm

Long story short: My palm m105 would not hotsync, did hard reset (batteries out for 5 minutes), cachemate icon gone, placed cachemate.prc and mathlib.prc in quick install, palm will hotsync but they do not load on my palm.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Not much information to go on. Has it ever worked before, or this this something new you are trying?

Long story short: My palm m105 would not hotsync, did hard reset (batteries out for 5 minutes), cachemate icon gone, placed cachemate.prc and mathlib.prc in quick install, palm will hotsync but they do not load on my palm.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Not much information to go on. Has it ever worked before, or this this something new you are trying?

Check to make sure your COM port is the same set, I had that also and had to change com ports..

I don't think there is a problem hotsyncing (...if I create a name in the address 'folder' in the Pam desktop it'll show up on the Palm after the hotsync.)

Before I throw in the towel I'd like to ask everyone something: could someone (using Vista if possible) give me step by step instructions in the downloading, unzipping and loading of cachemate from the website (smittyware) to my palm.

Maybe I am doing someting wrong and don't even realize it.

Thanks

I can tell you what I do know, which may or may not help your problem.

Hotsync works fine under Vista (with fiddlling) - the problem is that the Palm QuickInstall program will not run under Vista. My problem was that I had Cachemate on my Palm, but could not add new PDB files. I figured out how to do this today:

Solution: Simple in retrospect (after killing the morning on this).

Create PDB file with GSAK

Insert SD card into the PC's card reader

Create a directory called /CacheMate

Copy PDB file to /Cachemate

Next time you boot up the Palm, it will scan the card and import caches from all the PDB files in that directory.

So that solved that problem.

My advise to you, BeerBrewer, is to find someone with a non-Vista PC (hopefully that also uses a Palm) and use their Quickinstall to install Cachemate. I know that's lousy advice, except that it should work, and be a one-time deal (with luck). After that, you can use the SD card trick above to get caches onto your Palm.

Good luck!

Ghost

I may only know enough to be dangerous but...I want to take a stab at this with a couple of options.

A lot of cheap gizmos & gadgets come with card reader accessories. My daughter had this (cheap) little music player called a juice box that used SD cards. It actually came with an adapter that the SD card went into and then plugged into the USB of our computers. It ends up being the thing we use on the computers that don't have the ability to insert SD cards. (But I did read that the poster's palm did not use SD card.)

Can you access the Palm like an external drive when it's hooked up to the computer by it's hot sync cord and transfer over that way? I honestly can't test this method myself (or I would have). I have issues hot syncing the Palm by cord and can only do it wirelessly. (I've written Palm - it's a 38 step process to fix and ultimately it'll wipe out/reset the Palm. Not my most favorite fix since I can do it wirelessly without resetting.)

Again, I apologize if I'm mudding the waters.

I do know that there are a lot or work arounds for Vista. My son has Vista and has been successful at getting everything to work. Unfortunately, he's not that familiar with Cachemate. BUT, when he's home later, I will have him contact the OP with some Vista recommendations.