First time GPS owner looking for out of the box tips

Is there a recommended procedure for out of the box GPS setup? Do I run updater on the GPS first, then acquire signals? Do I use Garmins waypoint software or Easy GPS? The Garmin MapSource City Navigator North America V.8 will be loaded, the uncompressed version. I also have 2gb and 1gb microSD chips.

These questions pertain to the 76csx model that is supposed to be here in 3 days. Is there a recommended cover/protector?

Sorry for all the questions. Am hoping to do this right the first time and any tips or hints are appreciated.

Terry

I have just taken the GPSr out of the box and set it outside under a clear view of the sky until it acquired all the satellites. I haven't updated the firmware on my GPSr, but for that model it might be recommended.

I got an Invisible Shield for my GPSr. Those are well worth the money and will protect the screen from scratches. I also have a neoprene case.

EasyGPS works just fine for sending the waypoints you download from the site to your GPSr. However, you might look into becoming a Premium Member of the site so you have access to the .gpx files, which have more information. As a Premium Member, you can create Pocket Queries, which container information on as many as 500 caches.

To manage all that data, if you go that way, you might find GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to be a helpful program. It can slice and dice and filter the information any way you choose to slice and dice it. :laughing:

If you have a Palm, or Pocket PC, you might look into "paperless" caching so you don't have to print out the cache pages.

Check the Mapsource Version after you install the City Navigator maps on your PC. You might want to download the latest Version from the Garmin site.

So much to learn . . .

Welcome to the addiction :laughing:

Something I found really, really useful, I read the manual, it answered all sorts of questions.

Already read the manual and the 76 FAQ. No matter how much info you find, there is always that feeling some recent revelation has developed that hasn't been published yet. :ph34r:

I intend on becoming a premium member once the website functions on weekends.

Thanks all!

Before taking the unit out for the first cache hunt, get a screen protector!

I was lucky in that I didn't scratch the screen on my GPSr on my first few cache hunts, but I was lucky.

I have been making my own protectors from Palm screen protectors (a friend got 30 with his used Palm so he was willing to share a few). So far, my homemade protector has worked.

I was lucky in that I didn't scratch the screen on my GPSr on my first few cache hunts, but I was lucky.

I have been making my own protectors from Palm screen protectors (a friend got 30 with his used Palm so he was willing to share a few). So far, my homemade protector has worked.

I just tried to order an Invisible Shield, but they want a minimum of $54 to ship it to the UK. So how do you make your own then?

I just tried to order an Invisible Shield, but they want a minimum of $54 to ship it to the UK. So how do you make your own then?

I've ordered a protector from InnovationsUK Website here.

Not received it yet though.

I started by making a paper template of the screen. My first was for a eXplorist 100, so the template wasn't hard to design. For the curved parts on the top and bottom of the screen, I measured the arc then used a radius ruler to draw the curves.

Once I had the template, I carefully marked the back of the Palm screen protector (leave the paper backing on). Cut the screen protector just a bit smaller than the template and carefully applied to the GPSr, following the Palm instructions.

Wasn't a perfect install as there are a few microscopic air bubbles, but nothing in the area that is actually used on the GPSr.

I have had the same protector on my 100 for about a year and it has done a good job!

Edited by Fuzzywhip

I started by making a paper template of the screen. My first was for a eXplorist 100, so the template wasn't hard to design. For the curved parts on the top and bottom of the screen, I measured the arc then used a radius ruler to draw the curves.

Once I had the template, I carefully marked the back of the Palm screen protector (leave the paper backing on). Cut the screen protector just a bit smaller than the template and carefully applied to the GPSr, following the Palm instructions.

Wasn't a perfect install as there are a few microscopic air bubbles, but nothing in the area that is actually used on the GPSr.

I have had the same protector on my 100 for about a year and it has done a good job!

I did it a little different, I have a pack of screen protectors for my Ipaq. They're the generic ones from Belkin. Applied the protector lining up the top of the protector with the top of the screen leaving some overlap where the screen bezel curves. Flattened it out smooth with a credit card all the way around then took a razor hobby knife and cut off the extra. No difficult measuring or even lining up. Works great.

screen protector is definitely important. I can't count the number of large "dents" and scratches i've had on my invisible shield covering my 60csx.

Also, find some fun POI databases. Never know when they come in handy (Home Depot, redlight cameras, speed cameras). Also, get a larger transflash card. They're so cheap these days.

Something I found really, really useful, I read the manual, it answered all sorts of questions.

My Magellan didnt come with one. And the company wont send me one. :)

You're not missing anything. The manual that came with my Magellen was slightly better than worthless. Download the full manual from Magellan's website.