Sharing Mapsource from auto unit to new handheld...

Go ahead and give me the "Do a search" answers because I'm a newbie and this has probably been asked. I have a new Garmin 60CSx and I also have a Garmin/Kenwood in dash GPS unit in my truck. Is it possible to somehow retrieve the MapSource (City Navigator V.7 I believe) from the unit in my truck and transfer/share to my handheld? This shouldn't even really be a question as I should have received the disc with my purchase of the first unit right? Not sure why I didn't but I will check with my dealer. In the meantime, is my quest to share the software and save $100 bucks in vain? Are they even compatible? If it helps the Garmin unit in the truck is a Kenwood Model KNA-G510.

If it's pre-loaded it may not have come with a disk. If it did come with a disk you may be able to share it wiht your hand held.

All roads lead to garmin. If you can share it, you will need the disk, and you will need to obtain the unlock code for your GPS.

Edit to add: I just looked. The maps are built in. You have to update your maps and areas via the SD card slot. I doubt there was a disk, and because of that I suspect you will have to buy the software for your handheld.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Actually, I talked to Garmin about something very similar to this just last week. The short answer is you can do what you want.

If you purchase a unit with built in maps (in my case the Nuvi 360), it does not come with a DVD of said maps. However, as an owner of the unit you can request a copy of the DVD and Garmin will send it free of charge. They do not do this automatically, but will do it upon request.

Once you have the DVD, it can actually be activated on up to 2 devices. So you will receive the DVD and install it to your computer and then load maps to your handheld device. That will be the 2nd activation for the software (the unit with preinstalled maps is considered the first activation).

Call Garmin...they were very helpful when I asked them about this.

ETA: I think Navigator 7 will work on GPSMap 60csx...the whole key here is calling Garmin to send you the DVD.

Edited by French.

...ETA: I think Navigator 7 will work on GPSMap 60csx...the whole key here is calling Garmin to send you the DVD.

That's good information. Navigator will work on the handheld.

I have an Ique 3600 with MAPSOURCE (activated). I also have a Etrex Legend without MAPSOURCE, but Garmin activated it to the MAPSOURCE from my IQUE. Works great. then I just ordered an upgrade to the MAPSOURCE as I was due a free upgrade from Garmin. So effectively i get the latest map sets on both of my devices.

Very interesting. Let’s see if I got this right. I have a c330 with CN V.8 (City Navigator). I also have a DVD of CN V.8 with both unlocks used up. At first impression I’m thinking wow, I all ready have the DVD I can unlock it one more time. But then reality set in and I realized that the c330 is CN V.8 NT. Looks like I’ve got to get a “NT” version DVD. Thanks for the heads up!

Very interesting. Let’s see if I got this right. I have a c330 with CN V.8 (City Navigator). I also have a DVD of CN V.8 with both unlocks used up. At first impression I’m thinking wow, I all ready have the DVD I can unlock it one more time. But then reality set in and I realized that the c330 is CN V.8 NT. Looks like I’ve got to get a “NT” version DVD. Thanks for the heads up!

Actually, your post has confused me. If you already have a DVD with the maps and those maps have been unlocked on 2 devices (presumably your C330 and a handheld), then you would have to purchase more unlock codes to do any more activations. The Garmin 60CSx can take City Navigator regular and City Navigator NT maps. I think you can get more maps on the memory card using NT...I believe the NT in the name indicates some type of compression that is necessary for the car units, but not necessary for handhelds.

In my case I ordered the NT version as that's what comes on the Nuvi 360, and Garmin confirmed the NT version of the maps will also work on a handheld.

Actually, I talked to Garmin about something very similar to this just last week. The short answer is you can do what you want.

If you purchase a unit with built in maps (in my case the Nuvi 360), it does not come with a DVD of said maps. However, as an owner of the unit you can request a copy of the DVD and Garmin will send it free of charge. They do not do this automatically, but will do it upon request.

Once you have the DVD, it can actually be activated on up to 2 devices. So you will receive the DVD and install it to your computer and then load maps to your handheld device. That will be the 2nd activation for the software (the unit with preinstalled maps is considered the first activation).

Call Garmin...they were very helpful when I asked them about this.

ETA: I think Navigator 7 will work on GPSMap 60csx...the whole key here is calling Garmin to send you the DVD.

Just a heads up if anyone is interested in doing this......when I read the orig post, it was late Friday. I waited until Monday (4/9) to call Garmin. The service rep I talked to said that indeed it was possible , but that "they" had recently received an e-mail stating that the practice was going to be stopped. He voluntarily said he would check with his supervisor . I gave him the s/n of both my units (a Nuvi660 and a 76CSx) and in a few minutes he came back and said that "they" were still doing it. He asked my name and address to verify the registration information (on record) and said he would have the disk in the mail asap., and said for me to call back after I received the disk if I had any trouble getting the second unit unlocked.

So, if you're interested, you better "get with the program" in case it's about to be stopped.

Thank you Garmin !!

Actually, your post has confused me. If you already have a DVD with the maps and those maps have been unlocked on 2 devices (presumably your C330 and a handheld), then you would have to purchase more unlock codes to do any more activations. The Garmin 60CSx can take City Navigator regular and City Navigator NT maps. I think you can get more maps on the memory card using NT...I believe the NT in the name indicates some type of compression that is necessary for the car units, but not necessary for handhelds.

In my case I ordered the NT version as that's what comes on the Nuvi 360, and Garmin confirmed the NT version of the maps will also work on a handheld.

I have the regular CN v.8 unlocked to my 60CSx and 76C. My c330 has CN NT v.8. Therefore if I get off my butt and quickly try to get a CN NT v.8 DVD I should have another unlock available.

I have the regular CN v.8 unlocked to my 60CSx and 76C. My c330 has CN NT v.8. Therefore if I get off my butt and quickly try to get a CN NT v.8 DVD I should have another unlock available.

Oh...yes...gotcha now. Thanks for clarifying.

I ordered my DVD on Wednesday (when I received my Nuvi 360 and Vista cx), and still haven't gotten it yet. Hopefully today or tomorrow.

Go ahead and give me the "Do a search" answers because I'm a newbie and this has probably been asked. I have a new Garmin 60CSx and I also have a Garmin/Kenwood in dash GPS unit in my truck. Is it possible to somehow retrieve the MapSource (City Navigator V.7 I believe) from the unit in my truck and transfer/share to my handheld? This shouldn't even really be a question as I should have received the disc with my purchase of the first unit right? Not sure why I didn't but I will check with my dealer. In the meantime, is my quest to share the software and save $100 bucks in vain? Are they even compatible? If it helps the Garmin unit in the truck is a Kenwood Model KNA-G510.

Forgive my lack of understanding, but what do Kenwood and Garmin have to do with each other. Is Garmin making a unit for Kenwood to sell?

I own a nuvi 350 and a GPSMAP 60CSx. I called Garmin 5 minutes ago about this. They were really helpful and I was able to order the City Navigator v8.0 DVD for $15.00! They were able to give me another unlock code, so now I can put the maps on the 60CSx, too!

Marty

I own a nuvi 350 and a GPSMAP 60CSx. I called Garmin 5 minutes ago about this. They were really helpful and I was able to order the City Navigator v8.0 DVD for $15.00! They were able to give me another unlock code, so now I can put the maps on the 60CSx, too!

Marty

Did they bother to tell you the City Navigator DVD is on backorder and they won't have any more in until Monday, April 16th at the earliest?

I'm confused why they are charging you $15. And did that $15 cover an extra unlock code? And if so, then you have a 3rd device you are trying to load the software on? Because the way it was explained to me, you are entitled to two unlock codes. One is automatically assigned to the Nuvi, and the other can be used on the GPSMAP 60CSx.

When I found out the DVD was on backorder I asked them to send me a burned copy. I wish they had disclosed the backorder a week ago when I called them. I'm fine with getting a burned copy.

They didn't tell me about the backorder situation, but that doesn't bother me too much. Also, in looking at other threads on this same topic, some people were charged $15.00 (like me), others got theirs free of charge.

I don't know. I didn't feel like arguing. I'll get my DVD eventually, and I didn't have to pay full price for it. I only have the two devices, so I didn't have any use for another unlock code anyway.

Marty

They didn't tell me about the backorder situation, but that doesn't bother me too much. Also, in looking at other threads on this same topic, some people were charged $15.00 (like me), others got theirs free of charge.

I don't know. I didn't feel like arguing. I'll get my DVD eventually, and I didn't have to pay full price for it. I only have the two devices, so I didn't have any use for another unlock code anyway.

Marty

Interesting...I wonder why they charged some and not others. Anyway, in the end it doesn't matter so long as you are happy with what you are getting.

Me...I'll let you know once I successfully unlock the burned DVD maps on my Vista.