Geocoin auction to help a friend

rasj & Stacey

WOW! just... WOW! I am simply amazed at the response my auctions have been getting. You guys are the BEST!! :anitongue: Here's the latest update on Skye.

April 10, 2007 at 03:41 PM EDT

Yesterday doctors gathered several culture samples from Skye to test for bacterial growth. The results indicated that Skye has an infection in both her cerebral spinal fluid and lungs. Although this is something doctors hoped wouldn't happen, they acknowledged that it was a possibility and that they were prepared to respond if it did. Skye is currently being treated with antibiotics, and because Neil and Kate "were such good hippie parents", and never gave Skye antibiotics, the treatments are proving to be very effective. Additionally, to be sure that there was no contamination in the samples, more cultures have been taken and the results should be available in 24-48 hours.

Skye is becoming more responsive to pain stimulus and doctors have indicated that because her movement is consistently crossing her mid line, her awareness level has increased several points on the Glasgow coma scale. Skye is continuing to recover from her surgery. She has been taken off of the respirator and is once again breathing on her own.

It's going to be a long road to recovery, but I feel like she is going to pull out of this. She is a fighter. Please keep the prayers coming. Thanks to everyone that has been praying for her and her family, and thanks to those that have pitched in with the auctions as well. The response is overwhelming. I am honored to be a part of such a wonderful group of people.

Every day, I watch the news and see all of the bad things that people do. The fighting, the killing, the robbing and the drugs. I was starting to believe that the world was just a lost cause, but since I started geocaching, I have been proven wrong. From our local geocaching clubs all of the way up to the national and worldwide communities, the folks that gather to talk about finding tupperware in the woods are the best of the best. You are more than just geocachers, you are what's right in this world. I can't help but to think were our world could be if everyone were as kind, as generous and as caring as you guys. I can only hope that geocaching is a virus that spreads far and fast. Instead of dropping bombs, maybe we should drop GPS units and printouts of caches attached. :laughing:

I'll end today with a link to my recent auctions. I just added several more coins, and some of them are super rare. Some aren't trackable, so I can't post them, but keep checking My items for sale They should show up within a few hours. It usually takes a while before they show up after I list them. The serious collectors probably don't want to miss some of these. I also have a couple of "surprises" coming up that you won't want to miss. I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag, but I will say that a lot of people are pitching in to help out this great cause and I can't thank you all enough for being so supportive.

There are currently 8 coins up, and several more coming in that will go up soon. The geocoin community has been overwhelmingly amazing in their support and donations. :o<_<:unsure:

I can't post each coin in here because some of them aren't trackable, but here's a link to my Coins for sale.

Please bid if you can, or would like them. If you aren't interested in any of the coins then please just say a prayer for Skye. :o

Edited by rasj

Nice coins on there now!!! Who Donated these? Very Generous contributions!

Watching for Skyes recovery- Hope she is on the mend and back at the things she likes to do.

also watching too see what my coins will go for...Not too special, but Ive never sold on ebay, so just to see my coins auctioned will be cool enough, let alone for this worthy cause!...as silly as that may sound :unsure:

Edited by 007BigD

Here's an Update on Skye. There's one more update on the page, and I'll post it next.

April 12, 2007 at 02:21 PM EDT

Skye is continuing to heal from her surgery and her infection. Yesterday afternoon her temperature got up to 103, but by last night had dropped down to around 100. This is just part of dealing with any infection, but the antibiotics are continuing to prove effective and she is showing more signs of improvement. Ben said that her cough has subsided and her breathing is sounding much better. Neil, Kate, and Ben are starting to research good rehabilitation centers that Skye can go to once she comes out of her coma. The next critical step for her as she awakens is responsiveness to voice commands. Once she is able to consistently respond to verbal cues, she will be well on the road to rehabilitation. Neil, Kate, and Ben are also looking into establishing a nonprofit or other similar type of entity that will help with funding Skye's long term care during recovery. If anyone has experience or knows someone who is an expert on establishing these sorts of entities, please let us know, as any direction or advice will be extremely helpful!

All of my auctions that have ended, and been paid for have shipped. I just added a new batch of coins, and there are some that you just don't want to miss. Well that is, unless you already have an unactivated Lackeys geocoin. :huh:

Most coins aren't showing up yet, so keep checking my "items for sale" link. For some reason it can take up to a full day for the listing to show up.

Thanks to everyone for pitching in to help out! Keep those prayer coming, she needs those now more than ever!

Glad to here that the donated coins arrived for the auction. Glad to help out and thanks for the link to the care page and password to the site set up by Skye's friends.I hope the coins do well on ebay ! Very happy to read that she is improving hopefuly to a full recovery soon

April 13, 2007 at 07:43 AM EDT

Last night Skye was taken into surgery for the infection in her cerebral spinal fluid. Her doctors became concerned after her temperature held steady above 100 and her cranial swelling increased. They said that the antibiotics were becoming less effective and the best option would be to remove the infection manually. This procedure took about 30 minutes and the surgeon was able to successfully remove the infection. Fortunately, no surgery had to be performed directly to her brain, because the infection was isolated between her scalp and the artificial layer they had implanted in a previous surgery. Skye is recovering back in the ICU, and is being treated with more effective antibiotics. The surgeon says that there is still an isolated infection in one of Skye's cerebral drainage tubes that will eventually have to be addressed. However, he thinks it would be better for her to rest before further procedures. Skye's Surgeon also told Neil and Kate that prior to surgery he had asked her to lift two fingers. She crossed her middle finger over her index and lifted it up. This is one of the strongest verbal cue responses to date.

Even though Skye has had some setbacks, she is still showing signs of improvement. She is such a strong young woman, and she is fighting as hard as she can. Please continue to pray for her and her family!

Psssst... tsunrisebey has jumped in and added an auction of her own that you definitely do NOT want to miss. I can't link to it here, but you should hurry on over and find it because it's just awesome! :D

Boy what ups and downs :) All still sounds like she is recovering even despite her setbacks. Still sending my thoughts for her and dont let her fade from all of your prayers out there!...She still needs our help!

I couldnt believe my stamped penny is on there!...Never thought id see it on Ebay and what a great pic too-so detailed! Didnt think you would list it there, but I guess why not!- I couldnt help but giggle when I saw it!

Thanks Rasj- Hopefully these sells help the family out a little...They need it!

Latest Update!

18 April 16, 2007 at 06:36 PM EDT

This morning Skye responded several times to Kate and Neil's requests for her to lift her fingers. Other than her feeding tube and the remaining antibiotics for her infection, she is entirely off of all medication, and is continuing to breathe successfully on her own. Skye's cranial pressure, swelling, and temperature is down, and she is physically responding to touch, especially to the bottom of her feet. Doctors are saying that if she stays stable for the next 48-72 hours, she will likely be moved out of the ICU and into a step down unit. Ben has a meeting tomorrow morning with a lawyer to start figuring out the best type of organization or entity to fund Skye's rehabilitation. There are now close to 700 of you who have signed up for Skye's care page, and the profound effect of your love and prayers is evident every day in and around the ICU. Since the accident, Skye has continued to defy the odds, and as she makes this next critical step in her recovery, we ask that you hold her ever closer in your thoughts and prayers, so that she can defy them once again.

My stamped penny went for more than 5.00!!!...Thats a 500% increase in value just over 10 stamps! No more will be available...there all goin on Ebay! :D ...Just kiddin- I know its deeper than that! But for anyone who bid on it and didnt get it, send me your addy and ill get ya one!

I also won my own credit card and had it relisted. Couldnt see it go for 15.00, when I payed over 20.00 back during my little Ebay rampage in the beginning of my career! (yeh- I was excited about coins)

Come on Skye!!! Were rootin fer ya! Pull through for us!

GREAT NEWS!

Latest update!

19 April 18, 2007 at 07:35 AM EDT

Skye has been moved out of the ICU! Although we heard that it could be another 48 hours or more, doctors decided that she was ready for the step down. Her new room is on the 5th floor of Mission, in the Neuro Trauma Care unit. Kate, Neil, and Ben will be getting her situated in her new room this morning, and are preparing to re-start physical therapy later this afternoon. This is such great news as it looks like the intensive care that Skye required is behind her. She now has the opportunity to focus on coming out of her coma and starting her rehabilitation. Neil, Kate, and Ben met with the attorney yesterday and have set the ball in motion to create the appropriate organization to fund Skye's recovery process. Thank you for all of your resource suggestions and fundraising ideas! The paperwork should be processed in the next few days, and as soon as everything is in place we will start working on putting those ideas into action! So keep them coming, and thanks as always for your continued love and prayers as Skye makes this next major step in her recovery.

That is really great news. We are still thinking about her and praying for a speedy recovery. Also hope the family is starting to get a little bit of relief.

Our family knows what you are going through. Some twenty years ago, my younger brother fell from the third floor of a building and had to spend 1 1/2 years in the hospital. Today, all that's left is a slight limp in his left leg. He has recovered from the rest of the injuries.

Never give up hope............ <_<

GREAT NEWS!

Latest update!

19 April 18, 2007 at 07:35 AM EDT

Skye has been moved out of the ICU! Although we heard that it could be another 48 hours or more, doctors decided that she was ready for the step down. Her new room is on the 5th floor of Mission, in the Neuro Trauma Care unit. Kate, Neil, and Ben will be getting her situated in her new room this morning, and are preparing to re-start physical therapy later this afternoon. This is such great news as it looks like the intensive care that Skye required is behind her. She now has the opportunity to focus on coming out of her coma and starting her rehabilitation. Neil, Kate, and Ben met with the attorney yesterday and have set the ball in motion to create the appropriate organization to fund Skye's recovery process. Thank you for all of your resource suggestions and fundraising ideas! The paperwork should be processed in the next few days, and as soon as everything is in place we will start working on putting those ideas into action! So keep them coming, and thanks as always for your continued love and prayers as Skye makes this next major step in her recovery.

THAT is excellent news!! <_<

Although it is going to be a long road ahead, Skye is making progress almost every day. She continues to overcome setback after setback and she is a true fighter!

I had some auctions pulled by ebay because someone reported that a bid was placed without their permission (or something like that), but I have relisted them and added a few more as well.

Thanks for everyone's continued support and please remember to keep Skye in your thoughts and prayers as she enters the next phase of her recovery.

***Attention all bidders***

I wanted to post a warning to everyone who may have bid, or may bid on my geocoin auctions. It seems the spoofers are out and about, looking for someone to sucker. If you have placed a bid on any of my auctions, and you receive an email from "ebay" or an ebay member trying to sell you the coin even though you weren't the winner of the auction, please be warned that it is NOT legitimate. I'm sure most of you have seen this type of scam before but just be careful anyway.

ETA: If you DO receive an email like this, please do not to click on any links and /or reply to the email. That's just for your own safety. Also, immediately forward any suspicious emails to spoof@ebay.com. They will let you know if the email is legit, or a fake.

I can go ahead and tell you that if, for some reason, the winner of any of my auctions can not pay for the item, it will simply be relisted. I have not and will not send out second chance offers on any of my items. That being said, every one of my ended auctions have been paid for and shipped.

Thanks, and we now return you to your previously scheduled program. <_<

Edited by rasj

Ebay just canned all of my auctions. Every one of my auctions were worded exactly alike, so I guess they just now noticed them. Apparently I violated their policy. I will re-list them when I figure out exaclty what the problem is. I'll have to go re-read their policy and maybe make some phone calls to find out how I can do this without violating the rules. I apologize for the inconvience this may have caused to everyone. If I can not figure out how to list these so that it's legal, I will just return all of the coins to the folks that donated them. Hopefully I can get it worded right though.

The good news is that I have raised $1049.39 for Skye and her family already! I find that absolutely amazing, and I did nothing but auction two of my geocoins. You guys did the rest, and all of you have really made a big difference. Not only did you help out a family that you do not know, you also completely changed my outlook on life as well. Before this happened, I always tried to be a good person, and help those around me that need it, but after this, I have begun to take it to a new level. There are plenty of things that I could be doing with my life to help others, and I have decided to start doing just that.

I started by sending DeafHunt a bunch of geocoins, and apologizing to him for being rather mean in a thread he started. Next I intend to join a volunteer group here locally such as habitat for humanity, mobile meals or maybe a therapy dog group that a local cacher here is a member of. My girlfriend already helps with mobile meals as well. So although this was just intended to help a friend of mine, you guys also helped me in the process. For that I owe you all a big THANK YOU!!

Here is the email I got from ebay.

eBay sent this message to roy sanders (ima_outbid_u).

Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay.

Learn more: http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/name...rid-emails.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------

eBay Listing Removed: Charity (=LS &12362 JM101840155)

Dear ima_outbid_u,

You recently listed the following listing:

120110699600 - United We Cache Geocoin - Charity

120110698834 - Mail Jeep Geocoin LE - Charity Auction

120110697856 - Tempting the Fates Geocoin - Charity

120110700786 - 2007 Generic Geocoin - Charity

120110698602 - Anthus Secret Agent Geocoin - Charity

120110696520 - Castleman Star Geocoin - Charity

120110695508 - Geo Credit Card geocoin - Charity

The listing was removed because it violated the eBay Charity policy. The violation occurred when you included the following information in your listing:

My current auctions are to raise money for a good friend / co-worker. His daughter sustained severe brain injuries in a bicycle accident, and he could really use some help right now. Of course he is out of work, literally camping out in the waiting room of the hospital. Unfortunately his bills haven't stopped, so I'm trying to do what I can to help him out in his time of need. Please be generous in your bidding. Every penny that I raise will go directly to him and his family. (The shipping and paypal fees will be payed for by me.) I accept paypal only. Thanks for looking and good luck!

All fees related to this listing have been credited to your account. We also notified members who placed bids on the item that the listing has

been canceled.

I believe that the problem comes from your use of the word "Charity". eBay HIGHLY regulates Charity auctions. Yours didn't qualifty to be listed as a "charity" auction because it didn't meet their criteria of:

"soliciting on behalf of recognized tax-deductible charitable organizations (for example, 501©(3) status or equivalent with the IRS).

OR had receive advance written consent for the solicitation from the benefiting nonprofit. "

I BELIEVE that if you remove the "charity" designations and maybe add a little bit of infomation about the coins themselves, they should be ok.

Ebay just canned all of my auctions.

I'm sorry this happened to your auctions as well. Mine for MOD were also pulled. I have a week left to raise another $400 and meet my $1000 goal, so I'll just relist them some other way. I'm sure since enough people here know what you are doing you can still probably get your coins to sell and help out Skye and her family! It's great that you've already raised so much, and your right these people are so wonderful and giving!

Thats Corporate Ebay for ya! But I guess anyone could describe the listing as charity, and hopefully thats where they are comin from.

Bet that wouldnt have happened on our new Auction site!...But also wouldnt generate the publicity as Ebay either :lol:

Hope they do well the next round...I dont want that dang coin back! Good luck and sorry for the hassles!

Here's the latest update. when I read it, I had "chill bumps" all over me! I will take care of the auctions this week. I'll just reword them so that they comply with ebay policy. Until then, please keep praying for Skye and I dare you to read the update below without tearing up just a bit!

April 21, 2007 at 10:41 AM EDT

Skye is recovering beautifully from her surgery. Yesterday, doctors took out her large plastic tracheotomy tube and replaced it with a small metal one. The new one has a breathing valve, which helps reroute much of Skye's breathing through her nose and mouth. Skye's movements are seeming much more pronounced. She reached up to scratch her face, and across her body to scratch a scab on her arm. The physical therapy team, who has been working to step up Skye's therapy level, sat her up in her bed during their last session. They say that this is great not only for Skye's blood circulation, but also her stabilizing muscles. Kate, Neil, and Ben have also been working to introduce familiar objects, smells, sounds, etc. that appeal to her senses, in hopes of producing a cognitive response. Kate shared that she gave Skye a pen yesterday, and while at first Skye's finger movements on the pen were erratic, she soon had the pen in a standard grip and moved it as if she was writing.

Since the accident, especially during some of the darker times, there have been several inspirational stories that have brought comfort and hope to Neil, Kate, and Ben. One of which was the story of Saul Raisin (http://www.saulraisin.com/). Saul, who was a pro cyclist at 23 fell from his bike during a race and suffered a traumatic brain injury. He was in a coma, and much like Skye was not expected to survive, and if he did survive, was supposed to be paralyzed for life. Saul however, much like Skye beat the odds and survived, but he didn't stop there. He is now back on his bike, engaged to be married, and living a happy and restored life. Kate and Neil were discussing this story yesterday, and how nice it would be to try to track down a number and get in touch with Saul. Within minutes of this conversation the phone rang. The person on the other end told Kate that someone wanted to talk to her, she then heard the voice of Saul Raisin on the other end of the line. He had called because he had heard Skye's story and wanted to send his love and support for her recovery. Skye's story touched Saul, much like it has touched all of us. She is continuing to beat the odds, and like Saul we know she can heal from this injury and come back to us fully restored.

Funny you should mention Saul Raisin - I have been meaning to email you and mention him so you may share his story with Skye's parents. A day late and a dollar short...but I have been on vacation the past few days and part of what i have been doing is attending a few stages of the Tour de Georgia bike race. Saul is originally from Dalton, GA and took a parade lap at the start of a stage of the race from his home town the other day. He is actually ready to race again, but the powers that be want him to wait at least a year from when his crash was...coming up soon! Anyway, I didn't have any worthwhile geocoins to contribute to your auctions, but I did pick up something the other day that might be appropriate auction items. Email is on the way...

Here's the latest update. when I read it, I had "chill bumps" all over me! I will take care of the auctions this week. I'll just reword them so that they comply with ebay policy. Until then, please keep praying for Skye and I dare you to read the update below without tearing up just a bit!

April 21, 2007 at 10:41 AM EDT

Skye is recovering beautifully from her surgery. Yesterday, doctors took out her large plastic tracheotomy tube and replaced it with a small metal one. The new one has a breathing valve, which helps reroute much of Skye's breathing through her nose and mouth. Skye's movements are seeming much more pronounced. She reached up to scratch her face, and across her body to scratch a scab on her arm. The physical therapy team, who has been working to step up Skye's therapy level, sat her up in her bed during their last session. They say that this is great not only for Skye's blood circulation, but also her stabilizing muscles. Kate, Neil, and Ben have also been working to introduce familiar objects, smells, sounds, etc. that appeal to her senses, in hopes of producing a cognitive response. Kate shared that she gave Skye a pen yesterday, and while at first Skye's finger movements on the pen were erratic, she soon had the pen in a standard grip and moved it as if she was writing.

Since the accident, especially during some of the darker times, there have been several inspirational stories that have brought comfort and hope to Neil, Kate, and Ben. One of which was the story of Saul Raisin (http://www.saulraisin.com/). Saul, who was a pro cyclist at 23 fell from his bike during a race and suffered a traumatic brain injury. He was in a coma, and much like Skye was not expected to survive, and if he did survive, was supposed to be paralyzed for life. Saul however, much like Skye beat the odds and survived, but he didn't stop there. He is now back on his bike, engaged to be married, and living a happy and restored life. Kate and Neil were discussing this story yesterday, and how nice it would be to try to track down a number and get in touch with Saul. Within minutes of this conversation the phone rang. The person on the other end told Kate that someone wanted to talk to her, she then heard the voice of Saul Raisin on the other end of the line. He had called because he had heard Skye's story and wanted to send his love and support for her recovery. Skye's story touched Saul, much like it has touched all of us. She is continuing to beat the odds, and like Saul we know she can heal from this injury and come back to us fully restored.

Both Amazing stories :laughing:

That is a really good story and offers alot of hope for the family. And there goes those crazy coincidences again!!! The Darndest things happen at the Darndest times, I tell ya!

Great news on skye too! :) Hope the next news is good news!

I got an email from one of the bidders of my penny takin me up on my offer for my penny if you bid thing I mentioned :lol: I will extend my offer of one of my stamped pennies to anyone who has bid on any of Skyes Auctions now. I know its not much...BUT IT WENT FOR $5.00!!...and I know how you guys are about these silly little geosigthingys we leave behind all over :D:)

If you think that's something.... here's the last few updates. :laughing:

The first one is a an update. The sceond one is message from Skye's parents, and the last two are, well, miracles! :laughing::D:D

23 April 24, 2007 at 11:30 AM EDT

Ever since Skye’s last tracheotomy procedure, air has been allowed to travel over her vocal cords. She has been making sounds for the last two days, especially when people come to visit. Also, she is becoming more aware of her face as she is starting to take objects that are in her hand and bring them to her mouth. Ben said that when they were in with her yesterday, she even started to lightly bite the pen he had given her. Skye’s vitals are the strongest they have been since the accident. In fact her doctors say that she is almost ready to make the move out of Mission and into a rehabilitation center. Neil, Kate, and Ben had their first interview with Care Partners of Asheville yesterday, and have two more this week with Carolina in Charlotte, and the Shepard Center in Atlanta. They will be talking to representatives of all three, as well as visiting their facilities in order to decide on the best place for Skye’s rehabilitation. Many of you have expressed an interest in visiting Skye once she became well enough to receive visitors. Neil, Kate, and Ben feel that she is at that point, and would like to invite those who are interested to send a note to Ben at redriderbb@hotmail.com to set up an appropriate time.

22 April 22, 2007 at 10:03 PM EDT

You have all touched our hearts so very deeply with your love, support and prayers for Skye. While Neil and I haven’t had the chance yet to talk with each of you personally, please know how very much we appreciate you. Your network of support has been our safety net. We are so moved by the outpouring of love from near and far. It has been incredible to witness the kind of impact Skye has on her friends and family and even on those who haven’t met her yet. If she could, she would be humbly and tearfully thanking each of you for reaching out to her.

We want you all to know that every day we are reading your messages to Skye and we know, on some level, she is hearing and finding great comfort and strength in your thoughts, love and prayers. We can’t even begin to thank Sefton for maintaining these Carepages so beautifully and keeping all of you who care about Skye connected. Sefton, your love of Skye shines through so brightly. You are an incredible and wonderful soul and we love you so very dearly. We are deeply honored that Skye holds such an important place in your heart. Thank you from the very bottom of ours.

Skye is facing this challenge in typical Skye-fashion, with incredible strength, grace and bravery. I’ve always told Skye she’s my hero because she’s so brave. It’s not that she’s fearless. She has more than her share of fears. It’s that she recognizes those fears and instead of shrinking from them, challenges and moves through them. That’s what being brave is all about. She feared heights, so she took up rock-climbing. She feared water, yet she went paddling in an ocean kayak in New Zealand with dolphins swimming around her boat. She’s uncomfortable in confined spaces, but she went caving in Costa Rica with Spanish speaking guides when she didn’t even speak the language. Now, as we watch her face her greatest challenge I mean it more than ever. Skye, you truly are my hero.

Thank you all once again and please continue to keep Skye in your hearts and prayers as she continues on her road to recovery. We understand it will be a long one, but your outpouring of love and support make it an easier path to travel.

We love you,

Kate and Neil

24 April 25, 2007 at 03:01 PM EDT

Skye’s improvements over the last 24 hours have been substantial. Her movements are now the most frequent they have been since the accident. Yesterday, Kate gave her some ChapStick and she put it on her lips. Today she put it on again, but this time, applied it by touching her finger to the ChapStick and then her finger to her lips (the way she always did before the accident). Kate says that she had her left eye open for most of the day and both eyes open during today’s physical therapy session, which lasted about 15 minutes. She looked directly at Ben several times and ran her fingers through his hair, and has even started to write on the paper they put under her pen. Earlier today she wrote several numbers and the word "bring". Also, when one of her visitors was leaving her room this afternoon Ben asked her if she was going to tell him bye. She raised her hand high in the air, wiggled her fingers and held two up like a peace sign. Everyone around her, including her doctors and nurses are truly amazed by what is happening.

April 26, 2007 at 06:09 AM EDT

Skye continued to write on her paper yesterday. In addition to the word "bring", she also wrote the words "Kim" and "just" as well as other letters and numbers. Although she could have stopped there for the day with these incredible feats, Skye, of course, had something else up her sleeve. Last night, when Kate, Neil, and Skye's Midwife were in Skye's room, Kate asked Skye if she wanted to write anything else. Skye started to write 3 digits, a dot, and 4 more digits. As they looked at what she had written, they recognized that it could be a phone number. In fact, it looked a lot like a Mission hospital number. They all looked up at the whiteboard in front of Skye's bed and saw that the number matched the room phone number that Skye's nurse had written for Kate and Neil! Skye had visually recognized, processed, and recorded the number to her paper. Everyone continues to be in awe of the seemingly exponential progress that Skye is making, and if yesterday's progress is any indicator of what is to come, there's no telling what she will do today! Skye, you're amazing!

WOW! That's truly amazing. We continue to pray for Skye's recovery and for her family as well. We look forward to reading more on Skye's progress. I have got to stop reading this at work because everytime I read about Skye's progress I tear up and can't help but cry. It's such a wonderful miracle!!

WOW! That's truly amazing. We continue to pray for Skye's recovery and for her family as well. We look forward to reading more on Skye's progress. I have got to stop reading this at work because everytime I read about Skye's progress I tear up and can't help but cry. It's such a wonderful miracle!!

I know what you mean. But I still check the page about once an hour just to read the messages and all. Everyone here at work huddles around my desk when I pull up the page so we can all read the latest news together. We call and check on Neil usually once a day, and it's awesome to hear him back in good spirits. I don't know how much Skye will recover, and only time will tell, but I can tell you from talking with people that have a lot of experience in the field that we are seeing miracles every day, and I hope they continue until she is able to walk out of the care facility and go home. I am sure there will be one heck of a welcome home party waiting on her. :D

Thank you for sharing the updates Rasj :anicute: The last few days of updates brought tears to my eyes. Its very close to my heart since my own son just had brain surgery from an accident. I can relate on so many levels. We are continuing to pray for Skye each night and will keep it up. Go Skye :D and a big thanks to Rasj for sharing the updates. Once you get the ebay thing working again I would like to send you some coins to auction. God bless to all.

Newest Update

May 01, 2007 at 07:33 AM EDT

Yesterday afternoon Skye's doctor signed the release forms, and Skye made the move out of Mission and into Care Partners rehabilitation center. As expected, everything related to the move went smoothly. Skye is now in her new, larger room and is preparing for her first day of rehabilitation. Today her therapists have planned to fit her with a special wheelchair that will allow them to take her to different places in the facility, and perhaps outside for some fresh air. On the improvement front, Kate said that Skye held up her leg for an extended period yesterday, and stuck her tongue out when she asked her to. Also, she said that Skye is reaching over quite a bit to lift her left arm with her right hand, almost as if she's giving herself some physical therapy on that arm.

In case you were wondering. I still have several geocoins to auction. I will resume the auctions soon. Neil and Kate have set up a charity through their lawyers, to help fund Skye's rehabilitation. Skye's employer is providing the web hosting and all for it. It is almost up and running. Since eBay has canceled my auctions for violating their charity policy, I decided to wait until I could list them "legally." Hopefully by the end of this week, everything should be in place so that I can resume the auctions. As soon as Skye's website is online, I will post the link for everyone that is interested.

I talked with Neil on Sunday, and he requested that I donate the money we have raised directly to Skye's fund instead of giving it to him. Per his wishes, I will be doing that just as soon as Skye's account is up and running. Paypal has a rule about only allowing $500.00 per month to be withdrawn, so it's taking a bit longer than expected to get the money out, but it will all be going to Skye's fund as soon as PayPal allows me to get my hands on it. ;)

Thanks to everyone for their continued prayers, and be on the lookout for my auctions to resume. There are still some VERY nice coins sitting here that you don't want to miss! :D

The latest AMAZING updates!

30 May 07, 2007 at 09:31 AM EDT

This weekend, Skye continued to show substantial improvements. Her therapists gave the ok for her first wheelchair trip outside, so she was able to breathe a little mountain fresh air in between several therapy sessions. On Friday evening Skye started to pull on the IV line running into her arm. Kate told her that she needed to be patient and that she only had 11 more days to wait, and it would be taken out. Skye started moving her hand like she wanted to write something, so Kate gave her a pen and paper. She wrote "She has 10 days left until comfortable". Kate checked the schedule for when the IV was going to be taken out, and sure enough it was 10 days instead of 11! Also, Kate has regularly been giving Skye some lip balm to put on her lips. After she handed her some over the weekend, Skye wrote the words "Burt's Bees", which was the brand that Kate had been giving her. In one of Skye's Saturday therapy sessions, she was able to stand with assistance for about 20 seconds, and on Saturday evening she wrote the words "Read my favorite books to me". Kate, Neil, and Ben have been reading excerpts from "Opal" and the "Poisonwood Bible", as well as Skye's favorite Nelson Mandela quote. Skye continues to do self stimulation on her left arm by moving and stretching it with her right, and for the first time has started to move her left index finger on her own. Kate and Neil thought that you would all like to see some of Skye's writing, so we've posted the two links below:

"She has 10 days left until comfortable"

"Burts Bees"

29 May 04, 2007 at 09:45 AM EDT

Yesterday, Skye's therapists were able to get her into her wheelchair for a longer period of time. Unlike the day before when they felt she needed more recovery time, her blood pressure remained steady, and now they feel she will likely be able to be in it more often. One of Skye's therapy sessions consists of verbal commands with physical responses. The therapists for this session shared that Skye's physical responses, while not yet classified as "consistent" are certainly well on their way. Kate said that last night Skye rested soundly from her busy day. Wednesday night was Neil's first night back at work. When he called Kate to check up on Skye, Kate handed her the phone. When she heard her dad on the other end of the line, she started to make new sounds that Kate described as mumbled talking. Although she couldn't make out any of the words Skye was saying, Skye would consistently make the sounds in response to something Neil would say to her. This "conversation" lasted for several minutes, and when she was through talking, she shut the phone, and handed it back to her mom.

28 May 02, 2007 at 10:24 PM EDT

Today was a great day for Skye's rehabilitation. Her therapists were able to fit her for a wheelchair this morning, however they felt that she needed to recover a bit more before she was able to be in the chair for any significant length of time. Later this afternoon, Skye was able to take a shower. The shower room at the center is equipped with a special harness that holds Skye as she bathes. She reached for the hand held shower nozzle several times and proceeded to wash herself. When she was finished she took the towel that her nurses gave her and partially dried herself off. Squeaky clean Skye is now resting up from her busy day, and will be refreshed and ready to go full speed again tomorrow.